PDA

View Full Version : Rear Ended

bmwboy88
02-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Hi All,

This is what happened this moring? I got rear ended on hwy 404 this morning. No serious damage (appearance wise) except the bracket holding the rear bumper popped off and the bumper came off. The area that got hit has no indentation marks or scatches. The guy who rear ended me hit me around 40KM/H (my guess)

Just wondering how strong is BMW's chassis? Do you think it might have some internal damange that is not showing? I'm concered that the rear wheel/differential might potentially be damaged.

I will be taking to the dealer on Wed or Thursay. Can you guy provide some suggestions as to what I should tell the dealer to check for when they are repairing the car?

Thanks,

BMWBOY88

Gamite
02-03-2004, 01:07 AM
what exactly happened?

bmwboy88
02-03-2004, 01:23 AM
long story....another car accident occurred and the cars in front of me stopped suddenly. I stopped and I saw the guy behind me was still coming and he couldn't stop in time. It was a mess on hwy 404 (near finch exit) this morning as there were 2 accidents in the same area. Mine was the 3rd acident.

SickFinga
02-03-2004, 02:02 AM
he hit you at 40km/h???
there should be a lot of damage

bmwboy88
02-03-2004, 02:16 AM
that's what I thought. That's what concerns me. Only the bumper protruded on the passenger side. My concern is the internal (chasis, rear differential and etc).

Mitch555
02-03-2004, 02:22 AM
The impact probably felt like a 40km hit but he might have actually been going 20 km when he hit you. The force of the hit probably felt like 40km because his car stopped on impact causing it to fee like a heavier car hit you. I can't remember the exact word for it. lol

dtthiaga
02-03-2004, 01:12 PM
I'd take it to a really good body shop and see what they say. If it's the 2003 e46, I wouldn't mess around. Since you're not a fault, you should get it looked at from a good shop.

Ask your dealer who they recommend.

If the bumper fell on the ground, there might be scratches at the bottom when it hit the ground. Have it washed and inspected. From experience, sometimes the bumper deforms a bit (even though there is no scratches) when hit. When reinstalled, the gap/reveal may not be perfect.

M3ti Compact
02-03-2004, 03:23 PM
I would say if the car is not tracking right or shuddering at speed, then there is internal damage.

Otherwise, the bumper is made to take hits and all you should need is a new cover.

40km/h crash is very fast, you and the other car would not have been able to drive away from that. I would say his car would be no more than 10km/h or so at time of impact if only your bumper fell off.

Justin e36
02-04-2004, 12:14 AM
it's physics. with the weather as bad as it was, the hit even at 40km/h would have pushed your car... (making it slide)... can't lose energy, it can only be converted. :)

in either case, I'd be worried about alignment, rims okay?... of course rear bumper and brackets, and subframe. As I said.. since the car most likely got pushed, the whole car likely moved as a whole eliminating individual parts of the car shifting / breaking.

that's why, whenever possible.. if you see someone that might rear end you, let off the brakes and pop her in neutral... let him punch you, then put on the brakes.

bmwboy88
02-04-2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the inputs guys!

Understated
02-04-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Justin e36
it's physics. with the weather as bad as it was, the hit even at 40km/h would have pushed your car... (making it slide)... can't lose energy, it can only be converted. :)

in either case, I'd be worried about alignment, rims okay?... of course rear bumper and brackets, and subframe. As I said.. since the car most likely got pushed, the whole car likely moved as a whole eliminating individual parts of the car shifting / breaking.

that's why, whenever possible.. if you see someone that might rear end you, let off the brakes and pop her in neutral... let him punch you, then put on the brakes.

ORRRR u could just floor it and change lanes..:D

altho that could also be a dangerous move *no-no*

bmwboy88
02-04-2004, 01:44 AM
There was no way I could of changed lane. There were cars on all sides. All I could of done was brace for impact!