PDA

View Full Version : Supra Twin-Turbo Swap into an E36

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 02:25 PM
pushing more than 800bhp... a common engine swap in Europe.

Here are pictures from 3 different E36's with the swap done...

You either love it, or you hate it...

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 02:26 PM
more..

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 02:27 PM
last one..

suicide
02-01-2004, 03:04 PM
that is crazy is it a direct swap or do you have to make custom engine mounts

Gamite
02-01-2004, 03:11 PM
why don't you just leave it as a supra?

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 03:13 PM
not really sure on the specifics... I'm assuming you'd need custom engine mounts, but I don't think it'd be too difficult to retrofit---otherwise so many people probably wouldn't be doing it. It's also a common swap in Mustang's...

There was a discussion about this going on over here:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t98613.html

gamite: for the BMW luxury and fun... with over 800bhp under the hood? who knows... people do lots of weird stuff with bimmer's now a days..

Gamite
02-01-2004, 03:23 PM
lol i guess.

Bigbore
02-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Different :/

bmwm5lover
02-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Fast? yes! Different? Yes! Gay and doesnt belong in a Bimmer? YES!

djcontra
02-01-2004, 04:58 PM
that's what I'm planning on doing when I blow my engine. I've already got the 2jz in my garage ;)
(and terry, when it eventually gets installed, you can eat my dust :D)

app
02-01-2004, 06:14 PM
custom motor mounts, custom driveshaft.

Jon@Bimmersport
02-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
that's what I'm planning on doing when I blow my engine. I've already got the 2jz in my garage ;)

i bet he'll be screaming like a skool girl if he got a ride in it...hahahha...are u building it up?

burnhard88
02-01-2004, 06:33 PM
lol... have to agree with terry though... "Gay and doesnt belong in a Bimmer? YES!"...

*uzi*

Mystikal
02-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Meh, I think I'd spend the money on a SR20DET or 2JZ much more willingly than an M52B32. But I'm just logical like that.

ZiMMie
02-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Meh, I think I'd spend the money on a SR20DET or 2JZ much more willingly than an M52B32. But I'm just logical like that.

i feel u :D

djcontra
02-01-2004, 07:45 PM
The one thing I like about the 2jz, is there is sooooo many options when it comes to building up the motor. (and the prices are good too because of aftermarket mass production)

Kurt Schneller
02-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
Fast? yes! Different? Yes! Gay and doesnt belong in a Bimmer? YES!

What my man Terry here said. Truelly a sad sight:(

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by djcontra

Your 'supra'charged project isn't exactly secret anymore---but I wanna see this when it's done anyway, don't know if I'd trust myself with that kinda power. I like how you said... WHEN you blow your engine. *wiggle*

djcontra
02-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Justin e36
I like how you said... WHEN you blow your engine. *wiggle*

it's only a matter of time :D
I say give it 1 or 2 years until at least the head gasket blows...that'll be enough of an excuse for me to do the swap heh.
In the meantime, I'll just build up the 2jz, OR, I might get an rb26 (if I can get one at a good price....which will probably never happen :D)

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Twin Turbo Skyline? (if I'm not mistaken) :eek:
Yeah probably won't be able to get an engine for a good price in Canada.. there are still so many legality issues with importing Skylines even... but the RB26 is an awesome piece of machinery... don't blow that or your 2JZ when you install it too. *no-no*

how much did the 2jz run you?

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 08:07 PM
contra... something you may be interested in... RB26 for $3800 USD... manual of course. http://www.jrautoparts.com/engine/r33.html

a lil more difficult to go from AWD to RWD though isn't it?.. unless you convert your bimmer to AWD? ... which would be crazy...

app
02-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Supra engines run around $3500, and then depending on the tranny, other costs get incurred.

bmwm5lover
02-01-2004, 10:56 PM
i dont care if its the fastest engine out there, it doesnt belong in a bimmer... if u want a jap engine, buy a jap car....

