PDA

View Full Version : Car theft attempt @ my house last night

bart320i
02-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Went to My Apartment last night. Came back @ 2am and my mom is up talking to the cops. My sister heard some knocking sounds so she turned on the lights in her room and saw two guys in my moms grand cherokee. My sister started screaming and they ran off. The passenger side lock is popped off and the ignition is almost ripped out but they didn't finish the job. No amatuers everything was done very clean.

SickFinga
02-06-2004, 06:30 PM
w0w
you are lucky
what year is your grand cherokee??
2000+ got chips in the keys, cant steal them

AndreNY
02-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
w0w
you are lucky

hehehe that's funny. remember you can steal ANY CAR, even a mercedes

bart320i
02-06-2004, 06:57 PM
no it's a 97. The funny thing is my sister ran outside with a kitchen knife after them

BigD
02-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Exactly. It just depends how badly you want to do it. I mean hell, just buy a ****ing tow truck, scope out the car you like (to know the parking patterns of the owner), hook it up and go home. Who's gonna even think something's wrong? The car broke down and they called a tow truck. Even if the owner shows up, you say you can't park here, I'm sorry I'm just doing my job, call this number to resolve the problem (give him some bogus number).

Hmm....I'm gonna go try this.

Originally posted by AndreNY

SickFinga
02-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by AndreNY

well I know that, but without a second key or a tow truck it is next to impossible to steal it.

AMG_POWER
02-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by bart320i
no it's a 97. The funny thing is my sister ran outside with a kitchen knife after them

ROFL sounds like it's better not to mess with your sister:):D *th-up*

bart320i
02-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by AMG_POWER
ROFL sounds like it's better not to mess with your sister:):D *th-up*

yeah my sister is pretty crazy when it comes to someone trying to **** around with our family. She's been in more cat fights than anyone i know

BLAGUSS
02-06-2004, 08:47 PM
bart320,I think your Bimmer is for sale. Dont leave your phone number if you are goin to put it in a add . Most peple leave their cell . The reason why I say this is: The look up your number backwards on 411.ca and they can find out where you live . I noticed many people with nice cars for sale dont leave their home number.

Justin e36
02-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga
w0w
you are lucky

chipped key doesn't mean anything. that's what they said about the Jetta's... but if you run a wire from the drivers doorlock to the trunk lock and apply a +15V charge, it will:

a) unlock the doors (not the trunk though)
b) pops the fuse in charge of central locking AND the ignition chip

I think this was resolved in 2002 or 2003 though.. not sure.

Also remember that any car which comes with a factory remote starter that this chip embedded in the ECU.. This tricks the computer into believing a key is in the ignition.

when you install a remote starter in the car you need a copy of the key then you have to do a "key wrap" and an "ignition wrap" this trick's the car into thinking the key is in the ignition, (it doesn't disable the transponder it just "tricks" it during start up.)

Bottom line... if they can disable your alarm and get into the car.. and quickly get to your ECU (which typically doesn't take too long for someone who knows what they're doing since the ECU is a commonly services / upgraded part.)... they can start your car.

Then of course you can just get a Master Key. (I happen to have a Master Key for 1st Generation Rx7's.... anyone have a nicely modded Rex?.. where do ya live?) :D

... I'm sure there are other ways too, but there's a couple for you. All these features and everything on a car will not prevent thieves from stealing your car..... only deter them.

Justin e36
02-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Just in case some of you don't understand how these ignition chips work... they're actually quite simple.

You can tell if a car has this feature by looking at the ignition key -- the key's shaft has a small black module embedded in it with contacts on either side of the key.

What is embedded in the key is not a computer chip as most people assume... it's one precision resistor. When you insert the key in the ignition, the resistor becomes part of a simple circuit involving three other resistors. If the key does not have a resistor or if the resistor has the wrong value, the circuit disables part of the car's electrical system to prevent the car from starting. (or to turn the car off after 10 seconds of being started)

The reason this "chip" in the key is so basic and not complicated is because a) manufacturing costs... and more importantly b) reliability. Your keys go through a lot, in pockets with coins... get thrown around, sometimes dunked in water, etc.

The chip is just another layer of protection, but there are typically only 15 different resistor values on these keys... So you a) need to have the right teeth on your key. and b) have to have the proper resistor.

However, you can always bypass this by having multiple resistors on a circuit board with a switch mechanism... insert a dummy key into the ignition, and try all 15 different values... if you're lucky you can start it on the 1st attempt. (if you have a list of VIN #'s and the Chip # associated with it, even better.)

once that is in the ignition, it's just hotwiring as usual.

more information can be found here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question282.htm&url=http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/vats.html

by the way bart ... should've mentioned this before. Sorry to hear about the break in.. is insurance going to take care of it?