PDA

View Full Version : Insurance cancelled with Modded cars?

thinair
02-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Two of my friends just got their insurance cancelled for having modded cars.

A Honda Civic coupe, and a MII VW Golf with a VR6 conversion.
The guy with the Civic when to renew his insurance with an appraisal and they cancelled him.

This happen to anyone else yet?

One of the insurance companies was State Farm.

SickFinga
02-13-2004, 09:14 PM
this shit is getting out of hand, we gotta do something

thinair
02-13-2004, 09:25 PM
There are others, read the main page of the Toronto Suburu Club (http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/)
and this forum
http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=402d40a6085cffff;act=SF;f=25

Mikester
02-13-2004, 09:33 PM
so they checked out his car before renewing the policy?

thinair
02-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Mikester
so they checked out his car before renewing the policy?

I don't have all the details regarding the VW owner yet, but hte Civic owner brought in an appraisal to cover his rims, body kit and such and they cancelled him.

Mikester
02-13-2004, 09:51 PM
yea obviously if you come with a civic saying you got mods and stuff, theyre gonna put on the computer: street racer. and youre done lol

thinair
02-13-2004, 09:58 PM
yea obviously if you come with a civic saying you got mods and stuff, theyre gonna put on the computer: street racer. and youre done lol

What is the difference if I went there with my BMW, or a Mustang, or a Porsche, it's modded.

The general rule for a lot of companies is if the car has more then $1500 in mods (which is nothing), you're not covered. $1500 is a set of crappy rims and tires.

King Luis
02-13-2004, 10:04 PM
we need to fight back
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=311148

Mikester
02-13-2004, 10:06 PM
because people mod cheap cars so they can go FAST... some people go buy more expensive cars, cause they want it for the name.

plus when you drive a more expensive car, i think youd drive more carefully, right?

MorningCruiser
02-13-2004, 10:07 PM
Allstate is very good about mods...

This is in experience of offroad vehicles and modded Fieros. My jeep was appraised at $43,000 and it's covered for that, but the thing is I can't get a cent more than that (but, this lowers your insurance since you can't claim for more). They call me once a year to have it appraised, and adjust the value accordingly, but my rates never go up.

Try giving them a call... However, they're VERY anal about legality of everything... That's the huge issue with most insurance companies, your car has to be inspected on a regular basis to make sure everything is DOT and everything...

Jon@Bimmersport
02-13-2004, 10:22 PM
because people mod cheap cars so they can go FAST... some people go buy more expensive cars, cause they want it for the name.

plus when you drive a more expensive car, i think youd drive more carefully, right?

ummm, dont u remember M3NTALM3? :P lol

this is stupid, thats it im running with temp plates forever! lol

thinair
02-13-2004, 10:25 PM

Not everyone. My cousin for example mods her auto civic si, not to go fast, but for looks, and as a hobby, she does it because she likes it, not to race.

Then you look at someone like Randy (sorry to use you as an example man), he bought a Porsche and is modding the hell out of it, I don't think he's doing it for hte name, I know he's doing it for the speed, the rush, etc, and because he also loves to drive the car and it's his hobby.

That's the problem with the insurance companies, they think everyone is out to street race and kill themselves (thanks F&F).

lvan
02-13-2004, 10:40 PM
I got a Pesrion friends and his dad is 50. For his 1993 Voyager caravan he was paying 118 per month.Just copule days ago he got new increase of policy which is $279.
He has his van for more the a year and now he will be paying $279/month just for basic. He is with ING direct.
These guys deserve to get beaten up as hell.

lvan
02-13-2004, 10:52 PM
I wanted to say Persian. One more Croatian guy I know he has 1987stangand ING told him like 130 a month after he got mail and stating that he has to pay 250 a month and he is like 55 and all that for basic coverage. Those guys are cheaters. He had nice Hajduk logo haha when ever i saw him I was like take it off You ustasa hahah .Some Croats are characters like Soldo.

betmen
02-13-2004, 10:53 PM
too bad in the end,we have to play by their rules,c uz we cant do shit, insurence companies run the world, and we are people who cant affrod an office in one insurence building :@

Jase
02-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Things can be done but it is up to us to get signatures and give them to the mp's. Let the politicians make amendments to the laws.Bitching cures nothing, action does.

dtthiaga
02-13-2004, 11:11 PM

I don't see the logic here. You mod an 87 e30 and a 2001 Civic, the civic is far more expensive (current value) car than the e30!

If this is true about the insurance company, then the same would be true for anyone with a modified BMW (new or old).

