PDA

View Full Version : Single wiper conversion

SebSter
02-16-2004, 01:22 AM
How easy is it to do? and how much will the parts cost? I really like how it looks on e30s and if its not too much ill prolly get it done sometime soon

jeremy
02-16-2004, 01:52 AM
you can buy a kit on ebay for around 200 U.S

OR

my mechanic said you can convert it yourself by chainging the linkage on the stock unit. not sure how to do it

Soldo
02-16-2004, 02:00 AM
BMPD.com has a single wiper conversion kit for the E30's, but its DAMN PRICEY!
I'd do it, a proper single wiper covers more surface area than a dual wiper one does!

jeremy
02-16-2004, 02:04 AM
single wiper kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33657&item=2459447043)

single wiper kit 2 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33657&item=2459447222)

felixthecat
02-16-2004, 02:25 AM
if you want info on doing it yourself,ill help you out,dont pay more than 50 bucks for it,you can do it yourself for about 1$you just cut the arm going to the wiper(not the arm on the motor,this works but burns the motor out quickly)add 1/2 inch piece in between the cut,and thats it.thats all youd be buying anyway!
a reworked arm!not worth a 180$ us is it?if so i'll go to the scrapyard buy them all spend 5 mins on them and sell them!
place your orders fellas!

AndreNY
02-16-2004, 02:31 AM
whatever you do DO NOT i repeat DO NOT try to make a custom mono wiper because it's gonna look like $hit. Your best bet is to buy a BONRATH which is around $270 US, and just install it. That's exactly what i did, but installation is a BIATCH it took me around 3 hours to get the old arm out and to put the new one in, a mechanic will cahrge you at least $150-200 o replae it, so try to do it yourself. Borath is a great wiper you can adjust it in any position you want, and it cleans much better and much faster then when i had both wipers

felixthecat
02-16-2004, 02:41 AM
fck,ill make it,install it and guarantee it for fckn free,just pay for my gas.it would just hurt me to much too see somebody pay 200+dollars for that,john hubbert has an e-30 with about 50 grand into it,and he still made his own!couldn't justify it.we've both had ours in for about 1year with no problems.dont break down man!*no-no*

AndreNY
02-16-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by felixthecat
fck,ill make it,install it and guarantee it for fckn free,just pay for my gas.it would just hurt me to much too see somebody pay 200+dollars for that,john hubbert has an e-30 with about 50 grand into it,and he still made his own!couldn't justify it.we've both had ours in for about 1year with no problems.dont break down man!*no-no*

go ahead its your car you can do whatever u want, im just saying it's gonna look like SHIT

SebSter
02-16-2004, 05:03 AM
:confused: ..hmm what to do..

toffa182
02-16-2004, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by felixthecat

way to go!!!

Originally posted by AndreNY
go ahead its your car you can do whatever u want, im just saying it's gonna look like SHIT

go here http://www.autopower.se/galleri/bilder/1070_1.jpg and tell what looks shit about that. it's my brother's car, home made single wiper and he can adjust it in any position on the windshield. the only thing that's gonna look like shit is your wallet, after spending 200+ on a five dollar job.

i'm making my own too. i say pay felix to make it if you don't wanna do it yourself.

SebSter
02-16-2004, 05:51 AM
i can probably do it myself im pretty handy, just let me know what parts i need to buy and how to adjust the motor... i figure it shouldnt be too hard, just reconnect the wiper on the middle wiper hinge right? but wouldnt the range of motion cover only half the windshield? what else needs to be done so that it does a full 180 degree turn?

toffa182
02-16-2004, 05:59 AM
if you add that 1/2" it will automatically prolong the wiper's effective wiping area. it can't make a full 180 but somewhere between 170 and 180 is just fine. where do you want it to be "resting"?

felixthecat
02-16-2004, 09:25 AM
i'll draw you up a diagram explaining everything soon,i need to get another autocad prog,(mine expired yesterday!)it's really simple,no moving any arms or anything ,just add that half inch to the arm,and you're done(you have to cover the place where the other arm used to stick out of with a black plastic cap)thats it!

felixthecat
02-16-2004, 09:28 AM
you can rest it on either side....i have mine on the drivers side,john has his on the pass side....your choice!

felixthecat
02-16-2004, 09:44 AM
heres johns car...

AndreNY
02-16-2004, 12:48 PM
listen bro you have a nice car, if you do it. do it the right way. BONRATH, the self made one is never gonna look like that, and plus on a Bonrath the arm is much Thicker, and the arm stays straight as the wiper

6piston
02-16-2004, 02:48 PM
here's the argument

Felix's kit is Cheap but you need to cut and mod the assembly but the wiper's arm is stock and it's not straight...

