PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on 1989 325is

qimis
02-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Can I get some feedback for 1989 325is please ? :)

it's 190,000 kms, power everything, it's been repainted, mint condition, the sunroof kinda corky a bit ... are all E30 steering wheel a bit heavy when you're turning ?

Anything else I should check ? The mechanic will check the car on Monday, that'll be the last 10% that might change my mind. if everything goes fine ... then we'll have a new thread on Rides section *th-up*

Thanks

johnoz
02-07-2004, 02:59 PM
what do you mean by steering wheel heavy. check the ATF fluid reservoir, listen the steering wheel area for groaning noises. check the rack, squeeze the reack boots(if they are wet).

The steering wheel should not be heavy if the rack is OK.

qimis
02-07-2004, 04:17 PM
also it needs a new windshield, there's 2 options:

- get it from old E30 from a junk yard = $75 - $100
- get a new one = $275 - $300

i'm thinking to just get it from junk yard, because it's original from bmw, any comments are welcome :)

LukeE30IX
02-07-2004, 04:34 PM
My E30 was out of commission for a while. I was driving my moms minivan, and man that sucked. But i got my car back and i noticed that it is alot heavier to steer.

qimis
02-07-2004, 04:54 PM
the car hasn't been driven for a while also, might be the same prob. as yours

BladeRunner
02-07-2004, 09:33 PM
No the e30 steering is not heavy you guys are just WEAK!:D *th-up* j/k It is heavy when compared to the newere model cars that have computers and better pullies doing the job. Don't worry about the steering, it just help you to grow chest and put some hair on it. Beers will do the same thing from what I hear, could be a myth. Anyway, if the e30 steering was anylighter it wouldn't be to safe at high speeds, have you ever driven a Caprice or Custlass (I think)? These cars are well known for their light steering even when parked, now imagine that steering at HWY speeds or faster. You'll go to sweerve and next thing you know your facing traffic.

You said it's been recently painted, have you placed a magnet over the body to check for bundo or something similar. Also you could check the VINS and labels on the hood, front fenders, trunk (I think) and block to see if they are orignal or a BMW replacement. Did you check the trunk and floorpan for rust or signs of past leakage like water, brake or power steering fluid. Lastly, is the rear seat an original? If not might want to check under it to see if a rod or major bolt is missing. Some cars have like a rod or bolt under that seat that holds together like 25-75% of the car.

BladeRunner
02-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Almost forgot check the wheel, rotor and other thing for dents, rust or missing bolts. I would say check the transmission and final drive fluid, but on some cars if these fluids were never changed and you change them major problems occur.

Lil'Smoothie
02-07-2004, 09:44 PM
you'll get used to the heavy steering

e30 325is=money