This really sucks. I guess the sleeper look is the way to go; all engine mods, and tighter suspension (minimal drops) with some nice wheels.

finale36
02-13-2004, 11:29 PM
the insurance for our 2004 volvo v40 is 30% cheaper than the insruance on my 1999 318is. please stop banging up your bimmers

HIM
02-13-2004, 11:57 PM
I hear a lot of bad things about State Farm. I think when they had a section about this in the cars section of Toronto Star state farm was mentioned the most as one of the insurance companies who cancelles for modded cars

Mikester
02-14-2004, 12:24 AM
yea, but youve seen majority of the people who modify civics

koncise
02-14-2004, 12:48 AM
good thing i dont insure anything but the car :D (rims & system are really the only things of value)

Sickbimmer
02-14-2004, 12:50 AM
It took me 2 months to get my insurance back from StateFarm.

I tolld them that my supercharger was a Dinan, and that it was an option back in the day.

They told me that if you and rims, intake or any other bolt-on that they would cancel your insurance*thmbsdwn*

HIM
02-14-2004, 12:51 AM
Yea, but if you don't insure anything you can;t claim for it if you get in an accident, which is retarded cause you risk getting no insurance if you insure your aftermarket parts... damn insruance companys

Mystikal
02-14-2004, 01:10 AM
There was a story of a guy with a Neon that got his insurance cancelled on the spot. He had bought lowering springs and shocks when his stock ones failed, and they noticed it and cut him right there. After A LOT of probing, he finally got a response as to why such a simple modification is grounds to end his policy. The answer? Lowering it makes it more aerodynaic, therefore raising the vehicles' top speed. :huh?:

It's all such BS. The guy was like 40-something with kids too, he doesn't even know anything about racing and admits that.

koncise
02-14-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by HIM
Yea, but if you don't insure anything you can;t claim for it if you get in an accident, which is retarded cause you risk getting no insurance if you insure your aftermarket parts... damn insruance companys

i know, im taking a chance not insuring them.... but im also saving money

life's a gamble :)

thinair
02-14-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal
The answer? Lowering it makes it more aerodynaic, therefore raising the vehicles' top speed. :huh?:

The funny part about that is that the Neon's top speed is limited by the ECU, not by aerodynamics (like most newer cars). Even if it did raise the top speed, I don't think that lowering your car an inch would make much difference. Neon's are as aerodynamic as e30's, probably slightly more.:D j/k guys!!

M3ntal Kev
02-14-2004, 01:57 AM
The insurance companies rate the car based on its crash testing. They argue that if you change the suspension in a car, you have effectively changed the car's dynamics. Since their ratings are based on crash tests of stock cars, they have no data on how the car reacts in a crash once lowered. Without the data, the insurance companies claim they cannot determine what risk of crashing or damage severity due to a crash would occur.

Movies like the F&F have done nothing but paint a bad picture for the scene. That's a stereotype that's going to be difficult to shake.

modifications = reckless attitude *thmbsdwn*

ROBM3
02-14-2004, 02:02 AM
KRG insurance !

-No hassles !

-No Problems ! By far the best company to deal with !

Give them a try !

*th-up*

lvan
02-14-2004, 02:55 AM
pass on the # Rob?

BladeRunner
02-14-2004, 03:32 AM
you guys are missing the bigger picture the insurance companies prob. record the number of accidents according to make and model. Simiply put Hondas, VWs, Acuras, etc. are the car of choice for modding. Add in the fact that most of the people who drive these cars are less than or equal to 21 years of age. Furthermore, most of the people that drive the cars speed, i hate to admit it but the same goes for BMW and Mercedes Benz and Mustang drivers.

As for the lowering thing I can understand that. A car that is lowered is not in its impact zone thereby resulting in the insurance company paying more money to fix damage. Lastly, most lowered cars especially in the import scene don't handle well. I've seen plenty of lowered Hondas and 50% of them rock and sway when driven - not exactly road worthy nor safe. Lastly, why don't the insurance companies crack down on these Jeep, Truck and SUV drivers. They have a completely different impact zone than any BMW other than the X5 and maybe the X3. Most of these vehicles, near me, are 2-3ft higher than stock some go as high as 4-5ft higher. Imagine that hitting any stock car can we say runover the top.

Just my (16^1)+1 cent, someone brought up a similar subject a while back.

BladeRunner
02-14-2004, 03:34 AM
Oh yeah F&F and the rip offs didn't help much. when that video came out street racing doubled and so did the number of imports on the road. It would be nice if one day they stopped making them. The first one was ok but the last... *sleep* :puke:

When will hollywood make videos worth buying and seeing in the movies. Hey I'm gonna have to start buying overseas movies soon if this trend continues.

ROBM3
02-14-2004, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by lvan
pass on the # Rob?

KRG Insurance Brokers Inc 416-636-4544

555 Wilson Avenue,
North York, ON
M3H 5Y6

Speak with Angela !

