PDA

View Full Version : dirty rims!!!!

///MAC
02-08-2004, 01:55 AM
Hey does ne one know what the best type of rim cleaner is, i seem to have this black fried on dust on the inside part of my rim...Ive tried just soap and water but its not coming off...These are my summer rims too btw...

HIM
02-08-2004, 01:58 AM
I usually use Meguires stuff, just look for a purple clearish spray bottle

Justin e36
02-08-2004, 02:00 AM
best stuff to use is engine degreaser... very potent stuff.. let it sit on there... BUT don't let it get onto your brake parts including the sensor. just spray off and it'll be clean.

///MAC
02-08-2004, 02:01 AM
nice ill try that, i have the rims inside the house since its winter i just forgot to post it earlier
thanks justin ...

Mike

SickFinga
02-08-2004, 02:38 AM
Do NOT use engine degreaser on aluminum wheels.

mkgino
02-08-2004, 02:40 AM
use rim cleaner with a heavy duty hand scrub. Thats what I used

WhadUpp
02-08-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga
Do NOT use engine degreaser on aluminum wheels.

Agreed, those cleaners are too harsh for aluminum wheels and will eventually pit them. Degreaser are powerful and will take that stuff away but down the road will ruin the finish of your rims.

Ditto, just use something like Meguirs and that should work while being safe for your rims.

808BMW
02-08-2004, 03:45 AM
Toothbrush and toothpaste. It works on really stuck-on brake dust (i've tried) and hasn't hurt any finish I've tried it on. Anyone ever heard anything bad about toothpaste? If you have the time, that's what I recommend.

///MAC
02-08-2004, 04:31 AM
should i get with whitening LOL

Gianpaolo_E46
02-08-2004, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by HIM
I usually use Meguires stuff, just look for a purple clearish spray bottle

the meguires stuff is great, but depending on how dirty you might have to do it a few times and scrub also

sonic07
02-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by 808BMW
Toothbrush and toothpaste.

hmmm new idea .... and not to forget to rinse with listerine ...

crazyvadim
02-08-2004, 10:16 AM
I always use regular window cleaner like windex or something and i get a carwash everyday.

SpudBoy
02-08-2004, 02:52 PM
The key thing is not to let them get really bad in the first place.

Once they are clean and pristine I put on a couple coats of cheap turtle wax. The dreaded black dust wipes away easily with a dry shop towel. Meguire's works well and doesn't remove the wax but water works just as well with wax.

Again this must be done very often.*sad*

Justin e36
02-08-2004, 09:19 PM
as for degreaser... I have never heard about pitting on alloy's before. In fact, I've heard nothing but good things about using products like Simply Green (my engine/wheel degreaser of choice) on engine and rims. I've never had any problems before. In the spring time I Zaino the inside of the rims and WD40 my engine.. and from then-on a light spray of degreaser, and rinse off with the garden hose (not even high-pressure) and the rims shine clean everytime.)

Tire cleaners are separated into 2 categories.. the acid's and the non-acid's... the acidic ones are what they use in car washes and such... the least effort to clean the rims off, and give the best results. (not all degreasers are acidic, although most can be corrosive to plastics.) If you already have pitting in your rims, then the acid can eat away at the pitting, but not cause pitting on a finished clear-coated rim. The non-acidic cleaners (an aklaline solution) require more agitation and rubbing and must be left sitting for a while before agitating and rinsing off... these do not coat your rim, so you'll have to put some type of heat-intensive protectant on your rim afterwards to keep them clean.

Here's a pic after hosing down my rims.. they were BLACK before... (as they usually are after a couple weeks of summer driving) This is without ANY rubbing or even touching them during mid-summer. Even now in the winter if I hose em off, they'll look like this everytime... probably the easiest part of my car to keep clean. (my windows/glass being the most difficult.)

Other than once in a Spring, I never-ever physically touch my rims for the remainder of the year...

In either case, there are also rim cleaner packages you can buy which are 3 or 4 step... which include a wax in them as well. (Zymol Wheel Cleaning Kit comes to mind... which again, I've heard nothing but good things about.. do a search on it.)

If you still have small black spots inside your rim that refuse to come off you'll have to use a clay bar to clean that off.

If you have small scratches on your rims be sure to use a wheel polish.. (mother's clear coat wheel polish works well---a polymer based product designed for use on finished rims.)

Most of what I learned about car detailed is from the Europeans over at the Roadfly board... I noticed that a lot of people over here don't follow the same methods. *shrugs*

Do whatever works for you, and is easiest on your wallet. *wiggle*

///MAC
02-08-2004, 10:08 PM
ok i wash my rims during the summer jsut about every day
its the inside of the rim that is not being cleaned properly though, its almost like a paste of some sort
ne clues

Justin e36
02-08-2004, 10:15 PM
yep... that baked on crud washes right off for the remainder of the year once I Zaino it in the Spring...

SeRb
02-08-2004, 10:16 PM
hey would vim or whatever its called be a good idea to use on the rims?

im thinking the powder one and use a really fine brush
never tried anything like it
just wondering

SpikedLemon
02-08-2004, 10:31 PM
I used to have some Eagle1 cleaner that works awsome... but I"m out right now...

(it's a problem with white rims - they get dirty too fast)

BMWF1
02-09-2004, 01:07 AM
2 words

DUSTLESS BRAKES

i had to clean my rims like every other day, now its like every 2 weeks.