PDA

View Full Version : Soundquestion ??????????

Frank de Jonge
02-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Soundquestion ??????????
Heey guys,

I've got a nice subwoofer in my trunk and here my problem comes:

When the trunk is open the bass is realy hard and good, but when I close it all the bass is gone....

I have a Sedan.

Anyone else had this problem?? And what can I do about it??

Thanx in advance.

ashvina
02-03-2004, 10:03 PM
from what i've heard the BMW boots are really well sealed, so bass has a hard time gettin through.

it seems like you don't have the ski hatch, so i guess another option for you might be to put some infinite baffle subs in the parcel shelf? JL audio used to sell a "stealthbox" specifically designed for the E36. i think it was an 8" sub. but i'm not sure whether they make them anymore. i think there's a DIY guide to making them somewhere on the net.

i've also heard of some people taking out their rear speakers so that there is a passage that extends from the cabin into the boot, allowing the bass to come through. although this comes at the expense of treble to rear passengers.

otherwise, a good set of 6x9's might be enough...

hope this helps.
-ash

Frank de Jonge
02-04-2004, 08:20 AM
Well it is an 8" sub in a special box. (active subwoofer)
Maybe I can make 2 holes near the original speakers and put tubes in it??? Would this be a solution??

ashvina
02-04-2004, 10:21 AM
i've actually only read about this, as when i was lookin around for what to get myself (i'm getting a single 12" in the boot for mine, as i have the ski hatch)....so i really can't answer your question. but i'm pretty sure that infinite baffle means there is no real box to speak of....you sort of have the whole boot as the box...

try the JL audio site....heres the stealthbox e36 link

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/3series.html

hope this helps
-ash

Albertae30
02-05-2004, 08:14 PM
i am pretty sure the trunks have the tar sound proofing under the trunk panneling it you get the panelling off you can remove this then you will hear some boom boom bass

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 04:30 AM
BMW's are SOOOO bad to get bass through. I used to have 4, 12inch Kicker XPL's running in my trunk and they sounded like 2. BMW has a VERY tight sealed trunk. Plus my seats don't fold down so it's even worse!

snd84318i
02-28-2004, 05:04 AM
i was thinking of running my 10" tube with a addition to the exit port to the top of the rear deck or the rear seat and cut a hole tis way ( in thery ) the bass would travel though and bang . imo i like the bass in the car for me to here and feel not for everyone else.you think this would work ?

e24_635csi
02-28-2004, 09:42 PM
well if you have the ski hole... im pretty sure a 10'' would fit almos perfect in there. stealthboxes are another option... im pretty sure they are still available... if not theres someone out there willing to sell it.

beammer12000
02-29-2004, 03:26 PM
which way do you have the sub facing if it facing the seat turn it around if its already facing to the back of the car then try putting one more or get a bigger amp or put some port holes behide the rear seat .

hammoj28
02-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Is it possible to knock the ski hatch through.

snd84318i
03-01-2004, 11:58 PM
i havent put it in yet but i was thinking of faceing it up through one of the speaker holes in the rear deck none there yet .

snd84318i
03-04-2004, 11:30 PM
i put in the sub . DAMM it pumps .i put the amp up and it hits hard . i dont know what you guys consider bass if i can feel it and its hitting harder for me than when i had it in my maxima . i can just imagine the power you guys are pushing . i dont have any speakers in the rear deck yet maybe when i do it would feel less but i dont know . when i pump it up the plate shakes and makes that raddle noise . i hate that . anyway the tube doesnot fit standing up to tall. just have it laying there . imo sounds good enought .

beammer12000
03-05-2004, 02:02 AM
thats nice to hear who says you can get bass in a b.m.w

snd84318i
03-06-2004, 12:14 AM
that would be rob who said that but he always has something to say :OP lol