PDA

View Full Version : E36 Turbo KITS ... CHEAP!!

328is_Perf
01-29-2004, 03:40 AM
I found this ... whats you all's opinions

Turbo kits for stock engines

http://www.turbo-kits.com/325_turbo_kits.html

M3 .. OBDI 3.0 (maybe works for 3.2 also)
http://www.turbo-kits.com/m3_turbo_kits.html

I'm really considering buying one of these kits ... opinions???

how fast will my 328is be after the extreme turbo conversion?

Jon@Bimmersport
01-29-2004, 04:06 AM
t25 turbo? haha u;ll be fully spooled at IDLE..that turbo is tiny as my hand..i can get one for like $125..its basically a stock mitsu eclipse/eagle talon turbo...

BMW_M52_M20
01-29-2004, 04:09 AM
mitstubishi turbo's are nice when they work. My friends stealth Twin Turbo had both Turbo shot at 110,00kms.......
Jay

BMW_M52_M20
01-29-2004, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by 328is_Perf
I found this ... whats you all's opinions

Turbo kits for stock engines

http://www.turbo-kits.com/325_turbo_kits.html

M3 .. OBDI 3.0 (maybe works for 3.2 also)
http://www.turbo-kits.com/m3_turbo_kits.html

I'm really considering buying one of these kits ... opinions???

how fast will my 328is be after the extreme turbo conversion?

No 323 turbo kits...........

trev0006
01-29-2004, 07:18 PM
you beter know what you are doing when installing a turbo kit, there is also engine management to think about(ECU) fuel/timing in the key factor, or else KABOOM*wave*

jm1602
01-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by trev0006
you beter know what you are doing when installing a turbo kit, there is also engine management to think about(ECU) fuel/timing in the key factor, or else KABOOM*wave*

You can't just slap one of those on your lump without dealing with the above mentioned as well as compression.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-29-2004, 07:39 PM
i think an M50 can handle about 8psi of boost...but a thicker head gasket puts the compression down a bit, which u should do at least

328is_Perf
01-29-2004, 10:34 PM
How about the M52 engine? 328is...

JazzM
01-29-2004, 11:33 PM
328is_perf... you need proper tunning... that's worth at least a 1/4 of the price that you pay for a good, solid kit... I just ordered an AA supercharger kit for my z3 2.8 (97). It's being custom tunned by AA for the M50 manifold, M3 cams, headers and exhaust! Otherwise you'll end up putting in too much air and thus running lean which will blow up your engine. I ended up paying around 5K USD, though I could have bought an untunned vortech kit for 3,500 USD and spent a good 800 USD for software (AA) and another couple hundred on dyno time.

If you want to do things properly you need solid and reliable tunning. That's why the kits are so expensive in our situation. I believe the key phrase is <b>"big power, reliablity, price - choose 2"</b>

Best regards,

Best regards,

T.

djcontra
01-29-2004, 11:48 PM
the kit is designed to run without software it looks like. At 6psi, you shouldn't really have a need to change the software anyway (heck, that's what I think I'm running at without any software upgrade) All you need is a fuel management unit to piggyback until you run some higher boost.
I wouldn't spend a dime on the kit shown though because it looks like you'll end up replacing most of it with new parts anyway (like a bigger turbo, better piping, ecu upgrade, etc etc etc) which will cost thousands more ontop. You might as well just buy a proper kit. Sometimes I wish I bought a properly tuned kit because I am spending at least a couple grand more ontop of what I paid for my s/c kit just to get it working efficiently. Regardless of the extra cost though, in the end it will out perform a stock AA supercharger kit.

paul
01-30-2004, 12:47 AM
from what i know so far buy a aa kit. i love mine *th-up*

Jon@Bimmersport
01-30-2004, 02:27 AM
u got an AA turbo paul? check ur pm

Turkish
01-30-2004, 07:47 PM
what about the 318is 4 pots?

328is_Perf
01-31-2004, 07:44 PM
ok.... here's my summary... I dont want to put more than 8psi ever... i dont want to change internals... i just want something to put onto the stock engine....

and i dont want to spend more than 3000 USD.... is it possible?
little turbo means less turbo lag...

Yet i dont get why u have to do so much tuning to it... is that just messing with the boost and fuel?

i dont want to get too complicated... lets see a 1984 MB 300SD turbo diesel (my dad has one) doesnt have all these and im willing to bet its running at least 6psi.. whats the big difference

Jon@Bimmersport
01-31-2004, 08:42 PM
u need tuning because, with a turbo ur going to be pushing more air into the engine, now what controls the amount of fuel? the ECU..so u need it reprogrammed to add the proper amount of fuel, to the amount of air that goes in...so u maintain a bigger version of ur previous a/f ratio...having more air and less fuel will cause ur engine to run lean, thats why u tune it.

your saying ur dads turbo diesel doesnt have all that? well think about it..without the turbo raising the compression, the diesel's compression is small..it NEEDS to the turbo to run normal, it doesnt have a big intercooler cuz u dont need one, and then it DOES have a tuned ECU, but mercedes has these pre-programmed like any other ECU for their cars.

no more than 8psi ever? trust me...u will have 8psi..then get bored of the power, like your bored of your current power. if you want something with no lag, and less maintance, get a supercharger.

paul
01-31-2004, 11:05 PM
i pm you back :moon:

328is_Perf
02-01-2004, 07:14 PM
cool info E46_Lover ...

can the Dinan Software for supercharger do the trick for the ECU?

and the reason im not looking into supercharging is that that costs a whole lot more ... im looking at spending maximum 3,000 USD

djcontra
02-01-2004, 07:46 PM
just buy the kit, and let us all know the results *th-up*

97 Z3 2.8
02-04-2004, 05:07 PM
O.K.- Brass tax time....

1. ECU controls fuel: True, but the second system listed on this site uses a piggyback and second set of injectors to supply the fuel. This works, but it's a hack. What really needs to be done is re-engineering the fuel maps, and larger (30 to 36lb) injectors. The timing would also need to be fine tuned to prevent detonation. Without proper fuel supply, yes it will be lean.. then pop- time for a new lump.

2. Diesel compression small- Untrue. Diesel's commonly run on 20:1 compression. My old TDI Jetta ran 22:1 compression. Diesel is just predetermined detonation. Turbo helps the effiecieny and torque of a deisel, but it is not required to run.

3. Intercooler not needed: True, dependand on boost. As boost levels rise the temperature also rises. It is positive for any turbo system to have an intercooler, the bigger the better. A lower temp intake charge is always preferred. So, on a low boost application you may be able to get away without one, but having one will only make your system more complete.

4. Pre tuned ECU on Benz TD. Yes, the factory system is optimized, but this system was not added as an afterthought- it was designed as part of the original car at the time of manufacture. When you add power to any engine, wheather it be normally aspirated or forced induction proper tuning is necessary. Ever put pipes on a bike or sled?

Dinan SC SFW- No this will not work. The best cheap system is A, used AA system or B, RMS with AA tuning. I wouldn't suggest to anyone they buy this system. It's a cheap hack, and as djcontra stated you'd end up replacing, and improving this system so much that you'd be better off doing it right the first time.

Bill

328is_Perf
02-04-2004, 10:52 PM
There's exactly what i wanted to hear.... good logical info