PDA

View Full Version : Resetting Sunroof Problem

328is_Perf
02-01-2004, 06:07 PM
ok on my 328is the sunroof opens normally

except

when it goes all the way back... the motor resets itself to think its at the beginning (i know this because i took the motor off to close the sunroof)

Sothe sunroof is open ... and it doesnt want to close since it thinks its already closed...

how do i fix this...????

what position does the sunroof have to be to be inline with the motor when taking it off?

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 10:54 PM
sunroof motor works on a certain # of revolutions before it stops. If this is off track, be VERY careful when tilting your roof... it'll continue trying to push up when the roof is already up and you'll break your sunroof lifters.. (they're plastic)... around $60 for the parts, and a lot of pain and hassle to fix em.

for your problem:

open your sunroof motor liner.

close the sunroof.

pull the motor out, while keeping it plugged in.
push the button on your sunroof until it's in the position where if you push it a 2nd time it'll go into "lift" mode.

Put it back in place, bolt it up... and you're good to go.

328is_Perf
02-02-2004, 02:49 AM
i did that many times ... but it happens again and again .... it resets itself and it doesnt want to close

Frank de Jonge
02-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Mine doesn wanna go up anymore. Lifters are broken, is this easy to fix???

Maybe someone also had this problem before and can help me out too.

Thnx in advance.

Justin e36
02-04-2004, 10:17 PM
328is ... I have no clue, sorry. That's weird that it would reset itself... try throwing another sunroof motor in there just to see what happens...

Frank... have my replacement lifters sitting beside me right now. They break very often on e36's... should've been made of metal IMO... anyway, here's detailed step by step's for ya... lemme know how it goes: http://www.fastlanebmw.com/sunroof/tilt.htm