Andre's costs but comes in a kit with a new straight and thick wiper arm, doesn't require cutting and modding..

they are actually 2 different kit.

so it's your choice cos you're paying for different things.

but here's a pic of andre's,
http://www.adriamotors.com/mycar/22.jpg

here's felixes,

toffa182
02-16-2004, 03:23 PM
regarding the wiper arm. if you don't want to use the original, bent one like felix, you can just go to the junkyard and buy one off an old mercedes or whatever.

everyone has their own solution, i'm totally cool with that. but when a new kit costs such a ridiculous amount of money it's just not on the top of my list. i mean you can get lots of other stuff for that kind of money.

BMW BMXer
02-16-2004, 03:24 PM
If i were to do it id rather use felix since I cant justify the cost of Bornath or whatever.

BMW_M52_M20
02-16-2004, 04:02 PM
The mono wiper blade kits are on ebay right now for 180$ american. Includes a 21" blade and new wiper arm.........Made by bosch, I wouldn't cheese out on this one, it will never look as good or clear the window the same way.
A nice upgrade for the e30's, it looks awsome!
Jay

AndreNY
02-16-2004, 05:50 PM
all im saying is if your gonna do it do it the right way. Yes a BONRATH system is alot of money but in the end it pays back. I just wish i didnt buy mine in so much hurry, otherwise i would have gotten the AC Scnitzer one, which has a spoiler and a 2 piece arm

http://www.m-technik.com/ebay/Einarmwischer1.jpg
http://www.m-technik.com/ebay/Einarmwischer3.jpg

SebSter
02-16-2004, 06:03 PM
if i had the money i would get the kit.. but theres no way i can justify 300dollars (cad) for it, especially when there are more important things that my car needs in that price range

.. im wondering, why not just buy a thicker wiper arm... place it vertical on the middle wiper pivot.. and just tinker with the motor so that it does a close to 180degree pivot ... get what i mean? it would sit the same as on Andre's car (and look the same provided i get a similar wiper arm).. the only difficulty would be to increase the range of motion from half the windshield, to cover the full thing

toffa182
02-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by SebSter
.. im wondering, why not just buy a thicker wiper arm... place it vertical on the middle wiper pivot.. and just tinker with the motor so that it does a close to 180degree pivot ...

that's exactly what we're talking about ;)

by extending one of the arms by half an inch or whatever (you can't just tinker with the motor itself, it's the rest of the mechanical part that's needs to be tinkered with), the wiper gets an almost 180 degree motion.

then you just have to change it's resting position to wherever you want.

Albertae30
02-16-2004, 07:20 PM
ok also i am person that is getting into fabrication and frankly speaking how hard woould it be to honestly make a wiper arm they don't look that hard. i bet i could make a thick one maybe i will try this.

felixthecat
02-16-2004, 07:57 PM
i'll make this easy for every body.....if you buy the kit,your getting a fancier looking mechanism than stock,but if you measured yours,it would be the same,just missing that 1/2 inch. you can do anything with the fabbed kit,you could do with thestore bought one(wiper in the middle,either side,full 180)it basically comes down to what kinda guy are you?a builder or a buyer?...........for that kinda money,i could never justify it.nobody's making that kinda money off me for something that simple!

felixthecat
02-16-2004, 08:02 PM
i actually heated one of my wiper arms up and bent it strait,easy stuff!

felixthecat
02-16-2004, 08:05 PM
anybody wants help making one this spring,i'll throuh my mig in my bimmer,and come and help you,no prob.............

SebSter
02-16-2004, 08:25 PM
I think I'd be interested in that, we'll talk in the springtime, thx for the help

and Andre, thx to u too, honestly if I had the money and was trying to make my car really clean and nice I'd buy the kit... but for 300$ theres a lot of other things that my car needs fixed up first... its no show car yet.. but i totally understand ur point

AndreNY
02-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by SebSter
I think I'd be interested in that, we'll talk in the springtime, thx for the help

and Andre, thx to u too, honestly if I had the money and was trying to make my car really clean and nice I'd buy the kit... but for 300$ theres a lot of other things that my car needs fixed up first... its no show car yet.. but i totally understand ur point

i understand *th-up*

lvan
02-17-2004, 12:37 AM
nice and clean is when u leave it stock. I totally agree with Andre,do it the right way or dont bother

bmwm5lover
02-17-2004, 02:22 AM
i was attempting doing it, but it didnt quite work out. felixthecat, im interested in getitng mine done to. LMK.

felixthecat
02-17-2004, 02:52 AM
id be glad to help!need some warmer weather though...
i went to drive down to toronto to meet someone from max tonite,
got on the highway and my rad froze up!just because the roads are clear doesn't mean it's spring i guess!.......

BMWE30
02-17-2004, 11:21 PM
Thats one of the few things I miss about my MB 190E. (The single wiper) :( ...I may attempt it on the BMW with spare parts when it gets warmer so I dont mess it up.

felixthecat
02-17-2004, 11:52 PM
tell em' how it is john!

BimmerKris
02-18-2004, 01:42 AM
I did my own wiper conversion simply by adding about 1/2 inch to the arm coming off of the motor. It is a real pain in the ass to get at. If you go extend it as much as you can before it binds on the rod, it will cover the whole winshield. Plus it's free. Just have to get a 21 inch wiper