PDA

View Full Version : Project Titan update...

djcontra
02-17-2004, 06:51 AM
Well, as some of you may know, I've been working on a particular project car of mine for almost a year now, but I can finally say that things are really starting to fall into place now. Progress has been slowed down a lot by the sale of my 2nd e36 not going so well, and until it's sold, progress will continue to remain slow for certain things, but coesmetically only.

Right now, the biggest headache was trying to find the right pulley sizes for my supercharger kit because it's completely custom, and NONE of the respected tuning companies were willing to devulge their ''secret'' combination of pulley sizes to me. After much research, and checking many bmw and mustang forums, I've found that the ideal setup is 6" crank, and 3.33" s/c pullies. The output on a setup will be roughly 11psi. On my car right now, there is a 6.66" (or 6.83") crank pulley and 3.70" supercharger pulley, but it's only putting out very small boost (maybe 4psi max), and I'm only getting 190rwhp on the average day (more during the cold winter months though! :)).
I finally gave up trying to get answers from people, and ended up just buying 3.33" and a 3.125" supercharger pullies because they're only $50 USD each as opposed to buying the 6" crank pulley at $200 USD. I know what I'm in for though, my supercharger will probably want to put out MORE than 12psi, which is NOT going to be good for my stock internals, so I've also put in an order for a nice adjustable blow off valve/dump valve which will release pressure at anything above 11psi for me (at least this is how I hope it's going to work :D).
Once the pullies come in this week, I'll start praying for nicer weather, because those two components are the last key elements in my project aside from getting the ECU reprogrammed (mark! my phone call will be made soon, be ready for me!).
Once the weather gets to a point where I can work on the car without my knuckles freezing, the following mods will be installed immediately because all but the pulley have been sitting in the basement for far too long:

engine/drivetrain:
-3.33" supercharger pulley
-large front mount intercooler (to replace my smaller one)
-M3 Injectors
-8.5lb flywheel
-e34 m5 clutch kit
-blow off valve
-all new supercharger and intercooler piping
-HKS foam air filter (it's nice and compact so I can finally install my ellipsoids)
-new valve cover and spark plug gaskets (boy are they ever leaking on my car)
-colder spark plugs (on standby in case I need them)
-short shifter
-new guibo
-new water pump w/ metal impeller
-80' thermostat w/ 80' fan switch (to complete my fan delete mod)
-new idle control valve

exhaust:
-ssautochrome headers (the ebay ones :D)
-custom H-pipe for o2 sensor
-free flowing dual inlet/outlet catalytic converter
-dual racing resonators
-straight pipes to the nice and fat rolled lip tips
-yep, there is no muffler mentioned in this list *smoke*
(to be honest, I had noise boys remove my muffler before, and when we tried various performance mufflers, there was no difference between sound until I removed my resonators, so I didn't spend money on buying one this time around)

interior/exterior:
-authentic full rieger infinity I kit (abs, and includes the huge EVO wing)
-full rieger sticker package (adds an extra 1000rwhp)
-replica m3 mirrors w/ retrofitted power/heat elements
-smoked corners (already on the car)
-rear window spoiler (authentic eurostyle product)
-full red led interior light conversion and upgrades
-full led exterior lighting (aside from headlamps)
-6000k HID headlamps w/ ellipsoids
-6000k HID foglamps (possibly ellipsoid fogs in the future)
-two tone paint job w/ vinyl decals
-blacked out roofliner
-boost and pyrometer gauges
-carbon fiber hood (w/ vents)
-custom e46 style hood (grills joined to the rest of the hood, but will need to be done in carbon fiber)
-Z3 style metal fenders (if I can't find a cf hood with vents...I dont want too much going on up front so I wont settle for both)

suspension:
-FK Konigsport coilovers
-18x8.5 front and 18x9.0 rear ADR M-Sport (but I might trade them up for BBS LM's instead, or Hamann PG-1's)
-M3 x-brace
-front and rear strut braces
-urethane front/rear shock mounts
-new control arm bushings

fun stuff:
-camera mount (already installed, but soon to be relocated)
-led mood lighting (already installed)
-strobes
-upgraded stereo (nothing too fancy though)
-a custom a/c pulley to work with my charger ('cause it's no fun driving with no A/C in the summer! :))

*whew*
I think that's all of it, I might be missing SOME things, but whatever, you get the point, there is ALOT of things going on this car soon. The paint and body work (aside from installing the kit which will NEED to be installed to fit my intercooler), may need to wait a bit though until I sell my other car. I dont mind driving around all sanded and primered up for a while though.

Future plans (for next year)
-BMW performance driving school
-scissor doors
-LSD (maybe sooner though!)
-water/alcohol injection
-plasma coils
-racing seats (or better yet vaders *mw*)
-if my engine fails, a modified 2JZ twin turbo engine I have will dropped in as the replacement motor.
-hopefully sponsors!

well, that's the latest scoop, so wish me luck, and expect to see me at some more meets eventually since I've missed so many the past few months :(

thinair
02-17-2004, 08:08 AM
A blower and no LSD? That should be near the top of your to do list man. It makes an insane difference. I don't even want to imagine driving my car without it.

Also, Vaders are not better then racing seats (IMO):P

Nice work though, I can't wait to see it at a meet sometime.

djcontra
02-17-2004, 08:12 AM
I know :(
If my other e36 sells, I'll get an lsd right away for sure, but until then, there's no more money for an lsd right now.

bimmerdude
02-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Good job man cool keep us posted

app
02-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Quite the project! Can't wait to see pics of the two-tone paint job.

JDub
02-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Wow, that's a lot of stuff! Can't wait to see the finished product! Just wondering where did you get the M-Sports from?

djcontra
02-17-2004, 04:42 PM
I bought the rims from wheelmax. They have pretty decent prices I think.

http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/ADR/ADR.htm

BMW BMXer
02-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Two tone paint?

Quack
02-17-2004, 06:28 PM
is it done yet, I'm still waiting.........j/k

djcontra
02-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
Two tone paint?

Paintjob will look similar to this (but obviously better than the photochop :D)

BMW BMXer
02-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Oh. I got scared for a second. THat looks good though.

BMW_7
02-17-2004, 11:04 PM
That is gonna look really good, good luck!

So it's gonna be a show car, or are you gonna track it too?

jmalixi
02-17-2004, 11:59 PM
Quite an impressive list of mods. Good luck!!!

R_JAY
02-18-2004, 05:25 AM
Damn, I can't wait till it's done. Remember you promised me a ride in the summer:D
Are the M-Sports 18x9 or 9.5 in the back?

Powerslide
02-18-2004, 05:29 AM
2JZ engine is your backup???? WHOA.

djcontra
02-18-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by R_JAY
Damn, I can't wait till it's done. Remember you promised me a ride in the summer:D
Are the M-Sports 18x9 or 9.5 in the back?

oops! yeah that's a typo, they're 9.5" in the back.
I'm still not sure I like the rims though. I mounted them on one side of my car (no tires on them yet though), and I wasn't too crazy about the look (aside from the dish being really nice!!).
Now I think I want to go euro for the rims, and get something that looks like a multipiece rim similar to the hamann pg-1's.
I just gotta start saving up some more because they cost wayyyy more than the ADRs, but I think i'd be happier in the end.

(you'll get a ride, I always keep my promises :))

thinair
02-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
oops! yeah that's a typo, they're 9.5" in the back.

9.5"s? How much fender work are you doing, or you're not dropping your car much?

9" on the front will more then likely require some decent spacers. I know because I've been researching a set of 17x9's all around for my car for the last little while.

JDub
02-18-2004, 08:40 PM
I bought the rims from wheelmax. They have pretty decent prices I think.

http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/ADR/ADR.htm

Thanks, I'm trying to convince my dad to get those rims in hyper black with a polished lip for his car.

djcontra
02-19-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by thinair
9.5"s? How much fender work are you doing, or you're not dropping your car much?

9" on the front will more then likely require some decent spacers. I know because I've been researching a set of 17x9's all around for my car for the last little while.

I'm pulling the rear fenders for sure. but the fronts should fit fine since they're only 8.5".

///MsAniTy
02-19-2004, 01:55 AM
hey contra to let u kno i seen some really nice euro rims like acs rims look alikes but with a nice ****ni dish like rh rims at the auto show at the wheels direct booth

djcontra
02-19-2004, 04:39 AM
oh yeah?
I'll have to go check em out (even if they're replicas)

///MsAniTy
02-19-2004, 03:11 PM
trust me man when i seen em i was going crazy cuz of the nice polished lipwhich is beautiful. its the same rims as on this car but their not blacked otu in the center.

djcontra
02-21-2004, 08:05 PM
I like those alot, especially blacked out like that. I'm undecided as to whether I will black my rims out in the center or paint them gunmetal, but either way, dark center and polished lip for my car, that's for sure! *th-up*

I just bought this last week, and it came in the mail today. I can't wait to install it, but i need a flange welded onto my intake piping. You should see how big this bov is too...7 inches!

http://www.progear2000.com/images/bov3c.jpg

I'm hoping it'll sound nice, but I got it mostly for saftey reasons. Vortech advised me when I ordered my pulley that I should get a dump valve installed asap because I'll be pushing more than 11psi. This should let off the excess above 10psi, help releave my supercharger from excess stress, and make a cool sound when at WOT or shifting :)

thinair
02-21-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm pulling the rear fenders for sure. but the fronts should fit fine since they're only 8.5".

Depends on the drop I guess. I have 8" wheels wtih 235/40's on them and I get fender lip rubbing under really hard cornering with a passenger. (During auto-x's only)

djcontra
02-27-2004, 11:50 PM
Oh, just to add one more pic, check out the size of the damn BOV. I am still deciding where in my setup it's going to go! The darn thing is almost as big as a beer bottle :eek:

(sorry for the bad pic, my camera just isn't focusing anymore *sad* )

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 05:57 AM
Which ADR M-Sport Wheels did you get?

Hyper Silver?
OR
HMC Chrome?

:confused:

djcontra
02-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Silver, not the chrome ones.
I am most likely going to sell them however, because I've fallen in love with these rims, and finally decided to just get them even though they're a little pricey:

17x8.5 (front) and 17x10 (rear) Keskin KT1 (or oz futuras...same rim)

http://www.jket.de/tuning/Aluraeder/Alulogo/Aluseiten/Keskin/kt1%20Kopie.jpg http://www.keskin-tuning.de/felgen/kt1/kt13.gif

I just dont feel the m-sport's suit the rieger body kit at all, and make the car look dumb. So, I figured I'd copy my car's role model, and get the same rims :)

http://www.dalhems.com/stylingsidor/stylingbilder/rieger/rigbmwe36bakvingeinf1.jpg http://www.dalhems.com/stylingsidor/stylingbilder/rieger/rigbmwe36frontmeddtmnara.jpg

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Silver, not the chrome ones.
I am most likely going to sell them however, because I've fallen in love with these rims, and finally decided to just get them even though they're a little pricey:

17x8.5 (front) and 17x10 (rear) Keskin KT1 (or oz futuras...same rim)

I just dont feel the m-sport's suit the rieger body kit at all, and make the car look dumb. So, I figured I'd copy my car's role model, and get the same rims :)

Cool! Those rims look like the old school Hamann's. Will your car be ready with all your upgrades, bodykit and rims for this spring/summer?

djcontra
02-29-2004, 05:17 AM
It'll be all together, but I'm not sure it'll get a paintjob by summer. That's ok, it wouldn't be the first time I've sported an unpainted project car before. Expect another update monday night when I get my car back from the shop. It'll have it's complete exhaust work done (including headers and high flow cat), fan delete finally finished, and a few other nicknacks. After that, 2 weeks until my new pulley goes on, and then she goes in for software (hello 300+hp!)

Mitch555
02-29-2004, 07:59 AM
It'll be all together, but I'm not sure it'll get a paintjob by summer. That's ok, it wouldn't be the first time I've sported an unpainted project car before. Expect another update monday night when I get my car back from the shop. It'll have it's complete exhaust work done (including headers and high flow cat), fan delete finally finished, and a few other nicknacks. After that, 2 weeks until my new pulley goes on, and then she goes in for software (hello 300+hp!)

Nice! How do you do Fan Delete mode exactly? I have been wondering this for quite a while now.

thinair
02-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Mitch555
Nice! How do you do Fan Delete mode exactly? I have been wondering this for quite a while now.

Go to www.understeer.com, there is a DIY write up there, including BMW part numbers.

Mitch555
02-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by thinair
Go to www.understeer.com, there is a DIY write up there, including BMW part numbers.

Sweet! Thanks again!!!! *th-up*

djcontra
03-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Welp, my car came back from the shop, but there is good and bad news. The good news is, I finally finished my fan delete mod, so I dont need to run the fan all the time now. As well, the temperature gauge is snug in the middle instead of always in the cold side (which is where it's been since summer time ...ooh all that gas wasted and no heat in the winter :(

On the upside, my car's water pump got replaced with a new one w/ metal impeller. My mechanic and I knew it was going to go soon because we both heard the tell tale noises through a stethoscope-like tool I have. I'm glad I changed it now too since my car had the plastic impeller before....can we say ticking timebomb???

Now that my cooling system is all top notch, the next thing my mechanic tackled was my custom exhaust. He managed to fit my new ebay headers, after 5 hours of work mind you (a lot of that was spent trying to get all the bolts in there, and we needed to buy different ones as well...shorter ones). Unfortunately he never did get the free flowing catalytic or my straight pipes installed because his welding equipment broke while he was fixing another car, so it'll have to wait a bit unless I take it to another shop (which is exactly what I'm going to do this weekend :D)

Ontop of all that however, he changed my valve cover gasket, (which includes spark plug gaskets as well), and when I looked down each cylinder I was so surprised at how clean they looked (instead of flooded with oil heh). He also managed to tighten my supercharger belt a lot which has now reduced the bogging feeling I got when I first step on the gas.