Gamite
02-01-2004, 10:58 PM
I still say you shoulda kept ita supra, I'd rather be driving that around..

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 10:59 PM
sometimes you get an accident vehicle though, and it's just cheaper to drop that power into your current vehicle. as I said though.. people like to do weird things to bimmers... we've all seen the BMW Nightmare page.. :|

E30ZeRo
02-01-2004, 11:07 PM
its kinda logical though, easily tuned engine, lots of aftermarket engine, and best yet it fits in a beemer with no problem...nothing wrong with that, its actually really sweet

Kurt Schneller
02-01-2004, 11:10 PM
i dont care if its the fastest engine out there, it doesnt belong in a bimmer... if u want a jap engine, buy a jap car....

couldn't of said it better, if YOu want a jap engine, buy a jap car.

bmwm5lover
02-02-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by E30ZeRo
its kinda logical though, easily tuned engine, lots of aftermarket engine, and best yet it fits in a beemer with no problem...nothing wrong with that, its actually really sweet
But then why drive a bimmer if you are gonna take its heart, and soul from it, and put something that doesnt belong there? why not buy a supra and do it up? If say you have an e36 318, and u want mor power,TT it, or drop an M3/M5 engine, that way its stilla true BMW at heart, not some jap crap...

///MsAniTy
02-02-2004, 02:33 AM
well terry i gotta say if i had the determination i would do that also. like i see where contra is comin from cheap speed man. tt'in a bimmer can run u deep pockets and the supra motor already has capable internals for crazy power so y not. i mean u might be takin the soup away form the bimmer but hey if its makin yr soul and pockets happier why not.

biotek
02-02-2004, 03:05 AM
But then why drive a bimmer if you are gonna take its heart, and soul from it, and put something that doesnt belong there? why not buy a supra and do it up? If say you have an e36 318, and u want mor power,TT it, or drop an M3/M5 engine, that way its stilla true BMW at heart, not some jap crap...

i agree 100%

*thmbsdwn*

nzer
02-02-2004, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Kurt Schneller
couldn't of said it better, if YOu want a jap engine, buy a jap car.

Cept in the case of most e36 owners.. the 2JZ is a much better motor than they own, much cheaper than an S50 swap much cheaper than many other swaps. I can't understand people hating the jappa swaps. I'd do it in a second.

in NZ we have a dude with a 1JZ in his e30, its one of the fastest cars i've ever been in, simply amazing. So so much smoother than a BMW motor and it matches the car perfectly. He is on here also.. E30-323ti ..

fabianyee
02-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Over here in Malaysia, japs engine in an E30 is not uncommon.
First af all, it's cheap.
Secondly, those factory turbo-ed engines are tried and tested in the factory as compared to custom ones.

But I wouldn't do it unless I'm using it purely for track. Then it would be an all out car...
As for a daily driver, would still wanna maintain a bimmer engine in a bimmer shell...

Kurt Schneller
02-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by nzer
Cept in the case of most e36 owners.. the 2JZ is a much better motor than they own, much cheaper than an S50 swap much cheaper than many other swaps. I can't understand people hating the jappa swaps. I'd do it in a second.

in NZ we have a dude with a 1JZ in his e30, its one of the fastest cars i've ever been in, simply amazing. So so much smoother than a BMW motor and it matches the car perfectly. He is on here also.. E30-323ti ..

ok take this E36 and sell it, then buy something else, drop jiz or 1JZ motor in their and have a ball, goodnight.*shiner* like terry (bmwm5lover) said, I dont care if it out runs darth vaders shuttle, it doesn't belong in a bimmer

e30-323ti
02-02-2004, 10:05 PM
I makes me laugh how anal some people are about keeping their BMW so pure, At the end of the day it is a heap of metal with a badge!!

If you had a 318ti and loved its handling/nimbleness but is slow as buggery, and also had a 500hp supra that went well but handled like a barge.
Would you not wonder how the 318ti would go with the supra engine.
Well some of us do it, sacreligous as it is to some of you.

