PDA

View Full Version : All Season Tires in the WINTER?

Soldo
01-31-2004, 09:35 AM
Hey guys, i was just wondering if any of you use an ALL SEASON tire in the winter?
How are they, any problems getting out of snow, braking and steering ok?!
Any help is much appreciated
Thanks guys

Gamite
01-31-2004, 09:36 AM
using all seasons on my dad's E34, they're ALRIGHT, going uphill can be a pain.

MorningCruiser
01-31-2004, 12:22 PM
Ah, in the brief duration that I worked at a tire shop in this past summer (as a favour towards the owner), I questioned this "all season tire" concept because now-adays all winter tires for trucks are marketed as all seasons because they won't sell as winter tires.

The owner remarked "When I started in this business thirty-five years ago, all tires were all season, there were two types of tire rubber, performance and economy spec. Now, there's twenty eight different tire rubbers in total in north america alone. All season tires are a marketing ploy, they're the worst of both worlds, no wet traction, no snow traction, no cold weather braking..."

I actually went through the effort of writing it down as he said it, and believe you me, he's right. I left the summer tires on until a month after the snow started falling here and as the roads got colder and colder, the truck has less and less traction off the line, like I was driving on sheet ice. I put the snow tires on one evening, went out for a spin, and I had no problems whatsoever. The "Summer tires" that I run are Wrangler RT/S tires by the way, and the winters are Michelin LTX M/S.

I really don't mean to post up a huge rant, but IMO, all seasons are a waste of money, just go ahead and buy a good set of summer and a good set of winter tires. If you cannot afford both, get all seasons and then winters and then summer tires. All season tires are notorious for the worst of both world, poor wet surface handling, poor snow handling, poor braking in temperatures below 0*C. If you have the money for winter tires and are wanting good DD characteristics, get the passenger line of michelin M/S tires. I can vouch for their performance, I use them for snow tires for my jeep for winter offroading, the "less agressive than my wife's subaru's tires" michelin m/s tires get further than anything else in the offroad here when there's snow.

*/rantmode*

Justin e36
01-31-2004, 12:42 PM
MorningCruiser explained it perfectly.

I have All Seasons on my Bimmer now... and high-end Potenza's too. (supposedly ranked #1 by TireRack) ... waste of money, not great in the summer, and really awful in the winter. Get a separate pair of summer's... and a separate pair of winter's. It's a much smarter move.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-31-2004, 02:38 PM
got all seasons, they're alright...2nd gear if i floor it at 2000rpm i get no traction, so if u plan on having a heavy foot, even slightly get winters.

bmwm5lover
01-31-2004, 03:16 PM
NO TRACtion whatsoever

djcontra
01-31-2004, 03:21 PM
I bought winters for the first time ever this year, and they made a HUGE difference. i will no longer attempt to drive with all season tires in the snow.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-31-2004, 03:25 PM
hahaha i forgot to add..in the dry, i can do a peel out with my moms MALIBU with all seasons..thats how shit all seasons are in cold weather :P...btw this is with 3/4 throttle..full throttle and i get smoke :D

WhadUpp
01-31-2004, 03:27 PM
I used to use all seasons throughout the year and used to slide and slip like crazy in the winter with absolutely no traction. They really sucked. Finally last year I finally picked up summer tires Toyo T1-S and later in late fall picked up Nordic IceTracks for the winter and let me tell you it was the best thing.

I could'nt believe the difference in traction, I was amazed how better my tires preformed in summer and through rain and how my Nordics performed in the winter with no sliding at all. I highly recommend everyone to have 2 sets of tires, you won't regret it.

Simby
01-31-2004, 03:28 PM
I got all seasons and they're alright. Considering it's winter driving, you don't floor it when you're on snow or ice? If there's tons of snow or it's really icy outside, I don't drive my bimmer so maybe it doens't matter to me as much. If you have snow tires and you runon ice, you're still gonna slip.

WhadUpp
01-31-2004, 03:32 PM
When I used to have all-seasons I used to feel the same way, why bother when all-seasons are good enough, but I no longer feel that way after this and last year's winter where the difference I felt was huge. It's just an added security I feel.

330DTM
01-31-2004, 03:46 PM
I had all seasons on the 328i back then. They were OEM Michelin MXV4 Plus and I did not like them at all. They worked alright on a thin layer of snow, but if the snow gets deep that's when you'll start having problems getting the car to move and worse is if you're starting up hill from a traffic light. It lacks the amount of grip that you can get from winter tires.

