PDA

View Full Version : Strange Noise...(real thread)

BMWE30
02-11-2004, 04:28 AM
Hey guys,
Sorry about the last post...it was posted on accident :(....anyway,
my car makes a strange noise and vibration...deep bassy sound when driving over 35- 40 mph and it gets louder when u let off gas...i cannot tell where the sound is coming from...seems like the rear but cant be sure...not much vibration in steering wheel , sometimes minor if any...also...it doesnt always do this...and when it does the car is usually warm. Any ideas on what it could be? It somtimes does it when put in gear too when warm...but not very bad and/or loud. Thanks in advance.

Slowered318
02-11-2004, 04:39 AM
did you check for any dead hookers rolling around in the trunk?

SebSter
02-11-2004, 06:36 AM
lol

Albertae30
02-11-2004, 06:38 AM
i have a similar prob in the summer when i take corners my car makes a bassy grinding sound from the rear checked wheel bearings and the rear end and nothing its all up to par then the winter comes don't hear a thing.

Miguel
02-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Slowered318
did you check for any dead hookers rolling around in the trunk?

Ya, if the noise kicks in when you go over bumps... you prolly got dead hooker problems.. common prob on older E30's and E38 750iLs

SickFinga
02-11-2004, 08:00 AM
hmmm I had this problem too.
It was my differential, i had to replace it.
Go to your mechanic, it can be serious. When my mechanic took it for a spin to check out whats wrong, rear end locked up, lucky him he was only doing 40km/h. If it was highway speeds, he would crash.

crazyvadim
02-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga
hmmm I had this problem too.
It was my differential, i had to replace it.
Go to your mechanic, it can be serious. When my mechanic took it for a spin to check out whats wrong, rear end locked up, lucky him he was only doing 40km/h. If it was highway speeds, he would crash.

I would have to agree,sounds like the differential or check your rear axle.

BMWE30
02-12-2004, 03:32 AM
Would a failing differential / rear end make the trans seem like its slipping in gear? Gear engagement is correct and firm...just seems to slip in gear when the gas is stepped on...could the diff make it seem like this?

crazyvadim
02-12-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by BMWE30
Would a failing differential / rear end make the trans seem like its slipping in gear? Gear engagement is correct and firm...just seems to slip in gear when the gas is stepped on...could the diff make it seem like this?

Where is the noise coming from?? Is it more from the rear end or the front?? Is your car automatic or manual??
Put the car on the lift and listen to where the noise is coming from.

BMWE30
02-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Its coming from the rear....the car is an auto. Also I hear some bassy thumps on hard take-off from a stop.

Digitalwave
02-14-2004, 05:55 PM
It sounds like it could be your guibo or center support bearing. Have them inspected.