PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting an M3. Questions

max_power
01-24-2004, 04:24 AM
Hi all.

I was at BMW Toronto this afternoon looking at a 2003 M3 they have there.

What kind of discount should I expect for a 03 car?

Is there any difference in 04 M3s vs. 03s?

For the M3 owners: what problems have u faced up to now with car?

Is it a good buy or a good lease?

What about insurance premiums?

Who is tracking the car and what the dealership says about this (warranty claims etc.)?

Btw, do u know anybody who is leasing the M3 and the lease is up in the next 6 months?

Thanks

tlaselva
01-24-2004, 04:44 AM
Discount on an M3?
All depends if it's new.
If it is, don't expect much.
That car will go quick by the spring.

See below for the new '04 M3 Options.

My E46 M3 didn't have any issues to speak about.
My observations of the M3 is that it's as reliable as any BMW.

Buy or Lease?
If you can afford it, and can't write it off via business, buy it.
It's always cheaper that way. Lease in the end will alway's cost you more. I remember when I bought my X5, the 'discount' on the X5 I was going to buy doubled when I mentioned I was paying for the vehicle outright, instead of using the low financing that was being offered. :rolleyes:

Insurance for this car isn't cheap. Young age & a less than perfect drivers record will only make this expedentially worse. I'd strongly suggest you check with with several insurance companies before you buy the car.

max_power
01-24-2004, 04:51 AM
the car has 50km on...

btw, I am in Brampton too...

Why did you trade in the M3?

Weren't u happy with the car?

There is also a 01 on autotrader for 55k something (private sale)...any issues with 01s?

If the car goes out of warranty, how expensive is to maintain?

tifosi
01-24-2004, 04:54 AM
i think the only thing 04 M3 has that 03 M3 doesn't is the optional BMW Assist.

and auto headlight and auto windsheild wiper is standard on 04 M3

tlaselva
01-24-2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by max_power
the car has 50km on...

btw, I am in Brampton too...

Why did you trade in the M3?

Weren't u happy with the car?

There is also a 01 on autotrader for 55k something (private sale)...any issues with 01s?

If the car goes out of warranty, how expensive is to maintain?

Be very careful with the '01's.
If I'm not mistaken, the Nov. builds had a higher than normal engine failures. Most of the documented 100+ recorded engine failures occurred during that time. I'll see if I can find you a link that explains all of this.
Having said that, BMW's extended the engine warranty on those engines to 160,000 Kms though.
BUT, when an engine does go, BMW checks the 'black box' and if the car's been reved high and hard, or over-reved, they have been known to void the warranty on the spot. Replacing a S54 engine's costs over 25G's... :eek:

My recommendation, only buy a M3 off someone you know, that you can trust the car hasn't been tracked or abused, and to a lesser degree from a dealership. I would NEVER by a used E46 M3 privately. Those cars are too expensive to take a chance.

I loved the M3.
But didn't have the brute acceleration that I craved.
The S54's lack of ability to be modded affordably made me bite the bullet and get the Z.
If I weren’t intending on racing the car hard, I would've kept the M.
IMO, it's the best overall sports car you can get for the money.
I'll likely go back to an M3 once BMW's gets their act together and place a V8 in they're next Gen M4.*th-up*

tlaselva
01-24-2004, 05:24 AM
Everything you need to know about the S54 engine issues:

I was on this site for 6 months before I bought my M.

Link (http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm)

crusher
01-24-2004, 05:37 AM
insurance is quite a bitch too. Got quoted for 390cnd with 1000 deductable *sad*

max_power
01-24-2004, 05:38 AM
Are you tracking the Z06?

I plan to track this car (if I get it), at least taking BMW drivers training at Mosport.

Do you think that the dealership will refuse warranty if they see the tires after a track day?

Any other issues (that will result in $erius cash outflow) with the M3?

d12
01-24-2004, 07:13 PM
check insurance, because I was ganna get one too but they quoted me like a grand each month, some companies even had balls to tell me $20,000 a year, so I went with 01' 330ci...

Jon@Bimmersport
01-24-2004, 07:24 PM
i heard BMW driving training sucks..BMWCCA is cheaper/better

tony, are u sure those are the options? i was on the BMW.CA site and there was half that....thats what the US option sheet is like, even Xenons are an option on their site :huh?:

crusher
01-24-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by d12
check insurance, because I was ganna get one too but they quoted me like a grand each month, some companies even had balls to tell me $20,000 a year, so I went with 01' 330ci...

20,000 !?? thats f**** insane!!!

Quack
01-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by d12

couple of years ago when I was driving my 92 Lexus LS400 they quoted me about $20,000 also, it was rough for a couple of years, I just bought liability, but still cost me over $7500

biotek
01-24-2004, 08:13 PM
got to love Ontario insurance *th-up*

-jay

Quack
01-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by biotek
got to love Ontario insurance *th-up*

-jay

oh yeah it rocks, now if I was in B.C. I'll bet you my insurance would be somewhere around $2000,