PDA

View Full Version : Ellipsoid questions!

Soldo
02-05-2004, 02:58 AM
Hey guys, i've finally broke down, i want/need ellipsoids sooooo badly that i'm thinking of going the cheap route and settling for the knockoffs, just some questions..............

- Does any place sell them LOCALLY and this is key......WITHOUT the dde's, i don't want dde's

- Asides from R-JAY, has anyone else had problems with the knockoffs?

_Lastly, Has ANYONE installed HID's on these lights before (pics for support would be nice!)??

Thanks for any help in advance!
*shiner*

Jon@Bimmersport
02-05-2004, 03:03 AM
HID's were installed in the Depos i sold to Richierich (same order as R_JAY..it was just luck i guess..bad luck)...

Soldo
02-05-2004, 03:05 AM
okay, ASIDESSSSSS from jon, can anyone help me!

(jon your bad luck, i'm not buyin em from you anyways, hehe)

Jon@Bimmersport
02-05-2004, 03:26 AM
ok, sorry for helping you out. :huh?:

i was giving an honest opinion, dont need to be a jackass and i wasnt trying to sell to u because im selling WITH dde.

Soldo
02-05-2004, 03:35 AM
anyone else!
do they even MAKE knockoffs without DDE's now?!

thinair
02-05-2004, 05:28 AM
Here is my opinion, don't cheap out, get either Bosch or ZKW's.

End of story.

Is it better to buy shit and regret it, or wait and buy the real thing?

Soldo
02-05-2004, 01:10 PM
I know, but so many people have bought the DEPO's and have had nothing but good to say about them!

WASABI
02-05-2004, 02:26 PM
I don't know which to get yet either, but I will wait it out and maybe score some used ZKWs. You can find DEPOs on ebay for under $200 shipped on Ebay. I want ZKWs, just for that extra piece of mind.

BMW_7
02-05-2004, 04:53 PM
http://www.eurospeedperformance.com/Products/lighting.htm#zkw

Buy the ZKW's with 6000k HID low beams for $520 US, which should be around $600 CAN...

it's not bad, free shipping to the US but might have to add a bit to shipping to Canada but for $600 you get ZKW's and 6000k HID I know you want that Kev!

R_JAY
02-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by BMW_7

Buy the ZKW's with 6000k HID low beams for $520 US, which should be around $600 CAN...

it's not bad, free shipping to the US but might have to add a bit to shipping to Canada but for $600 you get ZKW's and 6000k HID I know you want that Kev! Yeah what he said.
Kev, i'm not going to tell you not to buy Depo but you know it's going to be a luck of the draw situation so lets hope you pull a good one. If you decide to get one off ebay or anywhere for that matter, find out about their warranty and return policy first. I don't want to see a repeat of my situation and you don't want everyone to give you the I TOLD YOU SO speech:D

thinair
02-05-2004, 05:45 PM

it's not bad, free shipping to the US but might have to add a bit to shipping to Canada but for $600 you get ZKW's and 6000k HID I know you want that Kev!

Actually no, go back to the Eurospeed website and take another look. It's $390US for the ZKW, PLUS $520US for the 6000k xenons. So $910US x 1.30 exchange is $1183CDN, plus taxes/duties over the boarder (15%) is $1360CDN, plus whatever carrier fee the shipping company feels like charging. You're looking at like at least $1400CDN for that setup. And that doesn't even include the initial shipping from Eurospeed.

R_JAY
02-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by thinair
Actually no, go back to the Eurospeed website and take another look. It's $390US for the ZKW, PLUS $520US for the 6000k xenons. So $910US x 1.30 exchange is $1183CDN, plus taxes/duties over the boarder (15%) is $1360CDN, plus whatever carrier fee the shipping company feels like charging. You're looking at like at least $1400CDN for that setup. And that doesn't even include the initial shipping from Eurospeed. Oh damn you're right. I didn't even see that. Oh well, I think the zkw's are bright enough anyway.

R_JAY
02-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
HID's were installed in the Depos i sold to Richierich (same order as R_JAY..it was just luck i guess..bad luck)... Jon, correct me if i'm wrong but with the HID install no wires from the Depo's are used right? The reason I ask is because you keep going back to the HID Richierich installed vs the lights I got. I don't think there is a problem with the Depo housings but it's their wiring that's inconsistant and is what started the meltdown in the lights I had. If i'm right about this then you have to do a stock vs stock comparison and not a stock vs modified:D

BMW_7
02-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by thinair
Actually no, go back to the Eurospeed website and take another look. It's $390US for the ZKW, PLUS $520US for the 6000k xenons. So $910US x 1.30 exchange is $1183CDN, plus taxes/duties over the boarder (15%) is $1360CDN, plus whatever carrier fee the shipping company feels like charging. You're looking at like at least $1400CDN for that setup. And that doesn't even include the initial shipping from Eurospeed.

Damn it, I was almost planning on buying it... I guess Umnitza's the only way for ZKWs...

