PDA

View Full Version : How do I manually clean my ICV?

Autotechnica
01-18-2004, 05:14 PM
I've got an M42. I'm not having any problems with my motor, I'm just bored and want to work on my car :)

I figure since my car has high milage the previous owner probably has not cleaned the ICV (Idle control valve). I've read that every 80,000miles it should be cleaned. I've got 230,000km's so probably a good time to do so.

If anyone can redirect me to a site that has DIY information or just give me the gist of it, I'd apprecaite it.

And I don't care how cheap or expensive it is to have it done by someone else, I'm doing it myself dammit :D

Thanks,

Bryan

Gamite
01-18-2004, 08:24 PM
use a tooth brush

Autotechnica
01-18-2004, 10:32 PM
Ok.. let me rephraze the question. Where the heck is my ICV located, and how do I remove it? Secondly, what part should I be cleaning? I have no idea where this thing is located or what it even looks like. I assume it would be somewhere near my throttle body cable.

Thanks in advance :)

Bryan

kco325
01-19-2004, 05:55 AM
while you're at it, polish the outside with jeweller's rouge or a liquidy polish and a dremel / buffing wheel.
They shine right up...

Gamite
01-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Actually, I hear toothpaste works better.

Then use mouthwash to rinse it away.

Autotechnica
01-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Anyone else want to help me with this?

I'm not asking how to clean it. I'm asking where the thing is!

Thanks,

Bryan

Jase
01-19-2004, 07:33 PM
got a pic of your engine bay? I will circle it for you

Autotechnica
01-19-2004, 07:57 PM
thanks! :)

crazyvadim
01-20-2004, 04:57 AM
It should be somewhere around your throttle body i believe.

fabianyee
01-20-2004, 06:24 AM
It's underneath the top half of the intake manifold.
You have to remove the top of the intake manifold to get access to the ICV

Autotechnica
01-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by fabianyee
It's underneath the top half of the intake manifold.
You have to remove the top of the intake manifold to get access to the ICV

You've got to be kidding me. That's a hell of a lot of work! I've swapped out manifolds on the M42 before and it takes hours, the fuel lines and hoses are such a pain in the ass. Are you positive about this?

Thanks,

Bryan

fabianyee
01-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
You've got to be kidding me. That's a hell of a lot of work! I've swapped out manifolds on the M42 before and it takes hours, the fuel lines and hoses are such a pain in the ass. Are you positive about this?

Thanks,

Bryan

Not kidding you, it is underneath the top half manifold. Actually, you can loosen the top half manifold while keeping whatever hoses in place, just relocate it enuf for you to reach the ICV...

I know it's where I said it is, as I was there when my mechanic remove the top half manifold to replace the engine temp sensor. That was a b*tch to replace as well....

While at it, I saw the '3rd' butterfly throttle.... Interesting how this little thing can improve the low and midrange torque...

Autotechnica
01-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by fabianyee
Not kidding you, it is underneath the top half manifold. Actually, you can loosen the top half manifold while keeping whatever hoses in place, just relocate it enuf for you to reach the ICV...

I know it's where I said it is, as I was there when my mechanic remove the top half manifold to replace the engine temp sensor. That was a b*tch to replace as well....

While at it, I saw the '3rd' butterfly throttle.... Interesting how this little thing can improve the low and midrange torque...

Thanks for the info. I think that's a much larger project than I have time for right now. I was thinking of tinkering with something that would take a few hours at most.

I agree with you, the technology used in the M42 motors are quite impressive. I'm constantly impressed as I learn new things about my motor that I had no clue existed before :) I could do with a little more power though.

Bry

Gamite
01-20-2004, 07:10 PM
get a long toothbrush that will reach under, see! problem solved!