And I've never looked back.
280hp for 1/4 the cost of a S50 swap (and only 240hp), you can't complain!!

Kurt Schneller
02-02-2004, 10:12 PM
it's the BMW purist vs the hybrids, neither of us will ever see it each others ways, we will call each other names like "ANAL" , but in the end ...to each his own

Justin e36
02-02-2004, 10:31 PM
as I said when I created the thread, "you either love it, or you hate it".

Kurt Schneller
02-02-2004, 10:32 PM
as I said when I created the thread, "you either love it, or you hate it".

Amen to that brother :D

e30-323ti
02-02-2004, 11:56 PM
I wasn't calling anybody names, just a very casual way of describing someones point of view.

Just a Q for all you purists out there:
How many of you have been in a hybrid vehicle and can say it was worse than the original??
I'm talking well done conversions, not engines being held in with duct tape and the ECU sitting in the passengers lap with a birds nest of wires!!

nzer
02-03-2004, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by e30-323ti
I wasn't calling anybody names, just a very casual way of describing someones point of view.

How many of you have been in a hybrid vehicle and can say it was worse than the original??
I'm talking well done conversions, not engines being held in with duct tape and the ECU sitting in the passengers lap with a birds nest of wires!!

Yours is a mint clean install + it fits the bimmer way better than a dead m20 ever did. It belongs there, germans looks and handling with awesome cheap jappa power. Makes sense to me.

Kurt Schneller
02-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by e30-323ti

calm yourself son (English acccent) :D

I have been in a E30 toyota that did 290km/h on the 1000m , but I still dont think it belongs in a bimmer dawg (PIMP accent)

but, atleast it seems like yours is clean and all (conversion), anyway arqueing about this is pointless.....dawg

excuse me I watched to much MTV today and 50 cents is stuck in my head. PEE EYE EM PEE ..PIMP (I hate that sh*t)

djcontra
02-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Love it or hate it, one or the other will eventually be under the hood of my car. The way I see it is, for $9000 I can have a 3.2L m3 engine in my car at 240hp ~ 260hp

OR

for $9000 I can have a heavily modified twin turbo 400hp+ engine under the hood....gee...which would a young 22 year old choose???? :D

(to do the same with an m3 engine would cost around $20,000 ...and that's AFTER the engine is installed too :( )

Kurt Schneller
02-03-2004, 06:23 PM
nobody said BMW's were cheap ....dawg :) the marquee comes with a price

Mystikal
02-03-2004, 06:26 PM
I can't wait to see the 2JZ in and spinning mad amounts of boost. You going single turbo on it?

I'll stay back and play with a SR20DET when my motor craps out. :cool:

Justin e36
02-03-2004, 09:09 PM
here's an interesting question:

do you guys not like any type of inter-racial engine swaps? (yeah.. I call em inter-racial) :P

For example... how about putting a Porche engine in an Rx7?

Would it be okay to put a higher-class engine in a BMW?... say, if someone managed (hypothetically speaking) to retrofit a Ferrari engine in a Bimmer... is that okay?

Or is it just that BMW has to stick to BMW, but everyone else can swap all they want?

Is it also bad to have other non-BMW parts in your BMW all together?... like a no-name intake?... non-BMW rims?... seats?.. steering wheel? ... body panels? headlights? skirts and body kits?

or is it only the engine that is not allowed to come from a company other than BMW?

