PDA

View Full Version : Gauges work on and off........

BMW_M52_M20
01-29-2004, 04:38 AM
Well the good old e30 is a bit weird when it comes to proper function of the gauges.
The Vaccum gauge has never worked since I have bought the car, and for some reason for a full day it worked and now it doesn't.
My RPM gauge tends to stop working periodically (usually if car is driven more the 30mins) and the coolant gauge sometimes just shoots past the red but when I hit the cluster, the coolant gauge works.........

The speedo works fine and so does the gas gauge, it is the right half of my gauges which work intermittently.........
Anyone got suggestions?
Thanks
Jay

Albertae30
01-29-2004, 06:43 AM
had this prob with my e30 just last month it was the alternator was going so i replaced this and the ground wire from the alt and it worked perfectly no probs

BMW_M52_M20
01-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Funny that you say that, the first day after I replaced my battery, all the gauges worked fine.

Christ, I hope my alternator isn't going, more$$$$$$$$$$
Jay

Albertae30
01-29-2004, 08:56 PM
its not that much but i would fix it quick cause it will give you now warning and just quite you wont know it and then be driving down the street gauges go wacky and then it dies

MatyBMW
02-04-2004, 04:23 PM
My spedometre sometimes doesn't work properly. If I replace the battery, could it solve my problem?

BladeRunner
02-04-2004, 05:36 PM
might be your board and battery, my speedo doesn work which causes my MPG not to work. My tach is ok I use that when I drive usually 2kRPM in 5th means +/-50mph so 2.5k would be 60... Then again could be completely contact related.

yup had that happen to my mom and i driving down HWY and car just goes rurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr stop. she tried flooring it but it was to late. i think the alt killed her practically new car battery.

BLAGUSS
02-04-2004, 05:50 PM
if rpm gauge does not work then try to knock it. Same on mine car I knocked on rpm gauge and it works.

NickP
02-05-2004, 01:54 AM
Sounds like its the 2 batteries on you board... they're replaceable if you're handy with a soldering iron.

How are your service indicator lights working?

BMW_M52_M20
02-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Service indicator doesn't work at all, the oil service is on all the time and I have tried to reset it with the tool, but it doesn't work.......
Jay

BladeRunner
02-06-2004, 02:34 AM
the batterys are not sold seperate from the board. I was quoted $200 for board and batterys. you could always go the DIY way with soldering and desoldering tools.

LukeE30IX
02-06-2004, 05:41 AM
When gauges start to go all nutty and stop working, most of the time its the grounds, your tach is connected to the distributer. Check all the grounds from your block to your fire wall or chassis, and your alternator to your block.

MatyBMW
02-06-2004, 10:15 PM
if anybody wants the batteries unsoldered and resoldered i can do it for you for $40 bux.. let me know

NickP
02-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
the batterys are not sold seperate from the board. I was quoted $200 for board and batterys. you could always go the DIY way with soldering and desoldering tools.

You can get the proper batteries at any hobby store...

Here's a link to a DIY replacement

Link (http://e30m3performance.com/maintenance/SI_Board/SI_Board.htm)

BMW_M52_M20
02-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by NickP
You can get the proper batteries at any hobby store...

Here's a link to a DIY replacement

Link (http://e30m3performance.com/maintenance/SI_Board/SI_Board.htm)

Thats some good info! Thanks!
Jay

BladeRunner
02-08-2004, 07:33 PM
I was looking for that site a few days ago because a few of my bubls in the cluster have bought the farm or atleast the connectors are loose.

Thanks man/lady

Jammasterj
02-12-2004, 06:45 AM
yeah man i would think it would be the grounds going.
if you need the sodering iron my dad has a professional one (god knows why, not like hes ever used it) but you can borrow it if needed.
but try replacing the grounds. who knows really. it could be a million things