PDA

View Full Version : HELP, Brake Lights stopped working...

Skimeister
02-17-2004, 03:58 PM
My 1990 325i has been running like a dream all winter long. Yesterday my "check brake lights (!)" light came on. I thought "no problem, just a bulb", but upon checking I found that none of the brake lights work ! All three....dead. I checked the #6 fuse, it's all good. So what can it be ? I still drove to work today, but without brake lights its only the matter of time before I'm rearended by some SUV. Please, Any suggestions ?:rolleyes:

BMWE30
02-18-2004, 12:27 AM
I had the same problem...I was driving one night and my CD player started sliding outta the slot in the dash :confused: . I pushed it back in and ALL of my dash lights and brake lights and marker lights went out. The whole diagnostic panel lit right up. I got home, and checked it. Apparently a CD player wire grounded something and blew the fuse that controls all of these things (weird eh?). Cd player and headlights still worked through all of this tho. Just goes to show ya even if the fuse looks okay it could still be blown. haha....even now the right hand side of my climate control panel goes dark...you just tap on the face to get the lights back....and my power windows still dont work...they did for like 2 seconds once when my friend opened the door :D ....Ill figure it all out someday when its warmer.

BladeRunner
02-19-2004, 12:31 AM
not sure but it could be sensor for your brakes. it could be loose connection or just plan bought the farm. the sensor is located near your brake pedal. try that and see.

GusRacer
02-19-2004, 04:52 AM
yeah i had the same problem on my 325, for me it was the sensor that detects when u put down the brake pedal....its just to little things that clip onto a swith, take out your under dash covering and have a look around shouldnt be too hard to find....if that doesnt work, try ya fuse....www.bmwe30.net has a section about fuses

beammer12000
02-23-2004, 07:08 PM
the switch on the brake pedal should be the problem replace that and the lights should work.

BladeRunner
02-24-2004, 01:35 AM
one think to note that swtich is a b**** to work with if your larger than average. good to check it everytime you turn bolts, it should light up if you apply twice the pressure of resting your foot on pedal. if just resting your foot on pedal makes brake lights then the switch is not place correct.

Skimeister
02-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Yes, it was that switch!
It was a b!*(# to remove...pretty much broke it while yanking it out.
Bought a new one from the dealer for 25$. Brake lights work fine now.
Thanks guys !

BladeRunner
02-29-2004, 05:17 AM
nice to know it worked. i shouldn't have added that resting foot thing in my past post since everyone likes thier peddles to be a certain firmness. Mine are very firm and race like so...it's a pain in stop-n-go traffic esp. the clutch (5sp manual) i now have one cafle muscle that's bigger than the other.