PDA

View Full Version : rear sub-frame failure help

Autotechnica
05-09-2002, 07:53 PM
I have the rear sub-frame failure on my '92 318. All '95 and later E36 models have the proper reinforcement and all the E36's before that have a design flaw. I'm briging my car to Charlie (bimmersport) to get the sub-frame repaired and reinforced and putting some new PU sub-frame mounts. Does anyone know what else I should put on reinforcement or parts as an extra percaution? I intend to do more autocrossing and hope that the rear sub-frame will be better than new since its the new reinforcement design. Also, if I heard a loud thud and lots of thumping noises comming from the rear while shifting that means its the sub-frame or the differential mounts? Thanks

Bryan

Autotechnica
05-09-2002, 07:56 PM
here's a picture

KIRASIR
05-09-2002, 08:56 PM
Check your guibo.

SL

Originally posted by MTRD
Also, if I heard a loud thud and lots of thumping noises comming from the rear while shifting that means its the sub-frame or the differential mounts? Thanks

Bryan

Autotechnica
05-09-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Check your guibo.

SL

Check my wha?

mogie
05-09-2002, 10:35 PM
On your drive shaft you have a coupling that is made of rubber, check that for cracks too. If that is failed it is possible that excessive driveline vibration can cause other bodily stress.

KIRASIR
05-09-2002, 10:39 PM
Sorry guibo is what mogie said: a rubber "disk" between the driveshaft and the tranny.

SL

Check my wha?

Autotechnica
05-09-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by mogie
On your drive shaft you have a coupling that is made of rubber, check that for cracks too. If that is failed it is possible that excessive driveline vibration can cause other bodily stress.

Thanks Mogie.. is that what a "guibo" is? :huh?:

Does the drive shaft how to come out when repairing the rear sub-frame, also how much does the rubber peice costs? Can it be replaced with stronger urethane? Thanks

Bryan

Autotechnica
05-09-2002, 10:56 PM
Sorry guibo is what mogie said: a rubber "disk" between the driveshaft and the tranny.

SL

Thanks SL,

is this a common problem?

KIRASIR
05-10-2002, 12:51 AM
As far as I know guibo is a "wear" item. Since your bimmer is a 92 I would not be surprised that your guibo is shot. I think it costs about 70US from bavarianautosports. It's not really a problem, they wear out with time just like any other bushings.

I don't think it is advisable to replace it with a urithane one since its primary function is vibration dumpening, and urithane pretty much sucks at it.

Sergei

Thanks SL,

is this a common problem?

djcontra
05-10-2002, 06:54 AM
shit man
i hate hearing about this subframe failure stuff
how much does it cost to get the reinforcement plates installed?
if it's not too much, i'm probably better off safe than sorry

Autotechnica
05-10-2002, 07:25 AM
As far as I know guibo is a "wear" item. Since your bimmer is a 92 I would not be surprised that your guibo is shot. I think it costs about 70US from bavarianautosports. It's not really a problem, they wear out with time just like any other bushings.

I don't think it is advisable to replace it with a urithane one since its primary function is vibration dumpening, and urithane pretty much sucks at it.

Sergei

Thanks, looks like this job is going to costs me close to $1000Cdn

Autotechnica
05-10-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by djcontra
shit man
i hate hearing about this subframe failure stuff
how much does it cost to get the reinforcement plates installed?
if it's not too much, i'm probably better off safe than sorry

Approx. $600 + a few parts here and there. Possibly looking at $800-$1000Cdn.. ouch!

Bryan

djcontra
05-10-2002, 08:06 AM
is that just for installation? or is that to fix your cracked subframe AND installation?

If that's what it costs to upgrade when i dont have the problem, i think ill just buy the parts and find somebody else to do it heh

Autotechnica
05-10-2002, 04:56 PM
The whole point of installing the reinforcement is to fix the crack. Its labour and parts together. Parts is not expensive, the labour will kill you. You have to drop the whole differential, drive shaft, suspension, rear seats, possibly the gas tank, etc etc.

