PDA

View Full Version : how to bypass 3way thermostat?

felixthecat
02-17-2004, 06:56 PM
i figured i'd put it here too,nobody in e-30 seems to know.its an 84' 318i m10 i want to bypass that stupid 3 way thermostat so i can use an electric water pump.wich hoses go where?

jm1602
02-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Thermostat or temperature sensor housing?

felixthecat
02-17-2004, 10:55 PM
the thermostat,1 hose comes from lower rad,meets thermostat,splits into two ,one goes into the head,the other into the water pump.im pretty good at this stuff,this one has me stumped ,i cant find a coolant flow chart anywhere!:confused:

jm1602
02-19-2004, 03:43 AM
I've just been out in my freezing garage looking at my car.

My thermostat has the bottom opening connected by hose to the radiator, one to the water pump and one to the temperature sensor housing. Keep in mind that my car has twin side draft carbs so there is no coolant going to heat the carb like on a stock motor.

Two possible flow patterns, Thermostat closed and open.
Closed
Start at the heater core, return hose goes to the water pump, thermostat closed so radiator is bypased and flow goes to the temperature sensor housing, into the head and back to the heater core.

Open
From the heater core to the water pump, through the open thermostat to the radiator, to the radiator return hose, to the water temperature sensor housing back into the head back to the heater core.

I think this makes sense. For my motor anyway. For example, I had a bum thermostat that wouldn't open. No access to the radiator which resulted in overheating.

felixthecat
02-19-2004, 04:21 AM
i just capped the recirclulating hose ,i cant belive i couldn't figure it out sooner!(i just got in from the garagefrom doing it and saw your post!)thanx alot for the info (and going out in your cold garage for me though*th-up*