PDA

View Full Version : 850ci

WilDCarD
01-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Hello everyone,
I have a very welthy friend that just bought a BMW 850ci, paid cash for it ($93,000) and he wants to make it go faster. He wants way more accelleration out of it. He doesn't really care that much about top speed since he is kind of older (50's). He always drives the speed limit, but he wants a really fast car. The car is a 5.0 liter V-12, and puts out 300hp stock. He has had the exhaust upgraded and the driveline tweaked a tad, and is supposed to be up to 400 hp now. I can't find any aftermarket parts for the car, except OEM replacement stuff. Is there anything else you can do to that car to make it haul some major balls? I looked at the performance numbers (stock) for the car and they wern't that impressive. I saw 0 - 60 in 6 seconds. It HAS to go faster than that. I think my car could beat that hehe. Money is no issue. He wants to be able to tell a shop what to do to the car, not the other way around. If you fine people have any ideas, let me know!

Thanks,
Marty
1996 Chevy Impala SS - Modified

Understated
01-26-2004, 08:07 PM
he paid 93 grand for a 8series?

aren't they around 30 grand now?

correct me if i'm wrong :confused:

thinair
01-26-2004, 08:09 PM
If he's not worried about top speed, a differential lower geared differential (numberically higher) would do it for him. But I don't know what the stock gearing is on the 850ci.

There are intake manifolds from Dinan that supposedly increase the power by 42hp and 55ft-lbs.
http://dinancars.com/html/graphics/manifold_v12-275.jpg

If money is really no object I'm pretty sure you'll have no problems getting someone to twin turbo that, or full build the engine.

WilDCarD
01-26-2004, 08:18 PM
I am not 100% sure on the price he paid. That price was told to me by his son. Maybe he meant $39,000...

I suggested the Twin turbo setup for him but I never really got much response. I will let him know about the intake manifold(s?). Also, if he were to buy better gears for it, what would he need to look for when he goes to purchase them? I apologize for my ignorance, but I know nothing about BMW's. If it isn't a chevy, I don't know :)

Thanks,
Marty
1996 Chevy Impala SS

WilDCarD
01-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Is there anything else you guys can think of?

theblue
01-26-2004, 08:53 PM
I looked into these cars for a long time and I hate to tell you that's it's go extreme or stay stock... there is really not much you can do to that motor for reasonable money. a chip and exhaust will give a little more but you won't make this thing truly fast in any way without big money. My idea was to swap a e39 M5 motor in and do some serious weight reduction.. it just got too expensive and after driving the car I decided it was simply too large.
PS. the best condition one I was more serious about buying was selling for about $20K usd.

WilDCarD
01-26-2004, 09:02 PM
I certainly appreciate the feedback guys. Pretty much what you are saying is there are very few, if any, bolt-ons for his car. I'll sure pass on the information, and I'll direct him to this web site for future questions/problems/concerns. Thanks to all who replied. :)

-Marty

Soldo
01-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Must be nice to have that sorta money, specially for that car, makeing that car look and drive fast, is a tough thing to do, but once you acheive that, WOW!!

BTW, PLEASEEEEE show me some pics of that PALA of yours!
I loveeee the 95+ SS's, i think thats the NICEST lookin amercican car in existence!

IVAN
01-26-2004, 10:56 PM
YOu can achive it 2 hah. Just get your parents to open up wicked bar oh Cro coast.. Not to mention what type of Hrvartice are gonna come by haahah

Jon@Bimmersport
01-27-2004, 12:41 AM
theres a twin supercharged one in toronto, if i can remember correctly...empowerd helped out with it.

WilDCarD
01-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
BTW, PLEASEEEEE show me some pics of that PALA of yours!
I loveeee the 95+ SS's, i think thats the NICEST lookin amercican car in existence!

Ok, Here are a few pictures. It is basically a stock bottom, but has a few performance mods done to it. It will pass the quarter mile in 13.6 seconds as long as I use my drag radials. On street tires, well, lets just not get into that. hehe
Here is a beauty shot of my car from the rear
http://wildcard.gotdns.com/mycar.jpg

Here is my sig pic that I use on my own car forums. I didn't post it here since this is a BMW forum, and I have lots of respect for you guys.
http://wildcard.gotdns.com/sig.jpg

Sorry I don't have any engine photos yet...

BTW, I really appreciate the info about my friend's car. That
V-12 has some potential, especially with the kind of money he has. I will see if I can get a photo or 2 of his car to show everyone. Again, thank you all. If you come up with any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks again.

-Marty

thinair
01-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by WilDCarD
Here is my sig pic that I use on my own car forums. I didn't post it here since this is a BMW forum, and I have lots of respect for you guys.
http://wildcard.gotdns.com/sig.jpg

Feel free to put that picture in your sig, there is nothing wrong with that, it's no lack of respect. We're not snobs here. Nothing wrong with a nice Impala either*th-up*

Soldo
01-27-2004, 04:36 PM
WOW, your car is abso-freakin-lootly GORGEOUS!
One day i too will own an impala as pimpin as that!
Cept mines gonna have some nice 14" DAYTON's instead of drag rims!

TiemenT
01-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by WilDCarD
Hello everyone,
I have a very welthy friend that just bought a BMW 850ci, paid cash for it ($93,000)

DAMN, In the netherlands an 850ci is about 15.000, and that's is about $17.000

so your friend is been f***ed :huh?:

///Milk
02-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by TiemenT
DAMN, In the netherlands an 850ci is about 15.000, and that's is about $17.000

so your friend is been f***ed :huh?:
I know I'm late on the response.
But the 8 series in the US is a pretty rare find and ones in good condition are about $25+

TiemenT
02-29-2004, 08:14 PM
damn.. just import it then from germany... that's even cheaper..