How does she run?

F*ckin' awsome! The headers make a huge improvement for my car, but I owe some of the positive feeling to the new thermostat as well (since I'm running leaner now). In comparison, the stock headers look shitty in design, and are WAY heavier as well. I figure I am saving a good 50 lbs (rough guesstimate mind you). When I took 'er out on the road, the first thing I did was stop and rev the engine a few times. WOW! The rpms fall soooo much quicker now, I couldn't believe how much restriction there was before. Next I proceeded to bolt it down the backroads, and at WOT the headers make an awsome sound and I could feel the extra horsepower in my butt dyno. At 3500 rpm when I reach my sweet spot (where the boost really starts to kick in), I get thrown back into my seat, and then the car rockets forward with a truely ear pleasing sound. The whining from the supercharger just rings in all directions, and I saw all the guys from the shop come out to see what car it was ;)
I think the coolest part was seeing the front end of my car lift up EVERY time I step on the gas at 2500rpm and up. Even on the highway at 160, I step on the gas, and VROOM she lifts up in the air and takes off heheh...yeah I guess new shocks would help too :rolleyes:
Right now I'm cleaning my air filter however because I've been getting some crazy hesitation off the line, and my filter looks awfuly black, so she's soaking in the sink right now.

Now for the downside...when my mechanic took my car into active green and ross for an alignment, the stupid grease monkeys there friggin dented my rear fender on the lift...those f*ckers! I'd be more pissed off except for the fact that my car is getting a makover this summer with the body kit and paint anyway, but still, until then, I have to drive around with a dented fender! :(
Ontop of that, the front bumper was totally TORN off, and they didn't even bother to put it back on properly because when I took my car back, the friggin thing fell off within the first few seconds of driving it! Thankfully my bumper was easily put back on and I had extra push clips as well. The bumper is trashed anyway, it's splitting in two down the middle because I've stuffed a temp intercooler behind it that doesn't fit very well, so again, I didn't care so much :D

Oh yeah, one more mod I did was, I removed my hood liner. Wow, the engine bay looks so much cooler now, and I bet I'll be benefiting from some extra cool air under there too. If ANY of you ever attempt to remove the hood liner, dont do it in the evening! Trust me, do it when there is light out! I never forsaw that I would have to align the locking pins on the hood, and it took me a good 1 hour to align them properly so I could close AND open my hood. (at one point the hood closed, and almost DIDN'T open! OMG! It was friggin scary, but a good pull and she popped up....never again!) One tip however...do one side at a time...eventually I figured that out *th-up*

Expect more to be posted soon!!! Especially some GTECH PRO dyno runs after my filter dries!

Justin e36
03-03-2004, 01:17 AM
1 word: omfg.

djcontra
03-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Upsetting update, but I looked under my car yesterday, and noticed my rear driver's side fender is rusting BADLY...well, maybe not badly, but it's starting to bubble, and has a lot of brown showing on the inside lip (the lip I need to roll to fit my new wheels :( )

So, I am adding another project to my list as of today. My car is going to get it's rear fenders flared. I've already talked to a couple shops, and it's not too big of a deal to have them cut away my fender and weld a nicer flared one in it's place. I went today to check out some of their work on a few honduhs they had there, and I have to say, I was quite impressed, especially with the price! I'm not touching the front fenders at all because I'm happy with how they look, but I'm going to have the rears match the front so I can stuff 10" wheels back there.

I suggest to anyone with an e36, so go outside right now and have a look inside your wheel wells to see if there is any rust. I would have never seen it until it's too late because from the outside it looks perfectly fine! :(

anyhoo....all this is going to happen next month, because I can't just let my car sit around and rust, I need to take action asap!
Paint wont come for another couple of months though, so I'll be driving a bondo-mobile for a while :D (actually, I refuse to use bondo on my car, but I'll still call it that)

Phazer
03-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Cannot wait until the car is finished, it sound AWESOME!

Justin e36
03-07-2004, 08:39 PM
... actually I just noticed last week that my rear fender is bubbling now! ... and my car been rust-free up until now... upset me quite a bit too. I wanted to roll my fenders this spring...

WASABI
03-09-2004, 03:08 AM
My car is going to get it's rear fenders flared. I'm not touching the front fenders at all because I'm happy with how they look, but I'm going to have the rears match the front so I can stuff 10" wheels back there.

So just flares for the rear, like this guy ? :eek: *th-up*

WASABI
03-09-2004, 03:09 AM
Another pic. Not bad, if you really want to tuck some wise a$$ wheels in the rear.

djcontra
03-09-2004, 06:35 AM
It would be similar, but more like Vanessa's biturbo m3. She had her rear fenders flared without molding them into the sideskirts or bumpers. I'll try and find a pic if I can...

Adriano
03-12-2004, 02:51 AM
DJ, just so you know, you gave me a chub when I read your post when you first took out your car.
GOOD JOB.
I can tell you bought the BOV from eBay, how much?
How does it sound?
I am in the middle of a forced induction project on my car and am looking for a BOV.

djcontra
06-21-2004, 06:42 PM
wow, has it really been 3 months since I've done anything on the car? You better believe it...I've been too busy with work, paying off debts so that I can get a mortgage and move out, as well as breaking off a 4 year relationship with my girl. Well, all that put behind me now, I've begun to do a little more work this month so far. I'm trying to get the car's engine ready for software so I can start to work on the exterior of the car. I've still got many things yet to do, but here's whats been accomplished this month so far:

1. I've finally completed my fan delete mod (today actually). Everything is complete now, sensors and all, so I wont have to drive with my electric fan on all the time (boy was that thing ever f*cking loud and annoying. It made my car sound like a vaccum cleaner or something :D)
2. New valve cover gasket installed. Yay! No more leaking oil onto my spark plugs fouling them up. Now there's a story about this ''install'' which I'll touch on later...
3. Replaced my faulty ignition coils (had 3 out of 6 bad totally ruining my acceleration)
4. Replaced spark plugs with el-cheapo stock oem copper ones from crappy tire. Despite my choice of words, these plugs are 1,000,000 times better than the iridium or bosch platinum ones I was using before. I highly suggest everyone stick to stock plugs now.
5. Installed a boost gauge (I learned I'm only running 7psi of boost currently...this will change VERY shortly)
6. Re-Engineered my intake boot to be a closed system. I've replaced it with a silicone high pressure elbow (made for turbo applications), and rerouted my idle control valve vaccume hose to a nozzle just after my air flow meter. The car burped a bit when first started, but the computer re-compensated and she runs great now...no more surging idle, or exploding intake boots now :D (there's another breather hose in the stock setup which I basically just plugged up because I dont use it anymore....no emissions controls on my car anymore lol!)
7. Installed the biggest clutch stop anyone has ever seen. I welded this puppy myself, and she works like a charm! I can probably make extras for anyone who wants one, but for a small fee of course.
8. I taught myself to weld! I bought an arc-welder which uses a wire feed like a tig/mig welder does, and have been practicing welding pipes together so that I can begin tackling my intercooler piping and exhaust piping myself. I should be beginning those two tasks in the next week or so!

I think that's it for now....it doesn't seem like much but trust me, it was all a lot of hard work, and took a lot of time out of what little I have lately. Now on to the mishap when installing my valve cover gasket...

Well, my valve cover gasket was changed some time ago, but ever since, my car has been spraying oil all over the underside of my hood after a session of hard driving. At first, i thought maybe some of the valve cover nuts were loose, so I tightened them all, but it was still doing it...oil everywhere! (what a mess too). So I decided to once again, tighten them, but I also tightened everything else I could see shiny oil on. After that was all done, the car still spat oil all over the place...sh*t...I thought. This time, I was a bit smarter, and wiped off all the oil from the bolts, and tried my best to see where it was coming out of (it doesn't happen while at idle. so I had to drive up the street at WOT, turn around, and then come back and check). So I did, came back, and saw one bolt with shiny oil on it. ...So...Naturally I tightened it...again...and *SNAP* the darn thing f*ckin' broke off! After about 30 mins of cursing and swearing, as well as shedding a few tears because I thought I had snapped off something in the head, I proceed to just accept what I've done, and I started to remove my valve cover. Once removed, I realized bmw, once again, thought of it all. They predicted people like me would snap off the threads on this bolt, so they didn't cast it into the head of the engine. Instead, it's a piece with threads on both ends, and it simply unscrewed from the head. *WHEW!* After a sigh of relief, and about 30 mins marvelling at the site of my camshaft and vanos, I hopped in my father's hummer and drove to Town and Country bmw today to get a replacement......well, they didn't have one :(
So, now I'm stuck without a car until wednesday when they'll have the parts I need, valve cover soaking in degunker, while plastic covering protects my engine from water, dirt, mice, small children, etc.
Needless to say, dont ever over torque something that doesn't need to be....Now I definately know better. On the upside, I realize now (i think) why the oil was spraying everywhere. Somehow, one of the valve cover bolts had 2 washers on it while the one corner (which snapped off) didn't have any! So I think it was the missing washer all along (grr!).

Anyhew, that's it for now. Expect some upates within the next couple of weeks in regards to my intercooler install. I just gotta buy some 2.5" piping and I can begin welding!

phaust
06-22-2004, 12:51 PM
djcontra: damn i just saw your pics of the paint project!! *sad* *sad* similar project as mine!

never intented to copie yours but anyway, the color are not the same only the design..

phaust
djcontra: damn i just saw your pics of the paint project!! *sad* *sad* similar project as mine!

never intented to copie yours but anyway, the color are not the same only the design..

phaust

djcontra
07-05-2004, 06:43 AM
That is very similar! Either way, I've decided to go with a black roof/hood/trunk (or cf), and graphite lower half. The colours will (hopefully) be so similar that you'll only see the seperation in the light. At least that's the plan :)

Well my welding skills are much improved now, and I'm more than ready to tackle my piping, so this coming weekend I'm tearing down the bumpers, and will begin to install not only the large intercooler, but also the body kit starting with the back bumper, wing, and sideskirts.
In the meantime I have to figure out a few troublesome problems with the way my supercharger's spout is situated, in regards to where my piping is going to lead down to the intercooler. (doesn't sound like much, but it set me back this weekend :()

My car now has an EMS (engine management system), instead of buying a custom chip. I purchased the SMT-6 on friday, and started to wire it up this weekend (what a b*tch too). When this thing is fully installed, I'll be able to connect a laptop to my E36 and tune it to my heart's desire. This unit is a piggy back system which intercepts all of the ECU's commands and inputs my own set of instructions. I also have the ability to control (almost) every sensor on the car including some other interesting things like the vanos (I can turn it on whenever, or tell the car to always leave it off too). The parts I'm really keen on are tricking my MAF and O2 sensors into to mixing the correct air/fuel ratios. These two sensors are nothing but headaches for anyone with forced induction on their E36. I'll also be able to tune my car to use the larger injectors I purchased from GreekThang earlier on this year (finally!).
I highly suggest anyone who's looking for EMS for their car to check out the SMT-6. It's only $540, which is a little more than what a performance chip costs, but similar or less than a custom one would cost, not to mention you can tweak it whenever you add another mod to your car!

More to come later this week....

app
07-05-2004, 08:08 PM
The parts I'm really keen on are tricking my MAF and O2 sensors into to mixing the correct air/fuel ratios.

Looking to vent to the atmosphere? :)

calgaryE30M50
07-05-2004, 10:45 PM
I just got my RMS stage 1 supercharger kit.

It came with a 5.5 inch crank pully and a 3.33 inch supercharger pully. this is suposed to make 8.5 lbs of boost.

if I go to the 3.25 supercharger pully I will make 9.8 lbs of boost according to RMS.

I have also always been told that a BOV is a NO NO NO on a MAF supercharger because you are venting "metered" air .

I am asuming that the MAF is before the supercharger.

If you use a MAP sensor insted with the the SMRT 6 then you will be fine. A guy here has a m3 with a blower making 11 pounds of boost using a BOV and a TEC 3
he maks well over 400 hp to the wheels.

my kit came with a BOSH Sport BPV

I have spent allot of time on the Bimmerforums forced induction forum and that I a great place to go for this kind of info. They talk allot about supercharge pully size and such.

I also asked empowered If myabe we can start a forced induction forum here as allot of us are getting into it and I think It would be great.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you want to talk more about my kit and what is in it. We can go much more in depth.

mradder@telusplanet.net

Michael

djcontra
07-09-2004, 09:25 PM
brief update. I found a leak in my intake manifold...UNDER the manifold I should add. It ended up causing water to pool up inside too :(
(none in the engine THANKFULLY cause I noticed it right away when I was moving some piping around)
For those with M50's will know what I'm talking about when I say it was caused by that stupid clip that connects a hose from the idle control valve to the intake manifold...well it broke! (everything plastic ends up breaking lately for me *sigh*).
Anyway, I've removed my intake manifold...and let me say...what a pain in the royal ARSE that was! Kudos to anyone who does the OBDI manifold swap on their OBD2 cars, it's really a lot of hard work and gashed knuckles! :D

I'm going to redesign this stupid ICV setup...i'm gonna give it longer hoses and relocate it to where I can actually get at it for next time! :mad:

djcontra
07-13-2004, 10:09 AM
SLOWLY getting there (shocking aint it?? *shiner*). Trust me though, everything is fine. I'm STILL waiting for that ICV part to come in at the dealer's so I can put back my intake manifold. In the meantime I bought some nice spiffy 2.5" U-Bend pipes yesterday to replace the un-sightly piping coming out of the supercharger, and to complete the turns for my intercooler. The pipes that are there now were just templates for the shop to bend me the actual pipes.
It should look VERY nice when it's all done despite how everything looks in the pic :D

oh, and I got the SMT6 installed too! *par-t*

djcontra
08-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Today I can safely say, my car is now tuned, and running great! I've never had the car run so smoothly since the day I bought it as it does now with the SMT6 running the air/fuel mixture; it's simply amazing!
Now that I can cross that project off my list, I plan to tackle installing the rest of my intercooler system, as well as my body kit this weekend!
I finally got all of my mandrel bent pieces from the shop yesterday (all u-bends which I'll have to cut up and weld), so I'm all set to go re-fabricate my current test piping to nice smooth mandrel bent ones. The new intercooler is so huge I might have to cut part of the body away for it to fit, or relocate my electric fan to the other side of the radiator, but it'll be well worth it.
If all goes well, I'll also have my HIDs in by monday as well (since they'll fit now).

pics to follow

app
08-06-2004, 01:56 PM
with the smt6, are you blowing off like a bov?

djcontra
08-06-2004, 05:50 PM
app: I'll probably have to do some remapping when I install the BOV tomorrow because....