SUPERCHARGED
02-05-2004, 08:04 PM
here
http://www.khymotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=4_11&products_id=26

ZKW
http://www.khymotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=4_11&products_id=29

Soldo
02-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, i know theres a difference between the ZKW's and the knockoff's, i've seen the downside to em in person (sorry R_JAY). Its just that like R_JAY said, if i install HID's and change around all the wiring they should be good enough!

Guess i'll stick it out a bit longer and go for the ZKW's............ now some questions for those, do they ALL have the SMILEY's on them?

And lastly, has anyone done the NON-PLUG n PLAY install of the zkw's!?
I'm ok when it comes to fixin things, but i HATEEEEE wiring, me and wires just don't see eye to eye!

mkgino
02-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Just spend the extra money you cheap Hrvat.

thinair
02-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
now some questions for those, do they ALL have the SMILEY's on them?

What smileys?

325iSBimmer
02-05-2004, 11:30 PM
R_JAY...if u dont mind me aking..what happened to your lights

Soldo
02-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Ask JON what happened to R_JAY's lights, he was the one who sold it to him!
hehehe, thinair, smiles are the HALF CIRCLES under the outer projector that apperently helps with the light distribution once its been projected!

call me cheap, ya makedonian piece of garbage!
hehehe

thinair
02-06-2004, 12:16 AM
hehehe, thinair, smiles are the HALF CIRCLES under the outer projector that apperently helps with the light distribution once its been projected!

hehehe

The half circle of ribbed glass over the low beam ellipsoid?
I believe both the ZKW's and the Bosch have them.

mkgino
02-06-2004, 12:42 AM

hehehe The worst thing to do is be cheap when modding a car. The part will either have a wardrobe malfunction, or it will just look crappy. Seriously, just save up the money, or dont buy them at all.

Jon@Bimmersport
02-06-2004, 01:44 AM

listen, i know u may be joking. but with blaming me, me and R_JAY settled it and i apologized and tried to help AS MUCH AS I CAN. how the hell is it my fault? it is a manufacturing defect.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Soldo
02-06-2004, 02:05 AM
listen, i know u may be joking. but with blaming me, me and R_JAY settled it and i apologized and tried to help AS MUCH AS I CAN. how the hell is it my fault? it is a manufacturing defect.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
SUREEEEEEE IT WAS JON!!
:P :D
MK, i know what your saying, i've told myself that sooo many times, as i have purchased some SHITTTY aftermarket parts before, and done nothing but regret it, just sometimes its soooo tempting cause its HALF the cost!

Don't worry ZKW's for me!
So what about the NON-PLUG N PLAY install, anyone done it before?!
MK, were your ellipsoids plug n play, cause i remember you telling me you installed them yourself!

BMW_7
02-06-2004, 02:58 AM
If you want plug'n play buy the Plug n play connector, othewise you will need to splice and solder the wires.

go to www.umnitza.com

I believe with plug and play and ellipsoids it's 400$ US.

325iSBimmer
02-06-2004, 03:05 AM

Im still in the dark about what happened...
someone wanna fill me in:eek:

Jon@Bimmersport
02-06-2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by 325iSBimmer
Im still in the dark about what happened...
someone wanna fill me in:eek:

sold R_JAY and Richierich a pair of Depo's each...richierich hooked up HID's, R_JAY hooked up OEM bulbs, richierich's worked...R_JAY
s didnt, the projector melted..

325iSBimmer
02-06-2004, 03:59 AM
shitty deal....u mean the little ellipsoid thing melted down...
any sort of warranty when something like that happens...

thinair
02-06-2004, 05:54 AM
So what about the NON-PLUG N PLAY install, anyone done it before?!

Mine aren't plug and play, it's easy, don't worry.

PM when you get the lights, I still have my instructions somewhere.

mkgino
02-06-2004, 06:34 AM
http://www.khymotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=4_11&products_id=29

$360 shipped to your door. It doesnt get cheaper than that.

BMW_7
02-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by mkgino

$360 shipped to your door. It doesnt get cheaper than that.

But it does not include plug & play connector?

True, the umnitza version does not have bulbs either, or plugs or connector pins??

R_JAY
02-06-2004, 05:02 PM

True, the umnitza version does not have bulbs either, or plugs or connector pins?? Are you sure because when I bought mine from umnitza it came with all the bulbs including the city lights.

mkgino
02-06-2004, 05:37 PM

True, the umnitza version does not have bulbs either, or plugs or connector pins?? so what, thinair said its easy to install w/o the PnP connectors (which I dont think are worth $55 us anyway)

Plus, do u know how much shipping for ellipsoids is?? Well it's not cheap.

Plus why dont you guys support a maxsponsor?? At least that will keep max running.

BMW_7
02-06-2004, 05:57 PM
I guess you're right. But I don't have soldering equipment..

thinair
02-06-2004, 06:15 PM
I guess you're right. But I don't have soldering equipment..

You don't need it, soldering is better, but to tell you the truth mine isn't soldered. I just used the crimped pins to hold the wires, I didn't solder the crimps to the wires.

