PDA

View Full Version : CDV mod

Rush
01-27-2004, 05:31 AM
Everybody says it great, but what exactly does it do? and ...

Who can do the CDV mod in Toronto? I have the drilled CDV from Dave Z already, I just need someone to out it in.

Thanks in advance

Miguel
01-27-2004, 05:39 AM
do the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) Modification yourself:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm#Directions%20for%20CDV%20installation

and one more thing.. if you have about $500 laying around, do the eurodash conversion
http://www.zeckhausen.com/Eurodash.htm (http://)

DavidM5
01-28-2004, 05:13 PM
Rick from R/T Motorsport in Woodbridge did mine.
He also changed over my rear diff to the 3.15 one so he knows what to expect.
PM me for details.

David in GTA

Rush
01-29-2004, 09:11 PM
I'm doing both the 3:15 and the CDV soon ... do you have their phone#? How much did you pay for labour, if you don't mind me asking? How do you like your the mods?

Rush

DavidM5
01-30-2004, 12:55 AM
Rick's number is 905-669-8444
Tell him you were referred by David with the silver M5.
He's great and his pricing is very fair.
Unfortunately I don't remember eaxctly how much it cost because I did a bunch of things at the same time.

Fern
02-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by DavidM5
Rick from R/T Motorsport in Woodbridge did mine.
He also changed over my rear diff to the 3.15 one so he knows what to expect.
PM me for details.

David in GTA

WOW!

I was told the e39 M5 did not have a CDV. Guess I was misinformed.

BTW,
I know I am going to get flamed by all the people who had their CDV removed but I would recommend you research why BMW installed it in the first place.

CDV was installed to prevent damage to the trani caused by dropped clutches on takeoff... The CDV although saving the trani adds increased wear to the clutch. (pros & cons)

I'm a believer that if you drive aggressively, I would still prefer to replace the clutch, rather than the trani.

Just my $.02
Cheers,
Fern

DavidM5
02-17-2004, 01:45 AM
Fern,
I did the CDV mod when I had my now ex-98 540/6.
I actually drove down to NJ to visit Dave Z who kindly did mine.
Rick from R/T Motorsport did the 3.15 rear diff on the 540, also did the Rogue Engineering Short Shift Kit.
I had him transfer the short shift kit over to the M5.
BTW, It's a highly recommended mod, not too expensive and makes every shift better.
Also, I did experience a clutch slave cylinder fail on me a couple of months after removing the CDV, cannot say for sure that it was the cause of it.(could be a coincidence)

///Greco540
02-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Fern, I agree that BMW does install things for a reason. The only problem I see with it is that a seasoned manual driver finds it annoying as I did because it changes the release/pressure feeling one would normally expect from a manual gearbox. The brain/foot goets out of whack and even Mario Andretti would look like a first time manual gearbox driver with it. It does nothing to prolongthe life of the clutch, but in my mind wears it out even faster. I've had mine for over a year and have not experienced a clutch problem.

Also the CDV was installed to save the clutch not the tranny. It would take about 700hp to destroy the Getrag.

Fern
02-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by ///Greco540
Fern, I agree that BMW does install things for a reason. The only problem I see with it is that a seasoned manual driver finds it annoying as I did because it changes the release/pressure feeling one would normally expect from a manual gearbox. The brain/foot goets out of whack and even Mario Andretti would look like a first time manual gearbox driver with it. It does nothing to prolongthe life of the clutch, but in my mind wears it out even faster. I've had mine for over a year and have not experienced a clutch problem.

Also the CDV was installed to save the clutch not the tranny. It would take about 700hp to destroy the Getrag.

I beg to differ that the CDV was originally installed to "save the clutch, not the trani".

Checkout this post by Dave Zeckenhausen (the founder of the CDV mod)
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/1723280-1.html

CDV was designed to save the trani not the clutch
LOGIC: trani's have to be covered under warranty, clutches don't...

Long story short, if you can drive a stick properly don't fear CDV delete. If your going to dump the clutch (without CDV) check your savings account first.

Just something to make you go hummm!
Cheers,

Fern
:confused:

///Greco540
02-18-2004, 07:24 PM
Let's just say that it sucks and you should remove it. Unless its your first manual transmission car.. Agreed...

PS: It's for sale...

Rush
02-21-2004, 03:58 PM
How do you know if you're driving a stick properly ... how long should it last? How do you know when it's worn out and it's time to replace it?

///Greco540
02-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Well I'm still on original clutch at 120K Km's. If you blow clutches every 30-40K Km's something wrong with your driving.