PDA

View Full Version : How low can you go

Softy
05-13-2002, 03:32 AM
How low can an e36 with sport package go before you blow out your shocks? Is it safe to just get springs and no performance shocks?

Anyone tried using a sleeve type system to get height adjustability on their cars instead of full coil-overs? Saw this on Nopi and was wondering if anyone had any comments. All I know about it is it looks CHEAP ($$ wise).

http://vstore.nopi.com/partdetails.asp?ProductID=455+2677

djcontra
05-15-2002, 09:33 AM
If you get good springs, it'll be fine
but your stock shocks will blow anyway over time because they're probably old.

If you get those coilover sleeves, it is HIGHLY recommended you get better shocks and struts as well. I was considering this as well, but my mechanic said "what's the point? you'll spend all this money to have me install them and be back in a week with blown shocks, and i'll have to do everything all over again"

So i saved up and got a full coilover kit, but i think i might sell it and get koni's with h&r springs, and then coilover sleeves. I find my ride is really stiff. Good for hugging corners, horrible over bumpy roads.

Softy
05-15-2002, 03:44 PM
Thanks for he advice. I'm just hoping to avoid a full suspension job as I was to retain the stock ride comfort. I find coilovers too hard for city driving when I goto work even on the lightest settings. Downtown streets can be a killer.

I guess I should have mentioned this would be used soley for photo shoots rather than driving. Just don't want the shocks to blow in the first 5 km of driving. I know for most japanese cars lower springs don't have a major impact on shock life unless you drop more than 1". Just wondering if there was a similar rule of thumb for BMWs.