..I am finished for the day; I'm too tired to continue. I re-fabricated all of my piping today (not easy!!), only to find I need to buy some more hardware to mount the intercooler, so for now, I've done an intercooler-delete mod :D

Despite the old cooler being removed from the setup, the car runs SOOOO much better with the mandrel bent piping and my new design that I've got a perma-grin from ear-to-ear :).
I am also so impressed with the new GTech firgures I'm laying down, that I may not even put an intercooler on until I increase boost to 10psi. I'm actually gaining in horsepower right now even while heat soaked due to less air restriction from the cooler (and possibly leaks with the old one) so I can't decide what I want to do right now. (simpler IS less headache, and I need less of a headache right now :))
On top of re-fabb'ing all of my piping, I also managed to mount the front rieger bumper with only minor issues (the driver side needs to be re-aligned as it's sagging just a tad, but it's no big deal.)
Tomorrow I'll take all the pipes apart once more for paint, and coat the bumper with some primer if I can get it aligned properly.
Then it's on to the side skirts and rear bumper! w00p! *th-up*

PICS PICS PICS! *th-up*

djcontra
08-06-2004, 05:53 PM
From behind (ooooh look at all the pretty mandrel bends :))

(not bad for a home-made custom job eh?)

djcontra
08-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Front view of the bumper...

djcontra
08-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Front from an angle....(i've been waiting for this for 2 years almost!)

djcontra
08-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Original rieger baby! (taken from the rear bumper as I can't see the sticker on the front anymore :D)

ZiMMie
08-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Finnaly.. when is the elipsiode's?H.I.D. goin on?
and r u still goin to but H.I.D in ur reverse light ?:D

djcontra
08-06-2004, 06:10 PM
This is a pic of the two J-bends which will eventually be rotated differently to accept the intercooler piping (i'm thinking ahead here *th-up*)

djcontra
08-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Zimmie, the ellipsoids still dont fit with my new design (grr! :mad: ) Not to worry though. If I can find a place that sell that accordian style tubing I'm using on the air-inlet, I'll migrate everything over to the passenger side of the engine, and bend my air outlet pipes more sharply inwards to fit the new headlamps.
It sounds complicated (maybe?), but it's really not a big deal...maybe 1 hour's work.
I guess I gotta visit a vaccum shop or something ?? :D

ZiMMie
08-06-2004, 06:15 PM
looks good Adam *th-up* cant wait till its fully done :)

app
08-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Nice pictures, looks like you've learned a lot with welding and programming that SMT. :)

djcontra
08-09-2004, 05:06 PM
More updates for today *th-up*

I managed to get the bumper about 90% on. It just needs to be rivetted into the bumper brace to secure it, but it decided to rain before I could finish that and install my spoiler.
To keep none of you waiting, I rested my spoiler on the trunk to let you all *mw* over it :D

Next to be installed...the rieger side skirts and m3 mirrors.
I'm so glad there haven't been any real fitment problems at all. I'm also thankful that I got an original kit because all the brackets and everything are installed so the pieces fit like stock and re-use alot of the same hardware *whew*

p.s. I dont care if you think the spoiler is rice. Tell that to the BMW EVO racers who rieger took the design from *th-up*

Side shot....

http://users.primushost.com/~akalicak/adam/sideprofile.jpg

Front-Angled shot...
(what's that shiny pipe for behind the bumper? :confused: :D)

http://users.primushost.com/~akalicak/adam/frontprofile.jpg

DbIiRrTdY
08-09-2004, 05:17 PM
looks great man ... lots work - but it looks like it is all paying off!

app
08-09-2004, 06:27 PM
*th-up*

djcontra
09-06-2004, 09:20 PM
New update!

Side skirts and wing are still to be installed (I've been working a shi**y shift lately at work so I haven't had the time), but I managed to get some other goodies installed.

Believe it or not, I re-designed the supercharger piping AGAIN. Since I wont be installing my intercooler any time soon, I opted to simplify my piping setup so that there wil be less spots for potential air leaks. I trimmed down the setup from a 6 pipe setup to a 2 pipe setup! :eek:
I'm not sure why I never thought of the design I just made before, but believe me when I say, the new design actually came to me in a dream last night. (yes I dreamt about installing a blower on my e36, so what!! :D)
Needless to say, the new setup completely clears up the headlight area for me, and gave me enough room to install my euro ellipsoids, AND hids! FINALLY, after 3 years, my hids get installed on the car (I can' t believe they've been sitting in my room all ready to plug and play for so long!).
Regardless, I'm VERY VERY happy and overly anxious for it to get really dark out now ;)
I have to learn how to aim these suckers now 'cause one is slightly too low, but it's better than too high I guess for now.

How does the car run with the new piping system? FANTASTIC! The car is putting down numbers (according to my gtech pro), signifigantly higher than an e36 m3, but not quite hitting the 300hp mark. This is due to the fact that I'm using too large of a pulley on the blower, but I'm kind of afraid to put the 9psi one on there until I get my tranny issues sorted out. My off the line power is also signifigantly higher, and my car no longer bogs down from the start because I tightened the gap on my spark plugs to 0.030 instead of 0.035 (stock) which helped me create a better spark from my (fairly) weak coils. (the coils are reading 0.9 each which isn't bad but isn't good either...i'm going to invest in plasma coils eventually).
Since I've got the majority of my headaches out of the way now, I've got to start saving up for a new clutch (perhaps an e36m3 one w/ pressure plate for now to save a few bucks), and for a 3.43 or 3.73 limited slip differential. I'm really keen on the differential since 1 wheel burnouts dont impress anyone, especially myself, and I want more power at the lower end of the rpm spectrum since I frankly dont care too much about going faster than 180km/h. The quicker I can get my rpms into the sweet spot for my blower, the happier I'll be that's for sure! *th-up*

Tomorrow's project (weather depending), is to install an ebay short shifter. Some of you may have seen a purple/pink short shifter being sold by BUILT4RACE on ebay recently. Well, I bought one and have to say it's quite a nice piece for the $30 or so I paid for it (i forget how much now honestly, but after shipping, duties, and taxes it never went above $50 CDN).
I'll post a full review afterwards because quite a few people have pm'd me regarding the shifter and how it is since it's so inexpensive.

If things go really well, maybe I'll have my side skirts on by the weekend! The wing will go on last since I'm actually not quite sure how to install the mounting hardware for it so I have to translate the instructions into english from german to help me out.
The mounting kit comes with 4 rubber gromets with threaded insides, and 3 plastic screws. I guess I'm supposed to drill holes in the spoiler and the trunk of the car, pressure fit the gromets into the spoiler, and then screw it down to the trunk lid....but....by doing that, you can still pull the spoiler off the gromets so I'm a bit confused!! If all else fails, I'll do what I did on my last e36 when I re-mounted it's spoiler. I'll pickup some snowboard binding threads, mount then into the spoiler, and use the screws that come with the snowboard threads to bolt the spoiler to the trunk lid. At least I know for sure that setup will work, and it's STRONG. I dont want my $1000 spoiler flying off the car on the highway or being stolen :(

(yes, the spoiler cost $1000 shipped + paint....what do you expect for a REAL rieger piece?? ;))

Quack
09-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Adam get this beast running, I haven't seen you all year, hope to see you at Bimmercuize

Understated
09-06-2004, 10:00 PM
whoa that car is gonna look like a beast when it's done! is it gonna be a full widebody? or just regular reiger skirt package and whatnot?

djcontra
09-06-2004, 10:55 PM
I bought the original infinity I kit with rieger EVO wing instead of the infinity II kit (widebody), but my rear fenders have some rust forming when I feel around behind them, so I might just have them cut out and flared by a body shop when I'm ready for paint.

quakcers, I'll try and come out to a meet sometime soon but I'll be at bimmercruize for sure (at least for the show). My front suspension is so shot right now that my front end bottoms out quite often, so I'm actually too afraid to go to the meets because people tend to drive a little crazy. I dont think I'd be able to keep up with you guys and still save my bumper at the same time :)
I'll hopefully have my coilovers on by october though, it's just i've run into an embarrassing snag.....my driver's side front wheel wont come off the car! It's fused somehow to the wheel hub, and I just can't get it off, even with a mallet and crowbar! I'm going to use the winch on my father's hummer the next time he sticks around long enough to see if he can pull the darn thing off. I dunno why it's fused, but it must be some crazy corrosion or something :(

ZiMMie
09-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Hey Adam how did u go about doin all those tube bending urself. i will not mind learning :)

djcontra
09-06-2004, 11:19 PM
No need to bend tubes here, I bought pre bent mandrel u-bends from Thruway mufflers at $25 a piece. It's expensive (I think), but hella worth it. I noticed an immediate increase in power when I switched to mandrel bent piping because of the added air flow. You basically cut of the macaroni-like pipes into segments, and piece it together like a puzzle until the other end of the pipe reaches your throttle body *th-up*
After that you can either weld them together as one or two pieces, or simply couple them with silicone couplings and t-bolt clamps.
It'll take about a day to do one car as you'll be trying many different configurations until you decide which one works best.

djcontra
09-12-2004, 10:40 AM
a little birdie told me that the car might have it's complete body kit on by today....we'll see what happens!

Justin e36
09-12-2004, 10:54 AM
post pics.. :) ... thruway muffler huh?... I'm looking to make my intake a cold-air for next summer... maybe that's where I'll get my piping from... hmm...

djcontra
09-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Ok, the little birdie was full of sh*t, 'cause it's not done yet :(
Basically the car is spoilerless, but I managed to get the sideskirts on. Sideskirts are great fun to install...just goop on the construction adhesive, and use metal self-tapping screws on the ends of the skirts to bolt onto the car. Take some shi**y drywall screws and screw the middle of the skirts to the body to keep it flush while the glue dries...and you're done! *th-up*

As for the spoiler, I need to buy a special hole-saw to do the job. The spoiler doesn't touch the trunk lid very much at all, so I have really no margin for error installing the mounting kit. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do it this week during the day, as I'm working nights this shift. If all else fails it'll be on for sure next weekend. Today I just have to sit and wait while the glue dries on the skirts before I can take the car anywhere.

Justin, you'll love thruway, at least I know I love the one here in scarborough on eglington. The guy who runs the place is really friendly and helpful to deal with, which is more than I can say for most exhaust shops. The guy there didn't even charge me tax, and it was my first visit! 6 other exhaust shops I visited in the same day (at the time), turned me away almost immediately when I asked about mandrel bending, they were such a$$holes about it too! :mad:

djcontra
10-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Just letting everyone know that the car is continuing to progress nicely, but that I wont be posting any more updates (or posts really) for the next few months. Something came up recently (nothing bad), so I wont be able to browse maxbimmer.com for a long while, nor will I be attending bimmercruize like I had planned. See you all next spring perhaps! *wave*

p.s. in the meantime you might be able to catch a glimpse of the car driving around in scarborough though *th-up*

djcontra
01-16-2005, 03:27 PM
quick update for this weekend. Had some of the issue on my car diagnosed. As suspected my suspension is trashed, so now I finally have an excuse to install coilovers and get urethane shock mounts. Dave from Motronix took another crack at designing a piping system for my supercharger; one that would clear the headlight space so I can install my ellipsoids (finally). After much effort on my own over the summer to come up with a working design, Dave managed to piece together an amazing setup that somewhat blew me away when I saw it. It's a lot more complicated than I would have done it, but after examining it for quite some time this morning, I dont think there is any other way to do it than he did and still clear the hood. Needless to say I'm quite impressed, and still excited since he's not finished with it yet. Either next weekend or the one following, it'll go back into his hands to get the blow off valve installed (which he didn't have the time and some parts to do yesterday), new idler and supercharger pulleys, as well as a motronix short shifter. Dave did install a B&M short shifter which I supplied but we later found out that it's of poor design and graces the drive shaft in 2nd and 4th, so it's simply gotta go....it makes some annoying rattles. In the meantime, i'm in talks with a few shops about getting a posi-traction differential installed custom on my car. Having only 1 wheel laying down tracks on the road just simply isn't cutting it for me, not to mention a ratio which doesn't suit my driving style.

What is it like now? Can we say torque?? *th-up*
I'm not sure what could have been wrong before, but the car is definately running a lot stronger now, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. Entering the highway on my way home was simply breathtaking, and the car felt like it could go on accellerating forever, with that wonderful pull in my lower back the entire time. It will only get better and better over the course of the next month or so, especially with the increase in boost i'm planning to push in the next couple weeks. I'm not sure when I'll be satisfied with the power under the hood, but i'm almost there. It's honestly getting to the point where it can get scary sometimes when stomping on the gas pedal :D

Pics will be posted shortly (today if the camera is here at home).