J

ZiMMie
02-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Contra Dont mind wat en1 says i still want to see that engine in there. :D

bmwm5lover
02-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Ok, lets be a bit logical here.... You like BMW's, so u go out, and you buy a 318/325 e36, cuz youi canyt afford a M3. You drive it around for a bit, u love its handling, its looks, its capabilities, its heritage, its aerodinamics, and its BADGE, its status in auto scene, and most of all, the fact that its powered BY I4/6, BMW ENGINE! If you can't take pride in the BMW engine(s), then y buy an BMW in the first place? I understand, 318, new or old, are slow, but why would you DEGRADE a BMW by putting in something that doesnt belong in there (ie Jap engine?) If you are not happy with your BMW's performance, IMO, you have 3choices....
1) You take ur white ass to the dealership, and u sell it, or trade it in for a faster BMW.
2) You SWAP A MORE POWERFUL BMW engine..., or u supercharge/turbocharge.
3) You sell it, and you pick up a faster car, Ie TT Supra, with endless capabilities, cheap performance parts, etc...

By putting a JAP engine in the BMW, its like, i guess, in a way a heart transplant.... YES, you continue living, YES, ur new heart is better than ur old one in terms of performance :D, but IS itYOUR Heart, that you were given by the one above? HELL NO!

AS to whoever it was that asked about non BMW parts in BMW cars, it really depends on exactly what you mean? IMO as long as it is MADE for a BMW, then its ok. For example, MTECH 2 kit, from eurostyle, no it is not the authentic original OEM from BMW, but IT IS MADE, engineered, designed to fit a BMW, u dont go and grab a front skirt of a RX7 and stick it on a BMW. This also may relate to how so many Ricers do front end conversions from BMW's, they are making their car to be something it is really not.. same thing by stuffing a Jap engine in a BMW, its a BMW on the outside, but Jap on the inside.... Its an emberassment, why buy a BMW if you are gonna take WHAT BMW IS away from it....

thats my view.....

Justin e36
02-03-2004, 10:01 PM
By putting a JAP engine in the BMW, its like, i guess, in a way a heart transplant.... YES, you continue living, YES, ur new heart is better than ur old one in terms of performance , but IS itYOUR Heart, that you were given by the one above? HELL NO!

um, if I was given the opportunity to be given a heart transplant so I could continue living... and a better heart than the one I had before... (oxygenates more blood than my previous with less energy used.). I would probably say, sure doc--sign me up! :D ... (even if that better performing heart happened to come from some dude in Japan.)

Bottom line, if your engine blows and you're forced to replace it... you should go with a BMW engine over something that'll give you more bang for your buck simply because of the moral implications.

I see where you're coming from. Anyone else?

bmwm5lover
02-03-2004, 11:47 PM
um, if I was given the opportunity to be given a heart transplant so I could continue living... and a better heart than the one I had before... (oxygenates more blood than my previous with less energy used.). I would probably say, sure doc--sign me up! :D ... (even if that better performing heart happened to come from some dude in Japan.)

Bottom line, if your engine blows and you're forced to replace it... you should go with a BMW engine over something that'll give you more bang for your buck simply because of the moral implications.

I see where you're coming from. Anyone else?
i know u would get the transplant, so would i, but in the end is it the Heart you were given to begin eith? Does it belong in you? Why do u think so many ppl die from heart transplants? they are not compatible in most cases.
here you go, im quoting you..
"you should go with a BMW engine over something that'll give you more bang for your buck simply because of the moral implications."
So you are With me on this... anyways, different folks for different folks, but bottom line is, BMW is powered by BMW ENZgiNES, and TOyota is powered By Toyota engine,..., and it has NOTHING to do with morals, really, its just logical when driving a BMW to have Bimmer engine, and not a YUGO!:D

Justin e36
02-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Oh, I've never been arguing with you on this. Personally, I'm not very fond of the idea of throwing another engine under my BMW... kinda takes away from the BMW name. I'm just throwing ideas out there to see what everyone has to say.

However, when push comes to shove---if my BMW engine blew and I was given the option of throwing another engine in with potentially less problems, more power, and cheaper to maintain... for the same price. I would put some thought into it before making my decision.

Personally, I like to keep BMW parts with my bimmer... and hate to see BMW's with parts off another car.. or other cars with M3 mirrors, skirts, fender grills, etc.

