PDA

View Full Version : What Octane fuel do you use in your e30?

BMW_M52_M20
02-04-2004, 01:47 PM
Well, my 325e says I can use regular unleaded, but I always use premium because it does run a lot better.....
I don't notice any difference in the e36 between 89 and 91 octane, they seem to run the same way.
Anyone else find this?

johnoz
02-04-2004, 02:06 PM
87 or whatever it says on your manual. And 'it does run a lot better' with higher octane fuel is a myth, unless you have a chip installed. You are just wasting your money.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/Mythsgas1.html
http://www.toyotacelicas.com/information/carcare/gasmyths.html
http://www.techweasel.com/articles/octane.htm

SebSter
02-04-2004, 02:53 PM
i have a chip so i put 94 whenever i can, 91 if i run out and cant find a sunoco around

though, even before getting the chip i experimented a bit and found i got more mileage with higher octane fuel..then again maybe it was just my imagination

BMW_M52_M20
02-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by johnoz
87 or whatever it says on your manual. And 'it does run a lot better' with higher octane fuel is a myth, unless you have a chip installed. You are just wasting your money.

With every other car I have driven, I agree 100% including my e36, no myth with my car, acceleration is noticably better and is much more responsive. It is a really a night and day difference with my 325e
Jay

BMW BMXer
02-04-2004, 03:38 PM
I used to put in silver, now I put in regular. I can't affoard to pay 77 cents a litre and drive to rexdale everyday.

BLAGUSS
02-04-2004, 04:27 PM
In case if I get a chip I should put 91-94? Pure stock is 87 octane ?

SebSter
02-04-2004, 05:28 PM
yeah depends what the chip is best configured for...when i was talkign to markD when he was making my chip he could have programmed it for 94 octane which woulda been a bit better performance wise... but i said to just make it for 91 octane because it would be a hassle to always have to find a sunoco if im in desperate need of gas, or in unfamiliar areas

BladeRunner
02-04-2004, 05:32 PM
93 for me, commonly called gold. I can feel the difference when it comes down to accerlation also in exhaust smell. the lower octane fuel usually smells louder.

i think an older vehical ('96 early) would benefit the most from high octane fuel because of age and engine wear.

tuNED318
02-04-2004, 06:18 PM
I use 92 because I got a chip. I once went at a service gas station and the guy put reg in.... my performances weren't as good and I got the check engine light.

When it was stock, I used to put all kind of gas(87, 89-90, 92) and did not noticed any gain or loss of power.

Jammasterj
02-12-2004, 06:47 AM
yeah i notice when i put 87 into the m3 it runs great

Jammasterj
02-12-2004, 06:48 AM
hell sometimes i throw lead in just to be safe *drink*

toffa182
02-12-2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
I used to put in silver, now I put in regular. I can't affoard to pay 77 cents a litre and drive to rexdale everyday.

i take it those 77 cents are canadian. that equals around 45 european cents. we usually pay 1,05/litre here in finland! but then again we use 95 and 98 octane ;)

1BADBMR
02-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Is there such a thing as Too Much Octane???:confused:

I also have a chip in my car and try to "gold" gas

I just wanted to know if anybody uses "Octane Booster"

chromius
02-12-2004, 05:51 PM
I have been told by a BMW mechanic not to use sunnoco 94 octane because it contains a fair bit of ethanol to get the higher octane, and it does say on their pumps that it could contain up to 15% ethanol.....I don't think e30's can use ethanol....so is this true? is it bad to use? I suppose it could mess up the O2 sensor, or the injectors.....

bmwm5lover
02-12-2004, 06:53 PM
i put 89 90% of the time, and 91/93 when gas is real cheap///

Sylak
02-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Fo my 325E i use premium fuel 91 octane. I got a Jim c chip.
For my 325I i use regular. the engine is complety stock and run like a new despite his 260 000km! last summer i try 91octane juste to see if the engine run better and it change nothing at all. so for my I regular is ok ( and she's a best performer tah me E and use cheaper fuel lol)

Digitalwave
02-14-2004, 05:41 PM
I run 93 octane, its $1.99 a gallon down here. I have a chip, and in the hot Florida weather, my car will ping without 93 oct.

Mystikal
02-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Digitalwave
I run 93 octane, its $1.99 a gallon down here. I have a chip, and in the hot Florida weather, my car will ping without 93 oct.

This is a must see for you then. Here is a 3-month comparison chart of gas prices in Toronto vs. Miami, in your units:

Slowered318
02-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
This is a must see for you then. Here is a 3-month comparison chart of gas prices in Toronto vs. Miami, in your units:

I wonder if there is any need for the insane jumping around of the gas prices in toronot?

I use 91 octane.. chip or no chip, I think it better to stick with one octane rating and one brand then to switch around every time you fill up.

Mystikal
02-15-2004, 06:14 PM
Yeah, to add to what Slowered pointed out and to the thread in general, I always use Shell 91 in my car. I have a chip, and from the day I put it in I was running Sunoco 94. About a month back I was passing the Shell station near my house and it was CHEAP. So, I filled up. I never put a thought to it, but the first time I merged onto the highway I felt a difference. I went back to Sunoco for 1 tankful, and sure enough it slowed the car down.