Miguel
01-16-2005, 05:00 PM
lemme know when you are going back to see Dave, I'd love to come by and check out the setup.

djcontra
01-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Miguel, I'm going to try and get in in there this weekend, but it all depends on when the pulleys arrive in the mail. I just ordered them about an hour ago. I wish i could post some pics, but the camera isn't with me at the moment.

djcontra
01-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Ok i borrowed a camera from a neighbor since this thread is utterly useless without pics :D

http://shell.shore.net/~akalicak/motronix-version2.jpg

All of the welds will of course be ground down by either Dave or I, and then the pipes will be painted or powdercoated.

( p.s. be careful if you see me on the street :P )

djcontra
01-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Another quick update...just wanted to add another mod to the thread.
I will be installing these as soon as the weather becomes warm again. Cost quite a bit, but they're the nicest vertical door hinges I've ever seen; they're very sturdy and built well. With the 300lb shocks they have on them, I have no fears of a heavy door falling on my legs :D

http://users.shore.net/~akalicak/hinge.JPG

Last of the big expenses, wheels...*sigh* maybe in a couple months...

app
01-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Vertical door hinges = lambo style doors?

mpower1226
01-20-2005, 01:56 AM
quick update for this weekend. Had some of the issue on my car diagnosed. As suspected my suspension is trashed, so now I finally have an excuse to install coilovers and get urethane shock mounts. Dave from Motronix took another crack at designing a piping system for my supercharger; one that would clear the headlight space so I can install my ellipsoids (finally). After much effort on my own over the summer to come up with a working design, Dave managed to piece together an amazing setup that somewhat blew me away when I saw it. It's a lot more complicated than I would have done it, but after examining it for quite some time this morning, I dont think there is any other way to do it than he did and still clear the hood. Needless to say I'm quite impressed, and still excited since he's not finished with it yet. Either next weekend or the one following, it'll go back into his hands to get the blow off valve installed (which he didn't have the time and some parts to do yesterday), new idler and supercharger pulleys, as well as a motronix short shifter. Dave did install a B&M short shifter which I supplied but we later found out that it's of poor design and graces the drive shaft in 2nd and 4th, so it's simply gotta go....it makes some annoying rattles. In the meantime, i'm in talks with a few shops about getting a posi-traction differential installed custom on my car. Having only 1 wheel laying down tracks on the road just simply isn't cutting it for me, not to mention a ratio which doesn't suit my driving style.

What is it like now? Can we say torque?? *th-up*
I'm not sure what could have been wrong before, but the car is definately running a lot stronger now, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. Entering the highway on my way home was simply breathtaking, and the car felt like it could go on accellerating forever, with that wonderful pull in my lower back the entire time. It will only get better and better over the course of the next month or so, especially with the increase in boost i'm planning to push in the next couple weeks. I'm not sure when I'll be satisfied with the power under the hood, but i'm almost there. It's honestly getting to the point where it can get scary sometimes when stomping on the gas pedal :D

Pics will be posted shortly (today if the camera is here at home).

What happend to the short shifter you bought from ebay for 30 bucks?

djcontra
01-20-2005, 06:22 AM
App: Exactly! my car will look something like so:

http://users.shore.net/~akalicak/e36_lambo_05.jpg

(not the same kit, but just a pic of what it'll look similar to)

Tekniq: the ebay shifter is installed, but it suxx0rz! Believe it or not, it's the first item I've bought off there for my car which I can absolutely say is crap :D
Whatever tho, it was worth the attempt anyway, but a new shifter is definately going in next weekend (since this weekend is my birthday and I'll be too busy).

Jon@Bimmersport
01-20-2005, 08:32 AM
i put lamborghini doors on that 3-2-5...m-m-m-maxbimmer! lol

app
01-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Definitely curious to see what it's like when it's finished!

djcontra
01-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Another quick update. I found today that I was driving with an expired license plate....again. The last time this happened I didn't notice for 10 months after it had expired lol! Thankfully I never got pulled over and spoken to about it by an officer both times. So, the car went into the garage today for it's emissions test, had some $$$ on hand in case it failed so that I could buy it's way into a pass (like last time :D), but after much amazement, the car ran EXTREMELY clean and passed! This is without half of the emissions controls on my car either! Glad to have that out of the way, I once more risked driving with my expired plate and got the sticker renewed.
Work threw me a curveball today however, so my plans to pickup some performance parts are now shot, so some of the plans I had for the car this weekend will need to wait until the following week :(
On the upside though, my other E36 is now SOLD!!! OMFG, it only took 2 years to sell that car! The halarious part was, my own sister bought it from me since she toasted her neon engine a couple of days ago. I still have yet to show her everything about the e36, but she knows darn well now not to redline the engine; she's actually quite nervous about owning my other car now so I'm sure she'll take care of it like i did in the past.
Nex update will be on sunday, after the car gets it's motronix short shifter installed, new tensioner pulley, and the BOV installed. Planned to also get the 3.12" supercharger pulley put on, but that's one of those things i originally was supposed to pickup today but now can't due to some web conference i have to attend....BOOOORING!!!

l8z for now! *th-up*

djcontra
01-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Wow, what a joke of a conference I had to attend. Anyway, I had some time left over so I took a trip down to DaSilva racing to pickup my new pulley. I'm very happy that I now know of a vortech supplier which is no more than 5 minutes away from me, AND, they have a dyno; double bonus! While I was there, the guys at DaSilva let me take a sneak peak of their new 2005 Mustang with a brand new never seen before Vortech supercharger kit installed. The kit boosted the car 150hp more than stock and was intercooled. Damn nice car, especially since it is still brand new. If you plan on attending Speedorama this weekend, the car will be making it's debut there I'm told.
So anyway, my car will now be going from a 3.70" pulley to a 3.33" one with a 6.66" oversized crank pulley....we'll see what happens after saturday!! *th-up*

just325iS
01-26-2005, 06:02 PM
give me more info on the door kit, I'm interested.

jotti
01-26-2005, 06:38 PM
give me more info on the door kit, I'm interested.

Same just out of curiousity. Where did you get it? Howmuch? How was the install(if you've done it yet)?

EMPOWERD
01-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Looking good Adam, congrats man. I know the hardships of big projects. Spill the beans on the verticle doors dude... i have a good friend with an S2000 that wants some installed. Are they direct bolt on? is cutting & welding required? How much we talking here?

Mystikal
01-26-2005, 07:15 PM
i put lamborghini doors on that 3-2-5...m-m-m-maxbimmer! lol

Hahahaha

jeremy
01-26-2005, 08:56 PM
you should take the hinges to a machine/fab shop and see how much it would cost for them to make them up...

M50E30
01-27-2005, 02:58 AM
Desired Customs in Niagara Falls is working with Liteglow & Decah for lambo door kits. The guy is Keith Losier.......he did a Saturn Ion for '04 SEMA and won an award.......I have pics of the car @ work and I was impressed.

jeremy
01-27-2005, 08:16 AM
^they would probably still want something stupid for them

M50E30
01-27-2005, 10:03 AM
^they would probably still want something stupid for them

Alot cheaper and better quality than Autoloc kits. And I remember he said the kits use four shocks so it only takes one finger to lift the door a full 90 degrees.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Hahahaha

lol at least someone else got it! :D

EMPOWERD
01-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Desired Customs in Niagara Falls is working with Liteglow & Decah for lambo door kits. The guy is Keith Losier.......he did a Saturn Ion for '04 SEMA and won an award.......I have pics of the car @ work and I was impressed.

I saw/spoke to Keith at SEMA, saw his rice-mobile there too. Mighty impressive how fast he got that thing together though. Can you PM me his contact info so I can call regarding Turkey's S2000? Thanks Dave.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-27-2005, 01:54 PM
I saw/spoke to Keith at SEMA, saw his rice-mobile there too. Mighty impressive how fast he got that thing together though. Can you PM me his contact info so I can call regarding Turkey's S2000? Thanks Dave.

turkeys got an S2K now? no way...saw him the other day drivin the lunchbox lol

so much for bein done with cars...haha

EMPOWERD
01-27-2005, 04:44 PM
yeah, (white) supercharged, lowered with black/polished-lip 18's. He lets me take it out on nice days. LOL. Can't wait till autocrossing season starts.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-27-2005, 05:23 PM
yeah, (white) supercharged, lowered with black/polished-lip 18's. He lets me take it out on nice days. LOL. Can't wait till autocrossing season starts.

what the ****...this summer is gonna be intense.

djcontra
01-27-2005, 06:17 PM
what the ****...this summer is gonna be intense.

Seriously, it sounds like this summer will be full of forced induction *th-up*

I'll post some details about the kit when I'm getting it installed, but for now all I'll say is that it cost $1400 CDN for the hinge kit. The kit is not bolt on, it's universal so it can be mated to almost any car, even a sedan or SUV. There is two ways of installing it, one would be to drill holes to bolt it to your existing mounting holes, but the preferred way is to weld it to the chassis and the door so that it's strong and secure (which is how I plan on doing it). You WILL need to roll the inside lip of the fenders a little so that the hinge arm can swing out and up. I've never looked at the car with the fenders off yet, but I plan on drilling some holes in the bottom to exit any water that may get in there in the rain. (the car may already have something like this, but I dunno).

If things go well, the car should be in the body shop this monday or tuesday to get them installed!

Justin e36
01-27-2005, 08:09 PM
contra - are you going to do a suicide trunk to match the doors?

djcontra
01-27-2005, 09:02 PM
naw, i like my trunk the way it is, plus with my spoiler i dont think i can do much with it anyway cause it's so big. Off topic, but I kinda want to put a glass moonroof in like Razkal has on his car; I miss having a moonroof.

Adriano
01-28-2005, 06:19 PM
DJ, I have been looking into Lambo doors now for 2 years and of all the kits that they sell, I just don't understand how you are going to manage to install them in such a small area of the E36? Do your fenders stick out 3"?

djcontra
01-28-2005, 09:09 PM
DJ, I have been looking into Lambo doors now for 2 years and of all the kits that they sell, I just don't understand how you are going to manage to install them in such a small area of the E36? Do your fenders stick out 3"?

You'll see how it works when they're installed. There are quite a few e36's i've seen on the net with hinge kits, not all of them custom either. There WILL be cutting involved, but it does fit. Either way tho, it's the body shop's problem not mine, however I would install them myself if it wasn't winter. I just want my car done within the next month, so I can move out thus the fact I'm taking my car to so many different shops right now to do the work for me.

I can't wait until tomorrow when Motronix is finished with my S/C kit. I just hope I dont blow my engine on the way home....need a new fuel pump soon I think. It's not priming properly when starting the car....anyone got any tips for that problem?

just325iS
01-30-2005, 10:33 PM
RMS has a fuel pump able to support up to 500hp. It is a direct replacement, that's what I got in my car.

djcontra
01-31-2005, 02:45 PM
OK it looks like I can get the pump only (without the assembly) for under $200 CDN, so I'm going to grab one this week cause the starting problem is annoying. My car wasn't able to be finished on the saturday so it had to sit all weekend, but will (hopefully) be done tonight. If anyone wants to meet up, lemme know. As for those who asked for more information about the vertical door kit I'm installing, here's a great video from Sema showcasing GtFactory's kit.

http://users.shore.net/~akalicak/GTFactory.wmv

Miguel
01-31-2005, 04:18 PM
I saw your car on saturday... where did you get that rieger bumper? how much??

RevShoT
01-31-2005, 04:30 PM
bout 1 leg and 3 fingers ide say.... :D

djcontra
01-31-2005, 04:42 PM
I saw your car on saturday... where did you get that rieger bumper? how much??

Where did you see my car? I'm a very rare sighting so I'm just curious.
The rieger bumpers and skirts are original and ordered direct from rieger.
I want to get the spoiler on tomorrow or this coming sunday if I get the car back in tonight. I also have to pickup a roof spoiler from Eurostyle soon...been putting that one off for far too long now.
The kit cost about $2400 shipped to my door. Worth it? Well I haven't had to take it to a body shop yet! The install was pretty much bolt on, and fit like stock. It's also very strong, and has already had a few impacts with things like pot holes and speed bumps without cracking....(gotta get that suspension in soon too so I stop bottoming out)
Oh btw, if you happened to see my car at Midas where Dave is working on it, you gotta spill the beans man, how does she sound with the BOV and new pulley?? *smoke*

djcontra
02-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Well I went to the shop last night, but the car wasn't ready yet, so I'm hoping tonight I'll get to take her home (as it's my last free day off to do so this week. I got to see Miguel's ride as well which was parked beside my car in the bay. What happened to it dude? Either way, looks like dave or midas is doing the repairs on it quite quickly. Thinking of a body kit now instead of an oem bumper tho?

Miguel
02-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Oh btw, if you happened to see my car at Midas where Dave is working on it, you gotta spill the beans man, how does she sound with the BOV and new pulley?? *smoke*
Yup, saw it at Midas.

I never heard it running but I saw it and all I gotta say is *mw*

Miguel
02-01-2005, 07:14 PM
I got to see Miguel's ride as well which was parked beside my car in the bay. What happened to it dude? Either way, looks like dave or midas is doing the repairs on it quite quickly. Thinking of a body kit now instead of an oem bumper tho?
well, since my car is deceptively low, it slid under the rear of a honda and took the impact on the front grill/front of the hood. So I got a new hood, grill, and rad support to be safe.

