PDA

View Full Version : 19" rims bending

nseverin
01-19-2004, 12:16 AM
I want to sell my 18" rims to buy some 19" HM2's, but I'm worried about the streets in TO and sometimes I drive to New York City and the roads their are no better.
Have any of you had a problem with 19's bending on the streets
of TO.

WhadUpp
01-19-2004, 12:21 AM
I don't know about 19's bending but make sure the tire on the rim has a rim guard. At least that would help a bit. I've bent rims before but that's because they weren't forged. Forged aluminum rims are stronger than non-forged. Hope this helps

nseverin
01-19-2004, 12:26 AM
Thanx

AMG_POWER
01-19-2004, 01:03 AM
archie has Hartge 20" on his 540 and damn they bend he spent alot of money to fix them...

Jon@Bimmersport
01-19-2004, 01:22 AM
how did they bend?

mkgino
01-19-2004, 01:27 AM
19 HM2s are really heavy, and therefore durable. Just drive slowly

SickFinga
01-19-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
19 HM2s are really heavy, and therefore durable. Just drive slowly

heavy doesnt mean durable.

mkgino
01-19-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga
heavy doesnt mean durable. Yes it does. I will cut you chicko.

SickFinga
01-19-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by mkgino
Yes it does. I will cut you chicko.

17" steelies vs 17" ltw

which rims is stronger? steel rim is heavier.

mkgino
01-19-2004, 01:36 AM
17" steelies vs 17" ltw

which rims is stronger? steel rim is heavier. Its obvious your right, I was just trying to use a simple comparison. Ive pm-ed a couple of people on other boards asking how durable 19 inch HM2s are, and they said they are verydurable. I was just trying to keep the post simple. Geez Mr. Technical

nseverin
01-19-2004, 01:44 AM
so bottom line. HM2's are durable. what about SSR GT3's.
not to be a pest!
he he

Jon@Bimmersport
01-19-2004, 02:04 AM
SSR, Hamann, ACS, BBS, HRE, I-Forged are all good companys that use strong material...im sure it depends on their material.

ToBimer
01-19-2004, 04:39 AM
i had 17" bbs and they bended twice. i heard rx's are not as strong as new style bbs though.

Jon@Bimmersport
01-19-2004, 04:40 AM
really? i heard BBS are ALWAYS top notch..weird

Mitch555
01-19-2004, 04:48 AM
It all matters if the rim is soft or not. You can find this out by asking your local rim dealer about them.

My 19inch BBS CH's are strong! I love it!

Rims like 19inch Mille Miglia will bend like a champ if you hit the right pothole. Then again so will any rims but my point is Mille Miglia is a soft rim in comparison to mine.

I have not had any experience with the HM2's otherwise I'd help you out.

R_JAY
01-19-2004, 04:50 AM
Any idea what your CH weigh.

Mitch555
01-19-2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by R_JAY
Any idea what your CH weigh.

I believe they are 26 pounds a piece.

ToBimer
01-19-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Mitch555
It all matters if the rim is soft or not. You can find this out by asking your local rim dealer about them.

i was told the rx's in particular are a soft rim and others have experienced that they bend pretty easy.

CH's, RC's and other bbs are i hear are much stronger. does anyone know why the Rx's were made soft? is it cost, softer rim = lighter rim (for racing purpose), or are the soft ones lemons ? i would like to know because i was pretty pissed and surprised that happened to my rims, cause with the history and reputation of BBS i thought they would be stronger.

crazyvadim
01-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Any kind of rim gets bent in NYC aka pot hole city.

WASABI
01-19-2004, 01:50 PM
For really light and strong wheels, expect to pay big bucks, these are mainly for track use only. Rims we buy for the street/"track" that are off the shelf in wheel shops are either cast, or forged aluminum. Track wheels ($$$$) are also forged but a different (way better quality) material is used, that's why they cost a lot of money.

Cast aluminum/magnesium rims, which are mainly the "cheaper" ones are very heavy, but some companies have better methods of casting than others, thus tend be better in quality. These "better" ones are stronger and are less prone to bending. It has to do with the casting process and mixture of magnesium alloys. For those that don't know, casting is where you have a mold and "metal" is poured into these molds to form the rims.

Forged aluminum rims are much lighter, but they are more prone to bending and such. Forged rims are "stamped" while being heated.

Edit: Any rim is prone to bending, even the ones that cost $4000 per rim !

Justin e36
01-19-2004, 05:58 PM
dunno about you guys but the little 16's on my E36 are ALL bent now... just last week I started getting really bad steering wheel vibration at 60+ KM/h... ugh.

Got bent just by regular driving in Toronto... I'm iffy to spend $$$ on a nice pair of 18's now...

thinair
01-19-2004, 09:56 PM
I had 19's on my car, I did have a bending issue with the inner lips on them. The lips were rolled, not forged. Only the wheel face was forged.

All it takes is one mistake at speed and you get a nice dent, especially with 35 series tires.

nseverin
01-20-2004, 12:57 AM
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I hate hearing that but I still want the Hamann HM2's

R_JAY
01-20-2004, 04:18 AM
Damn, maybe I should stick to 17's now.

SickFinga
01-20-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by WASABI
For really light and strong wheels, expect to pay big bucks, these are mainly for track use only. Rims we buy for the street/"track" that are off the shelf in wheel shops are either cast, or forged aluminum. Track wheels ($$$$) are also forged but a different (way better quality) material is used, that's why they cost a lot of money.

Cast aluminum/magnesium rims, which are mainly the "cheaper" ones are very heavy, but some companies have better methods of casting than others, thus tend be better in quality. These "better" ones are stronger and are less prone to bending. It has to do with the casting process and mixture of magnesium alloys. For those that don't know, casting is where you have a mold and "metal" is poured into these molds to form the rims.

Forged aluminum rims are much lighter, but they are more prone to bending and such. Forged rims are "stamped" while being heated.

Edit: Any rim is prone to bending, even the ones that cost $4000 per rim !

Track rims are usually Forged Magnesium(very expensive)
If you think Forged aluminum rims are prone to bending you should see my rim after i just the curb when i got cut off, no dent, just a scratch.

Im pretty sure forged rim is stronger tha cast

WASABI
01-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Im pretty sure forged rim is stronger tha cast
True in most cases. Did you get your rim checked to see if it's still perfectly round ? Some rims, when you hit a curb or pothole, there's no visual damage, but bring it to a tire place and put it on the balancing machine with no tire, it's oval, and in some cases this cannot be felt while driving.

WhadUpp
01-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by WASABI
True in most cases. Did you get your rim checked to see if it's still perfectly round ? Some rims, when you hit a curb or pothole, there's no visual damage, but bring it to a tire place and put it on the balancing machine with no tire, it's oval, and in some cases this cannot be felt while driving.

Werd, That exactly what happened to me a couple of years ago with my old rims. They could not balance them because they were oval from hitting potholes. BTW, the strongest rims I have ever had and abused the most were my six spoke GSR factory rims that came stock with my car when I bought it new. :confused: These rims have gone over so many potholes at speed and are still true in their shape with absolutely no bending*th-up*

V-Thang
01-20-2004, 03:50 PM
HRE rims are really stront.

sirex
01-20-2004, 07:21 PM
17" steelies vs 17" ltw

which rims is stronger? steel rim is heavier.

they make steel rims?