I am interested to see Contra's ride when he's done though... :)

djcontra
02-04-2004, 12:48 AM
why would you DEGRADE a BMW by putting in something that doesnt belong in there (ie Jap engine?)
For example, MTECH 2 kit, from eurostyle, no it is not the authentic original OEM from BMW, but IT IS MADE, engineered, designed to fit a BMW, u dont go and grab a front skirt of a RX7 and stick it on a BMW.

so when randy put honda paint on his car, that automatically makes his car lesser than what it would with bmw paint? Does it maked him a traitor?? How about if somebody on here put a GM differential on their car instead of a BMW one, is that wrong too?
b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t.
A bmw is a car, just like any car out there. I just happen to like the looks, handling, and reliability I've got with my two e36's. In fact, I love the look of the e36 more than most cars out there today. That is the reason why, when my engine dies, I will put something bigger and better in it's place. Bmw or not, the car will still look the same me, and everyone else; that's all I care about. After spending thousands on a body kit, accessories, and eventually paint, why start from scratch with a new car?? Just swap the engine! I just happen to want an engine in my car that is a) fast, and b) turbo, and c) already tuned for the turbo.
As for morals, do I have morals? Hell no! I couldn't give two shits whether the honda beside me has a honda engine, or a lambo engine, props either way! Heck, when I had so much love for the fiero, I owned 3 of them, one which I swapped the engine out for a better, faster, supercharged v8 engine NOT DESIGNED FOR THE CAR. Did I ever think twice? Did I ever get knocked on for doing it? Hell no! And I wont be for doing this swap either when it's done. Remember, it's just a car. It's a chassis on 4 wheels with an engine to drive it. If you can make it better, then do it!
Don't worry though, in a year or two's time when the engine goes in, I wont ask you if you'd like to take a spin in it, because I know it'd be against your bmw religion ;)

p.s. btw, transmissions for bmw aren't always made by bmw either (if at all)...they're made by GM! So what does that make your car now???? :D

Justin e36
02-04-2004, 12:55 AM
p.s. btw, transmissions for bmw aren't always made by bmw either (if at all)...they're made by GM! So what does that make your car now????

... not to mention the Euro M3 engines are manufactured by Rolls Royce.

although in all fairness... BMW owns Rolls now.

Mystikal
02-04-2004, 12:57 AM
BMW's are great, but everything about one can be improved upon. Whoever makes that improvement the best, or at the best price for what you get, is the logical choice.

bmwm5lover
02-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Adam , soon with your logic we will have lada engines in BMW;s and Vice versa... w/e floats ur boat.. IMO, a BMW with a tuned BMW engine will always be 100 times better than a BMW with anyother tuned engine, even though this one may be faster...

Mystikal
02-04-2004, 01:06 AM
"You can't argue with a sick mind"

BladeRunner
02-04-2004, 01:13 AM
i like it Supras have earned their spot with me. just wondering why not twin turbo (bi-turbo) the BMW engine? sure the BMW will not make 600-1200+hp but it would be sight to see.

///MsAniTy
02-04-2004, 01:23 AM
yea but how much will twin turboing cost? this is simple and efficient to swap the supra engine in there. i agree if i was a speed freak liek adam i would do the same things.

Jon@Bimmersport
02-04-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
i like it Supras have earned their spot with me. just wondering why not twin turbo (bi-turbo) the BMW engine? sure the BMW will not make 600-1200+hp but it would be sight to see.

its been done a GIRL in europe did it..550hp from a euro m3 3.0l motor

bmwm5lover
02-04-2004, 01:54 AM
"You can't argue with a sick mind"
;)

Kurt Schneller
02-04-2004, 07:02 PM
thanks for backing me up BMWM5lover, heck dude hehe, lets throw in a E55 5.5l supercharged V8 into a M5 and put on amg wheels, mercedes badge infront and a bmw badge at the back.

oh and one more thing, NO BMW club (well not here anyway) will let you within 5km of any of their events if your bmw isn't powered by a bmw engine, does that say something?

bmwm5lover
02-04-2004, 08:56 PM
BMW's are great, but everything about one can be improved upon. Whoever makes that improvement the best, or at the best price for what you get, is the logical choice.
Yes, ofcourse Bmw can be imporved upon, BUT improving what it already came with, improving what BMW has, by REPLACING the engine with a NON Bmw one, all you are doing, is degrading... No matter the speed...

