PDA

View Full Version : Best car ALARM on the market?????

EMPOWERD
02-06-2004, 05:37 AM
Guys, i'm getting together smaller things for my GT2 (just picked up the audio equipment). Now i'm in the market of a REAL KICK ASS car alarm. It's obvious i'm getting a tracking system, but from what you know/hear... what's the best alarm out there (and why)? My requirements are: 2-way paging system, superior shock sensors, ignition kill, battery back-up siren and great range.

I've been asking around about Clifford/DEI/Viper Responder alarms but have heard many mixed thoughts... mostly on the range issue (no more than 100ft). I'm considering CompuStar (actually witnessed it work 2km away!) and CODE now. help!

ZiMMie
02-06-2004, 05:46 AM
the range on the 790VX sucks big time other than that i think is a very good alarm just lack range... dunno why they advertise that it goes 1 KM but mines doesnt.

Eurostyle
02-06-2004, 06:28 AM
I say save your money because if someone want to get a car of this caliber they will do it no matter what! Alarms might be good for a Neon or Caravan that get stolen 10 times a day, but if someone wasnts a car like this they must be a pro! You can have all the alarms you can buy, but there is nothing keeping them from getting the car at gun point when you are sitting at a red light! :(

qimis
02-06-2004, 06:37 AM
i've heard lots of good things about clifford
what about boomerang ?

BMWF1
02-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by qimis
i've heard lots of good things about clifford
ditto

EMPOWERD
02-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Clifford is owned by DEI (Viper), so basically you get the same internal component technology (short range). Boomerang is only one tracking system on the market, there are many more.... my experience with them has been very incompitant service, so I won't use them.

Fil, I know what you mean about car-jackers.... that's why i'm getting a tracking system. Some alarms out there have anti-hyjacking technology that disables the car in 5mins if you push the keypad while the motor is on.

Miguel
02-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Compustar 2W-SS (http://www.compustar.org/products/2WSS.html)

T-spec
02-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Mac10, Teck-9, Glock, uzi, 12 gauge are all very effective theft deterents in my opinion. I'm thinking of hooking the purge off my n2o to blast any would-be theives in the face with 900psi of funny gas if my door is opened while my alarm is on.

But anyway I have a prostart or powerstart (DEI also) with 2 way paging, car starter, adj prewarn and full alarm shock sensor, microwave (proximity) sensor, and has pretty desent range, warned me from were my car was in the parking lot to the far end of dominion in the oppostie direction, about 500ft through walls and shit. Desent range if the batteries are good!

Jon@Bimmersport
02-06-2004, 08:53 PM
isnt there a real keypad ignition thing like in transporter?

johnoz
02-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
Guys, i'm getting together smaller things for my GT2

Any chance that we can see some pics of you ride?

Just curious.

EMPOWERD
02-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by johnoz
Any chance that we can see some pics of you ride?

Just curious.

well, i'm deep in the process of building the car right now. Interior is almost done (going for a stereo install on Tues)... but the exterior is still apart in peices. The front bumper/hood/rear wing are out for paint. I don't have any pics of the car in the current state (that I want to share). It should be ready by Mar 5th for a car show (if all goes well). Here's a pic of what the car will kinda look like (except different wheels).

johnoz
02-06-2004, 10:48 PM
sweeet! porsche all the way

Eurostyle
02-07-2004, 03:56 AM
well, i'm deep in the process of building the car right now. Interior is almost done (going for a stereo install on Tues)... but the exterior is still apart in peices. The front bumper/hood/rear wing are out for paint. I don't have any pics of the car in the current state (that I want to share). It should be ready by Mar 5th for a car show (if all goes well). Here's a pic of what the car will kinda look like (except different wheels).

I hope you can do it Randy, i can just see it getting "Best Euro Other" first place! Maybe one more "Best of Show" to go with the E30 awards!!!

tlaselva
02-07-2004, 07:22 AM

Can't wait to see it in person.

That car's gonna be a sight to behold. *th-up*

LukeE30IX
02-07-2004, 11:35 PM
I must of missed the whole thing on randys car getting stolen.
Did you find it?
What happened??

NickP
02-08-2004, 05:47 PM
An angry doberman that's been underfed.

Seriously though, other than tracking I'd also look into some custom work... there's a few people out there that'll actually wire in wireless kill switches into the Motronic ECU's

Mystikal
02-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
isnt there a real keypad ignition thing like in transporter?

E30's with OBC basically have the same thing. I use mine whenever I park at the clubs. *th-up*

Mystikal
02-08-2004, 05:51 PM
And Randy, as Miguel said, the CompuSTAR is known to be the best model out there. But I'm sure you knew that.

