PDA

View Full Version : M3 stalls on start-up

Jammasterj
01-26-2004, 03:10 AM
Hey does anyone know why the M3 sometimes stalls if you start it and just let in run for a minute or 2 without moving it?
Its pretty wierd for a brand new car to stall like that and this was happening in the summer too, it was warm out!
I know in the manual it says never to start the car and let it run sitting at idle to let it warm up, they want you to move the car and warm the engine up at a constant speed higher than idle!

Whats the deal with not being able to let the car sit and warm up? is that bad for your car in general or is it just the M3? And why does it stall out on occasion?

Any idea?

Gamite
01-26-2004, 03:17 AM
I'd say its time to visit the dealer

Jammasterj
01-26-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Gamite
I'd say its time to visit the dealer
no man, i've read reviews where they complained about the stalling
it's not just my car
i knew about it before we bought it

Simby
01-26-2004, 03:34 AM
My 50th post!!!!

I recently heard my friend say the same thing about idling for only 30 seconds and then start driving. I'll go check out my manual and see if it says this.

Mystikal
01-26-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Jammasterj
Whats the deal with not being able to let the car sit and warm up? is that bad for your car in general or is it just the M3?

It's terrible for any car to sit and warm up.

Jammasterj
01-26-2004, 03:39 AM
yeah why is that though?
does it have to do with oil flow?

///MsAniTy
01-26-2004, 03:40 AM
man i need a ride in a m3. i wonder how it feels to floor it and rape its shit.

Mystikal
01-26-2004, 03:41 AM
When you do that, you end up with a warm and ready to go engine, but the entire gearbox, clutch, diff, etc. will all still be ice cold. It's better to warm them all up at the same time, driving lightly.

Plus, you're ****ing up the environment.

SickFinga
01-26-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Jammasterj
no man, i've read reviews where they complained about the stalling
it's not just my car
i knew about it before we bought it

trust me, make that appointment at the dealer.
car is not suppose to stall when it is idling, the only way it should stall, when you will run out of gas.

M3ti Compact
01-26-2004, 06:50 AM
My owners manual says to let the car idle 30 seconds before driving off right away when temperatures is under -15. And also to expect everything to be stiff and make funny noises.

Yesterday, I went on the 401 with a warm engine- needle at normal operating temp. Got up to 120km/h and the temp went down by half! It was THAT cold!.

I don't think the 4-cylinders hold heat that good...when I turn on my heater, you can see the temp gauge go down a bit.

SickFinga
01-26-2004, 06:51 AM
^^^ time for the new thermostat

M3ti Compact
01-26-2004, 06:57 AM
Really? I thought the thermostat kicks in when it's gonna overheat...I used to have an old Taurus, and it overheated because the thermostat was jammed or something...

I don't know...what does it do???

nzer
01-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by M3ti Compact
Really? I thought the thermostat kicks in when it's gonna overheat...I used to have an old Taurus, and it overheated because the thermostat was jammed or something...

I don't know...what does it do???

When the car starts up from cold.. if its below a certain temp the coolant water doesn't go through the radiator and the car warms up faster. When it reaches temp the thermostat opens up and lets water go round the radiator. This is what a working thermostat does.

If your thermostat is stuck open the car will take ages to warm up or will never warm up.

98323IS
01-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey man. My dad's M3 cab had the EXACT same problem, and it is a warranty thing. I actually worked at Budd's, so I just took it in and had it done while I was working. But what the mechanics there told me was that it is a computer thing. They hooked it up and made the appropriate changes and haven't had a problem since. So just call the dealer and get it done it's warranty anyways!

Jammasterj
01-27-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by 98323IS
Hey man. My dad's M3 cab had the EXACT same problem, and it is a warranty thing. I actually worked at Budd's, so I just took it in and had it done while I was working. But what the mechanics there told me was that it is a computer thing. They hooked it up and made the appropriate changes and haven't had a problem since. So just call the dealer and get it done it's warranty anyways!
Thanks for the tip...ill bring it in, in the spring...
its bad for it to stall anyways plus bmw is good a fixing those type of problems from my experience anyways :confused:

98323IS
01-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Ya they are! I know what you're talking about though. The revs like go up, then down, then up, the dooown, then stall. Took them like 30mins to fix it. It's just a software update that's all.

Albertae30
01-27-2004, 04:00 PM
see as for the let it warm up for only a min or so is correct in my book cause if i just let is sit there then i go to take off sure first gear works but shifting into second is not a joyous ocation.