PDA

View Full Version : Got my headers today!

djcontra
01-23-2004, 04:32 PM
I only had to wait 2 days for them to arrive from the U.S. which is absolutely astounding considering I paid very little on the shipping of these babies. They're not as nice as let's say, supersprint headers, but they only cost me $132 USD, so I'm not complaining either! The company included a dyno sheet to show the gains when using these headers and downpipes as well. All I need now to finish my exhaust is some nice rolled lip tips!

http://www.stockreco.com/Mvc-0efdf17f.jpg

http://www.stockreco.com/a_BMW_HEADERS_DYNO_1.jpg

notjoe
01-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Do youl need software upgrades for these or are they just a matter of bolting on?

They look pretty sweet!

djcontra
01-23-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of bolting them on. Oh, and I forgot to mention that they're ported and polished too! :)

EMPOWERD
01-23-2004, 05:29 PM
that's an amazing price. I paid $1260.00 for my Genie headers (equal length, long tube). Congrats on the great deal... perfect B-Day present eh?

97 Z3 2.8
01-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Do you have contact info for the company you bought them from?

djcontra
01-23-2004, 07:50 PM
www.ssautochrome.com

I bought them off of their ebay auction however (as it was cheaper)

Randy: yeah, perfect timing! I wish I could afford equal length headers, just because they look a little nicer, but considering the dyno chart shows some gains, I figured I'd give these a shot seeing as how they didn't cost much.

suicide
01-26-2004, 03:39 AM
are they steet legal

moerom
01-26-2004, 05:43 AM
Is this for the 325 motor or the 2JZ?

Nice looking headers BTW!

NickP
01-26-2004, 07:29 PM
They look alot like the 2.8/3.2 pieces which isn't a bad thing...

djcontra
01-26-2004, 09:47 PM
suicide: I'm guessing they are....as long as you have cats it should be legal I assume.

moerom: they're for the m50...I haven't begun to mod the 2JZ because I'm debating selling it and buying an RB26DETT :)

NickP: yes, they're very similar to obd2 manifolds, except these are slightly different, much lighter, have larger openings, and are a LOT smoother inside. There were some debates on the subject over at bimmerforums, but also a lot of good reviews as well.

JazzM
01-27-2004, 12:59 AM
Arn't those the same ones that you and chris did before?

T.

BMW_M52_M20
01-27-2004, 01:23 AM
I bidded on the same pair but different, they look sweet, I got out bidded, I think I will pick them up, but with it bolt of for an M52?
Jay

blacknblue-e30
01-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Looks awesome, great buy!!!

v.b.
01-29-2004, 07:51 AM
the dyno graph is BS....even equal-length headers just like Euro
M3 or hiop or SS headers cannot gain that much

there are tons of threads on BF.C about these headers...

btw I am not hardcore racer, so I will buy them too..:)

328power
01-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Sick price..Cant wait to see results !*th-up*

1BADBMR
01-29-2004, 02:29 PM
SWEEEEET*mw* *mw* *mw*

JazzM
01-29-2004, 10:46 PM
I think that these will never achieve the posted results... a tone of material is available on Bimmerforums... These are OBX headers, makers of honda rice rocket stuff.... also know to be OBnoXiously loud.

I'm actually looking at getting headers in the next two weeks for my SC project. Those will most likely be either the Supersprint or the Kromerkraft headers. I've been doing quite a bit of reaserch on this topic... Basically reducing backpressure is only one aspect to improving performance (BOTH torque and top end hp). Equal length runners, consistant pipe width (mandrel bent), equal pressure from each runner, etc, etc... There's a lot of work involved in designing a proper header system. Take a look at the Euro M3 E36 (S50B32) equal length headers.

Personally, I think you've waisted your money, but to each his own I guess... Good luck!

Best regards,

T.

djcontra
01-29-2004, 11:02 PM
JazzM,
I fully understand what you're telling me, but I just can't justify spending over $1200 on headers for my car. That kind of money is better put towards things like a good set of tires, big brake kit, or even towards part of the paintjob costs I'm going to encounter this summer (and heck, i just turned 22,ya gotta give me a little break, i'm only making 50k a year right now and gotta save for other stuff than my car :D). I figure for $130 USD, if I get even 5 horsepower more, it's worth it to me since I mostly got them because I plan on creating my own custom exhaust, and I figured they'd at least look nice along with everything else (which has a mirror shine).
It's been proven that OBD2 headers give OBD1 cars better performance, and by these being very similar, I should hope to get similar performance if not better. As well, being that my car has forced induction, the gains for me will exceed any stock naturally aspirated m50 engine running these headers (or any headers to that fact). As for decreasing backpressure, how's a free flowing catalytic converter, and no muffler sound? All i'm going to run is resonators (to keep it at least at a tolerable volume). I think i'll have shaved off enough backpressure to handle my 300+hp project car. There is such a thing as overkill eh? :)

p.s. there is also a lot of documented reports of supersprint headers actually decreasing performance on our cars. I'm not saying they're bad, but some of these guy's dyno charts are pretty surprising.

JazzM
01-29-2004, 11:25 PM
ej Contra... would luv to check out your ride... it sounds very nice when you'll be done with it. :)

Yes, the OBDII M3 exhaust (e36) is more free flowing then the 95 M3's...

FYI, regarding supersprint exhaust system (read http://www.europeancarweb.com/projectcars/0201ec_projbmw/)
As you can see this setup yealded a gain of 51.1 hp and 40.7 lb-ft. quite impressive actually :)

T.

djcontra
01-29-2004, 11:39 PM
np! i can't wait to check out my ride when it's done too :D
I've been eagerly awaiting some pulleys to come in so I can finally finish up the stuff under the hood and start working on the exterior.
Reading that article, perhaps I stand corrected when I said the supersprint headers might decrease power, because it doesn't look that way in this article at all. I do have to admit though, they probably dont contribute as much to the 50hp gain as the cams, pulleys, software, injectors, and no catalytic converter would. I'm actually quite baffled at the torque increase though, that's really amazing! (I bet if the stock muffler was left on, the guy would be spinning tires through every gear from the torque lol!)

JazzM
01-30-2004, 12:00 AM
The torque comes from a factor of things... mostly cams, intake, software and headers!

:)

T.

djcontra
02-27-2004, 01:01 AM
Found this today...$2699 USD :eek:
They look very similar as well which I find amusing.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/image/Intake_Exhaust/exhaust_e46_sportcats_lg.jpg

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=E46SPORTCATS