PDA

View Full Version : Engine Misfire question

Marecar
02-11-2004, 06:53 PM
My buddy has a problem with his 2000 328I

on a cold start engine will rev at 1000 RPM and all of a sudden it will rev up to 2000 and drop to 500 with out pressing the gas. while its going from 2000 to 500 all the lights go dim like the batery dies and it will stall and goes back up again, then does this all over again.
he hooked it up to a computer in a shop and it says cylinder5 missfirebut when he changes the sparkplug it does the same thing.
Any suggestions?
oh yea he took it to the bmw dealership and they say its all good.

MorningCruiser
02-11-2004, 06:55 PM
If BMW says it's all good either they're lying or it's true...

Has he tried changing spark plug wires?

Marecar
02-11-2004, 07:34 PM
It cant be good when the engine is going crazy !!!!! and theyr not lying eather cause when they checked it the checkengine light wasnt on.
I had a similar problem on my 2002. my problem ocurred only at start and when i shut it off and start again everything is fine and there is no check engine sign, and they told me the first time it was ok cause there was no check engine while it was in the shop.
he tried switching the cables and it still gave the same thing.

DbIiRrTdY
02-11-2004, 08:34 PM
did your o2 sensors get replaced recently?

djcontra
02-11-2004, 09:54 PM
It's probably either the ignition coil going bad, or the crank position sensor.
I had the same problem on my car, it would either feel like it's stumbling upon acceleration, or sometimes during driving, the car would just die for no reason.
I had to replace both because both items went bad at the same time on my car, but both can cause similar problems. If the car doesn't die, or stall on it's own, I'd blame the ignition coil first.

mpower1226
02-11-2004, 11:46 PM
it could be number of things but, two things that comes to my mind are ignition coil wires going bad and/or spark plug.

I had a similar experience and it was a spark plug being cracked.(cheap shit!!!) I changed rite away, the problem gone

Marecar
02-12-2004, 02:28 AM
thanks guys