PDA

View Full Version : Why is does not switch off?

BLAGUSS
02-02-2004, 12:58 AM
Today I started my ride to warm it up and that ice could melt and all power options to work nicely as before. I let the car work for 20 miutes so when i wanted to switch off the ignition it does not switch the engine off even the key comes out. I dont see why it does not switch off when I turn the key back to me.
This is the problem on my 325E.
What could it be .

M3ti Compact
02-02-2004, 04:55 AM
dieseling?

This happens on old cars with high carbon build up (from not full throttling), which increases compression ratio. The engine could keep on running with no spark, like a diesel.

My friend had a corolla that did that, so he'll switch it off in 1st gear, and pop the clucth right after.

Or, put in some high octane...

Justin e36
02-02-2004, 10:33 AM
sounds like a broken ignition ring.

does the key just spin in circles now? .. or does it still click in each position?

If it just spins in circles, the ignition ring snapped. This is an anti-theft feature on BMW's... to prevent thieves of trying to put a flat head screwdriver in the ignition, the ring snaps and it just spins in circles after that. Unfortunately, if you knock the key hard when it's in the ignition you can snap the ring while the car is on.

BLAGUSS
02-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by M3ti Compact
dieseling?

This happens on old cars with high carbon build up (from not full throttling), which increases compression ratio. The engine could keep on running with no spark, like a diesel.

My friend had a corolla that did that, so he'll switch it off in 1st gear, and pop the clucth right after.

Or, put in some high octane...

I did the same thing put it in first and poped out the clutch to switch it off. I dont know how bad it is for a car.
The ignition does not go in circle I think M3ti is right .I did not drive it I just wanted to warm it up. It was all frozen so I just put heating on to get the power options back to life..
So higher octane would help?

BLAGUSS
02-02-2004, 11:43 AM
(from not full throttling), I did not drive the car that muchbecause my insurance is not available yet .I drove it a bit in the street to see how it goes. Generally the car was not moving for long time so that's the part reggarding to (from not full throttling).

I am sure the ignition is not broken because it does not go all the way in the circle just half way back to me .Thanks guys for helping me out.I had some feeling it is a big problem..

97 Z3 2.8
02-02-2004, 09:17 PM
How is your car getting fuel to continue running on.... the electronic fuel injection shouldn't be supplying fuel.
Whe the car Diesels or runs on it is very rough...a chugging type of sound. If the car is runny smoothly and responding normally to throttle inputs, there is more to this story than just diesling or running on.

BLAGUSS
02-03-2004, 04:43 AM
It work like a clock no noise at all. Again today I washed it and it has a same problem.The tank is half empty half full so lots of gas left in it. I am gonna call this greek guy ,specialits in BMW and see what he says..

blackshark
02-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by BLAGUSS
It work like a clock no noise at all. Again today I washed it and it has a same problem.The tank is half empty half full so lots of gas left in it. I am gonna call this greek guy ,specialits in BMW and see what he says..

my old golf had that problem so i took a big hummer smash
that sheise wagen and bingo
just kidding i put the key back turned it back on and off and that problem was gone :D

97 Z3 2.8
02-04-2004, 03:52 PM
If I read your post correctly (you either aren't very clear or don't understand what I'm suggesting), your car runs normally when "running on".

Gas in the tank was not the issue I was talking about as far as the electronic DME and injection supplying fuel to the injectors.

From your last post I believe you have an issue with your ignition switch itself, or one bees nest of a wiring problem.

Odd....

BLAGUSS
02-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Again I had to finish my car polishing and detailing . I read like to take car of it. I think i learned the trick . When i am about to switch it off ,I just turn the key back to me a bit faster then usual. It worked yesterday after I finished washing my car.

Okay . No everything is fine.

Justin e36
02-04-2004, 10:59 PM
um, that's akward... I'd still get that looked at before it gets any worse.

BLAGUSS
02-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Yes ,definately.As soon I insure my bimmer I will take i to this store that i know so they can tell me how long the engine can last. All the little thing just for check up but I dont think it is so serious.