PDA

View Full Version : H.I.D. Guru's, your help PLEASE

Soldo
02-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Alright, heres the situation, last night, i was downtown, on my way to a club, and i see this nice E36 328is (anyone from here?), drive by, pretty stock, except for one thing, He had HID's on the STOCK E36 headlights. No it was NOT those cheap XZENON blubs you get a pacific mall, these were genuine HID's, not EXTREMELY BLUE, probably around 4300-4500 K. It looked very similar to the Xenons the E39's came with in 97-00.

Anyways, what my question is, IS THIS POSSIBLE? Did he have E39 headlights IN the stock E36 housing, how can this be done. If anyone can help it would be MUCH appreciated, because THIS is the main reason i want to buy ellipsoids, just to get HID's eventually!

P.S. The light was VERY nicely distributed, which is why i think that the actual lights, came from the E39!

Thanks in advance guys!
*wiggle*

Quack
02-15-2004, 04:55 PM
he probally got a aftermarket H.I.D. kit like from xenondepot or something,

EMPOWERD
02-15-2004, 06:12 PM
aftermarket HID kits come with adapters to fit any kind of light housing you have (H1, 9006 etc...) Pay $550 U.S. for the kit and you too can have HID's.

Soldo
02-15-2004, 06:40 PM
GEE........THANKS RANDY!
:rolleyes:
hehehehe, seriously, thanks, but is there any way i can make my own kit, without spending that much cash!?

For example, if i were to pick up a 97 XENON kit from a E39, could i retrofit it to my headlights?

Secondly, i can make em like......6000k if i'd like to right?
And what kind of kit is this specificaly?!

Jon@Bimmersport
02-15-2004, 06:49 PM
yea u can fit it, u need the bulb rebased to fit your housing though....DJCONTRA did this on his sedan with stock lights pm him

Soldo
02-15-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm gonna PM him now, Thanks jon!

Anyone know a place that sells these kits locally, and whats a good company that does these, i think i've seen a few of these at pacific mall and they just LOOK cheap/crap!

Quack
02-15-2004, 07:15 PM
www.xenondepot.com

R_JAY
02-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Soldo, check your pm please

Soldo
02-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all the help so far guys!

I just need to find a pic now of a US Spec headlight with like 6000k xenons and i'll die a happy man!

R_JAY
02-15-2004, 07:59 PM
I heard the light will be all over the place with the stock headlights. I say you forget about the HID and just get the ellipsoids:) You'll be amazed how bright these things are.

Soldo
02-15-2004, 08:03 PM
I KNOW how the ellipsoids are, but i'd MUCH rather have HID's than ELLIPSOIDS!
I have an HID FETISH!

R_JAY
02-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
I KNOW how the ellipsoids are, but i'd MUCH rather have HID's than ELLIPSOIDS!
I have an HID FETISH! Yeah, but it's better to have both. Don't throw away your money just yet cause I have a deal for you. I'll pm you the details now.

Mystikal
02-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Yeah man, for the love of everybody on the road get Ellipsoids first. HID's in US assemblies are worthless, and will likely blind people.

BMW_7
02-15-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by R_JAY
I heard the light will be all over the place with the stock headlights. I say you forget about the HID and just get the ellipsoids:) You'll be amazed how bright these things are.

I agree. Soldo you will want ellipsoids in the end. And aren't your existing lights so scuffed and scrached?

Soldo
02-16-2004, 12:05 AM
Not my headlights now aren't too bad, and i just MIGHT pick up some ellipsoids, hehehe!

3-Series
02-16-2004, 02:02 AM
FYI, autowerk sells a 5000k kit for $375 US.

thinair
02-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Personally, given the choice, I'd rather have halogen bulbs in an ellipsoid, then an HID in a US spec assembly. The US spec lights really do suck.

The most ideal combination is to get the ellipsoids with HID's.

If you were to dremel/butcher fit the e39 into the US spec housing, it'd still suck, plastic lenses suck, period.

If you want the HID look, which by the way you sound is all you really want, not the lighting quality or the safety, just get some Osram Silvervisions. They look HID, at less the $100.

Soldo
02-16-2004, 12:08 PM
No i actually do want proper light output as well!
and i know that its a HUGE difference between ellipsoids and US spec lights. i just meant given the choice between HID's or ELLIPSOIDS i'd rather want HID's, and i REFUSE to purchase FAKE hid lights!

djcontra
02-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Soldo, my suggestion is pickup a rebased kit from global premier. The quality is good, and the price is fair. I buy all my rebased bulbs from them...

http://www.globalpremier.com/

Check for their ebay auctions first though, because sometimes prices are slashed in half.

theblue
02-16-2004, 02:49 PM
if you don't get the the ellipsoids then you will "splash" light all over the place and be a hazzard to other motorist plus risk getting a ticket. One of the major reason I did a headlight swap was to get a housing that was projection based so that I could go with HIDs. Plus HIDs look so much cooler when in a projection housing. You will regret it if you don't get the housing first, they are not that much money for your car.

R_JAY
02-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Djcontra, will this kit fit the E36?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36476&item=2460299857

djcontra
02-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Since you bought ellipsoids, yep, it'll fit.
I have the same bulbs myself.

theblue
02-16-2004, 06:17 PM
I also recommend syating away from cheap coated bulbs like those... the coating to make them look more blue cuts down on lighting. Also remember that when you put an HID in a projector housing it adds 2000K of appearant color to the bulb. I encourage you to get a nice set of 4000K hids with a set of projection housings. there is a difference between the bulbs for a projection and reflector housings...

if you're gonna spend money on this, spend the little extra and do it right.

thinair
02-16-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by theblue
Also remember that when you put an HID in a projector housing it adds 2000K of appearant color to the bulb. I encourage you to get a nice set of 4000K hids with a set of projection housings. there is a difference between the bulbs for a projection and reflector housings...

How do you figure? Unless the ellipsoid/projector is tinted blue the color output should be the same.

If that were the case even halogen bulbs would have HID like coloring.

djcontra
02-17-2004, 05:09 AM
Even if the blue coating decreases the lumen output, it's still way brighter than halogen.
If you want a blue look without the coating you need to go 8000k, but there is even less lumen output than the 6000k ones, so why bother :)

Mitch555
02-17-2004, 08:32 PM
When I put on my angel eyes (with projector headlights) It made a HUGE difference in lighting up the road compared to my stock lights. I too wanted to get real Xenon's but now that I have seen how the lighting has improved A LOT with my new headlights(H1 bulbs) I'm gonna save my $. They are bright!!