Don't bother to reinforce it yet if its not broken. We have a saying, "if its not broken, don't fix it". You will know when the rear sub-frame is starting to crack, you can hear and feel it. Who knows, if you don't drive the card hard or even track it once in a while you might not even run into that problem.

Bryan

bmwm5lover
07-30-2003, 08:13 PM
do e30's have that problem too, or is it just for e36's?

Razkal
07-30-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
The whole point of installing the reinforcement is to fix the crack. Its labour and parts together. Parts is not expensive, the labour will kill you. You have to drop the whole differential, drive shaft, suspension, rear seats, possibly the gas tank, etc etc.

Don't bother to reinforce it yet if its not broken. We have a saying, "if its not broken, don't fix it". You will know when the rear sub-frame is starting to crack, you can hear and feel it. Who knows, if you don't drive the card hard or even track it once in a while you might not even run into that problem.

Bryan

Hey Bryan,

What do you feel/hear when its gone?? RIght now my car seems to drive just fine, but maybe I am missing something? ?

Soldo
07-30-2003, 10:46 PM
SWEETY JESUSSSSSSSS, a G for repairs?!?!
You sure this is not an ISSUE on 95's and UP?!?!?!
cause the LAST thing i wanna see is my baby get the sub frame failure, and also if this problem is unatended to, can it cause any SERIOUS damage!?

T-spec
07-30-2003, 10:54 PM
All the subframe re-inforcing plates can be found at www.turnermotorsports.com and they are all pretty cheap, like someone said before "its the labour that kills you!

Autotechnica
07-31-2003, 12:49 AM
It's an issure whether or not you have the upgraded sub-frames. Even on the M3's people have sub-frame failures. Eventually, all sub-frames will fail. How soon they fail is totally dependant on how you drive your car. It can last you more than 10 years or 2-3 years.

I've had this done on my old '92 318. I had racing reinforcement plates custom made and welded into my rear sub-frame. It's very stiff and changes the handling characteristics. It's a good mod for people who will track their cars often. It's better to do this and prevent sub-frame failure rather than fix it afterwards.

Wow, this thread is more than a year old. My old '92 w/ reinforced sub-frame is long gone.

Bryan

Furious
07-31-2003, 01:09 AM
i thought it was only the 1992 and 1993 that had subframe failures

Autotechnica
07-31-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Furious325is
i thought it was only the 1992 and 1993 that had subframe failures

Give me a 2003 M3, I can make the rear sub-frame fail in one day :)

92-93 E36's had weaker sub-frames, but that doesn't mean that all other E36's won't have the same problem. Like I said, sub-frame failure is due to each person's driving habbits.

Bry

Furious
07-31-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Give me a 2003 M3, I can make the rear sub-frame fail in one day :)

92-93 E36's had weaker sub-frames, but that doesn't mean that all other E36's won't have the same problem. Like I said, sub-frame failure is due to each person's driving habbits.

Bry

oh i agree but i think during 1994's production they beefed up the subframe.

Autotechnica
07-31-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Furious325is
oh i agree but i think during 1994's production they beefed up the subframe.

Yep, '94 + they reinforced the sub-frames. I know so many people w/ '92's that have had sub-frame failures. It can't be covered as a recall since '92 is more than 10 year old car.

Bry

Autotechnica
07-31-2003, 02:56 AM
Ok, many people are messaging me asking me if I just cracked my sub-frame. Just to clear things up. My car DOES NOT have a busted sub-frame. This thread is WAY old!!! I had a sub-frame problem on my previous 1992 318 which I no longer have.

Charlie (Bimmersport) welded in reinforcement plates where the cracked sub-frame was and the plates were like TMS race spec. Anyways, the car was very stiff and the rear end would come around very easily. Unfortunately I crashed the car in the rain not too long after I had this repair done.

Terry, how the heck did you even find this thread? It must have been on like page 10,000!

Bry