PDA

View Full Version : it's getting cold... heater problem


sjinto
02-09-2004, 08:42 PM
my heater display has been sporadically shutting off and on.... the heater konks out whenever the display does... today it went off on my trip from brampton to downton t.o. BRRRR!.... no problems on the way back though?

any ideas on what it could be and what i should look for?

djcontra
02-10-2004, 01:11 PM
is it the heater that shuts off or the fan? does it work on the highest setting only? If so, then there is a resistor behind the control unit that has gone bad (common problem on e36).
If it's not that, then perhaps the control unit has a loose connection, or might be going bad. Let's just hope there's something loose and you can get it fixed fairly easily.

Also, if your windows are fogging up, or have an oily film on them, then your heater core is pooched.

sjinto
02-10-2004, 05:25 PM
thanks for the direction... i guess i can rule out the resistor problem as the heater doesn't work on the highest setting.... i'm hoping it's just a loose connection but i doubt it.... my ride is running close to 200,000 km... i guess it's time the "fun" begins*thmbsdwn*



Originally posted by djcontra
is it the heater that shuts off or the fan? does it work on the highest setting only? If so, then there is a resistor behind the control unit that has gone bad (common problem on e36).
If it's not that, then perhaps the control unit has a loose connection, or might be going bad. Let's just hope there's something loose and you can get it fixed fairly easily.

Also, if your windows are fogging up, or have an oily film on them, then your heater core is pooched.

Turkish
02-10-2004, 07:22 PM
sounds like you need to pull it out and have sniff around behind the switch mate!

JDub
02-11-2004, 02:11 AM
The same thing happened to me on the weekend. I turned on my heater and the display dimmed down. Came back on and then shut off. I was on my way to my mechanic when this happened so I got him to check it. It was my thermostat so I got it replaced and so far it's been ok.

Alwysfresh
02-12-2004, 03:24 AM
If the display is turning on and off on it's own it's probably heater control unit...same thing happened to me when I first bought my car. It's a pretty common problem on these things. I thought it happened again a few months ago so I got my old one rebuilt, but it turned out to be the final stage unit (the display stayed on this time, but the fan had a mind of its own). My bet is that it's one of the two. I'm trying to get rid of the rebuilt unit I have sitting here if you're interested...I'm in Mississauga if you want to drop by we can try it out to see if it fixes your problem. I paid $220 to get it rebuilt, so we can work out a better price than that. They're over $400 new from the dealer. Let me know (cell is 416-803-5725 if it's easier).

sjinto
02-21-2004, 03:01 PM
thanks for the advice guys....i'll have the thermostat checked out first... if my mechanic suggests there may be an issue with the control unit - i'll be in touch


Originally posted by Alwysfresh
If the display is turning on and off on it's own it's probably heater control unit...same thing happened to me when I first bought my car. It's a pretty common problem on these things. I thought it happened again a few months ago so I got my old one rebuilt, but it turned out to be the final stage unit (the display stayed on this time, but the fan had a mind of its own). My bet is that it's one of the two. I'm trying to get rid of the rebuilt unit I have sitting here if you're interested...I'm in Mississauga if you want to drop by we can try it out to see if it fixes your problem. I paid $220 to get it rebuilt, so we can work out a better price than that. They're over $400 new from the dealer. Let me know (cell is 416-803-5725 if it's easier).

sjinto
02-23-2004, 01:34 PM
who's your mechanic?..

Originally posted by JDub
The same thing happened to me on the weekend. I turned on my heater and the display dimmed down. Came back on and then shut off. I was on my way to my mechanic when this happened so I got him to check it. It was my thermostat so I got it replaced and so far it's been ok.

sjinto
02-25-2004, 05:36 PM
djcontra.... i read in one of your posts that you had your bad final stage resistor repaired...

where can i get that done?... i'm pretty sure that's the problem - the dealer sells a new resistor for $127 parts only

thanks for your help bro*th-up*

[QUOTE]Originally posted by djcontra
is it the heater that shuts off or the fan? does it work on the highest setting only? If so, then there is a resistor behind the control unit that has gone bad (common problem on e36).
If it's not that, then perhaps the control unit has a loose connection, or might be going bad. Let's just hope there's something loose and you can get it fixed fairly easily.

Also, if your windows are fogging up, or have an oily film on them, then your heater core is pooched. [/QUOTE

4life
02-25-2004, 07:21 PM
My blower was not working on mine a few weeks ago. The display was fine but no heat at any fan speed, tested some circuits and it turned out to be the final stage unit, took me about 1 hour to replace.

for the guy who's display dimmed and then his mechanic changed the thermostat, who is your mechanic, so that I NEVER bring my car there!!!!

djcontra
02-25-2004, 10:57 PM
sjinto: I sent you a pm :)

sjinto
02-26-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by djcontra
sjinto: I sent you a pm :)

got it *th-up*

JDub
02-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 4life
My blower was not working on mine a few weeks ago. The display was fine but no heat at any fan speed, tested some circuits and it turned out to be the final stage unit, took me about 1 hour to replace.

for the guy who's display dimmed and then his mechanic changed the thermostat, who is your mechanic, so that I NEVER bring my car there!!!!

Well, I knew I had to get the thermostat fixed since my engine temp guage wasn't going to the middle and that was the source of my heater not working. NO problems since.