PDA

View Full Version : Painting E30

BMWE30
02-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Hey guys...
When I bought my car it needed passenger side body work. Pullable dents mostly. On closer visual inspection when I got home, I noticed the clear coat is very faded in spots and in many spots is chipping off. Pinstriping is a mess, and the BMW should not look so disgusting. I want to paint the car when it gets warmer out...I have some painting experience and can do a good job, but I want to compeltely change the color from Brongzit-Beige to another color such as black or blue metallic. I know masking well and the engine and trunk compartment coating makes it alot easier to paint without worrying about the bays. Anyway...what do I do for the door sills? I dont want to paint over the vehicle info stickers or anything....and I need some feedback on the whole painting idea. Thanks in advance.:confused:

Slowered318
02-14-2004, 05:01 PM
you can mask off thoes stickers.. that what I did..

If your doing it yourself it's still going to be easyer to take off the doors, hood, trunk lid, gas door, trim, side windows and paint them seperatly.. cause if you doing a color change you don't want show it too badly.

Pull the bumpers off and everything you can.. then you'll also be able to fix any rust you find and not have it bleed through the new paint.

BladeRunner
02-14-2004, 06:07 PM
be sure to get the rear tailights, emblems, bumpers, and what ever else rust will get by. I learned this when I got my car repainted a while back. payed 600 for a 300-400 job. they sand blasted my car and didn't paint some spots the spots they did paint they placed tape on and pull the paint off. pictures could explain better. in short if get car repainted don't go to a general public shop like macco or peachauto unless you know they'll do a good job. i want my paint to be done professionaly but my parents said no, look what going cheap gets you...

SebSter
02-16-2004, 02:08 AM
on the same topic, i need new paint just on my hood, roof, and trunk... how much do u think it will cost me? and any good shop reccomendations? (within 1/2 hr of the gta)

Boris The Blade
02-16-2004, 07:11 AM
I am also in the middle of prepping my car for paint. I'm going from Burgandy to 1 of the possible 3 colors... Black, Imola Red, White... I still dont know yet. I also have a question, I'll be purchasing a body kit soon from Eurostyle and I was just wondering if I should put the kit on and then paint the whole car or one peice at a time. I'm worried about matching the color from one peice to the next.

thanks

Johnny

p.s. what do you guys think of Candy Apple Red?

BMWE30
02-17-2004, 04:37 AM
I will be doing all the paint work myself. I have some experience doing it... and I dont want to do it piece by piece. Boris what size are those rims? You look like you have some room in those wells...lol im going to get some 16's when i get my bodywork done and my car painted. I need to straighten the rear out first...I think I need a new diff....anyway ...its damn cold here...so I cant do anything yet...just gathering ideas.

Boris The Blade
02-18-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by BMWE30
I will be doing all the paint work myself. I have some experience doing it... and I dont want to do it piece by piece. Boris what size are those rims? You look like you have some room in those wells...lol im going to get some 16's when i get my bodywork done and my car painted. I need to straighten the rear out first...I think I need a new diff....anyway ...its damn cold here...so I cant do anything yet...just gathering ideas.

Hey Vin,

I have 17" rims wrapped in 215/40/17 all season Nitto's

I know the car looks funny, its because its sitting on the stock shock and springs. When I get my bodykit from Eurostyle I'll be able to determine how low I want to go.

Damn, I'm looking at the pic of my car now... lol its insanely too high, it acutally looks like :puke: CRAP!!! :D lol I cant wait until my exterior is done so I can tackle my interior.

p.s. :confused: Does anyone know if they make Black headliners, if so how much?

Thanks
John

BladeRunner
02-19-2004, 12:38 AM
^^

Boris The Blade
02-20-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by BMWE30

MikesJo
02-25-2004, 09:44 AM
My 318is has a black headliner...

felixthecat
02-25-2004, 10:36 AM
everthought about primer/clear!lol....you can go lower than the suspension would even allow with phils kit
^thats about my fender gap on 15's with phils kit,lol
as for installing and then painting,thats definetly the way to go,altough the kit looks very simple to put on....you'll be so pissed off at how much of your paint job you screwed up,that you'll have to paint it again....trust me on that one......

BMWE30
02-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Okay im ready to paint. I need help with a few things. How should I paint...like what do I do for sunroof area (i dont want to paint it shut or paint the gasket, and the side mouldings. If i take them off and bondo the holes, will they look good like that one pic i saw on here who had it done before paint, or put the moldings back on. How do I get them off anyway? Also, the pinstriping and bumpers and stuff...what do I do there? Thanks for help in advance!

Boris The Blade
02-26-2004, 05:29 AM
for moldings: see pic.

as far as sunroof, i guess you can tape up the gasket.

pinstripe, peel and us goof off to remove glue.

hope this helps alittle

good luck!!*th-up*