PDA

View Full Version : e36 typical problems

King Luis
02-06-2004, 09:32 PM
i'm now thinking of getting a e36 instead of a e30 for some reasons...ie: newer..
anyways. i was wondering typical problems happen with the e36?
and what should be looked at so problems don't happen??
you know what i mean? thanks

R_JAY
02-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Just make sure you get one that has a service record but if you find one that you really like then make sure you have a mech like bimmersport check it out for you.
The only problems with these cars are things like crappy rads that break at the necks, ball joints, water pump and rust under the trunk gasket. Open the trunk and lift up the part of the gasket that runs along the rear bumper. If you see rust RUN AWAY! Early E36 have the subframe problem which is pretty pricy to fix if it fails. That's all I can think of now. Good luck*wave*

Turkish
02-10-2004, 04:25 PM
full bmw service history is a must! get one thats 97 or newer to get the newer model, window seals are a problem around all the rear windows but not expensive to sort! rear bushies need looking at as they do go, take it down to a bmw service place and get them to cheak it out first if in dout!

King Luis
02-10-2004, 06:06 PM
thanks guys
i still have lots of time before i end up buying a e30 or e36. i just need to know stuff like that sub frame problem and rust problems.
thanks

Turkish
02-10-2004, 06:57 PM
no rust problems on the 1997 or later models mate. *smoke*