So I figured I'd upgrade to projectors, 97+ grill, and who knows what else when its in the shop getting painted *angel*

I also like the look of 97+ front sport bumper's with rieger lips so I may be in the market for one. I dont need a front bumper but I figure hell... why not.

djcontra
02-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Well I got my car back today. Can't really comment too much because the roads are too dangerous tonight to really push the car to it's limits (not to mention my shot suspension adding to the danger :D ).
Dave from motronix did an amazing job with the install of the new pulley, fixing my shifter, and installing a better belt tensioner on my car, so I'm quite pleased with that. Unfortunately the rattle I've been hearing is still present, and I'm starting to believe it's not related to the tensioner (although, that was probably adding to the noise). I'm going to go on a hunch again that I had a long time ago and blame the alternator, so I'm probably just going to check that all of the mounting bolts are tight, because I suspect it's shaking causing the noise I hear.
For any of you who are planning to attend the meet tomorrow at 9pm, you'll get to see my car first hand. I can't even begin to explain how awsome the car sounds now let alone performs. (5th gear on the highway feels a bit more like 4th now).

p.s. I have to connect all my gauges still since I just got my a-pillar pods the other day, so I can't say for certain what kind of boost figures I'm pushing now. I also can't wait to hook up the a/f ratio gauge as I suspect the car is running very rich (although probably a good idea to be on the safe side for now). Hopefully I can correct all of that this weekend when I get a chance to plug my laptop into the ecu and begin tuning it.

djcontra
02-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Ok, so last night i got to take the car out for a bit of an extended drive with some other max members, and i'm VERY pleased with how she's running now. First thing I did was redline the b*tch in an industrial area (before the meet), and was pleased to hear PSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH after every shift nearing the redline. I think I'll tweak the BOV to let off steam at lower rpm shifts tho since it sounds soo cool *th-up*. I cracked up so hard when a couple people walking on the sidewalk got startled when they heard the sound lol! :D
Aside from that, the boost kicks in on my car more around the 2000rpm range now instead of 3500 like before, but it still only gets really noticable around then. I should have some better numbers to display when I get my a-pillar pods installed tomorrow, 'cause right now i have NO CLUE how much boost the engine is taking in, but judging by there being no knock or ping yet, she obviously can take even more >:)
I did some extensive reading on engine tuning as well in the meantime while waiting for my car to get out of the shop, so I'm quite prepared to start reprogramming the ecu signals come tomorrow which should squeeze out quite a bit more horsepower since the car is running VERY rich right now as a safety measure (ryan can confirm that :D). Next on the list is to start welding together the exhaust which I have all the pieces for in my basement right now. I need to get it on ASAP because i can just 'feel' the car struggling at highway speeds because the exhaust isn't escaping quickly enough and creating too much backpressure. I think I'll actually gain quite a bit more hp just from opening up that huge restriction back there, but we'll see! Pending if there is any ice on the roads tonight, i'm going to G-Tech my car before and after the exhaust install to give me a rough idea as to what was gained or lost. The G-Tech is a great little tool for getting rough numbers about your car's performance, and I use it before and after EVERY modification I do to my car so that I know what i did was actually beneficial, because if it wasn't, then I revert back right away. Another thing I need to get installed is a larger air filter. The one I have on there right now is slightly caving in from the force of the blower. It's not by much, but it's definately telling me that there is a restriction there, and that's unacceptable. I've got a few other cone and foam (hks style) filters at home which I will experiment with tonight. I'm hoping I can use the foam ones because I've always been a fan of foam filters and find that they run a little better than K&N style weave filters, and are easier to clean.
Next week, I should hopefully be getting either coilovers or my lambo door hinges installed. As some of you witnessed yesterday, my suspension is SHOT (remember me pushing my car almost right to the ground with my one hand?? :D yeah it's THAT bad) But I expected that since I basically just trashed every component on my car which I planned to replace with aftermarket stuff, and got some fun out of doing it too. The shocks on there now were fine when I got the car 2 years ago but were probably still the originals from the factory so it's about time anyway. Until they're replaced tho, I can't really pull any stunts in my car because it's just UN SAFE.
Well I guess that's all for now, so as it stands, the list of things left over to do are:

-Install Rieger Spoiler
-Install Eurostyle Roof Spoiler
-Install ellipsoids and HIDs (finally! only been sitting in my room for the last 3 years :D)
-Buy 3.43 LSD differential
-Install lambo vertical door kit
-Tune ECU
-Grind the welds on the S/C piping down, polish, and get powdercoated
-Get S/C powdercoated or painted as well as the bracket (i want it all black)
-Find a place to stretch tires on my wheels (17x10" R, 17x9.0" F)
-Buy coilovers (FK konigsport silverlines)
-Upgrade rotors to E46 ones
-Buy and install M3 replica mirrors
-Figure out WTF is rattling under my hood still (grr!!)
-Clean the car (it's f*ckin' dirty eh? [some of you can comment on that hehehe])
-Weld together and install exhaust + wideband O2 and EGT sensors
-Change out clutch (and maybe the flywheel....undecided)
-Prep for paint and primer
-Get my vinyl decal kit printed from the local print shop (if you dont like the idea of vinyl decals on a bmw, TOO F*CKIN' BAD! It aint your car! :) )
-Install new fuel pump

wow, quite a bit left to do :(
but at least most of the larger expenses are out of the way, so all of this leftover stuff is just peanuts compared to the things I went through already.
I figure it'll be done in time for spring.

Will update with pics, video, or sound soon!

app
02-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Any ideas how much hp you're laying down?

djcontra
02-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Nope, not yet. The G-Tech will give me some rough figures once I get my suspension installed (because right now the car bounces around too much which I'm certain throws off the readings). If anyone with an E36 M3, and E46 M3 wants to race me though, I'm up for it....mind you my car isn't finished yet tho

djcontra
03-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Another quick update. Car is sitting in a shop right now while it's supercharger bearings are replaced. Nothing serious, just wanted to get rid of this chatter sound coming from the blower. While I have the luxury of a shop to work in while I wait, I'm testing out my new headlamps. Brand new ellipsoids with 6000k h1 bulbs, and a pair of 6000k h3 bulbs to go into my new fogs...check em out...

http://users.shore.net/~akalicak/fogs1.jpg
http://users.shore.net/~akalicak/fogs2.jpg

These fogs are really something. The grill they sit in is made of abs plastic, and seems fairly durable. The foglights themselves are solid metal with a thick glass projector lense in the middle. They have proper ventilation, come with brackets (which i needed), and have a very clean and sharp cutoff (perfect for hids!). My only challenge is to make hid bulbs fit in them...i have the right base, but I'll need to do some dremelling to make the wires exit the housing.

phaust
03-01-2005, 05:52 PM
wow, wow , and wow. dude, you've got a NICE project, keep us informed! hehe

btw, where did you found those fog light. pretty cool !

app
03-01-2005, 07:40 PM
are you doing a lot of the body prep yourself? If so, I have some questions. :)

djcontra
03-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Update for today. My car is currently running Naturally Aspirated because there's a problem with my blower. A few months ago I started to notice an annoying rattle under my hood. My first impressions were a pulley of some kind, and that was the diagnosis by Dave from motoronix as well. So I spent $1000 over the course of two visits to have this rattle fixed as well as have some other things done to the car. The other things got completed on the car, but the rattle still plagued me afterwards leaving me quite upset. Anyway, I had a good friend of mine who's a mechanic from South America take a look, and we disconnected the blower, and hooked up the car N/A. The rattle disappeared! Hooked up the blower again, and RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE. **FRIG!**. Well aside from being over pissed, we took the blower out and cracked it apart. It seems that the nozzle for the oil feed to my blower became clogged and thus starved my supercharger of oil (who knows how long). The end result was, a couple of the balls in one of the bearings became out of round. So, naturally you call Vortech up and ask for these bearings right? **WRONG** F*ckin' Vortech wont sell me the parts I need to fix my blower! Those bastards! They want me to send my blower all the way to California to have THEM diagnose and repair it...and guess how much? Almost $700 after shipping! Anyway, FORGET THAT. I'm only going to send it to them if I really have to.
Next I called up a few shops in toronto who have connections with Vortech to see if they could have any luck; nope! Not one of them could get the guy on the other end of the phone to send us some bearings. And ontop of that, Vortech is using sleezy scare tactics saying things like "Ooooh, these are specially made just for vortech bearings. They're superior to aircraft quality carbide metals, and are made to our specifications and no other application." That is such total crap!
Anyway, i called up a few bearing manufacturers in toronto, mainly SKF, and they're going to visit with me come next wednesday to see if they have anything off the shelf I can buy that would do the trick, otherwise refurbish mine with brand new balls and grease. Sure, it'll probably cost more than usual, but it's not going to cost 3/4 of a grand!
In the meantime, to keep myself busy and to take my mind off of being pissed at how this could have gone on so long without being noticed by several mechanics, I rebuilt the oil feed system for my blower with a larger nozzle, and added a pressure valve as well. I'm thinking of adding a filter to the line too just for that added safety...i guess i have tons of time now anyway! :(
Other things I've done are install HIDs on my car ***FINALLY***. I ended up selling my old DJAuto ones in order to get slightly better ones to use on my car. My main concerns with the DJAuto ones were that they used a lot of plasics, especially on the reflectors which made me uneasy. I'm not saying they were garbage, but I just wanted better for my bmw. I was eyeing some ZKW's when I spoke to a friend of mine from Asia who convinced me to buy these new generation Depo ones. I wasn't convinced at the start. but he later showed me that they are almost identical, and that the reflectors were made of metals instead of plastic. Ontop of that, the rear doors were much more snub than my old ones, leaving more clearance for my supercharger piping. What sold me next though was that they were only a mear $245, compared to $600 for the ZKWs. I took a chance, and ordered them, and well, they came in this afternoon and I was very very pleased with the quality of the product.
Out of the box, they didn't last more than 5 minutes before I had them under the hole-saw cutting two 22mm holes for my hids. A little off center, but close enough, the hid bulbs fit in like brand new, and I popped the rubber gromets into the back covers of the headlamps. Installation and fitment has never been so quick in my life...i guess I owe it to removing and re-installing headlamps on these cars over 3 dozen times now :D. I still have a gripe that I can't get rid of that ugly space ontop the headlamps...makes the car look kind of droopy...anyone know how to fix this?
I rested the ballasts off to the side of the engine bay; dunno where I'm going to place them just yet, and turned on the car.
WOW
This is the first kit that actually looked like the kelvin rating advertised on the box, without tinting the bulb! My 6500k bulbs lit up like a charm, igniters, ballasts, and all. I even got away with using the stock 7.5amp fuses with no need to push them to 10amps like with my philips ones before. I can't wait for it to get dark out now so I can aim them; 'cause they look really high right now from what I did see.
Total cost for the brand new plug and play hid kit, plus the depos was about $550. This is a steal of a price for such a great looking setup, considering this combo used to sell for over a grand only one or two years ago.
Tomorrow, if the weather holds up I want to remove my bumper and install my ellipsoid foglights. I have placed an order in already for H3 based 6500k hid bulbs to go in the fogs...I just have some doubts about how the bulbs are going to fit, and if I'll need to take the back covers to a machine shop to have drill pressed or not. For now, I placed the fogs in the sockets where they'll soon be just to see how they might look. Wow, i never realized how much my body kit has faded since I bought it...the fogs look really out of place being so much blacker...nothing some primer won't fix since I plan to ship my car off for paint as soon as the blower situation is resolved.
Other things I have on order coming in from the states, Bilstein PSS coilovers.

Things left to do:
---
Refurbish/Replace supercharger bearings
Install Projector Fog lamps
Install HIDs in projector fog lamps
Install CCFL Angel eyes in my ellipsoids (Aww man, I have to take em out again? :D)
Install brackets for hid ballasts
Install front and rear mesh in bumpers
Install Rieger front brake ducts
Find shop to install GT Factory diablo vertical door hinges
Find shop to prep car, flare and fix fenders, install spoiler, then paint
Install suspension

Things left to buy
---
4x 265x17 rubber for my wheels (and a place who will stretch them for me!)
Magnaflow dual-in-dual-out muffler
Polished or Chromed rolled lip exhaust tips (3" id each)
Main accessory belt
ABS wheel speed sensor
Front and rear Rieger splitters (or find a shop to make some out of metal)
TFT Screen for front dash + DVD/CD Player
Limited Slip Differential

Maybes
---
M3 Cams (does anyone know if S52 cams will work in an M50??)
Knock sensor kit
Front + Rear stress bars
Glass Moon roof

Still lots of work ahead, and still some more spending to do. I have since lost track of how much I'm spending on the car, and have now gotten to the point where it really doesn't matter anymore. I know my car wont be a supercar in the end, but I know I'll be very satisfied with the results as I've never owned a car previously which I liked this much for this long. (Longest I owned a car previously was 11months).

djcontra
03-18-2005, 08:11 PM
OK it's dark enough now to see.... HOLY SMOKES batman are they out of alignment :D.
Unfortunately I do now have my torx set on me to aim them lower, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. Damn are these things ever bright though, and the beam pattern is perfect! (sharp, straight cutoff line w/ no dead spots)
My neighbor across the street came out to compliment me on them, and to say they were blinding him while eating dinner cause they were shining into his window lol! :D (oops!!)

Rampage
03-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Wow! Your car sounds amazing! I really want to see your car in person.

Hope you can get everything worked out for those bearings. Seems really rediculous that they wont send you them.

