PDA

View Full Version : E30 or E36 conundrum

audiophilia
01-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi Guys:

My buddy has a cool E30. It needs quite a bit of work, say 3 Gs. He's got 10Gs burning a hole in his pocket, really wanting an E36.

Please vote your suggestion. Many thanks...

Gamite
01-27-2004, 08:19 PM
If he really wants an E36, and he's got the money for it, I say go for it. He won't regret it.

He won't regret keeping the E30 either, but if an E36 is what he wants, he's not gonna go wrong.

Mystikal
01-27-2004, 08:32 PM
At that price point, I'd much rather take a pristine E30 rather than a low-end E36. But then again, I do believe it is a better car in almsot every respect that matters.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
At that price point, I'd much rather take a pristine E30 rather than a low-end E36. But then again, I do believe it is a better car in almsot every respect that matters.

ditto....

thanks to mystikal, i have a TOTALLY new appreciation to pristine E30's..i drove his..everything stock and smooth and rides like a dream..love it! i was so tempted to rip it for ur intake, but i wouldnt be able to drive from all the bruises i'd get *shiner*

Miguel
01-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Is an E30 M3 a possibility? one of the best BMW's ever made IMO.

Mystikal
01-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by E46_lover
ditto....

thanks to mystikal, i have a TOTALLY new appreciation to pristine E30's..i drove his..everything stock and smooth and rides like a dream..love it! i was so tempted to rip it for ur intake, but i wouldnt be able to drive from all the bruises i'd get *shiner*

Ha, I was watching you pretty good in the rear view of the E46. It's all good man, I trusted you enough to drive it without me, a first for anyone. Circumstances I guess though. :D

Come spring we'll go on a real test drive. ;)

bmwm5lover
01-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Jay, do i get to drive it? ;)

Mystikal
01-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
Jay, do i get to drive it? ;)

Maybe if you actually made it to meets you could. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/squintfinger.gif

bmwm5lover
01-27-2004, 11:20 PM
Maybe if you actually made it to meets you could. http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/squintfinger.gif
starting next week...

Mystikal
01-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
starting next week...

Oh, you gonna tell the girl you have to wash your moms feet or something? *uzi*

Seriously though, Jon says you're gonna head those ways on Friday night. I'll drop by. *smoke*

bmwm5lover
01-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Oh, you gonna tell the girl you have to wash your moms feet or something? *uzi*

Seriously though, Jon says you're gonna head those ways on Friday night. I'll drop by. *smoke*
I dont get it...:huh?:

go here http://maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=296558#post296558

DAM
01-27-2004, 11:38 PM
buy the white e30 in the for sale threads, it is such a nice car for good moeny

audiophilia
01-28-2004, 12:13 AM
Okeedokee, back to the task at hand! My buddy really needs your input. Many thanks to those who voted. Much appreciated. Keep 'em comin'!

I did suggest to him that 10 might be a bit low for a reliable E36. If he can find something reliable, I'd grab the E36 in an instant. However, his steel gray E30 is very cool. He's had some work done (the car only cost him 2500!!!) -- shift bushings, speedo, control arms, some sqeals looked after (parts from Shantaram, work by Auto Trends -- he finds Shantaram very odd and Auto Trends fantastic!). Needs body work, window reg and timing belt.

Anyway, he closed a huge deal today and wants to celebrate with an E36. It'll be hard to convince him otherwise, but I've told him how much you guys know about the E30 and E36 (less about the glorious E46:P )...

Mystikal
01-28-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by audiophilia
I did suggest to him that 10 might be a bit low for a reliable E36. If he can find something reliable, I'd grab the E36 in an instant. However, his steel gray E30 is very cool. He's had some work done (the car only cost him 2500!!!) -- shift bushings, speedo, control arms, some sqeals looked after (parts from Shantaram, work by Auto Trends -- he finds Shantaram very odd and Auto Trends fantastic!). Needs body work, window reg and timing belt.

Anyway, he closed a huge deal today and wants to celebrate with an E36. It'll be hard to convince him otherwise, but I've told him how much you guys know about the E30 and E36 (less about the glorious E46:P )...