The fact is, use the minimum rating your car is set up for.

felixthecat
02-17-2004, 03:57 AM
you should always fill up at the same station!

bmdoubleya
02-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by SebSter
i have a chip so i put 94 whenever i can, 91 if i run out and cant find a sunoco around

though, even before getting the chip i experimented a bit and found i got more mileage with higher octane fuel..then again maybe it was just my imagination

Have u tried shell 91??? I find it works better then the 94

bimmerdude
02-17-2004, 11:44 AM
I use 93 octane on my car, I heard it helps keep everything running better cleans all the pipes and will give me better gas mileage

NickP
02-17-2004, 02:14 PM
93/94

Digitalwave
02-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by bimmerdude
I use 93 octane on my car, I heard it helps keep everything running better cleans all the pipes and will give me better gas mileage

Please tell me how higher octane fuel is going to "clean your pipes"?

The fact of the matter is, unless your car is setup for high octane (with a chip), then you aren't going to gain anything by using higher octane. Not even better gas mileage. More realistically you would lower your gas mileage since the higher the octane, the harder it is for your car to ignite.

felixthecat
02-17-2004, 06:52 PM
ive tried that sunoco or is it shell?that 94 octane ,no impovement in performance,but a hell of a lot more stink to it(it would've burt your eyes if you were following me)

jps
02-17-2004, 11:04 PM
I cant believe americans have not upgraded their refinreies to be able to porduce 98 octane!

I'm in Australia and I think its pathetic we deont have ours upgraded to have an octane rating of over 100 jsut like that japenese!

Skunk#1
02-17-2004, 11:33 PM
all cars can accept 15% ethanol, but you wouldnt want to run that all the time. it will "dry out" the rubber in the pump and injectors, etc. the octane, i might be wrong, does nothing execpt prevent detonation. that is why cars that run high compression from the factory (suburbans even say to run at least the plus gas) say to use premium fuel. my land cruiser has 11.5/1 compression and i have to run 92 plus an octane booster just to get it to stop pinping (that is in texas where is gets up to 115F). i put it in the bimmer only because it has the non us pistons that have 9.2/1 compression. it can run on plus fuel but not the reg., it pings to much. basically diesel's use compression to "fire" and petrol cars use a spark. the higher to compression the easier it is to combust when there is heat (that is why if your engine has a lot of carbon you can "Diesel" the motor when turning it off or the motor pings after it heats up, or in turbo cars the metal edges have to be filled down to prevent preignition. all this causes hot spots). most of the time all cars can run on 87. it is a complete waste of money to say "its an old car so i have to run premium fuel in it." unless its a muscle car, some of those had 16/1 compression. chips are running higher octane because they advance the motor to get power and it will ping if they dont. you wont notice anything and if you do it is all pschological. i can take my motorcycle and put race fuel in it and notice the difference because it has 12.5/1 compression, i can put race fuel in my land cruiser and not really notice the difference. WHY? because even though race fuel has higher octane it is designed to burn a certain way and has to fulfill many different compression ratios, but even then you notice what, 5hp max difference, i hate to break it to ya'll, you wont feel that unless you and the car way as much as a motorcycle. so if you only gain 5-10hp with race fuel, and trust me you do that for racing every .001 sec counts, but on the street you say that you feel the difference, how come people pay 5-7 dollars/gal for race fuel when they could buy premium fuel and feel the difference? there is no way unless you were chipped, but this is to the "stock" cars.

bimmerdude
02-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Digitalwave
Please tell me how higher octane fuel is going to "clean your pipes"?

The fact of the matter is, unless your car is setup for high octane (with a chip), then you aren't going to gain anything by using higher octane. Not even better gas mileage. More realistically you would lower your gas mileage since the higher the octane, the harder it is for your car to ignite.

sorry dude thats just what i heard

BMW_M52_M20
02-17-2004, 11:57 PM
Actually Bimmerman, you aren't 100% wrong, Sunoco 94 has detergents in it that are very powerful in removing build up in the injectors. Three tanks of 94 in the e30 and the start ups were a lot smoother.

///MsAniTy
02-18-2004, 12:00 AM
i actually heard that only sunoco is recommended by bmw for the m3 nothing else.

Mystikal
02-18-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by jps
I cant believe americans have not upgraded their refinreies to be able to porduce 98 octane!

I'm in Australia and I think its pathetic we deont have ours upgraded to have an octane rating of over 100 jsut like that japenese!

Um, you may want to know this important piece of info: We (North America) use a different octane scale. 91 here is equivalent to 98 elsewhere. It's the AKI vs. RON scales.

So technically, we have 101 or so here. ;)

lvan
02-18-2004, 04:50 AM
I put 87 in my baby.

BimmerMan
02-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by BMW_M52_M20
Actually Bimmerman, you aren't 100% wrong, Sunoco 94 has detergents in it that are very powerful in removing build up in the injectors. Three tanks of 94 in the e30 and the start ups were a lot smoother.

huh? I posted something in this thread?

E30Demon
02-24-2004, 08:18 PM
More realistically you would lower your gas mileage since the higher the octane, the harder it is for your car to ignite.

Hello Everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been watching these threads for over a year now, but decided to register now. I have an 89 325i that I can never seem to stop modifying. Located in Sunny Florida. I wanted to say that this quote is not exactly true. I'm not sure about worse gas mileage, but it ISN'T harder for your car to ignite. A higher octane fuel is more refined than a lower octane fuel, as lower fuels pre-ignite before the piston reaches dead top. Higher octane fuel resists this pre-ignition by only igniting near the top of the cylinder walls, driving the piston down with greater force than a lower fuel. Yes, it is true that some engines are designed to use lower octane fuel and would not benefit from anything else, but with higher mileage engines, I wouldn't feel comfortable having my pistons igniting at different times.

Mystikal
02-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Welcome to the board, E30Demon! *wave*

marinf23
03-01-2004, 12:26 AM
In the winter you should put 87 in because your car will run better and consume gas more efficiently in the cold.