I personally think All Seasons are a marketing idea just so that tire companies can expand on their product line and make more sales(???) My opinion is don't cheap out and get a set of winter and summer tires. I mean they're not that expensive and I currently run Nokia Hakkapalatta winter tires on the Volvo. Excellent grip in the snow, but noisy on the highway, not that it bugs me.

WhadUpp
01-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Whoever doesn't have snow tires this the time to buy them cheap for next winter. I'm sure there's alot of great deals out there at this time.

Soldo
01-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Ya, i already have winter and summer tires, i was just askin this cause last night i got ANOTHER flat tire, so now my car has 2 winter tires, and an ALL SEASON spare on it, so now i'm sorta shit outta luck, and i'm considering buying a set of steelies of a member, and the tires are mounted with KUHMO all seasons!
I've driven a few times with all seasons in the summer and i didn't liek them, i was just wondering if they were maybe better in the winter, guess not!

thinair
01-31-2004, 05:10 PM
On my mom's 525 i had to really convince my dad to get winters for it. He says 'what's the point of winter tires, the car has all-seasons, that's good for all year round. What is the point of spending more money on more tires, those tire just just want to lighten my wallet and make more for themselves'

So I had to be more persuasive, I respond with the 'how can you put a price on mom's life when winter tires are safer'. So then we go out and get winter tires and steelies. :)

My dad drove the car and it blew his mind, he's hooked, no more all seasons.

All-seasons are ok until you've driven winters, then you'll wonder how you got by.

SeRb
01-31-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 328DTM

I personally think All Seasons are a marketing idea just so that tire companies can expand on their product line and make more sales(???)

isn't the point of every business decision to expand product line and make more money?

i have all-seasons on my 626, and theres like 95k on them. . .

during the snow storm i had to go buy some stuff for my parents and if ur careful its not that bad, its just getting the car to move in deep snow from a stop that is so ****ed, you gotta know what ur doin or ur just gonna spin out

my opinion is wether u have all seasons or winters, if u dont know how to drive they aint gonna do shit

ez

330DTM
01-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by SeRb

my opinion is wether u have all seasons or winters, if u dont know how to drive they aint gonna do shit

ez

Actually I don't fully agree with you on that.
It is more tricky to get the car going with all seasons but when you're in deep snow, all seasons and winters makes a difference. Winters vs. All Season makes a difference in terms of overall braking distance and cornering abilities in snow & or ice.

Heck, even my friend with his A4 Quattro drove in the snow with summer Dunlop SP8000 tires (less than 50% tread left on all tires) to my house two winters ago. The Quattro helped him start from a stop through the moderate to deep snow, but accelerating up to speed and braking distance required more time.

SeRb
01-31-2004, 07:48 PM
Actually I don't fully agree with you on that.
It is more tricky to get the car going with all seasons but when you're in deep snow, all seasons and winters makes a difference. Winters vs. All Season makes a difference in terms of overall braking distance and cornering abilities in snow & or ice.

Heck, even my friend with his A4 Quattro drove in the snow with summer Dunlop SP8000 tires (less than 50% tread left on all tires) to my house two winters ago. The Quattro helped him start from a stop through the moderate to deep snow, but accelerating up to speed and braking distance required more time.

thats true, thats why u have to adjust accordingly when you're driving according to the conditions, and if u have all season tired u have to be even more careful because you do need more space to stop and more time to get going

but i mean just cuz u have snow tires doesnt mean ur gonna be safe on snow right? you still have to know what you're doing, i mean theres situations in which u will get when driving whether u have all-seasons or winters that u have to know how to get out of

i wouldn't know the difference because this is my first winter driving and the tires that happen to be on there are all seasons so im more used to them

betmen
01-31-2004, 08:18 PM
go5t all seasons, cant complain, they work good for me

Soldo
01-31-2004, 09:57 PM

Heck, even my friend with his A4 Quattro drove in the snow with summer Dunlop SP8000 tires (less than 50% tread left on all tires) to my house two winters ago. The Quattro helped him start from a stop through the moderate to deep snow, but accelerating up to speed and braking distance required more time. :D
My buddy with the A4 is doing the SAME thing, and he wonders why his car SUCKSSS in the winter!
hehe
I have blizzaks on my car now (well......2 left) and i KNOW theres a HUGE difference between winter and AS, i was just seeing if i can SETTLE with them till the end of the winter!

///MsAniTy
01-31-2004, 11:10 PM
im ridin all seasons and their alright u just gotta watch out what your doin and pay more attention but other then that thier prety godo if i may say

Trix0r
01-31-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm running Summer tires.

They suck.

///MsAniTy
01-31-2004, 11:26 PM
trixor your an idiot:D

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 11:53 PM
lol

Jammasterj
02-02-2004, 10:28 PM