PDA

View Full Version : OEM vs. Replica Taillights


koncise
02-09-2004, 09:16 PM
I promised myself this was one area I would buy OEM, and I still plan to. But since the savings are so ridiculous with the replica's, I thought I'd ask a few questions.

Here's a pair on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33716&item=2458983716

Its says " (97-98 E36 REQUIRES REWIRING TO AVOID "CHECK BRAKE LIGHTS" WARNING MESSAGE FROM ON-BOARD COMPUTER)".... Is it true that error only occurs on 97-98 cars with replicas? Cause that was 1 of my 2 concerns, but if its true thats good for me.

The other thing is looks.. how much of a difference is there? Do they look really cheap? or is it more of a thing that only bimmer enthusiasts would notice?

I think that covers everything....

Thanks

Cosmic 325i
02-09-2004, 09:33 PM
with the replicas you can see the red lens coming through the white lens when looing at them from an angle. they are noticable but i think im gonna get the replicas anyways because of the huge price difference...

Soldo
02-09-2004, 10:01 PM
DON'T DO IT!
Just get the OEM's man, trust me, its a BIG difference, not to everyone, but to you it will be!

koncise
02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
DON'T DO IT!
Just get the OEM's man, trust me, its a BIG difference, not to everyone, but to you it will be!

I should of put a disclaimer: Soldomatic, I already know what you'll say.



:)

BMW_7
02-10-2004, 12:05 AM
yea, soldo if you're such a OEM freak buy the ZKW's! :P

1BADBMR
02-10-2004, 01:53 AM
I have replicas & I am still kicking myself in the :moon: for buying them. I got it @ a real good price so I didn't really care. (But I do*mumble* )
The quality is not bad, but the thing that pisses me off is the "taillight failure" :mad:

Spend a bit more and get the real things, you'll be happy*th-up*

Soldo
02-10-2004, 02:08 AM
HA HA!
see, jackass!
i was right!
hehehe, god i love it!
Just get the OEM's man!
they're not THAT much more, i'm gonna suck it up, and get the damn ZKW's, so stop bein a pansy and do it OEM!

koncise
02-10-2004, 04:25 AM
Do any of you have really close-up pics of your replica taillights?

And soldo, $300 is THAT much more :P

Jon@Bimmersport
02-10-2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by 1BADBMR
I have replicas & I am still kicking myself in the :moon: for buying them. I got it @ a real good price so I didn't really care. (But I do*mumble* )
The quality is not bad, but the thing that pisses me off is the "taillight failure" :mad:

Spend a bit more and get the real things, you'll be happy*th-up*

i was wondering "why would he afford to buy the rears, but not the fronts?"

lol

koncise i might be able to hook u up with OEM stuff soon..for cheap too

SickFinga
02-10-2004, 05:47 AM
I got replicas, got em on my birthday from a buddy of mine.
They go for 170 bucks for the pair.

Would I recommend OEM taillights?
I dunno, i never had any problems with mine. Buy headlights OEM only.

koncise
02-10-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover
koncise i might be able to hook u up with OEM stuff soon..for cheap too

Nice, definitely let me know if or when you can.

koncise
02-10-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga
I got replicas, got em on my birthday from a buddy of mine.
They go for 170 bucks for the pair.

Would I recommend OEM taillights?
I dunno, i never had any problems with mine. Buy headlights OEM only.

Do you know which replicas they are? Or where they were bought from?

1BADBMR
02-10-2004, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by E46_lover
[B]i was wondering "why would he afford to buy the rears, but not the fronts?"

I guess I was just plain LAZY....This spring fo'sho

*th-up*

R_JAY
02-10-2004, 06:55 AM
These lights aren't that bad at all. I have them and i'm very happy with them but if I were to do it over again i'd get OEM.

djcontra
02-10-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm very happy with the look of my aftermarket tail lights. The only disappointment I had was the fitment of the bulbs. I had to shave some plastic to get the bulbs to twist in properly, but other than that 10 mins of work, I was very please with them. I can't see the red through the smoked areas either...
Oh yeah, mine also have check control as well. You have to cut a single piece of metal on the back to enable it, but since I dont use my OBC, I never bothered :)

WASABI
02-10-2004, 02:45 PM
I had replica ones, they're not bad, couple downsides, one, like djcontra mentioned (bulb sockets) and the other if you look closely where the clear and red merge, there's a hint of red showing in the clear area. Other than that, no tail light failure warning from the OBC.

koncise
02-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Wow, I'm surpised at all the fairly positivie reviews of the replica ones..... you guys are making my decision pretty tough.

But first I'll wait on Jon for a while and see if he comes through ;)

Desisuperman
02-10-2004, 11:30 PM
i'm debating ont he same thing myself. This price difference is huge so i was thinking of going with replicas myself from ebay

koncise
02-10-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Desisuperman
i'm debating ont he same thing myself. This price difference is huge so i was thinking of going with replicas myself from ebay

You wanna get them first and let me know how they are? :idea:

Soldo
02-10-2004, 11:50 PM
I guess I was just plain LAZY....This spring fo'sho

*th-up* [/B][/QUOTE]

I;m actually thinkin of possibly doing this to my car, have all the clears except the front, i dunno, but the orange sometimes look better, just the front corners though!

djcontra
02-11-2004, 12:15 AM
smoked is best! *th-up*

koncise
02-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by djcontra
smoked is best! *th-up*

Only looks good on darker cars.

