PDA

View Full Version : What's a good all season budget tire?

Autotechnica
02-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Looking to spend $150-$200CDN per tire. It's for my 17" motorsport wheels. I'm looking for 225/45/17.

No Hankooks ventus or Kumho's.

I've tried Yoko AVID H4's (no good, grips only when new, very unpredictable, side walls give out too quickly), Hankook Ventus plus (total crap, car runs wide all the time, even when tires are new, no grip), Conti-touring eco plus (good, predictable, may buy again)

New tires only, suggestions and personal experiences please!

For the time being I need a comprimise between comfort and track. I'm not a serious tracker yet so a set of decent tires will be all that's required. Tread life, tire noise and predictability are key.

Thanks,

Bryan

Jon@Bimmersport
02-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I've tried Yoko AVID H4's (no good, no grip, handles like crap), Hankook Ventus plus (total crap, car runs wide all the time, even when tires are new, no grip)

thats because they're all seasons...after driving the E30 with all seasons, i never felt safe TRYING to go a lil fast..even in a straight line lol

Autotechnica
02-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
thats because they're all seasons...after driving the E30 with all seasons, i never felt safe TRYING to go a lil fast..even in a straight line lol

That's pretty stupid. You don't need ZR rated tires to have grip. Hankook Ventus plus were like $260 each and rated ZR's and they handled worse than any other all season tire I've driven on.

A good all season tire will easily out perform a crappy ZR rated summer tire.

I've driven a 330ci 5 speed to the limits using the conti-touring eco plus tires and they grip quite well, very predictable. So how is it that you can't drive straight with your car with all season tires? Did you get motormaster tires?

Bry

Gamite
02-09-2004, 08:09 PM
why do you want all season? Get some nicer rubber. I dunno bout kumho's, mine wore down so fast. Maybe cuz of weight of my car? I dunno. But they were cheap, I'll give it that.

Autotechnica
02-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
why do you want all season? Get some nicer rubber. I dunno bout kumho's, mine wore down so fast. Maybe cuz of weight of my car? I dunno. But they were cheap, I'll give it that.

Tight budget. I've spent waaay too much money in the past few months.

Gamite
02-09-2004, 08:40 PM
I'll give you my old kumho's for free. the ones on the front.

jmalixi
02-09-2004, 08:51 PM
Sumitomo HTR+

Autotechnica
02-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
I'll give you my old kumho's for free. the ones on the front.

Thanks, but I've already got a set of bald Hankook's. Plus, I have a feeling 18" tires won't fit.. duh

Autotechnica
02-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by jmalixi
Sumitomo HTR+

price? Are those all seasons? Sounds like an expensive track tire.

Mystikal
02-09-2004, 09:41 PM
All-seasons are bad year round. And don't you have seperate winters? I don't understand why you would waste that wonderful suspension setup on no-seasons.

Here's what I recommend:

Yokohama ES100 - $112US

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_avs_es_100_ci2_l.jpg

Kumho Ecsta MX - $120US

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_mx_ci2_l.jpg

You can't go wrong with the ES100's, they are an all-around solid tire. The MX's are excellent too, nothing at all like the rest of the Kumho line. The MX's are a bit more hardcore, they will ride firmer and wear quicker than the ES100's, but there is always a compromise.

Quack
02-09-2004, 11:22 PM
I also recommand the Yokohama ES100, from some of my friends response, they think it's a great wet/dry tire, best bang for the buck

jmalixi
02-10-2004, 12:21 AM
price? Are those all seasons? Sounds like an expensive track tire.

Go to tirerack.com and get price and read reviews. Last time I was looking for one it was US$80 per tire. It's all seasons... that's what you're looking for, is it not?

jmalixi
02-10-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Quack
I also recommand the Yokohama ES100, from some of my friends response, they think it's a great wet/dry tire, best bang for the buck

I have ES100s and I guarantee you it's downright dangerous in the snow. Mine are 3 months old and I can't get up and down the driveway with them. I had to switch back to my 4 year old Dunlop SP2000s just so I can use my car every once in a while this past month.

Gamite
02-10-2004, 02:30 AM
He has winter tires. So don't worry bout that.

330DTM
02-10-2004, 02:52 AM
Haha, I don't understand why you hate Kumho tires that much. If you're on a budget they do the job and they perform better than All Seasons. I've ran them like 3 times in the auto-x last season and tread wear is still fine. They feel rock solid when I take them up to 200km/h, but now it feels wobbly because of my bent rim on the lip. I haven't tried any highspeed (100km/h+) tire screeching cornering, but how often do you drive that crazy in Toronto anyways.

Lastly, it's obvious that you won't use the Yoko ES100's in the snow. I don't get why people try using summer tires in the snow, especially when the level gets deep, you're only asking for trouble.

Autotechnica
02-10-2004, 03:03 AM
Thanks guys, ES100 seems to be a favorite. I'll check these out. How is the tread wear on the ES100's?

