PDA

View Full Version : installing new deck in e30

SebSter
01-19-2004, 02:52 PM
gah its pissing me off i wanna get a new deck but everywhere i go they charge like crazy for the install, since i have the premium sound package and they have to rewire everything

anyone know a place that can do it cheaper, or a really good walkthrough on the install (with pics)?

2001 audiovideo wantted 100 bucks for the install, put that on top of 430 bucks for the deck *mumble*

johnoz
01-19-2004, 03:46 PM
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27298

This guy installed an alarm for me yesterday for $150. I also asked him for rewiring my car and he quoted me $50. His name is Rony.

If you can't find someone to help you here(DIY), I would give him a call. Mention maxbimmer or me(black bmw).

la klasic
01-19-2004, 06:20 PM
I upgraded my system with deck and speakers. It is easy if you keep track of all colors etc.....

You should absolutely remove the rear amplifier mounted in the trunck below the rear speakers. The amp. is not made to work with the higher outputs of today's decks.

Once you remove that, cut out all the connectors and reconnect the wires by color match.

Once you do that, the rest is straight forward. The amp is the tricky because the whole system uses a common ground (brown wire).

I suggest you search on the web under (bmw+ radio+ wiring) you will find some good tips and even color codes of the radio wiring.

johnoz
01-19-2004, 06:32 PM
hey la klasic,

did you have tweeters on the door? If so, where is the second cable hidden that is coming from the door. On my car there is only one cable coming from the tweeter and connecting to the kickpanel speaker.

Mystikal
01-19-2004, 07:14 PM
The place I go to did mine for $50 (premium rewire and all) but I'm not saying they'll do it again. I was just there today, those guys are great. Call Sound Center: 905-686-1400

T.Dot_E30
01-19-2004, 08:25 PM
I did mine myself.

I reused the stock wiring for now because this too cold to do anything now, in the summer ill rewire it properly.

All i did was run two sets of RCA cables to the back. I have one amp powering the subs and the other powering the mids/highs in the car.

Works great, only thing is when the deck is on low i get a bit of an engine whine....it comes and goes its not there all the time.

I think its cus i put the rca's on the wrongside, the driver side which has all the wires running to the back of the car.

So basically, all the wires that run to your speakers are in the trunk where the stock amp was........remove that fiqure out which wires run to which speaker and you can use them.

bmwm5lover
01-20-2004, 02:07 AM
im gonNA GIVE THOSE GUYS A CALL. MY CAR WHINES AND IT PISSES ME OFF.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-20-2004, 02:10 AM
mine whines too..i jus tell ppl its my supercharger ;)

bmwm5lover
01-20-2004, 02:14 AM
seb, tell me when u wanna go, ill come with u. maybe we can get a deal going...

SebSter
01-20-2004, 06:22 AM
yeah lets go to the one jay said.. i just need to pick up a deck first and we'll go

Mystikal
01-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Cool, we'll make it a mini-E30 meet, I'll show you guys how to get there. *th-up*

T.Dot_E30
01-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Sure Mini-meet......

Depends on when it is i might come, to seee what they do and then do it myself in the summer.

Im pretty sure i already know what they do......but jus for fun.

SebSter
01-21-2004, 03:27 AM
sweet lets do it, we'll set up a time when we're all free

la klasic
01-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Yes I had a second tweeter.

There is only one wire because the tweeter takes its ground from the chassi (as far as I could find out). So all you need is a positive signal.

I kept the tweeters and kick panel speakers as they are not that bad (they have a good mid range). If you plan to add a full component set, just remove all and rewire with new wiring.

The whine you are all getting could be because of power cables being too close to speaker cables causing interference/noise. Make sure you have your amp power cables on the passenger side (same side as the battery) and all other cables on the driver side. Use twisted wires for the signals from your deck to your amp (also pass those on the driver side).

If you can pay someone $50 and he will do it, it is sure worth it.

I also reused the existing wires within the car.

Good luck guys !!