Trust me, it's easy.

Jon@Bimmersport
02-06-2004, 08:57 PM
isnt it just basically like wiring a deck? that isnt hard..i did it at least 10 times

thinair
02-06-2004, 09:51 PM
isnt it just basically like wiring a deck? that isnt hard..i did it at least 10 times

Basically, only easier, only like 3 wires per side, 4 if you include the city lights.

It takes like 3 times longer just to install the headlight assemblies themselves.

djcontra
02-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Buy depots and retrofit E39 projectors in them. That way they're hid-ready, and give off the correct beam pattern.
I have a write up on how to do it too:

http://www.hidforum.com/diy/e36bixenon.php

I'm happy with my depot brand ellipsoids, but eventually I will swap out the projector for E39 ones. (the bulbs are less expensive, and the projector is larger)

E39 BiXenon retrofitted to an E36 ellipsoid headlamp:

http://www.hidforum.com/diy/e36bixenon/6.jpg

Soldo
02-11-2004, 12:12 AM
HAHAHAHA< contra, i can ALWAYS count on you to convince me for these AWESOME DIY tipps!
This doesn't seem to hard to do, but can you use any other projectors, instead of E39 ones, such as audi ones etc. that are still HID ready, and by HID ready, you just mean able to project the LIGHT properly, correct?

umnitza
02-17-2004, 04:09 PM
a) you can't really do a good retrofit on a DEPO, that picture is of a ZKW.
b) we will match any advertised priced, I know KHY's price is shipped to US.
c) ours comes with all the bulbs included
d) You get our service and support if something should ever go wrong.
e) Do not cheap out, get Plug and Plays, ours are only $20 when you purchase the ZKWs, and they are only another $15 when you get StonGard to boot. Neither of which KHY or anyone else offers.

FYI

Soldo
02-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Hey umnitza, since theres no warrenty on lighting, say one of the housings melted on me ( a common story i have heard) is there any way i can get a replacement housing, or a replacement PROJECTOR??

Jon@Bimmersport
02-19-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by umnitza
a) you can't really do a good retrofit on a DEPO, that picture is of a ZKW.
b) we will match any advertised priced, I know KHY's price is shipped to US.
c) ours comes with all the bulbs included
d) You get our service and support if something should ever go wrong.
e) Do not cheap out, get Plug and Plays, ours are only $20 when you purchase the ZKWs, and they are only another $15 when you get StonGard to boot. Neither of which KHY or anyone else offers.

FYI

hey, it looks like a Depo because it doesnt have the little nipples..or say anything in the corner of the headlight..

thinair
02-19-2004, 07:52 AM
hey, it looks like a Depo because it doesnt have the little nipples..or say anything in the corner of the headlight..

Jon, those are ZKW's, only NA lights have the aiming nipples, and there is a ZKW logo on the bottom right if you look right.

uk325sport
02-21-2004, 01:22 AM
not to sure if im right but are you after european front head lights ? im in the uk and can help if you like ?

Soldo
02-21-2004, 07:20 AM
YES, i AM after the european headlights!

How might you be able to help?

Justin e36
02-21-2004, 08:44 AM
wow, I'm not going to read this whole thread... so if I'm repeating anyone, just ignore.

go with real ZKW's... they won't melt if you put xenon's in there, or HID's. Stock US lights will, (it's happened to me... still have my melted headlight housing too.), and most knockoff brands will too. If you're going to do it---do it right and invest your money wisely.

thinair
02-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Justin e36
wow, I'm not going to read this whole thread... so if I'm repeating anyone, just ignore.

go with real ZKW's... they won't melt if you put xenon's in there, or HID's. Stock US lights will, (it's happened to me... still have my melted headlight housing too.), and most knockoff brands will too. If you're going to do it---do it right and invest your money wisely.

What do you mean by Xenon's or HID's? They're the same thing are they not?

HID's run cooler then halogens, so melting the US spec ones with HID's isn't really an issue.

uk325sport
02-21-2004, 10:23 AM
how i can help is i could find some euro lights and ship them to you ? second hand or brand new for brand new bosch ones it is 250 uk pounds plus 17.5 % shiping or for just copies they are 100+17.5 % each plus shipping go to www.eurocarparts.co.uk and have a look

Soldo
02-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info uk325sport, i'm going to check that out!

Why is it that i keep hearing how HID's melt housings on US headlights, or knockoff's!??!

How is this possible, its proven that they run a lot cooler, so why don't US headlights ever melt with the halogen bulbs they come with?!?

thinair
02-21-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by uk325sport
how i can help is i could find some euro lights and ship them to you ? second hand or brand new for brand new bosch ones it is 250 uk pounds plus 17.5 % shiping or for just copies they are 100+17.5 % each plus shipping go to www.eurocarparts.co.uk and have a look

So 250 + 17.5% = $742CDN, plus shipping fron the UK, right?
Plus duties here once it hit our border.

I don't know if it would end up being cheaper.

UK325sport, that 17.5% is the tax in the UK? Is that on everything?