Jim .E.
02-14-2004, 04:05 AM
I got a Pesrion friends and his dad is 50. For his 1993 Voyager caravan he was paying 118 per month.Just copule days ago he got new increase of policy which is $279.
He has his van for more the a year and now he will be paying $279/month just for basic. He is with ING direct.

why why why!!!! i posted like a million times on this site and ill post it again

IF YOU ARE INSURED BY ING RUN, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN THEY WILL CON YOU!!!!

tell your friend to switch to RBC thas what i did...ING wanted me to pay f*ckin $7500 a year and RBC said they'll do it for $5800...still a lot of money but its because of two insurance claims within 6 months (my car accident and my moms)

p.s. i know its your friend thats insured by them im jus trying to stress the point across

Jim .E.
02-14-2004, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
I've seen plenty of lowered Hondas and 50% of them rock and sway when driven - not exactly road worthy nor safe

even though i dont want to admit it, but you jus summed up how my car handles when i take a turn over 25km/h, it starts to feel like im in a hovercraft all of a sudden :D

its a 1994 Honda Accord

biotek
02-14-2004, 04:56 AM
:moon: Insurance in Ontario

blackshark
02-14-2004, 05:14 AM

those are mutherfukers man they screw me up big time

MorningCruiser
02-14-2004, 12:48 PM
I've had one insurance claim filed against me, though it wasn't my fault (the calgary police determined this front like 10 witnesses).

This is relating to collision zones. My jeep is actually SAFER in it's current zone than it was in it's factory zone. Why? It's HIGHER, unless I get bonked from the side VERY VERY hard, I'm in a better position. Lowering a vehicle has the opposite effect, it puts the driver in a more centered position on minivans/trucks/suvs.

When I had the one claim filed against me, it was a ricer who had cut me off very sharply, smacked my wheel very hard, got pushed around and pulled the bumper of my jeep onto the roof of his civic (was actually freaking hilarious looking, looked like my jeep was trying to mate the civic from the side). We were going about 50km/h when he cut me off, so the force of hitting my jeep wasn't THAT high.

When my insurance company got my damage complaint they laughed and said that it was one of the cheapest damages they'd ever seen. What did I require? A new wheel, and two new leaf springs... The civic? A writeoff... The police determined that if he had hit me with a stock height vehicle, my jeep would've just been pushed out of the way because it would have made more contact with the body of my jeep rather than just the suspension. Worse for me, better for little mister ricer.

So I suppose your lowered vehicle point applies to cars, because last I checked, a slammed H2's hood is still roof height of a lowered civic... It doesn't really apply to the SUVs, as I clearly pointed out just now (the H2 remark).

Now, if I had a stock height jeep, and he had hit me? Guarenteed write off... :) Would have pushed me over into a tree...

Regardless, I figure insurance companies are out to screw people over.

I just got an insurance increase but insurance is frozen in Alberta... bizzare? I think not... Time to call a lawyer or something :(

lvan
02-15-2004, 06:59 AM
Rob Thanx man. And ING ... ahhhhhh I will try to help my dude I think he is switching with TD .

bart320i
02-15-2004, 07:11 PM
I wanted to say Persian. One more Croatian guy I know he has 1987stangand ING told him like 130 a month after he got mail and stating that he has to pay 250 a month and he is like 55 and all that for basic coverage. Those guys are cheaters. He had nice Hajduk logo haha when ever i saw him I was like take it off You ustasa hahah .Some Croats are characters like Soldo.

dude I got raped by ING the same way. We agreed on $380/month, when I got my paper in the mail they said they had to adjust it to $550/month. I told them stick that policy up the ass and cancelled.

chromius
02-16-2004, 02:22 PM
I have been with Belair Direct insurance for quite a while now, and they are really good, $175 a month and thats with liability and colision, I've been really lucky though no tickets and 5 warnings.:D . I got rear ended a while back, and the person who rear ended me, their insurance company claimed a 50/50, I told Belair that there was no way that was gonna come off my insurance coverage cuz then my rates would go up, and they ended up fighting it in court for me. The woman that hit me ended up having to pay it out of her own pocket, and it was expensive cuz the shop had to remold my fiberglass bodykit. But my rates never went up.*th-up*

PS. Belair knows about all my mods and have never said anything, and rates stayed the same.

A~G
02-16-2004, 06:23 PM
WTF. if your insurance company doesn't want to insure the mods... thats their choice.. but they shouldn't cancel on u. They can just charge you insurance on ur car... and the mods could be off record (not covered).

So if you get into an accident ur mods won't be covered, but ur car will. thatz a risk, but atleast u can drive legally .. Jeez. the system is so messed up, bunch of richass insurance companies stealing from the poor (me):(

MorningCruiser
02-16-2004, 08:06 PM
I think it's more if you don't tell them, because they don't want to have you sending claims for crap that they didn't know was on the car. And they have every right to cancel your insurance for having a modded street car. It's a fact that modded cars are more likely to be sped in, and drove recklessly in.