PDA

View Full Version : New Chip Review

Furious
05-09-2002, 12:54 AM
well i got my chip installed and all i have to say is awesome!,,, i found that the car is much much smoother and much more responsive. the power is definately noticeable,, i thank MarkD for the great and swift installation and politeness. and i recommend anyone with a stock BMW to get a hold of MarkD,, you cant beat the prices and the chip is awesome,, i got a estimated gain of 19HP and 20ftlbs....

Gamite
05-09-2002, 08:22 AM
what kinda chip was it?

djcontra
05-09-2002, 08:38 AM
I might as well write my review here as well!
I got markd's chip around 12:30pm yesterday, and mark was more than helpfull with removing and installing DME. He programmed the chip for me, and answered a few questions i had (just because i was a bit worried about certain things such as fuel etc), and then we went for about a 15minute test drive to make sure everything was ok. I could tell mark wasn't too sure what I would expect because my car is an automatic, but let me tell you, if you've got an auto and find it's a slug off the line, this chip made the world of difference! My car DEFINATELY had more torque. I have no hesitation at all off the line, and i can mash the pedal and get instant power (which is amazing! it's like having a new car!).
I'll agree with furious, the car definately runs smoother, and idles alot quieter. The thing i like, is when i accellerate in sport mode, the engine sounds amazing! I always thought my exhaust made my car sound good, but not this good =) The major improvement for me was that since i got my exhaust and my rims, (and expecially with my rims), i felt alot of low end power loss. I could feel the weight of my wheels making the car slower, and my exhaust didn't help that either. Since the chip was installed, it's almost like the weight of my rims isn't affecting anything anymore! I can only imagine what it would be like with lightweight wheels! I'd probably be able to spin the tires at the start line =)
I'm not sure how much HP or Torque it's increased, as i'm not sure how to guesstimate that, but i know that out of all my bolt on upgrades, this one made the most difference.
I'm going to have to say it was definately worth my money. And mark is a great guy, and knows what he's doing with these chips.

*th-up*

P.S. this is just a review after some short drives, i have yet to take it on my 2hour highway trip tonight or tomorrow, i can't wait =)

Furious
05-09-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
what kinda chip was it?

well it was made buy a guy in toronto,, kinda of a custom chip you could say...btw- dj contra good to hear,, glad you liked the improvment too,,now wheres Harry? he got his in just before i did,,,, he said he noticed an improvement as well but was running crappy gas so i wanna know how it turned out after he put in some 91 octane or more.....

Jari
05-09-2002, 09:56 PM
all right,, this sounds great. How does one get in contact with this MarkD . Does he do chips for e30 ? (mine is an 87 325i)

how much was the chip, programming and installation ?

Harry
05-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Hi everybody!!

I must say, get the chip. Its great. I got my chip from Mark at about 5 yesterday and made an hour long drive home afterward. The car runs smoother, the engine is quieter and the power is truly noticeable. I have noticed that the gas mileage has improved slightly, which is good considering my foot was to the floor most the way home.*devil*

Mark knows whats going on. He showed me the process that he uses to make the chips and I was impressed, very smart man.

I do believe that he can do the e30, this thread (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2637&goto=newpost) to get his info.

BTW, I drive a 1995 320i, and mark is the only guy in north america that I've been in contact with that got me a chip at an affordable price. Cheers

djcontra
05-09-2002, 10:50 PM
that's great to hear! i wasn't sure what was going to happen with the 320i chip. I can't comment on the gas mileage because since i filled my tank again yesterday with 91 octane gas to rid myself of the 89 octane that was in there, and i've been pretty much flooring the car a whole bunch today to try out the new found power. Needless to say i think i wasted a bunch of fuel but it was pretty fun skidding around at lunch time on the wet pavement =)

i'll do my gas mileage test on the trip to wasaga

Furious
05-10-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Jari
all right,, this sounds great. How does one get in contact with this MarkD . Does he do chips for e30 ? (mine is an 87 325i)

how much was the chip, programming and installation ?

hi and yes im sure he can do a E30,,, to contact markD you can send him an email,,just find him in the memebers link, on the banner,, and also GLad to here that car was running good Harry....
mark

Razkal
05-10-2002, 09:39 AM
I am going to get mine done too soon!

Lil'Smoothie
05-10-2002, 10:35 AM
Yeah he did my E30 yesterday, and I'm a litle unsure what it has done, it does seem a little more responsive and quick, but I havent noticed a huge diference, i gotta give it a few more days tho, and really drive it and see. Mark was really good tho..........

djcontra
05-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Did you go from stock to his chip or dinan to his chip?
How would you compare the two so far?

I'm sure if you went from dinan to his there'd be less noticable difference, but from stock to chipped there is quite a change i feel.

Lil'Smoothie
05-10-2002, 01:55 PM
i went from stock to his chip, i didnt have my dinan installed, i tihnk the e36 chips are just more aggressive

The Due
05-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Does this Markd do OBDII chips?
thanks*smoke*

Razkal
05-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Hi all,

I am getting my chip done today after 4pm. I will keep you posted!

Can't wait!

djcontra
05-10-2002, 03:04 PM
The Due: i think with OBDII you need a shark injector.
You're lucky, cause with one of those you can tweak it yourself as much as you'd like.
You'll have to ask to see if he does that sort of thing, i dont know, i didn't see anything like that in his workshop, but who knows

Razkal
05-10-2002, 03:43 PM
hey guys,

I am going to hold off on the chip until I get my gas tank lower. I have a full tank of silver now and with the chip, you need to run 91 so I will do it within the next few days....