T.Dot_E30
01-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Well my e30 has the battery in the back, No need to run cables to the back so i dont have that prob. I took my ground straight from the battery, so unless thats a bad thing, i can't be a bad ground. i dont think its coming from the power wires.

But it still makes the whine, i think its becus i ran the signal wires along the driverside where a big role of wires are also ran. In the summer i plan to re-route them to the passenger side.

Mystikal
01-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Guys, I need you all to tell me which of these nights you are free:

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday

I can do it on any of those.

SebSter
01-21-2004, 04:54 PM
if all goes to plan im picking up the new deck friday..so ill be good for any of those nights..actually i cant monday, so either tuesday or wed

T.Dot_E30
01-21-2004, 07:14 PM
any day is good except on ......wednesday i have class till 6. So depending on what its going to be i might b late

Mystikal
01-21-2004, 08:23 PM
6 is still okay.

So we have Tuesday or Wednesday. Terry? Jon?

bmwm5lover
01-22-2004, 04:20 AM
this fast??? holly guys... im out... i got exams, ISU's, etc.....

SebSter
01-22-2004, 04:43 AM
damn, well im getting my deck on friday so ill want to have it installed asap..

Mystikal
01-23-2004, 01:42 AM
Seb, why don't you come to the meet on Saturday night? Terry and Jon are both coming, and Trevor said he might. That way we can iron things out.

bmwm5lover
01-23-2004, 01:59 AM
i may be out of the meet. some stuff is turning up...

SebSter
01-23-2004, 03:44 AM
hmm i kinda have plans for saturday, but i have been craving some snow meets..so ill see if i can squeeze it in :)

T.Dot_E30
01-23-2004, 10:12 AM
sorrry guys an emergency came up....I can't make it

Im leaving the country for a few days.

SebSter
01-23-2004, 02:30 PM
well i guess its just me and u jay, what are you gonna need to get done there?

Mystikal
01-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Actually I ended up just installing my new (kickass) Phoenix Gold sub at Kennedy Hi-fi where I bought it, I have no need to go there. Just thought I'd be nice and show you guys the way. :) I think Jon still may come, if you make it tomorrow night we'll settle on a time to book it. *th-up*

SebSter
01-23-2004, 06:56 PM
damn, well then you know what im just gonna try to get it installed at a future shop or something tonight right after i get it, so if that works out then i wont need it anymore either...plus i dont wanna make you go all the way there just for me, so ill let you know later tonight if i got iit in stalled yet or not

SebSter
01-25-2004, 04:40 PM
well i wont need to go for a bit longer, the deck im getting doesnt have a preamp, so im gonna need to wait and save up a bit to get an amp for it too, so maybe in a couple of weeks..

Mystikal
01-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by SebSter
well i wont need to go for a bit longer, the deck im getting doesnt have a preamp, so im gonna need to wait and save up a bit to get an amp for it too, so maybe in a couple of weeks..

LOL, probably something you should have researched a bit more? :D

It's all good man. You'll have better quality sound than most of us with a nice 4-channel laying it down.

SebSter
01-25-2004, 08:42 PM
lol yeah seriously, research would have helped but even so id get the deck anyways its so sick , ill just have to wait a bit more till i can get it hooked up

tanksta
03-27-2006, 12:18 PM
seb did you get your car audio rewired? if so where and how much if you dont mind me asking..

any other input is welcome.. also seeking suggestions for speakers, i have clarion dxc845mc hooked up to premium sound system using the existing wiring.

T.Dot_E30
03-27-2006, 12:34 PM
damn, 2 year old thread.

lol you should have just PM'd him.

Slowered318
03-27-2006, 12:39 PM
I'll do it.. premium job! bring Grey Goose

tanksta
03-27-2006, 12:50 PM
you serious slowered? i would bring the grey goose no problem..

Slowered318
03-27-2006, 01:07 PM
you serious slowered? i would bring the grey goose no problem..

No im joking.. inside joke

I have done a lot of E30 installs.. got it down to an art now but its not exactly fun *drink*