PDA

View Full Version : ssk or z3 shifter

Albertae30
01-27-2004, 04:01 PM
whats better to get a short shift kit or just a Z3 shifter?? i mean i am not totally understanding what would be better i hear you will get a shorter shift with the Z3 if so why do people by the ssk?

1Low325IS
01-27-2004, 04:17 PM
well myself i just ordered the ACS short shifter kit, cant wait till it arrives

Tunerworks
01-27-2004, 05:13 PM
To gain a better understanding of why you'd want a vehicle specific SSK, spend some time looking over www.uucmotorwerks.com ... then most of your questions should be answered :)

Rob
www.tunerworks.com

Glenn 328is
01-28-2004, 04:40 PM
I am not sure how it would work on the E30, but I installed the MZ3 shift lever in my car and it worked great for about 8 months or so. Due to the rubber shock absorbing material in the lever and the crappy bushings, there is now the original play in the shifter when in gear. An SSK eliminates this play due to the lever being of solid steel and the bushings used are urethane.

BladeRunner
01-29-2004, 02:53 AM
I've been thinking of replacing my shifter but a little metal rod with leather on top costing $200+ doesn't really seem like a good buy, in my opinion.

Albertae30
01-29-2004, 06:34 AM
i agree i can't justify that

JazzM
01-29-2004, 11:49 PM
For BMW I highly recommend the Whalen shifter (WSM). It's basically a shifter knob that sits about an inch and a half lower than an OEM knob. I've been running mine for almost a year. Excellant quality, good price and superb feel.

Best regards,

T.

Glenn 328is
01-30-2004, 03:37 AM
You should do it. It is one of the best mods I've done. It reduces the throw by over 30% and it snicks into gear so sweetly. Combine this with a clutch stop and you will not go back. (Can E30s even use a clutch stop???? *smoke* )

thinair
01-30-2004, 03:32 PM
I say get the Z3 shifter first, it's cheap anyway, if you don't like it you can always get the UUC later. Personally I have the ZM3 shifter on my car, in combination with a very short Momo knob. It's a short shifter all right, but it does get a little notchy in the colder weather. I also wrapped my selector rod in like 0.5kg of lead solder to make the shifting smoother. One day I might go for the UUC shifter, but for now I'm more then happy.

Slowered318
01-30-2004, 03:36 PM
the SSK is way better because it replaces all the warn out parts with better quality, better bushings.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-30-2004, 09:08 PM
Z4 shifter works..mystikal ordered for his 325is

BladeRunner
01-31-2004, 02:18 AM
I'm planning to visit a junk/salvage near me or my school when the semester ends. I'm planning on the Z3, MZ3 or Z4 shifter if the price is right. Which do you all think would be better for '84 318i, also what's the estimated time for removal.

Hopefully once the swap is done everything will be cool. I would hate to loose that lovely shifter pop (similar to the the Mustang in Nicolas Cage's Gone In 60 Seconds) I get when shifting from reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and sometime 4th. Only draw back is my parents, I think they would look at the swap negatively, hence they wouldn't be able to adjust to the new shift patern. They love to drive the bimma when they can get the keys.

Autotechnica
01-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
I'm planning to visit a junk/salvage near me or my school when the semester ends. I'm planning on the Z3, MZ3 or Z4 shifter if the price is right. Which do you all think would be better for '84 318i, also what's the estimated time for removal.

Hopefully once the swap is done everything will be cool. I would hate to loose that lovely shifter pop (similar to the the Mustang in Nicolas Cage's Gone In 60 Seconds) I get when shifting from reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and sometime 4th. Only draw back is my parents, I think they would look at the swap negatively, hence they wouldn't be able to adjust to the new shift patern. They love to drive the bimma when they can get the keys.

I don't think the MZ3 shifter will work with the E30's. The person who sold me the one I'm currently using had problems with the ss on his E30. It was hitting against his driveshaft so he had to remove it. Looks like you'll have to get a SSK.

Bry

BladeRunner
02-01-2004, 03:57 AM
oh well, i guess we'll just keep it loose...

What about the z3 (if it's any different from the z3m shifter) or z4 shifter. I think someone on here was talking about using one or the other on their z30. i'll just do some research...

Thanks

Autotechnica
02-01-2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
oh well, i guess we'll just keep it loose...

What about the z3 (if it's any different from the z3m shifter) or z4 shifter. I think someone on here was talking about using one or the other on their z30. i'll just do some research...

Thanks

I think when people say "Z3" short shifter, they are actually referring to the "MZ3" shifter.

Bry

Phazer
02-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Does the shifter out of a 328 not provide a shorter throw than that of a Z3?
If I where you, I would go for the Z3 shofter (cheapish), and if you like it and feel the need, upgrade to "proper" aftermarket one.