The lights sound impressive! I love the look of xenons - that clean and clear light.

bmdoubleya
03-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Bummer about the suprcharger *sad*

hope you can get it rebuilt local!!

jeremy
03-18-2005, 10:12 PM
call superior fuel injection/dals 905-475-1122 ...ask for Jilles (pronounced= jy-ells)....we send all our turbo's there to be rebuilt/repaired...

djcontra
03-18-2005, 10:56 PM
thanks jeremy I'll give em a call first thing monday unless they're open tomorrow.

djcontra
05-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Oops, forgot to post some updates :D

Well, my charger is in the hands of Vortech now....dont ask, really pissed off about it all, but anyway, should be rebuilt and back on the car in a couple weeks. Right now I'm scouring different body shops to decide on which one I'll trust to work on my car. I may even decide to have one shop do the welding of my vertical door kit, and one do the painting, or if i'm lucky one to do both. Either way i'm on a spending blitz right now dropping thousands to just finish up this car cause I've waited long enough *th-up*
Tomorrow or friday I am travelling out west to pickup my wheels, Keskin KT-1 17x8.5 (front) and 17x10 (rear). Cost quite a bit of money, but will definately complete the design of the authentic Infinity I kit. I was debating for ages on getting a set of OZ Futuras but they no longer make them so I'd have to buy used. Since i've had headaches in the past buying used wheels, i opted to get the Keskin replicas which weigh a tad more, and aren't forged, but I wont have to get them refinished, or deal with anything being out of round.
Suspension is going on next, I know i've been saying that for a while now, but it's planned to go on after the paint is completed. Around the same time I'll be beefing up the brakes with E46 vented gas slotted rotors too.
Depending on how long paint and body work will take, I hope to have my car ready for July. No further pics will be posted from now on as I want it to be a surprise when it's finished *th-up*

jeremy
05-25-2005, 12:46 PM
kt1's will look HOT !
you know hamann makes those wheels too (hamann pg) :

Ital_325i
05-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Wow, what a read, I just read that whole thing, and its like a really good novel, whats gonna happen next. I am so looking forward to seeing this car finally finished. Sticking to a project for so long is very inspiring. Now thanks to you, my bank account is going to deplete itself into my car. :D

Two thumbs up for you, even with work, and everything else, you managed to make so much time for this car.

djcontra
06-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Well Vortech is telling me 2.5 weeks to go before i should have my charger back in my hands....They say it only really takes 3 or 4 days to rebuild it, but for now it's sitting on a shelf waiting to be inspected still because they're really busy (busy eh? makes me wonder why they have so many chargers lined up to be rebuilt :( )
Not to let that put a damper on things, I worked up enough motivation to continue on the car anyway. As always, i scour ebay mostly to price items I dream of buying, but for some reason today, the prices were amazing! Not to mention our dollar is fairly strong todat at $0.79, so shopping was most definately on my mind! I figured I'd limit my spending today at $1000, but thankfully I haven't even breached the $500 mark yet. So far today I purchased a set of M3 mirrors for my car, manual ones which i plan to retrofit the heater and motors from my stock mirrors into; $50 a pair. Next on my list was an exhaust. I had started to workout the costs of building my own true dual exhaust, but then it hit me smack in the face, $320 + shipping for a full catback remus exhaust! Not a remus-like exhaust, but a REAL remus exhaust direct from remus themselves! I guess they're having an overstock sale or something, or are testing the waters with ebay, but heck, if anyone wants a real remus exhaust for cheap, jump on them now, there are a couple left on ebay!
I was then looking at some interior trim pieces since I haven't done much in the way of interior gadgets, but I just can't seem to work up enough motivation to buy anything yet....i guess since the interior doesn't matter much to me anyway, but i really should get some ACS pedals, CF guage bezel, deep brushed metal gauge rings, and maybe some new door sills. We'll see how I feel later, maybe i'll drop the couple hundred to buy all that junk, but if not, in due time.
At the end of this week my work is flying me out to denver colorado to help build a new datacentre for them; it'll put me a week behind my current schedule for getting the car done, but I could use the vacation since I seem to be snapping a lot at work these days. (I somewhat blame not driving these past few months; driving seems to allow me to release a lot of tension and anger which i'm missing these days. I love taking my car to an industrial area or up north into the country at night at just smashing the gas pedal so hard into the floorboard until I peg the needle of the speedometer...oOoOohhh it feels almost like sex to me :D)

p.s. Oh yeah, about the rims. HOT HOT HOT! OMFG! I can't put them on the car yet cause the rears rub against the fenders, but that'll soon be fixed by the body shop when they pull them out and roll them. No pics, sorry, I promised I wouldn't post any until the car is done, but just imagine in your mind owning a set of Keskin KT-1's w/ spec of 10x17 et20 245/40/17 and 8.5x17 et15 215/45/17 ;)

djcontra
07-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Pics of the remus exhaust which came in the mail a couple minutes ago. Too bad it's wet outside or i'd have this puppy on there this afternoon *th-up*

The only word to describe it is "WOW".

Justin e36
07-05-2005, 04:57 PM
remus... yummy!
caliper or engine paint that badboy to keep it from rusting and mount her up!

djcontra
07-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Justin, I'm planning on putting the exhaust on this week after work (whenever it's dry out). Where does the exhaust usually rust, and would winter undercoating be enough? I plan to get my car's underside covered in this thick sticky tar-like undercoating my mechanic sprays on for me (stuff doesn't come off for years), would that be enough?

Quack
07-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Adam is your car going to be ready for Bimmercruise? I would really want to see your car, it's been like 2 years now :D

djcontra
07-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Nope wont be ready for the cruise. It's actually going to the body shop on the 14th for a short while. They say they can get it done in a week, but i dont want them to rush it. Most of my time was spent getting the wheels in, or at least sourcing a place within canada to even order them from [ Everyone buy from www.tiretrends.com (canadian company) they're WONDERFUL to deal with and have amazing prices! ]. I need the wheels on the car so that the body shop knows how much to flare my fenders cause they're a bit oversized. Last couple of things I need to get before paint is a roof spoiler off of fil, and the little bracket thingy for one of my fogs...then she's FINISHED.
even tho i wont make it to the bimmercruise, i'm going to enjoy august so much driving it around....

p.s. 2 years ago i was a broke ass technical support guy, now i'm makin over 55k, and hopefully 65 to 85k after this week...so that's why progress was slow but it's speeding up so much now :D

Justin e36
07-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Justin, I'm planning on putting the exhaust on this week after work (whenever it's dry out). Where does the exhaust usually rust, and would winter undercoating be enough? I plan to get my car's underside covered in this thick sticky tar-like undercoating my mechanic sprays on for me (stuff doesn't come off for years), would that be enough?

Only recently did Remus make stainless steel muffler, they usually rust on the underside near the tips... I think it's actually from water entering the tips and sitting inside the muffler, but I'm not 100% sure. Undercoating is not good for mufflers since it's actually a rubberized tar... the heat from the muffler will cause it to burn and smell acrid... not to mention it's a potential fire hazard.

If you have the Remus Sport Exhaust with dual 90mm tips then you probably have the newer 100% stainless steel version and don't have to worry as much.

djcontra
07-05-2005, 10:29 PM
It's part# 0879010506S, dual 90mm tips, stainless.
It's supposed to be brand new (as of this year it was manufactured), so i'll probably be ok. I've never heard of the rubberized undercoating catching fire, but then again i never have it sprayed near my manifolds or on the catalytic converter. I've had great success with it on every car i've owned tho, including the bmw my sister bought from me. I'll probably give it a shot anyway cause i believe it helps during the winter months keeping the salt off the metal. Thanks for the heads up tho!

Justin e36
07-05-2005, 10:48 PM
yeah I undercoat everything too. Mufflers I use black or silver caliper paint good up to 900 degrees which seems to do a good job as well. As long as the oxygen can't get to the metal, it won't rust. :)

djcontra
07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Another update for this week. My work couldn't honour me my vacation as early as I had planned, so the car now goes in for paint on the week of the 23rd (next week), so I'm scrambling to finish up some things before it goes in. Vortech finally sent me my new supercharger, so I spent much of yesterday reinstalling it; once again huge grins ear to ear when I smash the gas pedal. The new charger has completely new internals with a new improved impellar design. I can't be completely certain but I could swear i'm getting about 1 or 2psi more boost than I was before at WOT (I dont have a second pair of eyes to help verify), but the throttle response is much improved now that the charger is leak free (as in, not leaking oil into my intake pipes and filter).
I had some mishaps at the garage when putting my exhaust on though. My mechanics lift can't work on my car any longer due to the arms crushing the side skirts with every attempt (even with jacking up the front slightly!). A little diappointed because I like to give my business to my mechanic friend, but I was desperate to get things done so I took her over to NoyzBoyz today to finish the job. Noyzboyz has a lift setup with two rails you drive onto and it lifts the whole car (kind of like a flat bed design). Waited about an hour for them to unsieze my exhaust bolts, and fix the alignment of the muffler tips (I stressed to them that I wanted it to look perfect, and they didn't disappoint!). 1hr labour later, w/ no tax, and she was brought down from the hoist. Started her up and WOW, Jizz in my pants amazing! The car sounds sooooooo sick; I'm very happy with the sound of the remus exhaust. It doesn't have that ''raspy'' sound that some aftermarket mufflers have, but instead a nice low throaty sound under accelleration, and is quite quiet while idling or at low speeds. As well, no droning sound either, just a perfectly tuned euro sound is all I can describe it as. As for performance, my car is DEFINATELY faster when accellerating. The restrictive stock exhaust was impeding my performance so much but I never realized it until now. On my previous bmw, a performance exhaust didn't do much but make my car feel slower off the line and sound cool, but this one in addition to the supercharger made the world of difference! If I can figure out a good way to record a sound clip I will, but it might just be easier to shoot some video of my car ;)
Needless to say, everyone should get a good exhaust like this one, it makes a huge difference in how the car sounds and looks..love the rolled chrome tips too

Justin e36
07-20-2005, 04:51 PM
how much did noyzboyz charge for the labour?

freeflow exhaust w/ a supercharger is a must! ..

djcontra
07-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Had some trouble over the past few days which kept my car out of the shop even longer now. I took my car for a spin the other night to test everything out before I was ''supposed'' to take it in the following day, but as usual my luck turned for worse and my rad neck exploded on me as I was driving down queensquay. It seems that I lost a clip from my rad and it ended up take a dive into my supercharger as I was driving hard, and bashed the plastic neck. After getting flatbedded home on a saturday night (btw, good luck finding a flatbed like I did! You got to have hookupz on weekends for that! *th-up*), I parked her, and began working to fix it the next day. I picked up a brand new rad from K&H Radiator (the place I get to fix all my rads, heater cores, and build me intercoolers), which was $280 cash, no tax. I wanted to get aluminum but then I would have to wait a few days for it to come in, so i just got the stock one again and decided to fix my design and secure the rad until I could buy a new clip.
Here's a pick of the engine after the new rad was installed. For now it's security tied on one side to keep it from moving around, but it'll work for now. I took the opportunity to finish another project I was putting off for years now, and that's finishing the pipes. I managed to grind down all the piping and paint it before reinstalling, giving it a slightly nicer look to the engine bay. They're not absolutely perfect, but for those who saw my engine before, this is a HUGE improvement and I'm quite happy. Of course, I expect people like ''Jordan'' to make some stupid comment on them, but ah well, this configuration was the best anyone could come up with so far, and it's evolved so much too, so if you thing you can do better please show me how! :)

p.s. disregard the spilled antifreeze on the rad lol! :D

Justin e36
07-30-2005, 06:47 PM
there's spilled antifreeze on your rad.

kidding.. :) .. looks good. I'll be needing some advice when I'm ready to install my garrett.

also, do you still need that window motor?.. I have 'em sitting here.

Let me know.

J

thinair
07-30-2005, 10:19 PM
You replaced the stock rad with another stock rad? Why not get an aluminium one? Or at least an e46 M3 one, more capacity, and it drops right in.

I know what I'm doing as soon as my rad shows signs of it's death.

djcontra
07-31-2005, 03:42 AM
You replaced the stock rad with another stock rad? Why not get an aluminium one? Or at least an e46 M3 one, more capacity, and it drops right in.

I know what I'm doing as soon as my rad shows signs of it's death.

It would have been nice I know, but I couldn't wait the 5 days for one to be ordered through K&H, and besides, i'm kind of strapped for cash right now since I need a few K for the paintjob and body work....i'll get the aluminum one in 5 years after the current rad breaks :D
I managed to fix the problem of the rad rubbing up against my blower hardware today though, so the reason why my neck broke shouldnt' happen again.

paul
08-01-2005, 01:37 PM
it's looking good. the stock rad holds up really well. just and two bottels of water wetter

djcontra
08-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Headlamps; 100% completed, aimed, and damn are they ever sexy!
So far I haven't been flashed by anyone with their highbeams, but I have been stopped numerous times today driving around with the CCFL's in...mostly other bimmer owners asking where to get them.
These rings aren't umnitza DDE's, they're just some cheap ccfl's i bought off of ebay from hong kong. The kit looks identical to DDE's except these dont have any ridges to give that oem look...
Regardless, the HIDs and CCFLs are sex just looking at them! I want to just go out and drive to show them off like a riceboy now lol!

http://users.shore.net/~akalicak/headlamp.gif
http://users.shore.net/~akalicak/bothheadlamps.gif

I'd take better pics, but then that would give away what my car looks like, and that's top secret :)

ZiMMie
08-09-2005, 05:07 AM
guys i got some pics of this dudes car. paypal me 5$ and ill send u the pics
:D

are u gonna keep the corners yellow.?(please say yes)

djcontra
08-09-2005, 11:11 AM
The corners are actually smoked clears, but I left orange bulbs in them because i love the eggyolk look for some reason...plus it's 100% legal, and that's what my car is all about being, legal :)

p.s. i'll likely sell my taillights to get new ones though because my current ones have orange plastic bulb covers in them and I dont like it. I want the orange bulb to reflect an orange hue in the entire signal, not just a dot in the middle, so they're likely going to go.