Miguel
02-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Man, this is so stupid... how can you justify $15K+ on twin turboing + tuning a Euro M3 motor swap when you can swap in a small block chevy or a turbo supra engine for 1/3 of the cost?!?

Anyone wanna do a non-BMW swap.. all the power to you!
A BMW is know for its prestige and handling capabilities, not for mind-blowing power. If anything, A BMW engine is the weakest link in a Bimmer.

*flamesuit on**shiner*

NickP
02-05-2004, 01:47 AM

I've always heard that they were hand assembled by the M guys... where did you get the Rolls Royce info from?

Back on topic... drop the 2JZ in there! At the end of the day, if it makes you happy you've answered your own question.

Justin e36
01-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Contra... you still have that 2JZ kicking around? Want to sell it?... I have a new project car around the corner and she needs a heart. Let me know!

Jim .E.
01-10-2005, 07:27 PM
i dunno whats the big deal...Adams car is gonna be amazing...and when its done ill betchu everyone in this forum talkin smack is gonna be like:

"omg it looks titties"
"its hawt"
"i love it"
"thas tite"
"props man"

bunch of 2 face people

SickFinga
01-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Where did you get this idea that Supra parts are cheap?
They are expensive cars with expensive mods if you do it properly.
If you want cheap power, get a simple pushroad v8 slap a turbo on it and twist your driveshaft on daily basis.

BMW aftermarket scene is still kinda new, so not much stuff is available, but its gettin there.
Remember just 3 years ago everybody were drooling over 350rwhp aa turbo m3s. Now, they can do 630rwhp. And ICS is building a 1000fwhp m3 now.
Trust me, 600rwhp supra wont cost less than a 600rwhp m3.

SickFinga
01-10-2005, 08:48 PM

where did you get that info????

BMWF1
01-11-2005, 02:05 AM
How about you take that engine and mount it up to a Bike, 800hp to that, you'll set a new 0-60 time thats for sure ;)

Jim .E.
01-11-2005, 02:22 AM
all i know is you guys talk all u want about "jap crap this jap crap that"...but in all honesty is it crap if a 2JZTT smokes ur m3 and probably cost 3 quarters if not only half of what you paid...i call that technology not jap crap...you guys have your heads so far up your ass jus because you drive a bimmer that you degrade other cars...get over it....jap crap will smoke your german stuff when it comes down to it...

djcontra
01-11-2005, 05:47 AM
Contra... you still have that 2JZ kicking around? Want to sell it?... I have a new project car around the corner and she needs a heart. Let me know!

Sorry man, the engine is definately not for sale. I was lucky enough to get it when I did, so I'm just going to keep it around until my current engine blows, or I decide to sell my current engine with it's supercharger as a whole. Could be a year or two before I start to do the 2JZ swap...

(I probably should have done the swap from day one, but didn't think of it at the time, and it's just too late now without a good reason)

Justin e36
01-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Sorry man, the engine is definately not for sale. I was lucky enough to get it when I did, so I'm just going to keep it around until my current engine blows, or I decide to sell my current engine with it's supercharger as a whole. Could be a year or two before I start to do the 2JZ swap...

(I probably should have done the swap from day one, but didn't think of it at the time, and it's just too late now without a good reason)

No problem.. happen to know where I can pick one up?.. What other options do I have for an e36 in terms of engine swaps?

