PDA

View Full Version : I want to remove my tint

Autotechnica
02-14-2004, 03:32 PM
What's the best way to remove my tint? It was professionally installed previously on my car before I purchased it. It's not a spray, it's just stuck on, but it's stuck on really hard. I want some opinions before I attempt it on my own and make a mess of things.

I'm removing only the front because it's way too dark. I can't see a thing in the night.

Thanks,

Bry

Soldo
02-14-2004, 05:24 PM
hmmmmmmmm, what about just swapping windows with me?!
or someone else for that matter!

Autotechnica
02-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
hmmmmmmmm, what about just swapping windows with me?!
or someone else for that matter!

wtf? That would be 100 times more work. Last time I removed the window arms it frustrated the hell out of me. Reinstalling the glass on the rails is also a pain in the ass. Very difficult to aline.

Bry

thinair
02-14-2004, 05:30 PM
A little off-topic Bryan, have you been to the track with tinted windows? Did you get hassled?

My tip, open your door, spray your window with WD-40, and set it on fire.;)

Autotechnica
02-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by thinair
A little off-topic Bryan, have you been to the track with tinted windows? Did you get hassled?

My tip, open your door, spray your window with WD-40, and set it on fire.;)

Wow... great idea Nelson! Maybe you can demonstrate it on your windows first :P

I haven't tracked this particular car yet. I've tracked my '92 318 but it had very very light tint (only 30%). No hassles on that car. I've auto-x'd my '94 318 obviously, but I didn't know that tinted windows were a concern at the track. I don't really care about tint or how "cool" my car looks, so I really want better visability, so removing the tint is a must. I'm surprized cops haven't stopped me for it yet. It's like 80% tint. A week ago my mechanic drove my car into the garage. I couldn't see a damn thing. The whole car was black and it was real sunny outside too.

Bry

app
02-14-2004, 08:12 PM
There is an edge you can always start at. Start from an edge and work your way in. Usually if it was put on well, it can almost peel off in a sheet.

I used adhesive remover from shoppers drugmart (you'll have a ton of sticky glue after you remove the tint. I also used a razor blade scrapper. That started enough so I could peel most of it.

You're screwed with the rear window though. Reason is this: You have to use a razor and get in between all the defrost lines. Because if you feel the tint, it will peel the defrost. Now, I was really damn careful trying to remove my tint and my rear defroster didn't work. Now I don't know if you can buy just a rear defroster (all those black lines) or if you need a whole new rear window.

I hope this helps you out. I did this on my nissan. The bimmer doesn't have tint on it currently.

Jase
02-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Call a tint shop. I heard that oven cleaner will work. But the back window my be something you should get a professional to do. Unless you dont care about defrost.Razor blades can scratch the glass aswell.

koncise
02-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I'm surprized cops haven't stopped me for it yet. It's like 80% tint.Bry

do u mean 20% ? the percentage represents how much light is let through the tint... so 80% would be VERY light.

3-Series
02-14-2004, 09:14 PM
to remove window tint, you should line the tinited side of the window with a black trash bag and spray amonia on tint. Tape the egdes of the back so that it forms a seal. After around 30 minutes to an hour, the adhesive will be undone and you can remove the tint with a razor scraper.

beammer12000
02-14-2004, 09:33 PM
thats true the best way to take the tint of is start at a corner and peel it slowly then use a razor to get the glue off. you will also need water with soap and spry it on the window before you start so it soaks in to the tint or a heat gun to soften it up. or i can do it for $30 some work involved. so p.m me.

Autotechnica
02-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks for everyone's help.

Koncise, the other way around then. 20% now and 70% before.

Anyways, I only want to remove the front tint, not the rear. So the defrost lines won't be a problem. I'll try the razor blade first and see if I can just peel it off. If not, I'll use the amonia.

Where the heck can I buy just amonia?

Thanks,

Bryan

gotkabab
02-14-2004, 10:03 PM
u can get amonia at any hardware store...If i were u i'd leave the tint. It looks tight on a black bimmer...

Jase
02-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Either way he can always put a light factory light tint on it later

crazyvadim
02-14-2004, 11:53 PM
I never have a car without a window tint,i even get my windshield tinted......i just cant stand people grillin me like i got a dick on my forehead.Sometimes people look at the car and then look at me and give me this "hater" look......so annoyin!

Euro_E30
02-15-2004, 12:01 AM
i took the tint off mine....just start at a corner and use a blower dryer or something that blows hot air and when the corner starts to peel a little just rip it off quickly cuz if u do it slow it leaves glue on the window. good luck

app
02-15-2004, 12:27 AM
Is it really noticeable if you get your windshield tinted 50%?

Autotechnica
02-15-2004, 02:37 PM
I don't think you guys realize how dark my tint is..

