PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading From Stock Audio...

uproared
01-19-2004, 01:07 PM
Howdy Guys,

I'm about to buy my 1st BMW (1st car full stop!), it's a 1995 BMW 318i Signature Edition.

Now, the stock sound system isn't *too* bad, but I'd like something a lot better. I was thinking about installing a sony cd player, with blaupunkt speakers & a blaupunkt sub.

I'm a complete "newbie" to this sort of thing, so does anybody have any recommendations? As far as I know, the current setup is just 4 speakers (2 tweeters in the door, and 2 speakers in the back)...I've yet to buy the car, so I'm just going from what I saw on my test drive.

What sort of prices should I expect to pay for a reasonable system? Any problems with installation with my model?

Cheers
Uproared

SebSter
01-19-2004, 03:46 PM
im not sure but there should be two speakers in the front on the doors too, not just the tweeters.. someone correct me if im wrong

325iSBimmer
01-19-2004, 04:29 PM
theres a few different setups on the e36
-there should always be 2 speakers in the kick panels
-there could be a tweeter in each front door
-and a mid in each front door
-and there should be a set in back parcel shelf

on my car I have the premium 10 speaker set up which is
- 2 4" speakers with tweeter in the kick panel
- 2 tweeters in the front doors
-2 mids in the front doors
-2 4" speakers in the back parcel shelf
-2 tweeters right next to the 4" speakers in the parcel shelf
( you have to take the cover off to see the seprate tweeters and speakers in the back)

98323IS
01-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Yes 325isBimmer is right, that is the setup. You should have a minimum of 8 speakers. As far as they go I would go with MB Quart. They make awesome stuff. As far as decks go I LOVE Alpine. Amazing quality and nice looking head units (which you can get with orange lighting). Subs is really up to you. I have Alpine Type R's and they are awesome. Hope this helps.

DAM
01-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Anyone want to tell me what a installation my one (1) sub in a box plus my amp would cost, i also need the wires

Mystikal
01-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by DAM
Anyone want to tell me what a installation my one (1) sub in a box plus my amp would cost, i also need the wires

Less than $100, more than $50.

DAM
01-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Less than $100, more than $50.

Huh, really, i have been quoted 120$ and 100-150$ at a place here in town and at perfect tones in milton:confused:

gnarfy
01-21-2004, 11:55 AM
I have the Harman Kardon Unit. If you could find one used, it's a really great sound system !