View Full Version : Engine Swap to M50
02-16-2004, 04:00 AM
Hi Team- Hope someone has some Knowledge.
I have a 1989 325i Motorsport. I'm have been offered a 94 M50 325i motor and I don't know anyone here in New Zealand who has done the conversion.
How much fabrication work is required or does the motor slot straight in with some minor radiator and induction changes.
The M50 motor has an Auto transmission but I want to keep with my 5 Speed manual box- Can this be done. Very hard to get manual box's from E36 models down this way.
Any and all help or advice would be more than appreciated.
02-16-2004, 04:09 AM
you can use your stock rad and tranny.....you will need to change your oil pan, pick up, dipstick, motor mounts,headers,brake booster,comp,wirring harness,modify your tranny mounts,modify your gear selector, this is just off the top of my head....there is quite a bit of this and that involved....
02-16-2004, 04:09 AM
i have a parts list somewhere......i'll find it for ya
02-16-2004, 04:15 AM
here is a basic list off some other site......i'm to tired to fvck around right now ...
E30 M50 ENGINE CONV PARTS LIST
1. E30 88' radiator, i used the e36 unit with the lower mounts raised
2. E30 88' radiator over flow tank
3. E30 M20 fan, poss. w/clutch
4. E28 533i motor mounts w/ 5mm spacers or e28 m5 mounts with out spacers
5. E34 throttle cable
6. E21 brake booster w/ mod.shaft, to 15mm or 325IX/e32 735 without mod to the shaft
7. E34 M5 or 25mm brake master clyninder w/ additional brake line used for the 325ix boooster
or a e32 735i with the modded 320i booster
8. E30 325 trans Xmember
9. E28 m5 or two 320i trans mounts/ wich are cheaper
10. E30 M3 driveshaft or i used the front of the e36 mated to the rear of my e30 M3 have it rebalanced
11. E30 diff. w/ 3:25 ratio or E28 533i w/ 3:25 lsd
12. E30 318 ecu mount
13. E34 oil pan
14. E34 oil pickup
15. E36 m3 exhaust manifold
16. M50 radiator hoses
17. E36 M3 Motronic
18. OBDI intake manifold
19. OBDI throttle body boot
20. E36 alloy mounting arms
21. OBDI wiring harness DO NOT BUY silver label “413” motronic, it has EWS (security),
it can only put into original chassis
22. the engine harness and the ECU are all E36 M3.
02-16-2004, 04:19 AM
You the man Jer.......... I seriously need to do this swap already
02-16-2004, 04:24 AM
isnt maxbimmer so helpful?? :D
02-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Some clarifications from Jeremy's list:
- Don't worry too much if you get an EWS ecu, you'll just have to get an EWS disabling chip from Turner or Eurosport.
- If you're using your stock tranny you also use your stock driveshaft.
- I've never heard of a 735 booster / MC being used - I thought that they went with the 540/740 ones. I went with the iX booster / M5 master cylinder so I have no first hand knowledge either way.
vBulletin® v3.8.1, Copyright ©2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.