I want to avoid pinging and such... I can wait a few more days ( i hope) hahah....

The Due
05-10-2002, 05:03 PM
I like the idea of the shark injector, but that $400 price is a little tough to swallow right now. *smoke*

Divac
05-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Has he made an e30 chip yet? It will only add to the :puke: Honda killing in my town (b/c everyone with a "pipe" thinks it adds 200 hp).

silversled
05-15-2002, 01:46 AM
I am sure that MarkD's chip is good, but I have a Turner/Jim conforti chip for sale, makes great gains.

I don't know anyone that has a chip from Mark, so I cannot comment.

I would love to compare the 2 though.

If interested e-mail me @ bmwmotorsport@Canada.com

GladdoM3
05-15-2002, 01:36 PM
Why dont you guys use 94 octane from Sunoco ?? That is the best fuel that i have used ! It runs very clean and you can feel the difference ! Then add some 104+ Octane Boost into the mix and BAM ! Trust me ...you'll feel it for yourself !

djcontra
05-15-2002, 01:39 PM
maybe i'll do that for saturday's trip
does it cost alot more?

The Due
05-15-2002, 02:01 PM
A little bit more than 93, but I think its worth it. Whenever I see a Sunoco i go fill up. Ultra 94........

GladdoM3
05-15-2002, 03:11 PM
You will not feel as much of a difference as you want to but it is much better for your car .....especially when its running cleaner and more efficiently !!! I wont fill my car up with anything less than 94 @ Sunoco. !!!My car idles alot smoother now also ~!

Furious
05-15-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by GladdoM3
You will not feel as much of a difference as you want to but it is much better for your car .....especially when its running cleaner and more efficiently !!! I wont fill my car up with anything less than 94 @ Sunoco. !!!My car idles alot smoother now also ~!

i prefer anything over 91 (well now especially with the new chip and all),,but i only go to the newer gas stations,, where the tanks (underground) are relativly new,, old gas stations could have old tanks with cracks leaking water or corrosion etc etc,, not good for my car,,so new gas station 91 octane is better than a run down old station with 94 in my opinion,,

GladdoM3
05-16-2002, 09:03 AM
Run down ??

I will only fill up @ NEW sunoco's ......I know i dont need/want the shit in my engine :p

Furious
05-16-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by GladdoM3
Run down ??

I will only fill up @ NEW sunoco's ......I know i dont need/want the shit in my engine :p

i agree,, and was stating a point ,, not saying you get shit gas,,lol,,,all the sunnocos out my way are kinda old,, some new ones just have to find them

thinair
05-16-2002, 06:33 PM
You realized that most gas stations have plastic tanks and plastic pipes, and two filters at each pump, unless there's water in the gas, you're not going to get much in the way of solid particles in the fuel. Plus the car has a fuel filter anyway.

Furious
05-16-2002, 07:21 PM
most gas stations not all, i remember when there was a problem with the gas at the esso on O'connor and Coxwell, because of water in the tank,, anyways the tank was steel,,

thinair
05-16-2002, 09:50 PM
True, you'd be suprised how many gas stations have water in the tanks. It's actually not that big of a deal, the water doesn't mix with gasoline so it doesn't get pumped (unless it's a huge amount of water)

NeeDiT
05-23-2002, 03:31 PM
Ultra 94 is not that good because they use alcohol to boost the octane rating - no good. same for Petro Canada ultraclean - a lot of alcohol in it - i guess it's good for winter as it lowers the freezing point but that's about it. as far as quality gas is concerned use shell optimax or esso's 92 gas.

my 0.02

Furious
05-24-2002, 07:48 AM
well gas is gas,, and its all expensive to me,, especially since i travel over 250kms a day,,,,

djcontra
05-24-2002, 08:34 AM
:eek: shit that's alot
i thought it was bad enough for me driving from scarborough to dundas and kipling every day for work. I hate city driving! And i've realized that traffic jams only occur not because of volume (otherwise the left lane would still be able to go the speed limit), it's because of crazy drivers and people who are paranoid of driving so they drive slow. aargh! i hate it!

but where do you go that puts on 250km a day??

Furious
05-25-2002, 12:28 PM
well i work in toronto around vic-park and eglington,, and have to come all the way in from newcastle which is basically where the 401 meets the 115/35 cutoff......so its like 100kms in ans 100kms out,, plus all the stupid little driving i do at night....................:confused:

ale
06-05-2002, 02:24 PM
I'm interested in getting a chip but I need to now who this markd is an how I can get ahold of him. Give me a buzz a 416 737-4496
I'd really like to talk and see if you can make me a custom chip to my specs. Thanks Alex.

Jesse
06-05-2002, 09:04 PM
Harry - I also have a 95 (325i) - how did you get by the security option that BMW added in the 95 year? Mark told me that he has difficulty making chips for this year. :rolleyes:

Mark said that the way to check is to see if you have this type of ignition... then you know you have the security option.

... How did you get around this problem?

Thx.

Jesse

Harry
06-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Ale, marks e-mail

mark@dsylva-tech.ca

S for the security feature, i am nor aware of that. mark simply removed the chip for me from the DME and reprogrammed it with the new information.

Furious
06-06-2002, 11:32 PM
any questions that people may have about the chips,, just ask MarkD hes a very knowledgable guy and very nice as well,, use the email addy in the thread above me posted by harry.....