I've been complimented numerous times on my tint and people ask me if it's legal. Personally, I seriously doubt it's legal. Often I drive with the windows down because I can't see a damn thing, not even out the side mirrors. I have to roll the windows down just to park, even in the daylight! Also, on the highway if I can't see your headlights, then you're not there. It's too dangerous. And if I'm going to track my car, visability is key.

Anyways, I thought it was illegal to tint your front windows? I'm not positive about this, but I thought it was only legal to tint the rear. If you look at a mini van the rear windows are pitch black, but the front's are completely clear. It's so the cops can see the drivers right?

This is what it looks like in the daylight, imagine what it looks like at night! The visibility from the inside is equally as bad.

thanks,

Bry

koncise
02-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Anyways, I thought it was illegal to tint your front windows? I'm not positive about this, but I thought it was only legal to tint the rear. If you look at a mini van the rear windows are pitch black, but the front's are completely clear. It's so the cops can see the drivers right?

This is what it looks like in the daylight, imagine what it looks like at night! The visibility from the inside is equally as bad.

thanks,

Bry

It's legal to tint your front-side windows, and there's no exact law in Ontario as to how dark it can be. It's up to the cop if he thinks its too dark.

And if the visibility is the same from the inside as it is from the outside (from that pic u posted), then somethings wrong with the tint. Mine's pretty dark and I dont have any troubles seeeing outside.. even at night.

app
02-15-2004, 04:59 PM
I believe the legal limits are 35% on driver/passenger windows, and anything else can be as dark as you want. Windshield cannot be tinted either. Usually anything darker than 20% I found to be too dark, and usually attracted attention from John Q. Law.

koncise
02-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by app
I believe the legal limits are 35% on driver/passenger windows

Misconception. For almost all provinces, you're right. Ontario, however, has no specified legal limit. It's cops discretion. If he thinks he cant identify objects inside the car, he can ticket you.

AlpWhitE46
02-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by koncise
Misconception. For almost all provinces, you're right. Ontario, however, has no specified legal limit. It's cops discretion. If he thinks he cant identify objects inside the car, he can ticket you.

I don't know really but how come all the cars that come stock with the tints only have the rear windows and the back window only tinted..i heard from many people that its illegal to tint the front and driver / passenger windows.

koncise
02-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by AlpWhitE46
I don't know really but how come all the cars that come stock with the tints only have the rear windows and the back window only tinted..i heard from many people that its illegal to tint the front and driver / passenger windows.

Well I'm sure they are many reasons.

1. I dont think cars are customly made for Ontario, so all tint laws have to be recognized ... (could be wrong)

2. lots of ppl dont like dark tint in the front, as u can see from this thread.

3. well thats all i have :P

But i looked it up online and asked the guy at tint king before doing my car, and both sources confirm what i've been saying. Cops discretion in ontario.

AlpWhitE46
02-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Well I'm sure they are many reasons.

1. I dont think cars are customly made for Ontario, so all tint laws have to be recognized ... (could be wrong)

2. lots of ppl dont like dark tint in the front, as u can see from this thread.

3. well thats all i have :P

But i looked it up online and asked the guy at tint king before doing my car, and both sources confirm what i've been saying. Cops discretion in ontario.

Yeah thats cool, i agree with your reasons..plus so many cars have them at the front, i think theyd take it off if they were getting ticketed :confused:

niko_gt
02-15-2004, 06:46 PM
its cops discretion, i was pulled over for it, cop said he couldnt see a thing, (must hvae been the angle he was lookin at) he said he doesnt care if its 10% or 90% if he cant see thru the front windows he can ticket you. i got lucky tho, the backwindows u can make them solid black if u want it doesnt matter

app
02-16-2004, 02:34 AM

Thanks! I never knew that. :)

thinair
02-16-2004, 07:48 AM
For the back windows, any window behind the driver, side or rear, you can practically paint the glass black. For the windows to the side of the driver, as previously mentioned, it's at the cops discretion. The front windshield, there is a certain amount of area that has to be pretty much clear. The only factory coatings I've ever seen on the front windows is the gold UV coating on some Caddies, Lincons. I've never heard of tinting the windshield.

Autotechnica
02-21-2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys, I'm finally done.

I removed the tint with no problems. It just peeled right off. Some little peices got stuck in the corners but it was fairly easy. The hardest part was removing the glue. After this, I never want to have to remove tint ever again!

I used nail polish remover and it worked faily well. The glue was so thick! The polish remover worked great on the glue. However, rubbing the glue off with a towel was very time consuming. Using a Razor as some of you have suggested to remove the glue does not work. It only scratches the glass and makes a mess of things. All in all I'm very happy with the results, I can finally see while driving in the night. And I need to be able to see, I've got a heavy foot ;)

Thanks for all your help guys,

Bry