Miguel
08-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Headlamps; 100% completed, aimed, and damn are they ever sexy!
So far I haven't been flashed by anyone with their highbeams, but I have been stopped numerous times today driving around with the CCFL's in...mostly other bimmer owners asking where to get them.
These rings aren't umnitza DDE's, they're just some cheap ccfl's i bought off of ebay from hong kong. The kit looks identical to DDE's except these dont have any ridges to give that oem look...
Regardless, the HIDs and CCFLs are sex just looking at them! I want to just go out and drive to show them off like a riceboy now lol!

http://users.shore.net/~akalicak/headlamp.gif
http://users.shore.net/~akalicak/bothheadlamps.gif

I'd take better pics, but then that would give away what my car looks like, and that's top secret :)

link to ebay seller/kit?
how much did it cost you?

djcontra
08-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Miguel, ebay only keeps a history of my purchases for the last 60 days so I'm not sure who the seller is anymore. The cost around $75 CDN shipped to my door. No duties and taxes (as usual with items from HK or China I've noticed)
Do a search on ebay for CCFL and you'll likely find them if they're still for sale.
I'll see if the box has a company name on it too when I get home incase there is a website to buy from as well.

(oh yeah, they work on e46's as well)

Justin e36
08-09-2005, 06:33 PM
yes, angel eyes are definately my #1 compliment from most people. I made a custom kit though... I'm weary of CCFL kits just because I know it'll annoy me when a ring blows and I have to pop the whole headlight out to replace it.. (especially in the winter)... blown bulbs annoy me almost as much as squeaks and rattles.

did you remove the reflectors from your stock low beams?

btw.. you can remove the orange reflectors from your existing tail lights with needle nose pliers.

djcontra
08-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. Justin, I didn't remove any of the lenses as I kind of like the look it has right now, even though the rings are behind glass and not on the outside of them as with oem rings. I'll have to check the tail lights again to see if you're right about removing the orange plastic bubble. It looked like i could seperate it from the reflector, but it's a) too big to come out in one piece, and b) if i crack it into smaller pieces, i'm afraid i might scratch something inside the turn signal...i dunno...

Oh yeah....here's another teaser pic....(dont get the keyboard all sticky! :D)

17x10 Keskin KT1, 5x120 ET-20, 255/40/17 Yokohama ES100
(will they fit? heck do I know! Rieger said they would with wheel well and fender mods! ...might trade the 255's for 245 or 235's though...not sure *th-up*)

http://users.shore.net/~akalicak/rim.jpg

app
08-09-2005, 08:55 PM
damn that is a teaser pic for sure

Justin e36
08-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. Justin, I didn't remove any of the lenses as I kind of like the look it has right now, even though the rings are behind glass and not on the outside of them as with oem rings. I'll have to check the tail lights again to see if you're right about removing the orange plastic bubble. It looked like i could seperate it from the reflector, but it's a) too big to come out in one piece, and b) if i crack it into smaller pieces, i'm afraid i might scratch something inside the turn signal...i dunno...

interesting design... the lowbeam bulb doesn't have the reflector in them like OEM ZKW's... how is the light spread on them? Looks like they won't light up very well... (if it matters?). A lot of people modify their low beam ZKW's to remove the reflector so you can see the angel eyes even with the lowbeams on (as in your pic)... but the lowbeams become pretty much useless compared to stock ZKW's.

About the orange part, I'm 100% positive you can remove it. However, as you noticed, it will not come out in one piece. No worries about scratching anything either. Use needlenose plyers and pry each "leg" out of the base. Once it falls out, use the needle nose plyers to crush the orange reflector into 2 or 3 pieces, then just shake it out of the hole. I've done it many times on both tail lights, and turn signals.

J

djcontra
08-10-2005, 12:14 AM
interesting design... the lowbeam bulb doesn't have the reflector in them like OEM ZKW's... how is the light spread on them? Looks like they won't light up very well... (if it matters?). A lot of people modify their low beam ZKW's to remove the reflector so you can see the angel eyes even with the lowbeams on (as in your pic)... but the lowbeams become pretty much useless compared to stock ZKW's.

About the orange part, I'm 100% positive you can remove it. However, as you noticed, it will not come out in one piece. No worries about scratching anything either. Use needlenose plyers and pry each "leg" out of the base. Once it falls out, use the needle nose plyers to crush the orange reflector into 2 or 3 pieces, then just shake it out of the hole. I've done it many times on both tail lights, and turn signals.

J

Cool, I'll try that tomorrow if i have time. I bet some people think i'm being silly removing the orange globe only to replace it with an orange bulb, but i have my reasons :D
As for the headlamps, i'd have to see the differences between my Depo headlamps and ZKWs. I know for a fact that ZKW's optics are far superior, but you know what, Depo did a damn good job at making an OEM replacement as I've owned a few different sets of ellipsoids before and these are by far the best made so far. Depo didn't cheap out like some companies and use plastic projector parts; it's basically all metal in the depos which wont crack when hitting a hard bump etc. The glass lense inside the headlamps aren't plastic or acrylic which is prone to melting or distorting (like some older inpro's did), and when using HIDs, there are a far less number of ''hot spots'' or dark spots in the beam pattern. My only problem with the depos I currently own is that they were made for a RHD vehicle (serves me right...i wasn't thinking when i ordered from china), but I managed to modify the shield inside the projector so that the cutoff is straight across and doesn't have those two flares at the edges which are supposed to light up road signs or something....personally i can see signs just fine without it and I think having a straight across cutoff looks better anyway (and i can aim higher :D)

p.s. thanks for trying to help with those window motors for my sister's car. Even if you can't find any replacements, thanks for trying at least *th-up*

Miguel
08-10-2005, 12:27 PM
are your CCFL's the same as lava lighting ones?

djcontra
08-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Miguel: Mine look almost exactly like this kit on ebay except this must be a generation II because mine didn't have the nice ridges that these ones do. Oh well...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-E36-Ultra-Bright-43000mcd-CCFL-Angel-Eyes-Kit-M3_W0QQitemZ7992091560QQcategoryZ28645QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

djcontra
03-22-2006, 03:26 AM
Latest updates:

-Installed Powered/Heated M3 mirrors. They're replicas but have a metal base and everything....as close to OEM as can be for $180!

-Repaired a huge crack in my front bumper which I caused when I accidentally dumped the clutch reversing out of a parking lot (dont EVER try and work the clutch with your right foot while the left is out the door lol!) Learning to plastic weld was fun though. A fellow max member helped me out huge by selling me the supplies to get the job done. Everything looks brand new, and nobody will ever know the bumper got hit. *th-up*

-Installed Rieger Infinity rear wing (took long enough..dont know why i didn't put it on sooner...i guess sometihng about drilling holes in my trunk and only getting one chance to do it right had a lot to do with it :D)

-Installed projector foglights and mesh into my front bumper, still need to do the rear

-Currently fitting HID's into the projector fogs....they have a sharp cutoff built in so the HID should look sweet

-Installed ///M oil cap (10hp gain)

-Replaced all belts and a few pulleys (to get rid of the chattering sounds i hear when i drive)

-Purchased TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts which are going on this coming weekend

-Installing my cadmium plated brembos as well this weekend

So what's next?

-Plan to buy Rieger Infinity II fender flares + lip spoilers next week from AMI
-Need to pickup a roof spoiler from fil (sorry man, been promising to do this forever now)

After those items have been purchased, there's nothing stopping it from getting painted wooohoooo!!!!!!!

djcontra
03-24-2006, 06:17 AM
Some quick snaps of the TEIN coilovers w/ pillow ball mounts and camber plates
Works with EDC too...

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58236
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58237

1BADBMR
03-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Wow Those Tein Coils looks sweet*th-up*

uber e36
03-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Those mounts look HARDCORE!

thinair
03-25-2006, 11:09 PM
So you can only adjust camber, but not caster?

PedroBMW
03-26-2006, 10:45 AM
thats what i was wondering too

djcontra
03-26-2006, 04:20 PM
I dunno, how do i tell? Even if i can't, I still think these were a good deal for $1500.

djcontra
03-26-2006, 04:22 PM
I just realized I wont be able to use my strut brace anymore with these coilovers because of the adjustable damper knob up top. Guess I'll have one for sale ;)

WASABI
03-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Nice coilovers ! I was looking to get the same ones, but couldn't find them in that price range. My GC plates has the side to side like yours for camber, but it also has front to back adjustment, which is for caster.

uber e36
03-26-2006, 09:00 PM
When I just bought all my new suspension pieces, I chose not to buy the M3 Front Strut Mounts, as they produce positive caster (sliding the wheels forward a bit).

The benefit to this is better high speed stability, but the down side is a wider turning radius.

I thought the turning radius was more important so I stuck with the 325 mounts.

thinair
03-26-2006, 09:31 PM
When I just bought all my new suspension pieces, I chose not to buy the M3 Front Strut Mounts, as they produce positive caster (sliding the wheels forward a bit).

The benefit to this is better high speed stability, but the down side is a wider turning radius.

I thought the turning radius was more important so I stuck with the 325 mounts.
Any stock car has positive front caster, that's just part of the design. The M3 strut mounts shift the top of the strut back, increasing the caster a bit, but move the front wheels back slightly as well. And the part about high speed stabilty is right, but the turning radius is unaffected, it's limited by the steering rack, or tire width/wheel offset.

Stuttgart
03-27-2006, 01:12 AM
U Were Smart By Getting Ur Rims From Wheel Max. Very Good Site To Do Biz With And Cheap As Hell, Not To Mention The Package Deals They Offer! Post Some Pics Too, Peace!

Jim .E.
03-30-2006, 02:31 AM
mmmm Teins *mw*

btw Adam its great weather now post some pics :P

djcontra
03-30-2006, 02:39 PM
pics would be nice huh? :P

Jim .E.
03-30-2006, 04:12 PM
pics would be nice huh? :P

yes, yes they would

wheres ZiMMiE with the spy shots :D

djcontra
04-28-2006, 02:09 PM
My car died on the highway again, luckily I was able to limp home, but what was interesting were the conditions I was in. 5500rpm at 160km/h in 4th (roughly anyway), going up hill when the car just suddenly lost all power over 2500rpm; it felt completely flat on the revs. So when i got home i did some research and came to the conclusion that my car probably starved from fuel. Knowing the check valve is gone in my stock pump I figured I would change the pump out and see if this solves my problems. I opted to buy the Walbro 255LPH pump, overkill for my car but for $89 USD why not...
Installation required modification of my fuel pump housing but everything fit in snugly and the pump is very quiet too.

results?

WELL I DIDN"T THINK A FUEL PUMP COULD DO SO MUCH!!

My car idles absolutely perfectly now, and the revs are smooth as butter throughout the rpm range. Driving I notice no hesitation AT ALL, and no bogging down off the line when engaging 1st gear. Will take it out on the highway tonight but I can already feel a huge difference. Once i lean off the mixture a bit she'll become even more of a beast than i've seen her ;)

Instructions i followed to change the pump are here:

http://www.digitalsimple.com/TheMCoupeProject/03.10.06%20walbro%20gs340/Walbro%20GSS340%20Fuel%20Pump.htm

djcontra
05-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Here are some quick snaps. Dont usually like to show the car in an unfinished condition hence the lack of pics. This will be the last pic shown before she goes in for paint. She's missing an assortment of accessories in these pics such as a new grill, ///M moldings, rims, new emblems, etc etc etc as I plan on installing all of that after it comes back from paint. I plan on actually handing the car over to paint in as many parts as I can and them re-assembling the car myself (i'm a control freak, what can i say! :D)

Would have taken better pics, but did my best with what little time i had yesterday on my camera phone *th-up*

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59356

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59353

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59354

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59355

propr'one
05-01-2006, 07:30 PM
nice hummer

djcontra
05-01-2006, 07:37 PM
nice hummer

Thanks! It's muh grocery getter :P

Jim .E.
05-02-2006, 02:44 AM
its comin along well!

i remember a hummer like that at BimmerCruise (from pics), was it yours?

djcontra
05-02-2006, 02:17 PM
its comin along well!

i remember a hummer like that at BimmerCruise (from pics), was it yours?

Thanks! The hummer is actually my fathers, but I think I take it out more than he does. It was more fun when diesel was 59cents to the litre than what it is now; it's almost 1:1 with gasoline!

Soon to be (but in black)...

http://i-tuning.ru/img/catalog/image81.jpg

http://i-tuning.ru/img/catalog/image74.jpg

325iSBimmer
05-02-2006, 08:29 PM
wow....thats gonna look great in black!

Gamite
05-02-2006, 09:40 PM
lol it looks really funny with the giant wing and the small wheels.

Finish this thing already!!! :)

djcontra
05-02-2006, 11:59 PM
lol it looks really funny with the giant wing and the small wheels.

LOL I know!! I'll take some updated pics with everything in primer and the rims on maybe this weekend cause trust me she looks great with em on!

Finish this thing already!!! :)

OK OK!! *mumble*
I promise to have it done for this summer, but hopefully sooner. The delays in the project were the result of saving up to buy a house....i just couldn't bare to give up the car to buy a house, I want both so I patiently waited it out :)

Miguel
05-03-2006, 12:17 AM
when it's done, can you sell me the hummer?

... i need to compensate for my lil'man :(

jotti
05-11-2006, 05:07 AM
Those fogs have got to go. I can get you projector fogs if you are interested. Black housings.

djcontra
05-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Those fogs have got to go. I can get you projector fogs if you are interested. Black housings.

I'm not crazy about the fogs either but at the time they were the only viable option and I planned to swap them out once something better came along. I'd love to see what you have for sale, please pm me a pic or two so I can see what they're like.

djcontra
05-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that there is a very good chance my charger kit will be for sale minus the BOV and FPR. I can ''delete'' these in the kit so it's a direct bolt on to your car without any modification. Charger is next to brand new, it only has 1000km's or less on it since i bought it from Vortech recently.

Check the for-sale section after monday....

djcontra
05-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Posted some vids of the car while it still had the s/c here:

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71455

djcontra
05-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Latest update...