Furious
02-11-2004, 05:09 AM
can anyone verify something for me. i bought OEM taillights from an online internet company that only deals with OEM parts. now there is no BMW emblem on them at all, but they tell me that if they arent sold at the dealership than its illegal to have the roundel on them. is this true??
my tails look OEM and the craftsmanship is damn well OEM, they are so good that even if they werent OEM id keep them, they look 5 times better than any aftermarket ones ive ever seen both on the outside and the backside.

koncise
02-11-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Furious325is
can anyone verify something for me. i bought OEM taillights from an online internet company that only deals with OEM parts. now there is no BMW emblem on them at all, but they tell me that if they arent sold at the dealership than its illegal to have the roundel on them. is this true??
my tails look OEM and the craftsmanship is damn well OEM, they are so good that even if they werent OEM id keep them, they look 5 times better than any aftermarket ones ive ever seen both on the outside and the backside.

do even the OEM ones have a bmw logo on them? Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldnt they do.

BTW, which website did you buy them from?

R_JAY
02-11-2004, 07:15 AM
The oem ones do have a BMW logo on them.

koncise
02-11-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by R_JAY
The oem ones do have a BMW logo on them.

oh, my bad.

R_JAY
02-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Koncise, ever thought about these?

SickFinga
02-11-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Furious325is
can anyone verify something for me. i bought OEM taillights from an online internet company that only deals with OEM parts. now there is no BMW emblem on them at all, but they tell me that if they arent sold at the dealership than its illegal to have the roundel on them. is this true??
my tails look OEM and the craftsmanship is damn well OEM, they are so good that even if they werent OEM id keep them, they look 5 times better than any aftermarket ones ive ever seen both on the outside and the backside.


You got fakes. Even sidemarkers got BMW logo on them.

Do you see red lens merging with clear when you look at them?

1BADBMR
02-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by R_JAY
Koncise, ever thought about these?

I like the way those look. Crystal right?

Desisuperman
02-11-2004, 04:13 PM
any idea then where we can get OEM clear tailights at a good price. I'm actually looking for those plus clear side markers and clear corners

koncise
02-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by R_JAY
Koncise, ever thought about these?

I dont think I've seen those before, but they look pretty nice. Which are they?

R_JAY
02-11-2004, 05:51 PM
They're Chrystal/Diamond cut.

koncise
02-11-2004, 05:58 PM
where can I find them?

R_JAY
02-11-2004, 06:03 PM
There should be alot of them on ebay. I don't know if these things will give a "tail light failure" since I don't know anyone that has them but I think they look pretty sweet and I was considering getting a set.

koncise
02-11-2004, 06:20 PM
yup, i found some, thanks... http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458788263&category=33716

they seem to go for quite a bit more than the normal replica ones though... I wish I could see some in person, on a car.

Furious
02-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
You got fakes. Even sidemarkers got BMW logo on them.

Do you see red lens merging with clear when you look at them?
actually no i dont, like i said they look pretty good. im still gonna keep them because i got a good deal through my sponsor on my site, but his distributor said that they were OEM.

ill ask again. maybe i can get more money back

WASABI
02-11-2004, 09:21 PM
I think I have the same Furious, no BMW stamp, but put the two side by side, you'll never notice the difference, except for the stamp. Mine are the from bekkers.com .I have heard of manufacturers making them not only for BMW, but for aftermarket distributors, sort of like ZKW and Bosch ?

mkgino
02-11-2004, 09:40 PM
OEM, I have seen aftermarket ones and I have never liked them. If anything, get OEM rears, because the front and sides are pretty much the same as BMW ones.

SickFinga
02-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Furious325is
actually no i dont, like i said they look pretty good. im still gonna keep them because i got a good deal through my sponsor on my site, but his distributor said that they were OEM.

ill ask again. maybe i can get more money back


They gave you BS already.
They told you that they can get in legal shit for selling taillights with BMW logo on them.
This is not true. They only way they will get in shit is that they are the manufatures of the taillights and they slap BMW logo on it.

Since BMW is the manufacturer for the taillights they all got BMW logo on them.

Unless there is an aftermarket company that makes it for them(like ZKW, BOSCH, HELLA etc.)
If there is no name on them, im pretty sure they are fakes.

koncise
02-11-2004, 10:34 PM
who cares about a little logo that no one sees anyway? If they're as good as you guys say, thats all that matters.

i checked that bekkers.com... still kinda pricey.. especially after shipping, brokerage, etc.

djcontra
02-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
Unless there is an aftermarket company that makes it for them(like ZKW, BOSCH, HELLA etc.)

This could very well be the case. The best thing to do is check the part # against a real OEM tail light's part#. It should be similar.

koncise
02-12-2004, 03:21 AM
http://www.procarparts.com/store-detail.asp?sku=BM9236%2D1167TLX

http://www.procarparts.com/store-detail.asp?sku=BM9236%2D1100TLX

I wonder how those are.... I got my front clears from that place (off ebay though)... the regular dont seem to have the red bleeding through the clear like u can see in pics of some replicas... but who knows if the pic is the exact same that u get

Furious
02-12-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by WASABI
I think I have the same Furious, no BMW stamp, but put the two side by side, you'll never notice the difference, except for the stamp. Mine are the from bekkers.com .I have heard of manufacturers making them not only for BMW, but for aftermarket distributors, sort of like ZKW and Bosch ?

mine are from bekkers too wasabi.