PDA

View Full Version : can e36's drift?

arto155
02-16-2004, 10:37 PM
I know ive seen some m3's drift but has anyone heard of anyone setting up there 328's or 325's so they are driftable. Thanks

thinair
02-17-2004, 12:20 AM
They're pretty easy to drift, they are rear wheel drive after all.

If you really want to drift just disconnect the front swaybar, still rear swaybar and spring, increase the front camber, basically set your car up to oversteer.

Watch the second Maxbimmer auto-x video, you'll see me at the end doing some 'drifting'. Short lived though, I can actually hold a drift pretty long, but not as smooth as i'd like.

It's not the car (to a point), it's the driver. I can drift my 90hp pickup pretty decently too (on wet pavement :))

Mystikal
02-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Yeah, it's just the physics of rear wheel drive. Anything with the back wheels powering can get sideways.

BTW, Nelson, your slide through the cones in that video was insane. :eek:

arto155
02-17-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by thinair
They're pretty easy to drift, they are rear wheel drive after all.

If you really want to drift just disconnect the front swaybar, still rear swaybar and spring, increase the front camber, basically set your car up to oversteer.

Watch the second Maxbimmer auto-x video, you'll see me at the end doing some 'drifting'. Short lived though, I can actually hold a drift pretty long, but not as smooth as i'd like.

It's not the car (to a point), it's the driver. I can drift my 90hp pickup pretty decently too (on wet pavement :))
Where can u watch the video??

Phazer
02-17-2004, 06:01 AM
Yip, they drift pretty well, its' a RWD car ;)
Almost any car can be drifted to some extend, be it FWD, AWD or RWD.
As far as I know the longest drift recorded is held by a guy in a Subaru. He stopped drifting, cause he ran out of fuel ;)
FWD use the handbrake to start a drift and then control it, or as you enter a corner turn slightly to the opposite direction and then yank the steering wheel back into the corner and full throttle, your back end is bound to come out in a big way.

thinair
02-17-2004, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by arto155
Where can u watch the video??

Maxbimmer Videos (http://www.maxbimmer.com/videos)

Gizmo
02-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Any E36 can drift, even my 316i can drift easily. Its down to the driver's ability. You can do the Scandanavian flick to drift it or come into the corner in 2nd, change to 1st, tail comes out and floor it, control the drift with your gas pedal. Its pretty easy once shown.

Here's my 316i drifting at an Auto X event:

Gizmo
02-17-2004, 05:32 PM
E36 316i with 80whp drifting

thinair
02-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Gizmo
E36 316i with 80whp drifting

*th-up*
Good job man, Scandinavian Flicks are the only way I can get my truck to drift, I have to do it in 2nd gear, and do a quick stab at the clutch to break traction at the rear wheels, or quickly get off the gas then floor it to break traction, not really the best option for the drivetrain though. In snow I just get off the clutch in 2nd with the engine at eidle. I hate not having LSD on my truck...*mumble*

With my car I can either Scandinavian Flick, or just step on the gas.

Here is me with my car, short slide, all I could think about was my tires so I didn't want to hold it long.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/thinairbikes/slide.mpg
Right click and 'save as'

MP328
02-17-2004, 09:28 PM
i always figured it's way easier to do it with an LSD then with an open differential.

i never had mine drifting just the usual 1 sec fishtailing

Phazer
02-19-2004, 01:26 PM
Me drifting in my '99 323i at a AutoX on the Zwartkops airbase field.