PDA

View Full Version : after market steering wheels

///MsAniTy
02-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Hey guys i heard if your car is equipped with an air bag and you install a momo steering without a air bag there is a chance the insurance companies can black label your car is this true?

Bigbore
02-12-2004, 11:18 PM
that may be true :( lately they are raping us BAD.

is there a momo wheel that take an air bag? did you see the new one, its got a bigger middle then normal, perhaps thats for an airbag

///MsAniTy
02-12-2004, 11:21 PM
i honestly dont know dude but i am pissed cuz i love my sexy wheel

Mitch555
02-13-2004, 03:13 AM
"Raid" steering wheels look alright. Plus they have an airbag.

WASABI
02-13-2004, 03:16 AM
Isn't it also illegal to replace wheels with airbags with ones without?

Jon@Bimmersport
02-13-2004, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by WASABI
Isn't it also illegal to replace wheels with airbags with ones without?

thats exactly wat he posted?

WASABI
02-13-2004, 03:26 AM
who ? he's asking about how insurance companies deal with it, no? :confused: *shiner*

///MsAniTy
02-13-2004, 03:27 AM
well i kno its illegal but cops dotn really say anything but i am askin bout insurance companies

ToBimer
02-13-2004, 04:58 AM
i would also like to know , im thinking of swaping mine for a momo

Quack
02-13-2004, 05:03 AM
you can do it, but if you get in a accident or if insurance finds out you're screwed, and by the way, your SRS light/Air Bag light will stay on

thinair
02-13-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by ///MsAniTy
well i kno its illegal but cops dotn really say anything but i am askin bout insurance companies

How do you know it's illegal?

I know for a fact that it is not a requirement to have airbags.

from the Transport Canada website
In Canada, it is not mandatory for air bags to be installed in vehicles; however, when they are, they must meet specific safety requirements....

Consumers can choose to have the air bags in their vehicle deactivated if they are, or a user of their vehicle is, in a risk group.

I've been pulled over a few times, only hassled once for the airbag and the cop gave up quickly, and he only noticed because my SRS light was on. Just pull the SRS bulb out, or turn your car off when you get pulled over so the cop doesn't noticed that red SRS light on. Less of a chance for the cop to mention it.

betmen
02-13-2004, 10:57 PM
its illegal???

damn, if i get pulled over i know ill get bullied by the cop, my steering wheel is TINY
havent seen one as small yet, but ****, im insured, so its all good

suicide
02-13-2004, 11:16 PM
well u are on the topic of aftermarket steering whells does anyone know of any compnaies that make them with airbags....

thanx

suicide

thinair
02-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by betmen
its illegal???

No, I just posted about stating that it's not illegal. Your insurance might give you a hard time though.

AlpWhitE46
02-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by thinair
No, I just posted about stating that it's not illegal. Your insurance might give you a hard time though.

Im not sure totally...i know they are Legal...but i heard so many times that if your car came EQUIPPED with an airbag..and you place a wheel without one its illegal...on the other hand if ur car doesen't come with an airbag..you can do whatever u want..

thinair
02-14-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by AlpWhitE46
Im not sure totally...i know they are Legal...but i heard so many times that if your car came EQUIPPED with an airbag..and you place a wheel without one its illegal...on the other hand if ur car doesen't come with an airbag..you can do whatever u want..

You can remove it or deactivate it if you feel it's 'unsafe'.

BimmerKaz
02-21-2004, 02:59 AM
According to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation it is perfectly legal to install a non-airbag equipped aftermarket steering wheel.

Go to http://192.75.156.68/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90h08_e.htm

for everything you ever wanted to know about the legalities of modding your car.

Oh and if you don't want your SRS light to come on just bridge the airbag connector with a 4ohm resistor. Simple as that, did it myself.

Kaz

HooliGaN*
02-21-2004, 03:14 AM
um the reason insurance companies
will give u a hard time
is the fact

they quote your car with its standard safety features in mind
that is why

Julian

hioctane
02-21-2004, 03:29 AM
I had some hassle from cops in mississauga re: my momo monte carlo wheel. Having the wheel was fine; however, they checked to see if the horn was operational (thank God that it was working). At the same time they hassled me for about 20 min. re: my ride drop and so-called improper tire wear. The ass also checked under the hood for a swap. I'd be careful with whatever major mods you do-you'll end up getting screwed.

lvan
02-21-2004, 04:59 AM
Hey guys i wonder if E30S come with an airbag? on drivers seat no for s ure.

SickFinga
02-21-2004, 05:21 AM
late e30s came with airbag, i think it was an option though