I don't like Kumho's because numerous people have complained about the uneven tire wear. I don't know if Gamite has this very same problem, but the outer edge of his tires are more worn than the inside. I've experienced similar issues with my Hankook Ventus plus tires (also Korean).

Anyways, I know people will think I'm being a hippocrate, but my theory is, Korean cars are bad, so Korean car parts must be equally as bad. If tires were made in China, I'd avoid them like the plague. Think about it, it doesn't matter what upgrades you do to the car, your entire car sits on tires and it makes the biggest difference as to whether the car grips or doesn't. I'd rather have a high quality tire I can trust that's all season rather than a low budget so called "performance" tire.

And yes, you can barely use all seasons in the snow, don't know why you would try to use summer tires in the snow?

I'm not kidding, my car handles better on 15" snow tires than it did before on the Hankook Ventus plus ZR rated tires which were 225/45/17.

Thanks for your opinions guys. Keep em comming!

Bry

Quack
02-10-2004, 03:05 AM
well the reasons why people use summer tires in the snow is:
they are morons
they are too cheap to buy winter tires
they are morons
don't know the difference between summer & winter tires
love the drifting feeling
have I mention they are morons

Autotechnica
02-10-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Quack
well the reasons why people use summer tires in the snow is:
they are morons
they are too cheap to buy winter tires
they are morons
don't know the difference between summer & winter tires
love the drifting feeling
have I mention they are morons

lol.. that works for me.

HooliGaN*
02-10-2004, 03:34 AM
how about falkens

im buying those for summer tires
there apparently well rated
as best bang for buck
im grabbing summers for 145 a piece 17"

Julian

Autotechnica
02-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by HooliGaN*
how about falkens

im buying those for summer tires
there apparently well rated
as best bang for buck
im grabbing summers for 145 a piece 17"

Julian

Hmmm, that's not bad. The only thing I've heard about Falken is that they make great track tires, just tread life is non-existent.

Autotechnica
02-10-2004, 03:45 AM
Wow, Sumitomo's are damn cheap. Are they any good?

I've been reading reviews in tirerack's website. Some people are seriously messed in the head. People are complaining about snow traction in the winter when they are using ZR rated tires. WTF. One guy with an STi is like, I bought these tires for the harsh winters here in Colorado, but these tires handle like crap in the snow. Duh.

I'd take the opinions of any of you BMW enthusiasts over the trackrack customers anyday.

Bry

thinair
02-10-2004, 06:54 AM
I run the ES100's, they're great as far as a budget performance tire goes. Good in the rain too. As far as wear, you've seen me drive at the auto-x's, they're wearing fine, not unevenly, and they're lasting longer then I thought they would have. Uneven tire wear is more often then not caused by a bad alignment or improper air pressure.

My next tire if I'm on a budget will be the MX's though if they make them in my size by then. Hopefully my the time I need new tires I'll have enough money for a spare set of wheels with Victoracers anyway.

WASABI
02-10-2004, 01:47 PM
You may also want to check out www.1010tires.com and www.tiretrends.com for prices and reviews. They also have cdn pricing.

Ian Sheppard
02-10-2004, 08:20 PM
[B]Thanks guys, ES100 seems to be a favorite. I'll check these out. How is the tread wear on the ES100's?

I'd also recommend the ES100, I've got them on the 325is. I used them daily and at 6 autocrosses, so they aren't wearing very well. I've got 7k on them and they are almost shot. I'd buy again for sure.

http://www.newfoundlandmotorsports.com/albums/album01/Ian2.jpg

Mystikal
02-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Ian, are those Ronal LS'? Niiiice. *th-up*

Autotechnica
02-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Ian Sheppard
I'd also recommend the ES100, I've got them on the 325is. I used them daily and at 6 autocrosses, so they aren't wearing very well. I've got 7k on them and they are almost shot. I'd buy again for sure.

http://www.newfoundlandmotorsports.com/albums/album01/Ian2.jpg

That's pretty much only one season. But then again, 6 auto-x's is quite a lot, I'm hoping they will last me 2-3 seasons with only a couple of track days a year. Do the ES100's make a decent set of lapping day track tires?

How much did you pay for the tires?

Thanks,

Bryan

thinair
02-11-2004, 07:05 AM
Do the ES100's make a decent set of lapping day track tires?

ES100's aren't marketed as track tires, they're budget high performance street tires. For their price they're great, but nothing compared to a Pilot Sport, an S03, a Dunlop SP Sport 9000, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, TS-1, P-Zero Rosso, or an AVS Sport.

Expect $200-220 per tire.

If I do get a set of track wheels I'm definately getting a set of TS-1's or S03's on my street wheels.

djcontra
02-12-2004, 10:20 PM
too lazy to read the thread, but whatever you do, do NOT waste your money on all-season tires. Instead, get yourself a nice set of 17" summer tires that work well in wet and dry, and then save up for some 15" winters for when it snows.