AMG_POWER
02-11-2004, 08:50 AM
well funny stuff is remember from Russia best alarms are, taking the Battery out with you, take off the steering wheel, do custom unscrewable pedals lol, sticker on the side of the window saying: mines in the car, what else dunno i think nowa days it useless coz there are some profesional thiefs(SPL?)....

SebSter
02-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Jay how do you set up the code on the OBC? it might turn out to be pretty useful

Miguel
02-11-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by AMG_POWER
take off the steering wheel

http://www.sparcousa.com/psteering_acc.asp?id=404

Mystikal
02-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by SebSter
Jay how do you set up the code on the OBC? it might turn out to be pretty useful

Kill the engine. Turn the key back to the "On" position. Press "Code". Using the 1000/100/10/1 keys, type in a number you're SURE TO REMEMBER (last 4 digits of your phone maybe?). Once you typed it in, take the key out and leave. When you return to the car, turn the key to "On", but don't crank the engine. The OBC will be flashing. Type in the code, and start the car. It won't work unless the code is correct, and if you type the code in wrong like 5 times, an alarm goes off.

I pretty much use it whenever I leave my car downtown, despite my kickass alarm.

SebSter
02-11-2004, 11:16 PM
sweet thanks, ill give that a shot

finale36
02-12-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Miguel
http://www.sparcousa.com/psteering_acc.asp?id=404

steering wheel removal works great for mr bean*wiggle*

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Eurostyle
I say save your money because if someone want to get a car of this caliber they will do it no matter what! Alarms might be good for a Neon or Caravan that get stolen 10 times a day, but if someone wasnts a car like this they must be a pro! You can have all the alarms you can buy, but there is nothing keeping them from getting the car at gun point when you are sitting at a red light! :(

Incase your alarm goes off even for 2 seconds you will get paged. Then you can sprint back to your car and have a chance to pound someone's face in and save your car from being stolen. I'd rather spend the $600 on a good alarm and have a chance of saving my car rather than having a surprise when I walk outside to see that it is gone!

CompuStar is a great Alarm! It notifies you if someone has hit your car, If someone has opened your door, If someone has opened your trunk, If someone has started your car! It lets you know whatz going on with your car when your not around it. Lots of features. Plus it has good range!

Oh... and it has an Indiglow screen. Not a ghey light that comes on where you can't see anything on the screen.

jeremy
02-28-2004, 05:59 PM
so how did this end up ? was there a decision on what the best alarm is ?

Bob Loblaw
02-28-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by jeremy
so how did this end up ? was there a decision on what the best alarm is ?

I don't know if you're asking Randy which alarm he's getting, but I don't think it's wise to publish, on a public forum, which exact system you have on your car. The least amount of info crooks can get on your specific setup, the harder it is for them. Same thing goes with having stickers on your car which disclose the alarm's brand. Better safe than sorry. :)

EMPOWERD
02-29-2004, 02:28 AM
^^^ true.

in that case, i'm not getting an alarm at all. hehe.

SickFinga
02-29-2004, 02:38 AM
Just pay Jon .25c an hour to sit in the car with a shot gun.
best alarm ever.

Mitch555
02-29-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga
Just pay Jon .25c an hour to sit in the car with a shot gun.
best alarm ever.

The car will still get stolen!

EMPOWERD
02-29-2004, 02:58 AM
yeah, knowing Jon.. he'll sell the gun and the car to make a quick buck.

Jon@Bimmersport
02-29-2004, 03:42 AM
yeah, knowing Jon.. he'll sell the gun and the car to make a quick buck.

*th-up*

Randy knows me too well...lol

Justin e36
03-02-2004, 01:54 AM
Compustar will meet your requirements. My bro has one on his car... we drove around, I managed to hit 2.7 KM in a (nearly)straight line away from my house before it finally lost it's signal. Nice feature --- when you're out of range, (can't get to the car quickly) it will automatically arm itself.

That alarm has saved him 3 potential break-ins.. one break in they actually got in the car... 4am, but the pager went off and we were outside in our boxers before they could grab anything.

Combined, we've been through a number of Clifford, Alpine, Viper, and Avital alarms. Compustar is by far the best from our experiences.

viago99
03-11-2004, 03:30 AM
I have an Autopage 2-way paging, with all the goodies. easily 1/2 mile range. It was between the compustar and autopage for me. Decided on the Autopage because I was talking with the actual factory rep, and he convinced me by giving me a deal. Just didnt see any references to autopage, I think its excellent.