PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Cold Air intake

Jammasterj
01-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Pros and cons of a cold air intake?
How much more power do you think that one could get from a cold air?

Pro
cold air

Con
hard to install
hard to clean
likely to get clogged with road dirt
subject to the elements

Your thoughts?*drink*

Mikester
01-18-2004, 11:53 PM
pay someone 10 bucks to install it for u
i didnt install mine myself, but it seems pretty easy

Mystikal
01-19-2004, 02:04 AM
For your M? You'd be lucky to gain anything really. There are no cheap acceleration upgrades for your car save for a shorter diff.

crusher
01-19-2004, 02:45 AM
you might want to check this out.. $950 for a Gruppe M intake

http://www.e46toronto.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=forsale&Number=12098&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

FastM3
01-19-2004, 03:56 AM
Ya I suggest getting a GruppeM intake also...those are definitely the best for E46 M3's!

I know someone that has one on his M3 and he loves it, he said he noticed some power change after he installed it (himself too) and overall he loves it.
Looks great too! :D

Jammasterj
01-19-2004, 04:00 AM
not specifically for the M
i installed one on my brothers Celica. WOW
made a huge difference, he has the GTS with the VVTI or something valve timing.
man that valve timing makes a huge difference in acceleration.that car is pretty dope and so fast at the high end

I was just wondering if it was worth the money to get the cold intake
or a regular one with a heat shield...i mean the regular one wouldn't get all the water and snow stuck in it

Jammasterj
01-19-2004, 04:03 AM
for the M though...
what does the exaust sound like? or the car ingeneral with an intake
i would be REALLY interested in hearing one! cuz right now it is a bit raspy

FastM3
01-19-2004, 04:13 AM
I'll ask my buddy to make a video of his.....ahhh shit actually his is stored right now so he probably can't, but I'll ask.

It sounds pretty cool, the original purr of the M still overpowers it but it's still nice.

Any CAI is going to help a regular car, but M's is a lot different. The GruppeM is worth it though, that definitely gives it an extra kick!

notmpowered
01-19-2004, 04:44 AM
The stock m3 airbox is made to flow air well. You will not get gains out of an everyday run of the mill CAI. Cons=everything, Pros=none. Get the gruppe m intake, it will look hot in the engine bay

jmalixi
01-21-2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Jammasterj
for the M though...
what does the exaust sound like? or the car ingeneral with an intake
i would be REALLY interested in hearing one! cuz right now it is a bit raspy

I assume you're talking about the E46 M3.... The raspiness of the E46 M3 US spec is due to the design of the mid-pipe for US emission laws. UUC has a mid-pipe for the M3 designed specifically to address this problem.

Not sure if I interpreted your post correctly but an intake will not help eliminate this raspiness. Check out UUC Motorwerks if you really want to eliminate the raspiness.

Hope that helps...

FastM3
01-21-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by jmalixi
I assume you're talking about the E46 M3.... The raspiness of the E46 M3 US spec is due to the design of the mid-pipe for US emission laws. UUC has a mid-pipe for the M3 designed specifically to address this problem.

Not sure if I interpreted your post correctly but an intake will not help eliminate this raspiness. Check out UUC Motorwerks if you really want to eliminate the raspiness.

Hope that helps...

Who would ever want to eliminate the raspiness of an ///M?! That's what makes the damn car sound so tough!

Jammasterj
01-21-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by jmalixi

Hope that helps...
Thanks man, ill check that out...
persoanlly i would like to make the M sound beefy not raspy...
like the M5!

jmalixi
01-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Pasta
Who would ever want to eliminate the raspiness of an ///M?! That's what makes the damn car sound so tough!

There's obviously a lot of people who want to remove the raspiness. UUC will not design and manufacture a mid-pipe to eliminate it if there's no demand for it.

Like anything else, everyone's got his/her preference. To each his own, I guess.

Gizmo
01-21-2004, 07:39 PM
That raspiness sound isn't just on US spec E46 M3's, here in South Africa they make the exact same sound...There are some performance shops that fix it though, I have heard the difference and it is alot more beafy!!!