Decided to visit RMP for the first time to talk to them about possibly switching over to turbo (after painting the car mind you). I took a look at the kit they have for sale, (it's awesome btw), but decided to go custom with brand new parts instead. In the meantime I left my car there to have the suspension installed, which when I spoke with rocco today, seemed to go on without any major problems; I'm very pleased to hear that. Not to mention, rocco's price for labour to install the suspension beats ANY shop i've been to in the past for a job like this, so kudos to RMP for that!
I should be able to pickup the car tomorrow to see how it rides, and I'll give a full review. For now I'm just going to continue resting while nursing a throat infection I've got :( (totally sux!!)

So far here's what I've got on order for the turbo kit as of today:

-Cast iron E36 turbo manifold
-T3/T4 Turbo
-Turbo wastegate
-2x 2.5" mandrel U-bends
-2x 2.5" mandrel 90' elbows
-1x 2" -> 2.5" metal reducer
-Silicone couplers (already own them)
-BOV (already own it)
-Rising Rate FPR (already own it and installed)
-V-Clamp kit (for exhaust side of turbo)
-Pyrometer + Gauge
-Boost gauge
-A-Pillar gauge pods (already own it)

Things still left to buy:

-Intercooler (Have to wait until I get my car back to measure up what size of Intercooler core I need)
-Boost controller
-T-bolt clamps
-Misc fittings and lines (oil, coolant, vaccum etc)
-Software (optional...i have a piggyback EMS installed so i may be able to do it myself)

I will most likely be approaching RMP to see if they'd be interested in installing these parts on my car probably late summer early fall. I would need help from someone like them anyway for the downpipe fabbing etc...

Let me know right away if i'm missing anything too... *th-up*

djcontra
05-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Small update...

Everything required now for the turbo kit has been ordered or picked up here locally so far. I just got back now from grabbing an intercooler for the car as well as some backet material I will use to affix it to the chassis. I will leave picking up the t-bolt clamps and any special silicone couplers I might need until the end cause I can't determine how many or what kind I will need until I start cutting pipes. I opted to pick up some 3" mandrel piping as well today which I plan to use to pipe from the FMIC to the throttle body. Everything before the FMIC will be 2.5". Additionally I picked up an oil catch kit, as well I plan to go out now and grab all of the oil fittings for the turbo from a shop here in scarborough. Now I just sit and wait for things like the manifold to come in! :P

spooner_dee
05-18-2006, 07:16 PM
hey dj, question about your fogs, i see you have the projectors, as do i, are your's aimed right or does the light just go right down. I ask cuz mine the light just goes right down. Not sure how to aim them up other then jaming somtin under em to face them upwards lol

djcontra
05-18-2006, 09:02 PM
hey dj, question about your fogs, i see you have the projectors, as do i, are your's aimed right or does the light just go right down. I ask cuz mine the light just goes right down. Not sure how to aim them up other then jaming somtin under em to face them upwards lol

They're very limited in movement, but basically you can loosen the screws on either side of the projector housing and aim the lights up and down only 1 or 2 mm either way. Mine both seem to be aimed fine, yet we'll have to see how they really are when the HIDs go in as it'll be really noticable then.

djcontra
05-25-2006, 01:54 AM
The fedex guy came by today.... *mw*

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60064

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60065

This is just one of two charger I have coming, this being the smaller of the two. Since I'm new to turbocharging I'm not entirely sure what A/R and trim will work best on my car or for my horsepower needs. Thankfully this blower only cost me $175 shipped believe it or not so if it doesnt work out then no big loss :)
Now i'm just waiting on the manifold and wastegate pipe before i can begin!!! I just have to figure out now how you rotate the volutes of the turbocharger....kinda worried to take it apart but i know i have to! =/

Furious
05-25-2006, 04:50 AM
damn nice. i be jeleous :)time to update the boosted check in thread soon

djcontra
05-28-2006, 02:19 PM
While I continue to wait for the manifold to arrive (I cant believe it's the last part to come in and then i begin!! OMFG lol) I had some guys from bimmerforums and dtmpower teach me the basics of tuning my car with my SMT6 piggyback EMS. Now that I finally understand how to use it to an extent, I'm absolutely LOVING this thing! Problem #1 which I solved within the first 10 seconds was my chronic problem of stalling at highspeed. My MAF sensor would flip out and throw a code at anything over 4000rpm, and what I learned was happening was that when the MAF reaches 5volts it tops out and retards my timing putting the car in a limp mode...or cuts my fuel off alltogether it feels like sometimes. So I said F*** that, and I used my SMT6 to intercept the MAF signal and only allow it to reach a maximum of 4.97volts :D TAKE THAT EViL MAF!!! I plan to install a MAP sensor on the car as well to suppliment my MAF sensor. The SMT6 can be wired up to read boost pressure from a MAP sensor and retard my timing automatically....I so want this!! The only other thing I need to do is modify the fuel curve for larger injectors. I plan to buy some 30# or 42# injectors and use the SMT6 to calibrate the engine to idle properly with them. Additionally to that however I will need to upgrade to a larger MAF from either a bmw or another car (doesn't matter actually since I'll be using the SMT). I need one which tops out at a higher voltage than the 5v stock maf which seems to suck ass for FI above 5 or 6psi.
Will take mad pics during the turbo installation! I figure 1 week at most for the complete install to finish....in theory it can all go on in about 2 days but I'm stretching that cause I know i'll be running to the hardware store 10x a day for misc parts when I find out I need them lol

djcontra
05-30-2006, 06:04 AM
Well it seems the cap on the voltage for my MAF did the trick, no more stalling at highway speeds. I set it at a comfortable 4.90 instead of 4.98 as with 4.98 I still felt a bit of hesitation up top..now she feels alive with power almost all throughout. Still waiting for my manifold to arrive...was hoping for today :(

Jim .E.
05-30-2006, 09:52 PM
from supercharger to turbo :eek: this things gonna be even scarier than before, cant wait to see pics when this beast is finally done...took a long time but its coming along way

djcontra
06-02-2006, 04:32 AM
Ya it's been a VERY long time, but it's the best I can do because money is tight (I only budget so much per year for entertainment which includes my car :))
I am still...yes STILL waiting for my mofo of a manifold to come. Hoping it'll be here today sometime, as I want to use this weekend to start taking the head off the car. I think I'm going to put on a thicker head gasket...I thought about it long and hard, and although it will make my turbo project cost more than I had originally planned for, I think this preventative measure will save me more in the long run.....plus maybe I want to turn up the boost higher than 10 :D
Anyway, will post some pics of the entire kit unassembled as soon as the manifold comes in so everyone can see what's going on and for those who might be curious what's involved in building a turbo kit.

djcontra
06-03-2006, 12:49 PM
FINALLY!!!! OMFG

*love*

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60268

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60269

The manifold looks awesome! Really well made, and from reading a few posts on bimmerforums from other members with the same one, it's a snap to go on the car too. It was definitely worth spending an extra $300 for a cast iron one because now I can have peace of mind it'll support the weight of the turbo. There was one hitch though which got me a bit upset, the place I ordered the manifold from is out of wastegate downpipes for 3 weeks! ACK! I also contacted someone who I know helped engineer this manifold, and same story. I guess the wastegate pipe kit is a hot seller :(
To make things worse SPA almost forces you to buy their pipe kit because they use a 30mm flange on the manifold rather than a 35/38mm one you would expect. Luckily it seems a VW Beetle exhaust flange fits, and even more surprising, a VW beetle J-pipe cut in half and swivled a bit almost makes an identical part to the original SPA one. HMMMMM i thought, so I purchased one to attempt to make my own in the meantime. What have I got to lose right? :)

Progress begins as soon as the rain stops....I dont have a garage to work in :(

Miguel
06-03-2006, 09:45 PM
how about some pics of the car to refresh our memories?

djcontra
06-06-2006, 03:13 AM
how about some pics of the car to refresh our memories?

ok ok ok, I managed to swipe my digital camera from my sister this evening so I'll take some pics (she's always got the camera cause of her porn business lol). Really should take some pics with the rims on....reason they're not on the car while I drive is cause the front bumper needs a bit of trimming so it doesn't rub against the wheels. Just been a bit lazy so that's been on the back burner hehe.

For now here's some more pics of the turbo and manifold. I picked up the hardware today to do the intercooler install so I might attempt to do that tomorrow or wednesday. Just depends on which day I need to help my buddy pick up his civic with it's new B16a install ;)
(I am desiging the turbo for that at the same time too! *par-t* )

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60349

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60350

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60351

djcontra
06-06-2006, 06:40 AM
I'm almost embarassed to show these pics. I'll bring a tri-pod tomorrow night so I can do some real shots without the flash. (I absolutely cringe at using flash :( )

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60357&stc=1&d=1149586799

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60358&stc=1&d=1149586805

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=60359&stc=1&d=1149586811

BMW BMXer
06-06-2006, 08:02 AM
I forgot this car existed.

djcontra
06-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Posted some new pics here with the rear wheels installed. Guess I'll be doing the fender mods 100% for sure now :D

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72870

ZiMMie
09-14-2006, 12:50 AM
any updates Adam?

jeremy
09-14-2006, 08:22 AM
word!!!!!

mellobudd
09-27-2006, 11:05 PM
what happened to this project?

djcontra
10-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Oh, the car's finished, however I probably won't be posting pics any time soon (no time right now) but you'll probably see her out on the roads until first snowfall.
I've pretty much stopped frequenting this forum since some of the the more recent members seem to have very different point of views than my own and have ruined my liking for the forum. I really wish I could express myself without all the hate that gets thrown in; Some people just need to learn to shut up and stay quiet if they haven't got anything positive to say. I may show up at some meets but that's about it (BUT NO RACING OMFG TSK! TSK!), sorry guys.

You can close this thread thanks! *wave*

Quack
10-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Adam if you do come out to the meets give me a PM

Clarence

Jim .E.
10-03-2006, 02:31 AM
Oh, the car's finished, however I probably won't be posting pics any time soon (no time right now) but you'll probably see her out on the roads until first snowfall.
I've pretty much stopped frequenting this forum since some of the the more recent members seem to have very different point of views than my own and have ruined my liking for the forum. I really wish I could express myself without all the hate that gets thrown in; Some people just need to learn to shut up and stay quiet if they haven't got anything positive to say. I may show up at some meets but that's about it (BUT NO RACING OMFG TSK! TSK!), sorry guys.

You can close this thread thanks! *wave*

pfft Adam atleast put a pic of the finished product in your msn display so i can see it :P

PedroBMW
10-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Damn man, I don't know you, or live near you (windsor) but I've been pumped to see the rest of the progression since I first saw this thread so long ago. Reconsider mang, keep posting for all us guys who don't post much and **** the haters. plz plz plz *shiner* :D

SpoolinS6
10-04-2006, 09:33 PM
contra id like to see the finished product man shes comming along realy nicely whoaa :)

uber e36
10-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Goodluck on finishing the project!

OT:
1. Sister's porn business?
2. Shouldn't you stack your vinyl vertically?

jeremy
10-04-2006, 11:03 PM
hey man.. i don't know what happened..but i would really like to see the car completed... e-mail me if don't wanna post it.. thanks..

canningjeremy@hotmail.com

maxima_'90
10-06-2006, 01:41 AM
**** haterz! lol, they're just jealous of your car!! I just saw this thread and read most of it, I'd love to see the finished product. I bet it turned out amazing.

PedroBMW
10-06-2006, 08:46 PM
looks like hes not gonna post anymore. I guess ill make one last plee. Come on man, pretty pleaaaaaase :D :D I'm plannin to turbo my e36 and I want to do up my own kit sorta like what you did. Would love to see someone elses finished product.

djcontra
10-15-2006, 11:51 AM
okokok teaser :D

Sound Clip (http://www.adamkalicak.com/titan/Contra-Flyby.mp3)

With the supercharger on... :P

VSanj
10-16-2006, 10:31 AM
sounds sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!*th-up*

maxima_'90
10-23-2006, 05:23 PM
SPOOOOG!!! Wow, any pictures of it completed?

djcontra
11-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi,
It's a sad sad day as I am now forced to sell the car. I ended up cracking the bumper for the 2nd time since I had it painted due to toronto's wonderful streets, so alas, I can't justify spending anymore money to fix it, even if it's only $500 for a new bumper from Rieger. So in the end, I must do what I hoped I'd never have to do and sell my car. I'll hopefully begin dismantling it this coming month or early january as I just purchased my 2nd home which this time has a garage, but I'm not fully moved in yet. Expect some really amazing parts to be for sale though! (Turbo kit, super kit, ltfw+m5 clutch kit, etc etc etc...all performance stuff)

In the meantime, a new toy has been brought home to replace the bmw. Unfortunately it's not a bimmer, but rather a 2003 Nissan 350Z. It will be my first Japanese car I've ever owned, but I'm hoping that installing a greddy twin snail kit I ordered will help me miss my bimmer less *th-up*

PedroBMW
11-13-2006, 08:09 PM
I'll be interested in some parts, particularly that SPA manifold.

PedroBMW
11-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Its sad to hear your selling man, good luck eith the new ride. Care to post a couple pics or vids of the turbo kit and rest of the car before u get rid of it??

Also I'll be interested in some parts, particularly that SPA manifold.

thinair
11-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Post a list of what you're dismantalling. I hear Pedro is interested in the SPA manifold.

PedroBMW
11-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Post a list of what you're dismantalling. I hear Pedro is interested in the SPA manifold.

i know, i know i accidently double posted, thanks for pointing it out u jerk :P :)

SpoolinS6
11-17-2006, 12:07 AM
how much would u sell the charger for?

Jim .E.
11-18-2006, 02:13 AM
damn Adam. gl with the new house and the Fairlady :P knowing you, ull do more then just the twin snails