PDA

View Full Version : Another E36 2 Door Window Problem

328is_Perf
01-31-2004, 08:04 PM
OK... i got a 96 328is...

the problem is on the drivers side window

it goes down fine like its supposed to...

the up is the problem

when i push the button half way (not automatic up) it goes up, but after 1 sec or so, it lowers .5 inch and stops (anywhere it might be)

if i use automatic up (button pushed all the way) it does the same thing, unless i hold the button (pushed all the way) until it goes up

Its extremely annoying... what could be wrong?

SUPERCHARGED
01-31-2004, 08:56 PM
i have the same problem with my 328is,

i just got used to it. just thing i never had an automatic option. i just puch it down untill it goes all the way up.

Soldo
01-31-2004, 11:00 PM
the track is gettin worn, i've fixed the same problem but in a different spot, TWICE already, and i have to do it AGAIN!
its such a pain in the ass!

SUPERCHARGED
02-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
the track is gettin worn, i've fixed the same problem but in a different spot, TWICE already, and i have to do it AGAIN!
its such a pain in the ass!

how do you fix it?

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 02:45 PM
E36 Lessons of the day .... Power Windows:

The problem is with the motor shaft.

-- Lesson 1 --

This is how the motor works:

There is a magent on the spindle that determines when the window motor has stopped turning. When it figures out the motor has stopped turning it cuts the power to the motor... (this is how it determines when the window is fully up, or if there is an object blocking the window... such as a child's arm.)

The magnet has fallen (slipped) lower down the shaft so it thinks the motor is done turning all the time. You'll need to take off the liner for your door, take the screws off the motor and push it aside... in a little tiny hole in the bottom left corner where you can see the shaft in the door. Shine a light in there and you'll see the magnet.. use a tiny flat head and push the magnet back up. For extra precaution (what I've done)... put some contact cement on the tip of your screw driver and put some cement on the shaft below the magnet so it can't slip down again.

I can provide some diagrams and better instructions if you need.

-- Lesson 2 --

What Soldomatic is talking about is also a common problem with E36's... warn window tracks. It causes too much friction on the window, so it thinks there is an object blocking the window, so it stops. On the motor harness there is a butterly bracket which you can adjust with a wrench for the window shafts---90% of the time, this will adjust for the warn tracks.. if it doesn't, you'll need to replace them.
Before you replace though--- try using white grease.. (go to your local cdn tire, pep boys, etc... make sure it's WHITE GREASE --- that's the name of it).. and put it on the window tracks with a q-tip. Use a lot. wind the window up and wipe off any grease that's on the window with soapy water.

** note: you can usually tell the difference between the two problems using common sense. If the window stops in the same point(s) while winding up.. the problem is friction in certain points in the track. In which case you use white grease, or adjust the butterfly bracket.. or worst case scenario--replace the tracks. If it stops all the time on it's way up.. (i.e. moves up 3 inches, drops 1 inch.. --press button again-- moves up 3 inches, drops 1 inch... etc.etc.) then it's the magnet on the motor shaft.

-- Lesson 3 --

As for never having a one-touch feature, it's because your motor's timing has went off track. You need to reset the relay... do this by:

1) push down buttonall the way.. until window is down, hold button down for 10 seconds. (this sets the low)...

2) push upbutton---wind window up.. holding button down, not letting go... when window is up, keep button down for 10 seconds again. Ta-da.. your relay has been reset and your one-touch will work once again. (of course you can't do this until you resolve the problem with the magnet on your motor shaft first.)

----

supercharged.. you can bring your E36 over to my place, I'll fix it for ya if you're not comfortable cracking open your interior and playing with your motor... (I'm in Etobicoke)... otherwise, good luck. :)

and for anyone else.. as I said, if you need diagrams or more detailed instructions, just ask.

J

SUPERCHARGED
02-01-2004, 05:40 PM
thanx for the great rightup, Justin

i have the second problem on the list, i think my track is worn out. cause it also makes a screeching sound when the windows going up. so the the friction is stopping it. now i get it. ill try the white stuff :).

thanx*th-up*

328is_Perf
02-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Ok, this is what it does... on its way up it screeches... and it goes up 3 inches and down 1 inch (which happens around when window is half way up, repeatedly after halfway point)....whats your solution?

do you have any diagrams? i would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Soldo
02-01-2004, 08:16 PM
DAMMIT!
i think my tracks need replacing!
Its already the 3rd time its busted, just in a different spot!
Has anyone replaced the tracks on their window, i HATE working in the door, the space is so small i can barely get my hands in there!

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 11:50 PM
... I doubt it's the track that broke again... unlike the lifter mechanism on your sunroof, the tracks (rails) for your window are metal, they should not bend out of shape so easily... I'll bet it's just the butterly bracket that needs adjusting...