ChahalzBMR
01-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Hey Justin, my cousin got a prelude engine for accord dirt cheap from Big Japanese used auto parts. They got lines of engines and other parts for Jap cars!!!
Toronto, ONT. M9L-1Z3
Phone number: 416-744-1517 and 416-744-9248
Ask for Eshaq. There is another guy in the back that deals with the engine, he knows his shit! If you want more info, PM me and I'll get you in touch with my cousin who got the engine from them.

ChahalzBMR
01-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Oh yeah, tried to send you PM but it's always full. Just wanted to thak you for the 3rd yr anni. idea. Worked like a charm!!!! *th-up*

chia
01-11-2005, 04:24 PM
how much would a 2jz go for in strong condition?

if i were to get an e36 with a dead engine, how much do you think it would cost to get a 2jz in there running smoothly with no problems.

SickFinga
01-11-2005, 05:20 PM
all i know is you guys talk all u want about "jap crap this jap crap that"...but in all honesty is it crap if a 2JZTT smokes ur m3 and probably cost 3 quarters if not only half of what you paid...i call that technology not jap crap...you guys have your heads so far up your ass jus because you drive a bimmer that you degrade other cars...get over it....jap crap will smoke your german stuff when it comes down to it...

Actually Supra is/was more expensive than e36 m3. New or used.
And TwinTurbo 3.0l engine smoking a detuned 3.0/3.2l NA engine is not what I call technology. I'd call it FI.

EMPOWERD
01-11-2005, 05:49 PM
A bit off topic, but.... I've got dibs on a complete TypeR engine/tranny/ECU etc... PM me for details. cheap!

My E30 had a Honda color? :confused:

Justin e36
01-11-2005, 06:07 PM
how much would a 2jz go for in strong condition?

if i were to get an e36 with a dead engine, how much do you think it would cost to get a 2jz in there running smoothly with no problems.

around $4k - $6k for a strong low km engine.. and around $3k to have it dropped in properly.

Justin e36
01-11-2005, 06:08 PM
A bit off topic, but.... I've got dibs on a complete TypeR engine/tranny/ECU etc... PM me for details. cheap!

My E30 had a Honda color? :confused:

apparently electric blue is a honda color.... who knew? I guess it was kinda-sorta-somewhat-a-bit similar to the 99-2000 SiR blue / Prelude blue.

EMPOWERD
01-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks Justin. You're a wealth of knowledge bro!

p.s. I was being sarcastic about not knowing. hehe!

Justin e36
01-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks Justin. You're a wealth of knowledge bro!

p.s. I was being sarcastic about not knowing. hehe!

bah, you and your sarcasm. :P ........ so, was it honda paint or not?

SickFinga
01-11-2005, 06:25 PM
He Had Honda Skirts Too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fuken Ricer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin e36
01-11-2005, 06:43 PM
He Had Honda Skirts Too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fuken Ricer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

might as well have put a honda badge on it. when will people learn to keep this jap crap off of bmw's?

... anyway, anyone know what other engines I can swap into an e36?

EMPOWERD
01-11-2005, 06:47 PM
I'd love to do an LS6 swap into an E36 or E30 for kicks (and fun little track car). I wouldn't bother with a 2JZ GTE motor because of what Vlad said a few posts ago. Very good points, they're not exactly "cheap" to mod even though their internals can handle a lot. Besides, had anyone even considered the amount of turbo lag any of these "small" boosted 6-cyl dyno-queen motors have? I'd take a supercharged LS6 instead thank you.

p.s. Yes, my car was really a Honda SIR with an E30 body kit.

chia
01-11-2005, 07:00 PM
around $4k - $6k for a strong low km engine.. and around $3k to have it dropped in properly.

thanks for the info *th-up*

for that money, i'd think that's an awsome swap. but what do i know? :confused:

app
01-12-2005, 12:53 AM
is that just the engine alone, or w/tranny?

