PDA

View Full Version : 87 325e will not start, who can help, who smart?

objec
01-23-2004, 06:58 PM
ok, guys, i live in chicago and its snowing right now, so it is cold, my bimmer will not start. here is what i have done so far, replaced the battey. new fuel filter, checked all plugs and wires, there is more that a quarter tank of gas, new temp sensor and thermo time switch, took the cold start out and and is spraying a mist of fuel, oil level is good, not sure if the feul pumpes are working, i know fuel is getting to the cold start, cause it does spray, after trying to start it for a while fuel drips out of my air filter, i think its cause the cold stars is spraying all the time when i trying to start it, maybe its fludding it, i dont know.

can any one help me or does any one have any suggestions, i have an appointment to the dealership tuesday, i need to get it started so i dont have to get it towed in.

Kurt Schneller
01-23-2004, 09:38 PM
does it turn over? I didn't read thru all you typed, but I had problem mine was just dead, turned out to be that the starters earth wire was broken off, 5 minute fix.(after 5 days of taking out engine bay hehehe)

SickFinga
01-23-2004, 09:48 PM
do you have a spark?

objec
01-24-2004, 01:53 AM
yes i have spark, new wires and plugs recently

Eurostyle
01-24-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by objec
yes i have spark, new wires and plugs recently

Did you check for spark? Dont assume because they are new, you must have spark! Ignition is controled by the ECU, so if a sensor is gone (position sensor) ECU wont get information and wont spark! If you have fuel and spark it should start unless there is major mechanical problem; eg. broken timing belt, skiped timing, no/low compression....

objec
01-24-2004, 03:13 AM
what would be a good way to test if i have spark, my car has about 300k on it so not everything has been replaced, i have checked the connections several times to all the plugs and distributor. i talked with a BAS tech and he told that it could be a bad thermo time switch, cold start, and said to get a new main and fuse relay.

objec
01-24-2004, 03:16 AM
and eurostyle, on that 318 are the bumpers still on it, i am looking for plastic short bumpers e30, a complete set, front and rear with the lower apron and front spoiler?

SickFinga
01-24-2004, 03:26 AM
objec, in order to run, car needs 3 things.
1. gas
2. spark
3. compression

got those and you car is runing.
so, you prolly missing the spark

objec
01-24-2004, 03:32 AM
if i had no compression what would be a way to check it, i dont have any holes and all tubes are connected

objec
01-24-2004, 03:38 AM
i would be greatful if you guys help me throught aol isnstant mesanger, my name is objec, message me any time and we can talk about it

Eurostyle
01-24-2004, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga
objec, in order to run, car needs 3 things.
1. gas
2. spark
3. compression

got those and you car is runing.
so, you prolly missing the spark

You are right but you forgot one major thing; timing! You can have all the fuell, spark, air, copression but if things dont happen at the RIGHT time, it wont run ar like SH#T! This is a VERY common problem on VW...the timing belt would just jump and screw up the timing and the car would not run...I have not yet seen it onece on an BMW but you never know...

Eurostyle
01-24-2004, 05:16 AM
and eurostyle, on that 318 are the bumpers still on it, i am looking for plastic short bumpers e30, a complete set, front and rear with the lower apron and front spoiler?

I have the front but its not in the best shape, so i'm selling it AS IS and i cant ship it...

objec
01-24-2004, 05:20 AM
awww, ill pay for shipping, how bad is the front

objec
01-24-2004, 05:21 AM
how do i get a picture to appear after my replys like others do

objec
01-24-2004, 05:28 AM
got it

IVAN
01-24-2004, 05:59 AM
euro,how much are you lookin for dat bumper from318?

Eurostyle
01-24-2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by IVAN
euro,how much are you lookin for dat bumper from318?

Bumper cover $30, lower valance $30, stock I lip $50...

Euro_E30
01-24-2004, 07:08 AM
you hsould also check the three relays on the driver strut tower under the hood theres a white relay that controls alot its called a main realy if its not white its the metal one.... if u have no spark it could be that or a dead coil. good luck*th-up*

objec
01-24-2004, 07:21 AM
yeah, thats that the tech from bas said

SickFinga
01-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Eurostyle
You are right but you forgot one major thing; timing! You can have all the fuell, spark, air, copression but if things dont happen at the RIGHT time, it wont run ar like SH#T! This is a VERY common problem on VW...the timing belt would just jump and screw up the timing and the car would not run...I have not yet seen it onece on an BMW but you never know...

well, if timing is out, engine will fire(not running)
so gas, spark and compression are the 3 main essentials for the eninge.

Eurostyle
01-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
well, if timing is out, engine will fire(not running)
so gas, spark and compression are the 3 main essentials for the eninge.

It depends to what degree it is off; i have seen everything between runing a bit rough, to do start at all. And if timing belt is gone, the engine will not fire (no spark at all)...

M50E30
01-24-2004, 06:37 PM
To check for spark:

Take a spark plug out and attach it to a plug wire and hold it close to the intake manifold (be VERY carefull you don't shock yourself). Get someone to crank the engine over and see if there is a spark.

BTW - There is a fuse in the trunk that runs to the battery to the main relay. That $1 part caused me months of frustration of my car just cutting right out and then working.

objec
01-24-2004, 08:30 PM
where at in the trunk, by the battery

M50E30
01-25-2004, 02:13 AM
where at in the trunk, by the battery

There is a wire that runs under the carpet by the right fender.

Eurostyle
01-25-2004, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by M50E30

BTW - There is a fuse in the trunk that runs to the battery to the main relay. That $1 part caused me months of frustration of my car just cutting right out and then working. [/B]

LoL It happened to me twice!!! Once it was right before a car show!!! I spent a full day trubleshooting the electrical system and couldnt find the problem, so i had to drive to the show with a jumper wire on the relay! After the show i found the problem and fixed it in 15 minutes*mumble*

objec
01-25-2004, 07:03 PM
ok, guyd the car started yesterday, i unpluged the cold start connection and it started right up, i think the cold start was fludding it,

or could it be something eles?

objec
01-25-2004, 07:17 PM
i just went to go start it and it would not start, with or with out the cold start

chromius
01-27-2004, 08:22 PM
gee you would think you would be able to figure out the problem after modding the car you said you had in the following thread.....:confused:

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17201&perpage=15&pagenumber=1