Soldo
02-02-2004, 12:51 AM
It might be, ya, it is sorry, i got confused with the butterfly brackets and the track, its the butterfly's that bent, would that be a tough thing to replace!

BMW BMXer
02-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Ya kevs window is knackered. Porr guy hasta open his door in the winter to use the parking pass.

Soldo
02-02-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by BMW BMXer
Ya kevs window is knackered. Porr guy hasta open his door in the winter to use the parking pass.
:( i know its sad!
Whats even worse, is most of the time for DRIVE THROUGH fast food, i roll down the rear drivers side window (THANK GOD i have 4dr.)
Its really pathetic, gotta fix it as soon as the weather warms up, but it just keeps on breaking on me!

Justin e36
02-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Soldomatic:

butterfly brackets bent... my drivers side is bent too... it keeps pushing OUTWARDS as the window rolls up. (doesn't push the window.. it pushed my interior panel a bit...)

I've managed to adjust this as best as I could with the brackets... but sooner or later I will probably have to replace.

For anyone who's interest in what we're talking about. This is the butterly bracket and the adjustment bolts.

This is a pic of the window adjuster... (you loosen the bolt, move the adjuster higher or lower, then tighten. This will adjust your window forward or back.)

Justin e36
02-04-2004, 11:26 PM
butterfly adjustment.

328is_Perf
02-05-2004, 03:24 AM
what about the magnet problem

///MsAniTy
02-05-2004, 03:27 AM
so justin if i brought mine by for the same problem would u fix it and make everything look liek it did before? no braking anything?lol

Soldo
02-05-2004, 03:33 AM
Ya justin, the SECOND picture you posted, is EXACTLY what my problem is, and it cause the scissors to bend, so if i adjust it like you did in the FIRST pic that should make it work?!

IF ONLY i had some space to work with!

Justin e36
02-05-2004, 05:14 PM
yeah on a warm day both of you guys can bring your rides over and I'll fix it up for ya no problem.

Msanity... yeah, no problem. I've torn apart the interior till it's barebones without breaking anything. Mind you, my ride is a sedan... so the panel removal will be slightly different, but i'll be in the Hayes manual anyway. It's very easy to remove actually... just have get to the hidden screws behind the door latch, and the handle on the door... then take off the plastic surround around the latch. (pull the latch and slide the surround off) pry off the mirror control and disconnect. then it's just unclipping it from the door.

Soldomatic... exactly, adjust the first adjustment arm. (the arm can slide up and down maybe around an inch, and re-tighten. The arm controls the angle of the whole window as it goes up and down... so a window would usually look like [ ] going up... but it can tilt the window to \ \ going up. The problem happens when the window is going too much in either direction, the friction caused on the tracks makes the window stop moving. The arm will compensate for that.

328is... I'll post that up in a bit...

Justin e36
02-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Ms... these are the clips on the door...

Justin e36
02-05-2004, 06:44 PM
328is_Perf. I don't have any good photos of the motor of the shaft unfortunately. However, if you look at the 2nd picture I posted. On the left side of the picture in the middle you'll see a black box. That is the motor.

1) Remove plug from motor
2) Remove cover from motor
3) There is a small hole going into your door, if you peer inside you'll see a rod... (The shaft).
4) Look lower down on the rod (it's on an angle) and you'll see a little thing attached to it. That is the magnet that fell.
5) Pull/push the magnet back up to the top of the shaft using a paperclip or whatever you have handy that'll fit in the hole... (the hole is around 1" in cirumference)... it will take some effort to move, since it is friction fitted.
6) Plug motor back in and test it out.
7) Put a little bit of glue or contact cement on the shaft below the magnet to prevent it from slipping down again.
8) Put everything back together.

** if your one-touch does not work, refer to my directions in the first post about resetting the window relay.

Good luck, let me know how it goes...
Justin

Slinky
02-09-2004, 01:56 AM
Hey guys, has anyone checked there door contact switch?? Or window adjustment other than the butterfly lift??

If the genral module doesn't see a closed door (coupes only) or a higher than normal motor loading the motor will run backwards as its tring to protect the drive and window glass. This is also known as the "anti trap" function. I would be checking these few things before i do anything, Slinky

SickFinga
02-09-2004, 03:40 PM
wow Justin, a good write up.

Anyway, had a problem with my driver's side window.
What happened is one of my window regulator's arms bent.

So fix your problem asap guys, because by forcing the window to close, you are bending your window regulator arm.

Get new sliders (white things, that are in the rail) they are like $5 for 4. Grease them up real good, and then try again.

If that wont help, adjust the window regulator.

If that doesnt help, you prolly have a problem with a motor or your window regulator is bent.

Window Regulator cost ~90 bucks, but it is a bitch to replace it, cause you will need a rivet gun, and regular river gun from Crappy Tire is too small.