PDA

View Full Version : with all respect to my old bimmer

blackshark
01-28-2004, 06:00 AM
It really really sucks on the snow even with snow tires on
and my old 86 vw is da shit front tires are different size they almost bald rear is bald and it handles like an army APC on the snow.

Slowered318
01-28-2004, 06:06 AM
Thoes 635's are a big heavy car.. should grip good in the snow?

I wouldn't drive in the snow anyways cause i like the old bimmers too much. But try a few bags of dirt in the trunk and some kick ass winter tires.. even if it spins atleast you have the advantage of RWD fun.. i donno why people complain aobut that.. it's a lot of fun when you get the hang of it.

Drive a big FWD car (like a buick) in the snow and tell me if you like it better.. i personally hate the way they pull the front all over the place when they catch a little traction.

blackshark
01-28-2004, 06:13 AM
Well it has Michelin alpins and fishtailing is cool but when it gets to little hill it just spins ain't going nowhere and i have to drive
BACKWARDS :) to get up the hill so umm it drives me nuts sometimes and my vw u can hit the snow piles drift in to the turn
all kinds of crazy shit
P.S i donít drive it in winter only out of curiosity i had to see how it drives on the snow

blackshark
01-28-2004, 06:18 AM
my super does not understand why i am no driving my beloved sixer during winter he thinks it is piece of shit (literally )
This dude is funny he owned a honda civic ones and that makes
him say that all german cars are garbage
some day he will really piss me of and his 20 year old blazer will
not start for some unknown reason :)

Gamite
01-28-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Slowered318
Thoes 635's are a big heavy car.. should grip good in the snow?

I wouldn't drive in the snow anyways cause i like the old bimmers too much. But try a few bags of dirt in the trunk and some kick ass winter tires.. even if it spins atleast you have the advantage of RWD fun.. i donno why people complain aobut that.. it's a lot of fun when you get the hang of it.

Drive a big FWD car (like a buick) in the snow and tell me if you like it better.. i personally hate the way they pull the front all over the place when they catch a little traction.

PFTH, my car is 4000 lbs, and it can't do shit in the snow.. no traction whatsoever. RWD is really at a dissability.. cept when u wanna have some fun. ;)

Slowered318
01-28-2004, 06:54 AM
i donno.. never had a problem with an (not lowered) bmw in the winter.. in fact i drove through many horrible storms in my stock 325 back in the day.. i always got me where i wanted to go..

but each to their own.. i just don't like the FWD stuff for many reasons.

blacknblue-e30
01-28-2004, 07:41 AM
People complain about rear wheel simply because i think they dont know how to properly control and manuver the car properly.

Once you get the hang of rear wheel, it is a load of fun, and with a little bit of weight and some good tires compounded with correct speeds, it really isnt that bad of a ride in the winter.

chromius
01-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Personnaly I like RWD as long as it has a Limited Slip....without it don't even bother...I took my friends Bimmer out for a spin, Almost the same car as mine but without the LSD option, and I must of sat at a light for 30sec just trying to get going in the snow, tried starting in 1st gear, tried starting in 2nd gear....and nothing.

But with mine I love it....once you get a hang for it, I like it much more than FWD, It seems much more controlable. even if it does fishtail a little, its easy to recover

85eta
01-28-2004, 03:41 PM
I just bought snowies for my car and it is great in the snow? tons of traction. I haven't even put any weight in my trunk yet. I'll take rear drive before front drive ANY DAY.

Mystikal
01-28-2004, 07:47 PM
It's all in the LSD. RWD + open rear = big trouble.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-28-2004, 07:49 PM
i have all seasons, LSD...and a few dirt bags in the rear..but it doesnt help...remember the 3 way run mystikal? E30 has no traction in this weather, even in 2nd gear at like 2000rpm if i tap the gas they spin. its so fun.

bmwm5lover
01-28-2004, 07:56 PM
BMW's SUCK In the snow.. I got stuck 50 times yesterday. anything from my driveway, to going at a green light, to stop signs, and small hills..... My e30 is actually a BIT better with all season than my e28 was with winters all the way around... go figure, but they sure as hell are fun....:)
Its all in th gas/clutch skills ;)

Mystikal
01-28-2004, 08:12 PM
It's just plain physics. E30's are light, and only 48% of their already light weight is on the drive wheels. It just won't accelerate like other cars.

That said, you both need to be slapped for even thinking of running all-seasons. *no-no*

Jon@Bimmersport
01-28-2004, 08:24 PM
oh ya, mr. winter tires here had traction too :rolleyes:

its not like i have hit anything, or come close to it..in that blizzard in the past day we had it wasnt that hard..i jus needed to relax when driving, lol..and go very very easy on the throttle

Mystikal
01-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
oh ya, mr. winter tires here had traction too :rolleyes:

It's hard to hook up when you got all this power under the hood. :cool:

e24_635csi
01-28-2004, 11:23 PM
I just wouldnt drive the 6 in the snow... im sure it would be fun but im not gonna try it. lol buy a truck... those work in snow

Hardcore328is
01-29-2004, 12:47 AM
RWD is fun as hell in the snow.... Doing fish tails or donuts are the best.

Justin e36
01-29-2004, 11:43 PM
I enjoy RWD... but then again, RWD is all I know. :) Never owned a FWD. I firmly believe that all the fish tailing and spinning tires in snow in the end, will make you a better more precise driver. You'll understand the physics of your vehicle better, how to handle her better... and when it comes time to throw her on the track... you'll be as fine tuned as your german engineered beast.