PDA

View Full Version : Working with Fiber Glass

Boris The Blade
01-25-2004, 06:38 AM
Can anyone who has worked with fiber glass help???

I'm trying to do something crazy and different to the interior of my car. I started ripping off the vinyl from one of my door panels. What I'm trying to accomplish is rapping the panel with fiber glass also molding in a speaker. I know what I'm looking for looks wise but working with the actual material; I've never done.

So if someone has any info to share I would appreciate it alot, this will keep me busy until the weather breaks so I can paint my car.

Thanx again

Johnny

oh, if anyone forgot what my car currently looks like, check the pic. I know she looks hidious but by summer she'll have some new colors :)

Jase
01-25-2004, 06:42 AM
I have done some carbon fiber and fibergalss what do you want to know?

Boris The Blade
01-25-2004, 06:44 AM
carbon fiber???? hmmmmm theres an idea.... lol

ok, how does the whole application process work? what materials to i need and how do i start?

thanx

Johnny

Jase
01-25-2004, 06:48 AM
You can overlay the door panel with C/F. you need to remove the vinyl. then staple the C/F around the back. use a epoxy resin. press out the excess. Make sure to use it on a bias,(45%) it looks better. remove the door handle and the pull. use a dremel to recut the holes. attach the pieces back on .Let me know if you need more help. I did door panels. Iam doing rear deck console and rear of my seats at the moment.

Boris The Blade
01-25-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Jase
I have done some carbon fiber and fiberglass what do you want to know?

uhhhh...

ok, how does the whole application process work? what materials do i need and how do i start?

thanx

Johnny

Jase
01-25-2004, 07:00 AM
You need 3k 5.7 oz 2x2 twill carbon fiber fabric, a roller,expoy resin that is non blushing,sizzors,tape, scales(digital),hardener,measuring cups and decent temperature. You can overlay items but the material thet the dash is made of dosent work well. So anything with vinyl is bad. you could get problem with parts lifting. If you decide to laminate you will have to finish the product. 1000-2000 wet sand and rubbing compound to get the shine you want. A polisher works well here. It is not as easy as it is made out to be.here is a good place for info

www.fiberglast.com

go to fibe talk. search some of the posts you will learn alot.

Boris The Blade
01-25-2004, 07:12 AM
thanx for your help... *th-up*

Jase
01-25-2004, 07:20 AM
I had a few typo's the wet sand is 1000-2000 grit paper not 100-200. Sorry. If you use 200 you would ruin the finish

Boris The Blade
01-25-2004, 10:45 PM
WOW, that site if sick. I deffinately will learn alot from there, I was overwelmed with all the info. I think I have to read the WHOLE forum to understand and grasp this whole new concept (new meaning, new to me).

Thanks man, once I start I'll start working on this project I'll start posting some pics.

Later.
Johnny

Jase
01-26-2004, 02:27 AM
Good luck!

Albertae30
01-29-2004, 09:14 PM
i just watched on speed vision how they make fiber hoods and damn it looked easy all they did was take the hood bolted a peice of ply wood level with the edge of the hood then they laid the fabric and resen on the stock hood to make the mold then when the mold was done they just laid the fiber and resing in the mold and BAM a hood it looks crazy easy

Jase
01-30-2004, 01:59 AM
the thing is it looks easy. It really isn't.Otherwise everyone would do it themselves.

Boris The Blade
01-30-2004, 03:37 AM
the thing is it looks easy. It really isn't.Otherwise everyone would do it themselves.

thats right. I spoke to one of my buddies who used to restore vettes as a hobbie. He said that he would help me get started with my custom door panel because it would be too hard to understand by just reading about it. The procedure it easier to understand if it was hands-on.

the c/f hood sounds cool, but I'm having mixed feelings about it. I feel its alittle too ricey. just my thoughts.

peace
Johnny

Jase
01-30-2004, 04:00 AM
I think that the C/F hood wood look O.K.Take a look at Jeremys ride in his sig. But needless to say it is more than just laminating.I have looked at this for some time and have done some hands on. Let me say this if you are unsure use some mold release on the original product for when you mess it up.At least that way you can try again.thats what I did. Practice with fiberglass not C/F it is cheaper!

Boris The Blade
01-30-2004, 04:19 AM
i hear ya jase... yo, that forum is sick man. thanks for telling me about it. I just cant wait until the weather breaks alittle. I need some heat!!!!! I think I maybe be paint my car at the end of Feb. I cant wait! the only thing is, I still havent settled on a color yet. its either BLACK, RED family or BLUE family.

My brother inlaw is telling me to do it Laguna Seca Blue. The color is awsome but the lines of the car dont match the paint. Or maybe Metalic Black? what do you think? I think Eurostyle on another post for me to do it Estoril Blue. That doesnt sound bad either. Its a nice color

i dont know
I have a few weeks to think about it

WhadUpp
01-30-2004, 05:21 AM
Just a friendly reminder, not sure if this will apply to you but whenever working with fiberglass re-inforced plastic and/or carbon fibre and any sanding or cutting is done ensure that you're wearing adequate protection ie... mask etc.

You only have one pair of lungs so it is best to protect them cause this stuff is really bad when in dust form and breathing it in can cause serious damage.

Just a safety tip:)

Jase
01-30-2004, 05:28 AM
it wearing of a mask it VERY important. plus working with resin is dangerous. the fumes can hurt you.Really good point Whadupp

Boris The Blade
01-30-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks Guys. good points... You cant mess around with this stuff. I couldnt even do it in my garage because of the fumes. I have to pick a nice day to do it. that wont happen for a while... hehe

later
Johnny

Schnell 318
01-31-2004, 11:02 PM
I did door panels. Iam doing rear deck console and rear of my seats at the moment.

got any pics of that?