Auto Trend? Good guys down there. Don is a baahd mon. *th-up*

I bet my E46 knowledge surpasses yours. ;)

notmpowered
01-28-2004, 01:44 AM
A 10000 dollar e30 will blow away a 10000 dollar e36. They are very fun cars. An e36 is fun no doubt but it has a bit more watered down feeling(although that is due to it having better technology)

Jon@Bimmersport
01-28-2004, 01:46 AM
ya terry cuz u told me fri nite we should have wat was gonna happen today (WAS going to...jay *mumble* ) lol jk...

so he got the E36?

audiophilia
01-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Auto Trend? Good guys down there. Don is a baahd mon. *th-up*

I bet my E46 knowledge surpasses yours. ;)

I doubt it very much. I know more about the E46 than the BMW engineers...:cool: :) :D

audiophilia
01-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by notmpowered
A 10000 dollar e30 will blow away a 10000 dollar e36. They are very fun cars. An e36 is fun no doubt but it has a bit more watered down feeling(although that is due to it having better technology)

I think the main priority is reliablility. Not terribly exciting, I know, but a need as a daily driver...

MorningCruiser
01-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Well, look at it from my perspective:

I want a summer daily driver, aswell as a fairly good track car, but something that looks amazing. Now, I cannot afford to buy an E30 M3 just for the shell...

I honest to God LOVE the E30 M3, but the normal E30 lacks the style those wide fenders do. I still love the E30 though, I love the E36 aswell. A body kit on an E36 is almost promised to look better than on an E30, very few E30 kits I've seen appeal to me and don't have a retro 80s look. So that puts the E36 at an advantage.

Reliability? Doesn't really matter, it's getting a 3.2 Euro swap sooner or later (and yes, a real 3.2E). Parts reliability? Doesn't really matter either, if I can't find a good strong part, I'll have one custom made or do it myself.

Suspension Modification? Hands down E36, it's not a pain for coilover conversion like the E30 is... The E36 generally speaking has more suspension options aswell. However, if you have a good E30 suspension setup, it will destroy any E36 setup that isn't track specific. Just a matter of money and knowhow.

Interior? Admittedly, E36, I just, don't like the lay of the E30 interior. I don't like the look either, but to me, doesn't matter much, especially considering it probably won't be factory at all anyways.

Weight? Well, about the same in the weight department, but the E30 will weigh in lighter every time I believe.

annnnnd, last but not least

Performance? Well, if you want bolt ons and stuff, doing a 3.2E swap into a 92 318is could be a world of difference. Even things like being able to buy pre-made exhausts can change a person's mind.

Heritage and "once it's done" quality all around? E30, hands down.

Honestly, there's positives and negatives to everything, for a good DD, save up another couple grand, and get a nice E36, will be far more reliable than an E30, and parts are cheaper. Admittedly if he gets a 92 325 instead of a 91, obviously it won't be much different for reliability, but I'm talking 94,95ish E36 versus 89ish E30. Six years is a lot of difference...

Personally? I'd not worry about performance or handling, but more the look that he wants. If he likes the E36 look, get an E36, if he likes the E30 look, get an E30. Honestly if you're building a car where it NEEDS the best suspension, and you're gonna complain about parts that are NOT available in the aftermarket, you shouldn't be building something requiring the BEST parts. If you want the best, get it all custom made from titanium and cf.

Personally, I'd go E36 for a DD that isn't gonna be done up huge.

Sorry about my rant, head's not on straight, so take everything I said with a grain of salt.

audiophilia
01-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by MorningCruiser

Sorry about my rant, head's not on straight, so take everything I said with a grain of salt.

Ok:)

Seriously, thanks for your perspective.

notmpowered
01-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Remember though if you are to get a 92 to 94 e36. They were a brand new car with brand new technology at the time therefore, many of the bugs were not sorted out. I would say a 91 e30 will be more reliable than a 92 e36 that has taken the same abuse. And look at bmw bmxers car. An 85 eta with 4xxxxx kms on it and no rebuild. Now that is ****ing awesome.

Skunk#1
01-30-2004, 01:19 AM
there are more thing you can tinker with on the e30, as far as upgrades, but the performance of them stock i negligent. the choice is mind boggling, does anyone accually say that?, but i would prefer the e30, i have over 200,000 miles on my motor and it still runs strong enough to pass my friends 323 i think its a 98, but could be wrong. although i think the e36 would be more comfortable. my .02.

mkgino
01-30-2004, 01:29 AM
Invest it in some low risk stocks

notmpowered
01-30-2004, 02:31 AM
There is definatley a better aftermarket for e36(of stuff thats actually worth buying)

audiophilia
01-31-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Invest it in some low risk stocks

Got 'em...too!

Justin e36
02-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Go with the e36...

... but I'm biased.