Justin e36
01-12-2005, 10:11 AM
I'd love to do an LS6 swap into an E36 or E30 for kicks (and fun little track car). I wouldn't bother with a 2JZ GTE motor because of what Vlad said a few posts ago. Very good points, they're not exactly "cheap" to mod even though their internals can handle a lot. Besides, had anyone even considered the amount of turbo lag any of these "small" boosted 6-cyl dyno-queen motors have? I'd take a supercharged LS6 instead thank you.

p.s. Yes, my car was really a Honda SIR with an E30 body kit.

Hmm, that's the first suggestion to come out of Miguel's mouth too... LS6. Any idea on how much it would cost to do this? ... How reliable are they? If I buy a car with a blown engine, then I'll definately consider this as a replacement... even though this new car is gearing more towards a show car opposed to a track car.

btw... I can't say anything bad about the Honda SiR ... my brother drives one. *mumble*

Justin e36
01-12-2005, 10:21 AM
is that just the engine alone, or w/tranny?

engine alone.

Veemax
01-12-2005, 10:56 AM
What do you guys think about a SR20DET in a E30? anybody do this yet? I heard about it. I owned a 240SX before my e30 and it was a fun car, A friend of mine has one with the SR20DET in it and that is nutz, he did a 12.3 sec 1/4 Mile. Car is really fast. I would like my e30 to go like that. M3 engines are so freakin expensive to get, install and supp up...

TiemenT
01-12-2005, 11:15 AM
pushing more than 800bhp... a common engine swap in Europe...

supra is not on the market in europe.. so it's way from 'common engine swap'

tlaselva
01-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Wasn't there a recent thread about a tuner that has a bolt on kit for the LSx engine's into a E36?

If your looking for a new one, they can be had in a crate, complete from GM for about 8G's. Keep in mind a stock LSx engine is good for about 500 rwhp. Beyond that, it's advisable to forge the bottom end.

Shouldn't be difficult to find a used LSx engine though. There are many Vettes that are being transplanted with hefty engines, so if your patient, you should be able to find a low K one for about 4G's. I'll likely be pulling mine out of my Z in the next few months.

If your serious about an LSx series engine, PM me. There's many options and setups to consider, ie. N/A, S/C, TTi etc. All of them have they're advantages and disadvantages. All depends what you’re going to use your car for. It's more involved than I can cover in a thread.

Hmm, that's the first suggestion to come out of Miguel's mouth too... LS6. Any idea on how much it would cost to do this? ... How reliable are they? If I buy a car with a blown engine, then I'll definately consider this as a replacement... even though this new car is gearing more towards a show car opposed to a track car.

btw... I can't say anything bad about the Honda SiR ... my brother drives one. *mumble*

Justin e36
01-12-2005, 02:20 PM
tlaselva -- good info, exactly what I wanted to know. The car I was going to buy with a dead engine is gone now... so we'll see what the next car to cross my path is. If it's another dead engine e36 then I'll do this for sure and PM you. I should be buying a car within the next month... so we'll see. It all depends on when one crosses my path.

Nascar318is
01-13-2005, 01:41 PM
No problem.. happen to know where I can pick one up?..

This 2jz with 6speed tranny is $5500 usd.

It's in Montreal at

http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/introtoyota.htm

They have just the engine for automatic tranny for $2800 usd...

Also somewhere on the net they were throwing a v-8 vette engine into a 318...can't remember where I saw it..

Justin e36
01-13-2005, 02:16 PM
This 2jz with 6speed tranny is $5500 usd.

It's in Montreal at

http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/introtoyota.htm

They have just the engine for automatic tranny for $2800 usd...

Also somewhere on the net they were throwing a v-8 vette engine into a 318...can't remember where I saw it..

yes, I've already emailed them with price quotes for a LS1 and LS6 'vette engines... we'll see what they say. It should be around $9000 CDN including 6-speed tranny swap... but we'll see what it comes up to after labour and reinforcing rear subframe and everything. So glad I didn't waste my money on an M3 swap a year ago... came so close too!